• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Wolfenstien TNC rewarded in review scores for its SJW agenda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDMIX

What exactly was the SJW agenda in the game, can you give some examples because I've seen none. Yes it does seem to empower the women more but that's about it and it wasn't exaggerated. My guess the higher score is the fact that it's a lot more story focused and for critics that's a plus. I had no issues with the gameplay, it was as fun as the previous 2 games and not to mention a lot of scenes were hillarious af (hitler scene).

"What exactly was the SJW agenda in the game, can you give some examples because I've seen none" Exactly. At this point, the term seems to be used by folks that just hate something, be like "awww this pizza is saw SJW" lol

They've hurt the meaning of it so badly, that it seems like anything is SJW without really giving any real proof or evidence. Based on such logic, everything is "SJW", Mafia is SJW, it empowered me...a black guy
Uncharted is SJW, it empowered a white guy
Forza is SJW, its out here empowering cars aka agenda
Nier is SJW, it empowered robots to take over the world with their AI and automation agenda complex

Its like, we get it folks ,games can't have anything about anyone as it will be da agendaz.

At some point, can't the higher score just be because its a better game to some who played it? I don't get why everything must be a conspiracy to some folks.

zeorhymer

At some point, can't the higher score just be because its a better game to some who played it? I don't get why everything must be a conspiracy to some folks.
Because you will get the reviewers purposefully giving lower/higher scores depending if the game matches their agenda and creating an echo chamber to get themselves noticed.

For the record, you would be pretty goddamned racist too if you were a black person living in Nazi occupied New York in an alternate 1961. That’s how war works, you demonize the opposition, often racially.

Want me to recite some of the names American soldiers had for the Vietnamese during that war?

So why exactly do you continue to think that Grace is embodies SJW values? I really don’t understand.

It's not a bad point about the Vietcong... but no such racism is justified, even when your home was invaded by Nazis. That doesn't make the whole race bad, so how can you justify it?

"Not Monsters. Men."

Is quite the SJW quote, don'tcha think?

Fuck Nazi is now a SJW agenda? lol
Yes, when they slander people... when they're not Nazis. They're calling Trump and his supporters "Nazis".

"What exactly was the SJW agenda in the game, can you give some examples because I've seen none" Exactly. At this point, the term seems to be used by folks that just hate something, be like "awww this pizza is saw SJW" lol

They've hurt the meaning of it so badly, that it seems like anything is SJW without really giving any real proof or evidence. Based on such logic, everything is "SJW", Mafia is SJW, it empowered me...a black guy
Uncharted is SJW, it empowered a white guy
Forza is SJW, its out here empowering cars aka agenda
Nier is SJW, it empowered robots to take over the world with their AI and automation agenda complex

Its like, we get it folks ,games can't have anything about anyone as it will be da agendaz.

You're missing the point. Uncharted is SJW because Nadine was a Mary Sue who took on two fully grown men at once, and it was made by a team full of SJW's.

Last edited:
It's not a bad point about the Vietcong... but no such racism is justified, even when your home was invaded by Nazis. That doesn't make the whole race bad, so how can you justify it?

"Not Monsters. Men."

Yes, when they slander people... when they're not Nazis. They're calling Trump and his supporters "Nazis".

You're missing the point. Uncharted is SJW because Nadine was a Mary Sue who took on two fully grown men at once, and it was made by a team full of SJW's.

Lol. Nathan Drake defeats 100s of men regularly. Why aren't you crying about how unreal that is and just more male propaganda. Calling everything you see SJW is the definition of a snowflake. Grow up already.

EDMIX

"Not Monsters. Men."

"Nadine was a Mary Sue who took on two fully grown men at once" yea, and Nathan took on like hundreds of dudes... maybe it was made by a team making a work of fiction maybe? Like....its not real and made for fun?

Omali

"Not Monsters. Men."

Only if you're desperately seeking something to get triggered by, otherwise you'd recognize she was talking about mankind and how cruel people can be to one another.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm gonna reiterate my point: killing nazi is not SJW. Making parallel between Nazi and current day republicans sort of is:

https://mashable.com/2017/10/31/wolfenstein-2-easter-egg-trump-neo-nazi-facism/?europe=true

https://hothardware.com/news/bethes...i-killing-slogan-make-america-nazi-free-again

So they just used the current political climate to what they thought would be their advantage. It worked for reviews (at least I think so) but user reviews are not so kind.

Most people thought the game was good though. And most user reviews agreed. And the media didn't treat this game as the best game of all time. They just thought it was "good". Not great.

OHYiUoP.png

Last edited:

EDMIX

"Not Monsters. Men."

" so how can you justify it?" How is he justifying it?

"no such racism is justified, even when your home was invaded by Nazis" Ummmm ok pal, you can feel that way, but the folks making the games are not making it based on what they think the world should or shouldn't be like morally....they are making a work of fiction and racism exist in their world because it exist in ours.

So when you go out in the world today, rape exist, violence exist, racism exist, homosexuality exist, regions exist, politics exist etc

It is not saying one justifies it because it exist in their game, it exist in their game because it exist in real life.

It would be like saying something as dumb as "so how can you justify someone killing" (and we are talking about a fictional game....) Soooooo no, someone dying in the game doesn't mean they JUSTIFY killing in real life. Stop arguing fictional work as moral concepts.

At some point you must understand games, film, television, books etc can be works of fiction and the content in those works doesn't mean the person writing it supports those concepts morally.

Last edited:

dalekjay

The game offends more sjw than it’s a sjw

You people in the future will be the “old man scream at cloud” ppl
Any game that kills nazi already gets free points from me anyway, even Pokémon should have a Nazi killing mode

Aside from that i would like it to be more doom like.

Last edited:

Ian Henry

TNC wasn't a bad game. It was really good but the controls felt a little off. Other than that, it was all 💯💯💯.

I'm really confused about TNO getting a 79. That was one of the best games of 2014. Should've been in the 85-90 range tbh.

megamerican

I think it benefitted from people retroactively realizing how good the first game was.

From the few hours I played I didn't pick up many of the vibes people are talking about here, but I didn't have my feelers out. I will say it felt off, nowhere as fun as the first game, and I had no desire to finish it at all.

Dacon

Banned
The only liberal cringe that comes to mind rn from my playthrough a while ago is when the ugly black woman lectures BJ on describing badassery by saying someone has balls, and immediately after BJ uses the word white like an insult against the attacking nazis. The worst part of the game is the gameplay tbh, the constant interruptions by cutscenes, the claustrophobic levels, and the random difficulty spikes. GGmanlives has the review I agree with the most.

Last edited:
Reactions: 888

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
The New Colossus was more replayable than the first one. Going back to kill officers, grab missed collectibles and stuff didn't get old before the content was gone.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just exhausted with threads like these hurting the credibility of a messageboard I’ve been part of for the better part of 15 years, that’s all.

Seriously... Imagine thinking Wolfenstein II is some SJW propaganda and posting crazy poorly made conspiracy videos from YouTube about it.

If Nadine is a Mary Sue then what the hell is Nathan Drake?

I gave you an example, but I'm going to say Grace Walker, to be specific as that's who I was talking about. She's very racist/anti-white.

I mean... did you just completely ignore the context and setting in which she existed in the game?

Last edited by a moderator:

Typhares

Most people thought the game was good though. And most user reviews agreed. And the media didn't treat this game as the best game of all time. They just thought it was "good". Not great.

OHYiUoP.png

I was looking at PC user scores which went from 8.2 (critics 8.1) for TNO to 6.7 (critics 8.6) for TNC. So critics valued 2 more than 1 but PC gamers did not.
I can see xboxone also 6.3 user score, only on ps4 it's that high for some reason.
I didn't say the game was garbage, just that it is inferior to the first imo. Most players seem to agree, critics went the other way. I'd give it a 6 (above average), the first get an 8 (great) for me.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
5dsB93y.png

Fucking white asses. Thank God he didn't say that about someone else, cus that would be, you know.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
"Not Monsters. Men."

You're the same kinda person who'd get upset when people try to change "fireman" to "firefighter" and argue that "man just means human!". Which you'd be totally correct in saying, but it works both ways. Grace is talking about mankind's capability for cruelty, not "people with dicks are evil".

The main person Grace has beef with in TNC is a woman, not a man. She constantly berates that woman for being a Nazi (since she's a defector) and then the character (and thus the writers) calls Grace out on her behaviour later on. It actually criticises Grace's blanket "white is evil" approach and makes the case that it's not the right way to look at it, even when you're surrounded by mostly evil white men. Shit, he has a baby with a white man and is at her most vulnerable when losing him. I don't know how all of this somehow went over your head, did you actually play the game to the end..?

ruvikx

Banned
5dsB93y.png

Fucking white asses. Thank God he didn't say that about someone else, cus that would be, you know.

SJW's hate white people but also believe white people don't even exist & declare whites evil when they partake in any form of identity politics (i.e. identity politics which they promote for their own favorite racial groups). Moral of the story? SJW's are anti-white, xenophobic, racist piles of shit.

Last edited:

Acidizer

Banned
Because you will get the reviewers purposefully giving lower/higher scores depending if the game matches their agenda and creating an echo chamber to get themselves noticed.

Eurogamer reviews dropped the scores, but Dead or Alive 5 had a RECOMMENDED badge, which must mean it's a good or great game. Dead or Alive 6 had no such badge, and summarised it as "naff and likely to embarrass". Not really high praise, and kind of missing the point on multiple fronts.

Is this because they brung back bouncing titties or what? Is it really an inferior game not worth recommending?

The review is clearly agenda based and it got the clicks they were looking for...

DOA 5 - 71 comments
DOA 6 - 741 comments

Could this be any more conclusive? This garbage is warping media. Now, do you think they are going to go back to serious on-point reviews? Or pedal shite like Polygon and Kotaku and literally get 10x the hits?

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned

"Nadine was a Mary Sue who took on two fully grown men at once" yea, and Nathan took on like hundreds of dudes... maybe it was made by a team making a work of fiction maybe? Like....its not real and made for fun?

I think that this exchange kind of illustrates where the community and the industry is at right now.

I honestly believe that if Nadine shows up in a video game in the late 90s and early 2000s a conversation like this never happens. Most people would think it's cool or that she is a badass. Only the most thorough critic would get into things like possible shallowness of the character etc.

Its very likely that the people making games back then were left leaning and maybe even injected their politics into their games.
I don't think anybody minded too much and sometimes its even cool when a game explores deeper themes.

In these past few years though it just feels like the landscape has changed.
You have a seemingly endless supply of "activists" giving their hot takes and airing their complaints against the gaming industry.
Days Gone is too white. FarCry 5 doesn't take a stand politically. Mario is misogynist. The artwork on this box is embarrassing. Fire Emblem doesn't have enough LGBTQ representation. Angry Video Game Nerd knows a guy who made a racist joke 15 years ago, don't watch his videos. Colin Moriarty made one very tame joke one time, blacklist him from the industry.

With this as a background it just feels like every videogame decision that could make these people happy is deliberately designed to pander to them.
It's not necessarily the case though.

For example, if the next FromSoftware game includes an easy mode then maybe that was their own choice but it sure as hell is going to look like they are pandering to a certain demographic.

It doesn't matter in the end, you can decide to buy the game or not, but it's just disappointing to feel like these really fucking annoying whiners have the ear of big developers and they are always getting something.

I think EDMIX EDMIX gets to the truth of it. The game is not real and made for fun and if it's SJW bullshit that Nadine beats up 2 dudes than it's some crazy crazy bullshit that Nathan Drake kills 100s of dudes and is pretty chipper about it all.

I can see where the idea that TNC is an SJW pander-fest comes from and I wouldn't be surprised if it did get a wee bump in reviews because certain elements feel like the game is made just for them or just to annoy their boogeyman of the day.

Sometimes it is possible to look TOO deeply though and maybe then you end up seeing things that aren't really there.

I just don't think this kind of argument would even be taking place in the PS1 and PS2 days and I think a game like TNC would have fit into those eras pretty well. Probably the only drama would have been "it's too violent" and even then the counter argument would not be "so you think beating the Nazis is bad?"

Sad times. Maybe this is why I just prefer Nintendo stuff and more arcade like experiences these days.
Seems like every big "cinematic" style AAA game comes with a load of arguing over who it panders too and who is happy about something in the game and who is butthurt about something in the game.

Saruhashi

Banned
Any game that kills nazi already gets free points from me anyway, even Pokémon should have a Nazi killing mode

No. This is taking it too far in the other direction. :)

Fuck, could you imagine? Pokemon Allies and Pokemon Axis.

Think of the crazy shit they could come up with in a "Pokemon meets World War 2" concept.

Saruhashi

Banned
I would like everyone who vehemently argued that the game has no SJW elements and pandering to comment this pic plz.

How can you not see this as a joke?

I took it as him being inspired/impressed by Grace and so he is "channeling" her in a way. The joke being that BJ himself is white.
Even the delivery of the voice actor seemed to be getting that across pretty well, I would have said.

I saw it as a joke anyway.

Terenty

How can you not see this as a joke?

I took it as him being inspired/impressed by Grace and so he is "channeling" her in a way. The joke being that BJ himself is white.
Even the delivery of the voice actor seemed to be getting that across pretty well, I would have said.

I saw it as a joke anyway.

Ok, i admit i didn't get to that point in the game, so you are probably correct.

But nevertheless framing it as a white vs black thing, when in reality it was white people who suffered the most from fascism seems wrong to me.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Ok, i admit i didn't get to that point in the game, so you are probably correct.

But nevertheless framing it as a white vs black thing, when in reality it was white people who suffered the most from fascism seems wrong to me.

No of course, don't actually finish the game yourself, just take out-of-context images and then "what now, SJWs?!".

The people he's addressing are, of course, all white. They are also fascists. They are also Nazis. None of what he's saying is false, other than they're not literally pigs. They're not framing it as "black vs. white", they're simply saying that the people committing the heinous acts here are white-ass white people. Which they are. It's the exact same thing as black people calling each other niggas, they're not being racist and they're not claiming black supremacy. Have you really never called your white friends white as an insult when they do really white person shit like yoga, or ordering caramel lattes? Maybe that's just me.

I don't know about any overt agenda pushing but it should have been docked for that horrendous cover that plays over the credits. Jesus fucking Christ, man.

This right here is the real reason people should be upset.

Omali

You're not taking the fictional world that Wolfenstein exists in into account. New York City is nuked which forces the already-broken US into surrender. When the Nazis invade the mainland they systematically round up minorities, reinstitute slavery, and perform another genocide on the rest with mass executions on the normal populace every time an insurgency shows up. White people are promised the world by simply complying and going along with things, so for a character like Grace Walker she watched her race get wiped out and basically a large portion of the country just sat back and watched it happen because they either saw the futility in fighting back, or they were opportunistic assholes like BJ's father who didn't care about the suffering of others as long as he got his.

Dunki

I do not know about TNC but this is certainly the case with Youngblood. The reviews scores are astounding when you look how Wolfenstein has become a GAAS game these people normally hate so much. The fact that you have to level up in A wolfenstein game alone to be able to kill some people is fucking terrible.

Youngblood only got over 50% scores because of the protagonists and the fact that they are killing Nazis.

dalekjay

No. This is taking it too far in the other direction. :)

Think of the crazy shit they could come up with in a "Pokemon meets World War 2" concept.
Nintendo should just drop a truck full of cash to you for the idea.
I bet the Allies Pokémon “frontman” will be Syberius snow type god Pokémon

Terenty

The people he's addressing are, of course, all white. They are also fascists. They are also Nazis. None of what he's saying is false, other than they're not literally pigs. They're not framing it as "black vs. white", they're simply saying that the people committing the heinous acts here are white-ass white people. Which they are. It's the exact same thing as black people calling each other niggas, they're not being racist and they're not claiming black supremacy. Have you really never called your white friends white as an insult when they do really white person shit

I'm from Russia we dont operate with such notions as white, black, yellow, green or whatever, we dont have such an all encompassing race problem here, its strictly an American thing. But how is calling a white person "white-ass" is the same as black people calling each other "niggas"? I thought it was prohibited for whites to call blacks "niggas", no? How come she can call white people "white ass" and its somehow acceptable and funny, but not vice versa?

I'm not offended by it whatsoever because its ridiculous to be offended by a game, i have other problems in life, just want to understand

Last edited:

zeorhymer

Let the backtracking begin!

They made something similar. It's called Pokemon Conquest. Basically Pokemon meets Nobunaga's Ambition

joe_zazen

You thought it was worse but these reviews didn't see it that way.
Besides, if "SJW agenda" is the reason why it reviewed better, shouldn't the new one be reviewed better than 77 on MC as well?

Good question.

Mood has shifted because USA concentration camps, end of elections, and Putin’s takeover never happened, so no need to massage scores to save the world? Everyone sane realises now that the election of trump shifted things a a degree or two and nothing more, so no need to massage scores to save the world? The same people who controlled things under Obama still control things, and Hillary Clinton would not have changed that, so no need to massage scores to save the world? Reviewers realise video game reviews are consumer guides, not culture shifting works of Art? Bethesda’s marketing budget for this game was like 1/100th of the New Colossus’, so no money for reviewer manipulation?

Dont know, should ask the reviewers i guess.

joe_zazen

I'm from Russia we dont operate with such notions as white, black, yellow, green or whatever, we dont have such an all encompassing race problem here, its strictly an American thing. But how is calling a white person "white-ass" is the same as black people calling each other "niggas"? I thought it was prohibited for whites to call blacks "niggas", no? How come she can call white people "white ass" and its somehow acceptable and funny, but not vice versa?

I'm not offended by it whatsoever because its ridiculous to be offended by a game, i have other problems in life, just want to understand

You can say whatever you want in the US because of freedom of speech ...but a white person using any variant of the N word will have committed career suicide, a black person using racial epithets will not suffer the same fate. Black comedians and artists, for example, have waaaaay more material to play with here. It all has to do with social norms and enforcement thereof.

EDMIX

"nevertheless framing it as a white vs black thing"

But get this.....that is how it might really be viewed if that ever happened though. The developer is not saying what it is as a matter of literal fact in this world, they are showing a glimpse into how people would react.

" in reality it was white people who suffered the most from fascism " If this really happened, do you legit believe not a single person would say stuff like that simply because that is a fact?

Put it this way.... more people in the United States Of America who are white are killed by the police. Does that mean in a video game you'd make ONLY the white people talk about police killings and brutality? Do you not understand that what we know as FACT has next to nothing to do with how people actually behave? So we might know that for sure its more white people killed by the police, but the reality is....those marches, protest, looting and unrest were more felt and shown by the black community.

Its not saying what I want it to be, its saying what I KNOW THE REALITY TO BE OF THAT OUTCOME. So it wouldn't surprise me if someone made that comment in real life if what happens in the game really happened, as sure...you know for a fact about that, that doesn't mean all the characters in the game know, care or will express the same view. You can't mirror the characters to behave as if they are in some vacuum. You know that as a person to be a fact, but come on now bud, you also know regardless of that fact, people will have different views. It would be like me making a game and saying "in reality, all races are the same, so my characters will reflect that" (and I'm making a game referenced from LA in 1994). I'm sure I know that to be true.......what on earth does that have to do with making the game when we know regardless of what someone knows to be true, has no relevance to other people.

My take on it is simple. If it exist in real life, put it in the game. Even folks who hate activist and folks who always argue social politcs....consider this, they exist in real life, why would they NOT EXIST IN A GAME REFERENCED OF REAL LIFE? I hate murders too, my game going to have zero murder? I hate rapist too, nothing like that going on in my game? At some point you must realize it has nothing to do with what you want reality to be based on what you know to be true, it has to do with that you also know people exist RIGHT NOW that disagree with you, so in a world referenced from our own, you really believe no one would disagree with you then and have different views even in light of facts?

Its why I was ok with the N word being used in Mafia 3 and I'm black. Its not saying I'd like to be called that, its saying its based on a time where folks legit said stuff like that, if I agree with it or not is irrelevant to that. I may not like racist, but they exist in real life, why would they suddenly not exist in a game with humans?

Seems like every big "cinematic" style AAA game comes with a load of arguing over who it panders too and who is happy about something in the game and who is butthurt about something in the game.

10000% Agreed and good read on a through post. Its why I never base what I purchase based on that nonsense. The same side worried about something being forced in a game, then ignores that the same thing can be stated about the games they already play. Why stop at women and POC, thats an awful amount of white dudes in those games, must be da "aGenDAz" lol

They don't even get they are arguing the same dumb points. I 100% agree with you too that in a different time, we never got junk articles making those claims about any game, but its not as if we never had religion, politics etc and I'm sure all developers have some views on that. They had just as much ability to alter what they put in their games then as they do today. I've never had an issue with it as in film, books, television etc all have the ability for someone to have this in their work. I simply don't care. They have free will. Folks who want to argue about it being "forced" in a game, must consider by that logic all views are "forced" in works referencing real life.

A game set in New York, a Jewish person walks buy "must be an agenda"
Person of color "must be an agenda"
Homeless person "must be an agenda"
Italian person "must be an agenda"
Homosexual person "must be an agenda"
Asian person "must be an agenda"
Guy folds pizza slice "must be an agenda by the thin crust pizza industry to push their THIN CRUST VIEWS DOWN OUR THROATS" lol

So if someone can see this in a game and react this way, have they not been to New York and seen the people? Have they not been to any major city in America? Have they not read a book, watched a movie or TV show either?

At some point its just beyond logic to even see those views as rational. Come back to us from Nintendo one day lol , got a lot of gamers left that just play games for fun and don't worry so much about who the developer prays to or votes for lol

EDMIX

"I'm from Russia we dont operate with such notions as white, black, yellow, green or whatever, we dont have such an all encompassing race problem here" Yea....I 100% doubt that buddy, like its not really a feasible thing to say "we don't operate with such" as you are not every Russian person. So not a single racist person exist in Russia? Like ever?

So I'm not saying you behave that way, but you nor I can control with other people do, not enough to be out here making strange statements like "we dont operate with such notions as white, black, yellow, green or whatever" etc. So...clearly some folks in that country just like America um "operate" that way.

" I thought it was prohibited for whites to call blacks "niggas" , Well...its frowned upon, but yes...they can physically open their mouths and say that...

"How come she can call white people "white ass" and its somehow acceptable and funny, but not vice versa?" Well....yes in Vice Versa, a black person calling someone else "black ass" is not seen as something they are doing to take offence as they are too black and its made to be done in a joking manor as like you would jest with a friend on a inside joke....

Both races very much can make comments like that on each others race and it not been seen as something made to be offensive or anything.

So a white person saying "white ass" is not saying they hate all white people.
So a black person saying "black ass" is not saying they hate all black people.

EDMIX

You can say whatever you want in the US because of freedom of speech ...but a white person using any variant of the N word will have committed career suicide, a black person using racial epithets will not suffer the same fate. Black comedians and artists, for example, have waaaaay more material to play with here. It all has to do with social norms and enforcement thereof.

"a white person using any variant of the N word will have committed career suicide, a black person using racial epithets will not suffer the same fate" As a black person living in the United States, thats 100% wrong btw.

ANY PERSONS Career would be in jeopardy using racist language. Sorry but if you working, you can't just openly say racist stuff and expect to still have a job simple because you are one race vs the other or something. So a black person can't say the N word to a customer, they can't call that customer a "redneck" or "trailer trash" etc and expect to keep their jobs, I'd love to hear about any situation that legit resulted in that person not being fired.

"Black comedians and artists" Comedians in general are understood to be making satire.... so its a moot point, that would apply to all comedians regardless of race.

gatti-man

TNO was the superior game to me (played both front to back). But TNC has a better story and more variety. TNO felt old school TNC tried a lot of forced sneaking which I hated. It didn’t feel like a sequel to me really. Because the games play very differently.

I disagree that any SJW stuff earned it higher scores. People like what they like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom