• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 60fps on PS4? [Update: 1080/60fps text removed from website]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayEH

I think it's a mistake but I can't wait for the PR statement if this is true. Maybe they'll pull a Tomb Raider "Anything above 30fps is gravy." Hahahahaha.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yeah that's where I saw it. Just checked and Towerfall is also listed as 720p but the PS page doesn't even have a res listed, so who knows at this point lol

Yeah, I mean, it's pretty much all but confirmed that there will be a resolution difference but the "what if" at this point is if the game really is 60 FPS.

I highly doubt this. Infamous didn't hit 60fps all the time, and it looks like Watch Dogs has a lot of more complex things going on.

I think to Ubisoft, "can hit 60fps" means "runs at 60fps".

I highly doubt this. Infamous didn't hit 60fps all the time, and it looks like Watch Dogs has a lot of more complex things going on.

I think to Ubisoft, "can hit 60fps" means "runs at 60fps".
Graphically Infamous seems more intensive though. All of those particle effects...

But then again, the world of Infamous was pretty small and un-interactive.

Bloodrage

Banned
Well, Infamous ran at 30 fps so there's that...
Only if you locked it.

What? Where? What does it say?

Try to be a little more specific here please..
No further confirmation unless DryvBy is talking about a different "article."

Much has been made of Watch Dogs graphics from the earliest reveal at E3 2012 through the most recent trailer focused on the cast. Now, Sony is heating up that conversation, touting that Watch Dogs on PlayStation 4 will offer "the best graphics on any console."

The game’s listing on the PlayStation website makes a bold claim. “Hack everything as you make your way through Chicago’s underground as you experience Watch_Dogs (sic) in a way that only PS4 can provide, at 60 Frames Per Second in 1080p,” says the blurb.

The listing also says that the PlayStation exclusive content is only limited by time, and that it will be coming to PC. We’ve reached out to Ubisoft to inquire about resolution and frame rate on Xbox One and whether the timed exclusivity means Xbox One gamers will be able to eventually play those missions, too. We also asked if the frame rate is locked at 60 or variable.

Watch Dogs will be out on Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and PC on May 27. A Wii U version is coming later in the year. For more, check out a rundown of the multiplayer modes and our recent hands-on with the single-player campaign.

III-V

I don't think they would advertise 60 fps if it wasn't. Its a substantial claim and not a mistake one would put ibn bold print. Most likely, its unlocked 60 fps with dips, similar to Tomb Raider, but less effects.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I don't believe it until see retail version running at 60fps on PS4 with my own eyes. IF they do somehow manage to achieve that, then major major props to the dev team.

t0rment

does people still don't know that there's no way to ''lock'' a framerate, and what the devs do is only cap the fps?

does people still don't know that there's no way to ''lock'' a framerate, and what the devs do is only cap the fps?
People mean a consistent 60fps with no dropped frames. If it can be done with 30fps it can be done with 60fps games.

Not that I require 60fps in my games, but I really do appreciate it as it makes a tremendous difference.

velociraptor

Look I'd even take 50FPS but I am highly skeptical. As far as I'm concerned, Watch Dogs is a 25FPS game unless proven otherwise.

Infamous ran great though - smooth FPS, tight controls. May not be 60 but it feels superb.

Myansie

Considering the game is crossgen it's entirely plausible to have a version on ps4 running at 60fps. If it is 60 I'll buy it. All the extra pretty effects 30fps affords you are lost in the motion blur. The awesome thing about 60fps is that when the camera is moving, in practice it's 95% of the time, the screen falls away and you get an amazing 3d effect. The graphics pop in a way that no effect at 30fps can mimic.

delta25

Banned
saw the thread title and instantly knew without even entering that PC gaf would have a pretty big stake in the discussion at hand, and I'm really not sure why.

anywho.

I'm inclined to think that this may be a typo, but who knows.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
People mean a consistent 60fps with no dropped frames. If it can be done with 30fps it can be done with 60fps games.

Not that I require 60fps in my games, but I really do appreciate it as it makes a tremendous difference.

I think this is an impossible standard, though. I think I generally understand what people mean, but that would mean that a game that drops frames at 30 fps wouldn't be 30 fps.

I think "generally 60 fps" is what most people do (or should?) mean when they say 60 fps games. No one contests Calladuty Gen 7 was 60 fps, as a point of comparison.

Granted, you do have examples of truly locked framerates-- some Nintendo games, Forza 5, Ground Zeroes-- but if a game like RAGE drops frames every once in a while, I'm still calling it 60 fps.

edit: impossible is obviously not the right word since games do it

saw the thread title and instantly knew without even entering that PC gaf would have a pretty big stake in the discussion at hand, and I'm really not sure why.

anywho.

I'm inclined to think that this may be a typo, but who knows.

As a pc gamer who's played ubisoft games before I just find it doubtfull because Ubisoft is terrible at optimizing their games at least when it comes to the pc. However the ps4 is a console still I find it doubtful that ubisoft can do what sucker punch couldn't unless they noticibly dumb down the graphics.

mreddie

Sees thread...

1306866467_jumping_out_the_window.gif

I think this is an impossible standard, though. I think I generally understand what people mean, but that would mean that a game that drops frames at 30 fps wouldn't be 30 fps.

I think "generally 60 fps" is what most people do (or should?) mean when they say 60 fps games. No one contests Calladuty Gen 7 was 60 fps, as a point of comparison.

Granted, you do have examples of truly locked framerates-- some Nintendo games, Forza 5, Ground Zeroes-- but if a game like RAGE drops frames every once in a while, I'm still calling it 60 fps.

It's all a matter of how often it drops. I wouldn't call Tomb Raider 60 fps myself (and let's all remember that Square Enix didn't either), but BO2 MP I would. I certainly would say Trials Fusion is, even though it can drop very rarely.

Almost every game drops, but some do much more than others.

I wouldn't call GTA5 or The Last of Us PS3 30 fps.

If it's Tomb Raider esque performance, I think calling it 60 is stretching it. If it's above that, fine.

If it's really 60, I'm probably back on board. I wasn't happy with the graphics after the reveal (and after inFamous) but if its 60 fps... well that's a whole different matter.

delta25

Banned
As a pc gamer who's played ubisoft games before I just find it doubtfull because Ubisoft is terrible at optimizing their games at least when it comes to the pc. However the ps4 is a console still I find it doubtful that ubisoft can do what sucker punch couldn't unless they noticibly dumb down the graphics.

Oh I agree, but I'm really not sure why PC gaf would have any interest in a thread like this.

Regarding Tomb Raider: It's been a while, but I don't remember it dropping very often. There were some points where the PS4 struggled to keep it at a constant level, but it felt really fluent. Or are you guys talking about at constant framerate between 30 and 60, let's say ~45? I don't really know, but it clearly felt more responsive than all the other PS4 games I played so far.

delta25

Banned
If PS4 can manage ~60 FPS, it could be good news for medium-end PC owners hoping for decent performance. Could.

I really don't think this is the case at all. But in your case its defiantly a valid one and I'll give you that.

edit:
Truth be told being that this is a ubisoft game, comparing console performance to a PC equivalent in hardware for a performance comparison really isn't the greatest idea

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I really don't think this is the case at all. But in your case its defiantly a valid one and I'll give you that.

edit:
Truth be told being that this is a ubisoft game, comparing console performance to a PC equivalent in hardware for a performance comparison really isn't the greatest idea
It would indicate that the game is less CPU limited than other Ubi games in the past, since the CPU in the PS4 isn't a powerhouse.

Ateron

All this talk makes me wonder if TPP will still be 60fps when it releases. Sure it's not a sprawling city with tons of cars roaming around but if the game is as big as kojima says, I don't t know how will they pull it off. I don't t believe watchdogs will be 60fps. "Ubi" and "60fps on console" definately don't mix,but I hope I m wrong

styl3s

Do we really need 60fps for Watch Dogs? I'd take better visuals at 30fps.
30fps is unplayable according to quite a few gaffers.

I can believe 1080/60 on PS4 but do i think it will be locked? Probably not but either way it really doesn't matter because i am a-ok with 30fps.

Hoje0308

Banned
Do we really need 60fps for Watch Dogs? I'd take better visuals at 30fps.

Personally, I don't need it, but I do prefer extra frames over effects. In my experience, if a game is good enough to really pull you in, you get to a point where you barely even notice how good the graphics are, or how smooth the frame rate is. However, even though you may not be consciously thinking about these things as the suspension of disbelief has its grip on you, the extra responsiveness of a higher frame rate will help you enjoy the game more, regardless of awareness. I suppose you could make the same argument from the other end of the spectrum, however. So yeah, opinions.

I feel the same for this game. Bring on upgradeaton.

Can optimism and hyperbolic thread titles even exist on GAF at the same time?

I fully expected 30fps, still expect 30fps, and if it launched at 60fps, locked or unlocked, I would consider that pleasant surprise. However, I am perfectly fine with 30fps, especially for this game, as long as they can keep it pretty solid. I am actually pretty excited to try WatchDogs out.

AmyS

I don't believe it.

I would expect a locked 30fps with native 1080p on PS4 with no framerate dips, but 60fps? Really doubt it.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
30fps is unplayable according to quite a few gaffers.

I can believe 1080/60 on PS4 but do i think it will be locked? Probably not but either way it really doesn't matter because i am a-ok with 30fps.

I've been playing 30FPS and less for years (on consoles). I manage to play. Will still manage to play. 60FPS would be nice though.

some brazilian retailer lists a game

OMG CONFIRMED CONFIRMEEEED DAY ONE!

1080p/60fps on the playstation site

Nah .. don't know about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom