• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 60fps on PS4? [Update: 1080/60fps text removed from website]

Status
Not open for further replies.

leadbelly

Banned
I think this is an impossible standard, though. I think I generally understand what people mean, but that would mean that a game that drops frames at 30 fps wouldn't be 30 fps.

I think "generally 60 fps" is what most people do (or should?) mean when they say 60 fps games. No one contests Calladuty Gen 7 was 60 fps, as a point of comparison.

Granted, you do have examples of truly locked framerates-- some Nintendo games, Forza 5, Ground Zeroes-- but if a game like RAGE drops frames every once in a while, I'm still calling it 60 fps.

edit: impossible is obviously not the right word since games do it

Well, I'd call it 60fps if it has an average framerate of 60fps. Quite a simple measure.

freefornow

Gold Member
What if it turns out to be Killzone 1080p and 60fps does that still meet everyone's expectations?
Killzone was called 1080p for a long time before someone decided to have a close look and discovered some funky goings on.
If this game used similar funkiness with resolution to achieve 60fps that would be ok right?

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Regarding Tomb Raider: It's been a while, but I don't remember it dropping very often. There were some points where the PS4 struggled to keep it at a constant level, but it felt really fluent. Or are you guys talking about at constant framerate between 30 and 60, let's say ~45? I don't really know, but it clearly felt more responsive than all the other PS4 games I played so far.
I feel same as you I personally have had trouble getting the feel for GZ & TR:DE and I think it's the '60' fps lol

Proxy

What if it turns out to be Killzone 1080p and 60fps does that still meet everyone's expectations?
Killzone was called 1080p for a long time before someone decided to have a close look and discovered some funky goings on.
If this game used similar funkiness with resolution to achieve 60fps that would be ok right?

It was Killzone's MP not the entire game.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
As long as it's not as bad as GTAV framerate. Seriously I can no longer play the game. I'm freaking spoiled by the new generation.

hawk2025

Well, I'd call it 60fps if it has an average framerate of 60fps. Quite a simple measure.

There is no way to have an average of 60 if it's capped at 60, unless it's 100%, all the time at that level.

So what you are saying is that you only consider console games 60fps if they NEVER drop a single frame.

That's... an interesting standard?

thuway

I don't understand how this is possible. Didn't Giant Bomb play it at some press event and claimed PS4 had frame drops.

Hoje0308

Banned
There is no way to have an average of 60 if it's capped at 60, unless it's 100%, all the time at that level.

So what you are saying is that you only consider console games 60fps if they NEVER drop a single frame.

That's... an interesting standard?

And aren't consoles limited to 60 Hertz? That being the case, his simple measure would be all but impossible to meet.

A frame rate that fluctuates, takes me out of the game. It's not an enjoyable experience at that point.

Besides, what's the point when the frame rate is only good when being in certain areas of the map?

Also, I don't think a duplicate frame here and there is as noticeable in a 30fps game, but in a 60fps game, the micro-pauses are more pronounced when it drops frames.

When I played Second Son unlocked and panned the camera around, I got a very un-even pan. It skipped and stuttered quite a bit (at 40fps or so), but when I cap it at 30, the pan is perfectly steady with no duplicate frames.

In my opinion, a steady frame rate is more desirable than a fluctuating frame rate. I'm going to be seriously disappointed if Watch Dogs ships the same way Second Son shipped. I can't imagine every developer is going to be as nice as Sucker Punch and Guerrilla Games and include a 30fps cap option in settings.

And aren't consoles limited to 60 Hertz? That being the case, his simple measure would be all but impossible to meet.

Consoles are not limited to 60Hz. If a developer wishes, they can make the console pump out as many frames as possible with absolutely no limit.

However, a 60Hz TV is only going to display a maximum of 60fps and anything under or over that mark will result in screen tearing because the TV is trying to display more than one frame at a single time without waiting for the screen refresh to update.

Man, nearly every Watch Dogs threads now goes to 11 pages and beyond, each focus on some tiny little thing.

Expecting the Watch Dogs |OT| to go 20 pages in a day!

Tabular

Banned
A frame rate that fluctuates, takes me out of the game. It's not an enjoyable experience at that point.

Besides, what's the point when the frame rate is only good when being in certain areas of the map?

Also, I don't think a duplicate frame here and there is as noticeable in a 30fps game, but in a 60fps game, the micro-pauses are more pronounced when it drops frames.

When I played Second Son unlocked and panned the camera around, I got a very un-even pan. It skipped and stuttered quite a bit (at 40fps or so), but when I cap it at 30, the pan is perfectly steady with no duplicate frames.

In my opinion, a steady frame rate is more desirable than a fluctuating frame rate. I'm going to be seriously disappointed if Watch Dogs ships the same way Second Son shipped. I can't imagine every developer is going to be as nice as Sucker Punch and Guerrilla Games and include a 30fps cap option in settings.

I don't like Second Son in 30 fps mode. Looks less smooth to me.

Edit: could be a different experience on other tvs.

some brazilian retailer lists a game

OMG CONFIRMED CONFIRMEEEED DAY ONE!

1080p/60fps on the playstation site

Nah .. don't know about that.

Lol perfect. It's only because the game has a chance to perform better on a console than most gaming PCs, which is impossible and should never be allowed to happen! Ever!

Str1ke4

Lol perfect. It's only because the game has a chance to perform better on a console than most gaming PCs, which is impossible and should never be allowed to happen! Ever!

It's probably because the game has always been 30fps and now all of a sudden theres an advertisement not even created by Ubisoft saying it is 60. Until Ubi tells us its 60 im going by the 30fps they already told us earlier.

R_Deckard

It's probably because the game has always been 30fps and now all of a sudden theres an advertisement not even created by Ubisoft saying it is 60. Until Ubi tells us its 60 im going by the 30fps they already told us earlier.

Just Like TR:DE this is a PR process, why would Ubi cannibalise sales on the other big Next gen machine and down play a further 3 platforms. 30 is fine and will play the game perfectly, 60 is better for controls but SOME people wont like it as it feels "speeded up" I have had this said to me.

This is a Sony thing to market and fair play to them, I do not expect much from Ubisoft on this to be fair as it makes no sense for them to have a comment.

IF TRUE though fair play to Ubisoft and Sony.

But boy that comment section on the GI article....PC & Console fans aplenty...with no idea..
jiFfM.jpg

Dr Dogg

but if a game like RAGE drops frames every once in a while, I'm still calling it 60 fps.

As I'm sure you're aware Kev, but Rage did something very different. id put a 60fps update as a priority over resolution so that if the game started dropping frames it would dynamically scale back the resolution to compensate. No idea what this looked liked on PS3 or 360 but did cause a few headaches on PC (until you could force if off) but something along the lines that puts emphasis on frame rate than other components of the game isn't really that common.

So let say an open world game (like Watch_Dogs), one factor that can cause lower frame rates is the amount of NPCs or vehicles on screen, maybe even greater view distances displaying more geometry in the frame at that instance (hence the look at the sky jokes here). These aspects and more are something that gets optimised to keep a more palatable frame rate but why not make them dynamic?

Say your 60fps update is dropping due to having 100 NPCs on screen or just off to the side and their AI loaded on to the CPU, ending up constraining resources. So if that number could be altered to a lower number on the fly and give the system the leeway it needs to stay at 60fps. Got the feeling it's a really rather tricky a could cause way more headaches for what it's worth. Though saying that a few open world games on PC let to fiddle with environment details without having to reload either the level or entire games so who knows.

Still food for thought.

TheCloser

Banned
I don't know why people would be surprised. It's not a next gen looking game. The game looks like it was developed first for ps360 and ported up to the ps4.

S1kkZ

I don't understand how this is possible. Didn't Giant Bomb play it at some press event and claimed PS4 had frame drops.

i dont think its possible. so many journalists played the ps4 version a few weeks ago. some would have noticed if the game was 60 fps.

baconcow

For 60 fps, I expect horrible pop-in like with Trials Fusion. Hope there isn't much of a downgrade as I'd like to play it on PS4 and not PC.

Klendathu

I don't know what/when that was but Sony have rolled out firmware 1.60 in the past few weeks. Perhaps, along with the user-facing features, they've deployed some optimisations to improve performance for games along with whatever API improvements they routines roll out.

I'm surprised that Digital Foundry aren't checking for this stuff.

bombshell

Black Flag was 900p/30 on Xbone.

If (this is a big if) Ubisoft managed to get Watch Dogs on Xbone to run at 1080p/30, then I could easily see WD on PS4 running at 1080p/60 (variable).

Blimblim

The Inside Track
But why anybody can't believe it is possible after all?
The game has been delayed for some months and maybe this extra time allowed Ubi to get 60 fps no?

It wasn't even locked at 30 fps when I played it a month ago. Of course there is always a possibility it was a very old build, but I'd be VERY surprised if they got such a big open world game running at 60. Running a game at 60fps requires quite a bit more than twice the power than running it at 30. It's a *huge* difference.
I'd be happy to be proven wrong, of course :)

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
It probably will be 30fps (hopefully locked)! The real question is... will it be 1080p? The devs are a bit dodgy about that subject, tho that could be because of the XBO version.

Ploid 3.0

But why anybody can't believe it is possible after all?
The game has been delayed for some months and maybe this extra time allowed Ubi to get 60 fps no?

At first I couldn't, then I couldn't believe I was entertaining the thought that it could be, and right now I'm starting to believe. What a ride.

Went from PS4 will melt, to PS4 will chew gum. (I wasn't the one that said PS4 will melt btw)

kensama

It wasn't even locked at 30 fps when I played it a month ago. Of course there is always a possibility it was a very old build, but I'd be VERY surprised if they got such a big open world game running at 60. Running a game at 60fps requires quite a bit more than twice the power than running it at 30. It's a *huge* difference.
I'd be happy to be proven wrong, of course :)

And you played wich version (Xbox One or PS4?)
We will see when the game will be out ;)

At first I couldn't, then I couldn't believe I was entertaining the thought that it could be, and right now I'm starting to believe. What a ride.

Went from PS4 will melt, to PS4 will chew gum. (I wasn't the one that said PS4 will melt btw)

Sony advertise is "Make believe" no?
:D

KJRS_1993

I wonder if the people saying "the PS4 could never run this at 60fps" are the same masterminds who said "the PS4 will probably melt trying to do this".

I don't know whether Watch Dogs is 60fps or not, but I do know that none of us have any idea just what the PS4 / Xbox One's full potential is. You can't compare consoles to PC's of similar spec.

Best to just wait and see. I don't think even developers quite know what these consoles are capable of yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom