• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waypoint: Inside the Sexual Misconduct Allegations Rocking NeoGAF's Last 48 Hours

FingerBang

Like i said elsewhere, this was just pretext for many.

A lot of people were frustrated at the way neogaf was managed. A lot of people had been holding a grudge against mods, the owner, other members. Years of playing along the progressist views in fear of being banned.
Shit hits the fan, gaf goes down, people think it might be done for. Get used to the idea they'll never be part of this community again. Start looking for alternatives. Start creating alternatives. Some with good intentions, some because the chance presented itself to steal a piece of that 10M cake.
Not afraid anymore to lose their GAF membership they start showing their true colours and voice their hatred.

I'd say a small percentage immediately left because they found the episode disgusting. A larger number of members already kind of hated GAF but had nowhere else to go before all of this.
An even bigger part are now considering leaving because their favourite posters left and went somewhere else and a lot of those who stayed are currently flipping shit at each other.
And this, i believe, is how it ends.

The fact they had a consensual sexual relationship afterwards sure seems to indicate the incident was forgotten or forgiven.

Ok, there is something I don't get then. I am neutral in this situation, I think that two different places can coexist as long as they offer something different (will they?). I am happy people are finally talking openly about the issues that brought to the "migration", because it's the reason why I started posting less and less and why most people generally only lurk.

A lot of people online hate gaf because of it being too progressive. I obviously don't, since being inclusive of minorities, LGBT and so on is great, but I get why a lot of non alt right can't really stand this community. Sometimes the place got really violent, to the point that saying something like "hey, okay, but what if" would get you a bunch of angry answers, with people accusing you of being a gamergate, a sexist, a white supremacist, a nazi and so on. It's like people were waiting to point the finger to the one who said something "wrong" and there you go, angry mob. Maybe those people were the minority, but they made/make a lot of noise.

Then the evilore thing happened and OBVIOUSLY backfired.
You would think at this point that these people are the same who had to fake being progressive to avoid the banhammer, just pointing the finger at the hypocritical owner. It would make sense, since you could get banned by just saying that what he did wasn't a big deal.

And yet they are not, since apparently gaf is now the house of gamergaters, alt right, neonazis that couldn't prosper before.

So what has happened, exactly? Who are the people asking to be banned? Who are the people staying and why do they refuse to follow the others? What do the others expect to find there?

I understand the "hey, I disagree with the owner and don't want to give him any money, so bye" point, but that's not the full picture, is it?

A lot of men don't seem to understand why or how scary men can be to a woman.

99.9% of able bodied men could hold me down and no matter how much I struggled I would never be able to get away.

Even trained women MMA fighters would struggle to take down a man that out-weighed her.

Our bodies suck at being weapons. You all are scary as fuck to us.

You haven't seen my girlfriend hungry lol

I can see what you mean when you think of it in a us vs them mentality.

Shit, I'm a big enough dude but I'd say a good 80% of men out there could whip my ass too. A lot of men ARE scary as fuck.

Ferrio

Banned
Shit, I'm a big enough dude but I'd say a good 80% of men out there could whip my ass too. A lot of men ARE scary as fuck.

You should try and listen to what you're actually saying. As a small guy I understand the feeling, but it's still a fraction of what women face. If you actually do realize how scary those situations can be, you should probably be more empathetic instead of trying to make it about yourself.

Xtyle

A lot of men don't seem to understand why or how scary men can be to a woman.

99.9% of able bodied men could hold me down and no matter how much I struggled I would never be able to get away.

Even trained women MMA fighters would struggle to take down a man that out-weighed her.

Our bodies suck at being weapons. You all are scary as fuck to us.

This makes no sense. I am sorry to say it. I am a small guy, and I am also weaker compared to other men due to certain inherited blood condition. Most men in the U.S are bigger and taller than me. But I am almost never scared of other bigger man, or women, unless in very specific scenario with specific individuals. I could be overpowered by most other men, again, as I state due to my body condition.

I understand there is probably more danger that a woman has to protect against (like sexual assault).

oliverandm

There you go. One of the few women left on this forum explains why women are generally intimidated by men in a perfectly reasonable way and you calll her dysfunctional and unhealthy. Such a mystery why so few women are interested in interacting with gamer dorks.

Ah quit it. You're already trying to close a reasonable discussion by rooting that answer in mysoginy. That's not fair at all.

By her logic plenty of men should be afraid of men too, but they aren't.

Go ask elder generations of women, far less priveleged than women today, if they fear men because of they're gender, and most will tell you 'no'; the vast majority of people don't hold fear towards men because of the potential they have to do harm. That wouldn't be limited to men either; Women are equally capable of doing harm to men, though perhaps not physically in the same way. You can argue I am wrong in that, but then you're one step closer to making women seem less than men, which I don't think any of us is interested in.

Fact of the matter is, that she seems to have a phobia (I don't know, because we don't know each other and people say all kinds of shit on the internet), but that's the same as irrational fear, which is in fact dysfunctional and can be unhealthy.

He isn't calling her dysfunctional or unhealthy as a whole, but rather her outlook on men, and unless it defines her as a person in its entirety, there's still people out there who can distinquish between thought, action and character, even if it derrives from the same person.

My fear is that more and more women (and men for that matter) have some skewed idea that gender studies can give them a concluding answer to that of their opposing gender's behaviour. It's not going to happen. It's not a science for nothing, and you're better off going out in the world and getting to know the people in your area and environment, instead of reading about clowns who harass women and consider that the end of it.

Just please... Stop validating fear towards men. It does no one good in the end, and it serves as nothing but further separation between us.

Simbabbad

WHY IS IT ALWAYS THE JUNIORS
Because now that a good chunk of the toxic people left, some people are giving NeoGAF a second chance?

That girl must be really proud of herself, that she destroyed this community and probably his life.
Actually, she's apparently yet another SJW victim since she didn't want any of this to be made public. All the people who pretend defending her by making a big scandal about what happens into her private life are in fact actively ruining her life (and EvilLore's). As they usually do.

numble

Because now that a good chunk of the toxic people left, some people are giving NeoGAF a second chance?

Actually, she's apparently yet another SJW victim since she didn't want any of this to be made public. All the people who pretend defending her by making a big scandal about what happens into her private life are in fact actively ruining her life (and EvilLore's). As they usually do.

Didn't EviLore say that the post was being spread by VOAT? Are you sure that VOAT is full of these "SJWs"?

chaos789

Banned
Ah quit it. You're already trying to close a reasonable discussion by rooting that answer in mysoginy. That's not fair at all.

By her logic plenty of men should be afraid of men too, but they aren't.

Go ask elder generations of women, far less priveleged than women today, if they fear men because of they're gender, and most will tell you 'no'; the vast majority of people don't hold fear towards men because of the potential they have to do harm. That wouldn't be limited to men either; Women are equally capable of doing harm to men, though perhaps not physically in the same way. You can argue I am wrong in that, but then you're one step closer to making women seem less than men, which I don't think any of us is interested in.

Fact of the matter is, that she seems to have a phobia (I don't know, because we don't know each other and people say all kinds of shit on the internet), but that's the same as irrational fear, which is in fact dysfunctional and can be unhealthy.

He isn't calling her dysfunctional or unhealthy as a whole, but rather her outlook on men, and unless it defines her as a person in its entirety, there's still people out there who can distinquish between thought, action and character, even if it derrives from the same person.

My fear is that more and more women (and men for that matter) have some skewed idea that gender studies can give them a concluding answer to that of their opposing gender's behaviour. It's not going to happen. It's not a science for nothing, and you're better off going out in the world and getting to know the people in your area and environment, instead of reading about clowns who harass women and consider that the end of it.

Just please... Stop validating fear towards men. It does no one good in the end, and it serves as nothing but further separation between us.

It depends on ones own individual history of interaction with the opposite sex. If a woman is a victim of rape or sexual assault for instance she will develop a fear of all men and for good reason. PTSD does develop for these woman due to the trauma they incurred because of the criminal action of some asshole/assholes. And that fear is completely valid for them due to the previous trauma. Woman are sized up and judged daily on a sexual basis by many men and it can be scary for them at times. Thats not to say all men are bad or operate on the lowest common denominator , but for women it can be really intimidating and scary.

I have been on dates or social interactions with a woman or a group of women and have many times had some asshole/assholes drive by and yell some obscene disrespectful shit at the woman I am with. Never once have I seen or heard of an instance where a group of woman did that to a man.

Simbabbad

Didn't EviLore say that the post was being spread by VOAT? Are you sure that VOAT is full of these "SJWs"?
I have no clue what VOAT is and I don't care. The people I do see making a scandal about this here are textbook SJW who don't care about this girl, using her as an excuse to destroy somebody's life, be drama queens, and appear holier than thou on the Internet. Again, the textbook definition of SJW, the slang originally designating that typical kind of behaviour and not the left in general.

numble

I have no clue what VOAT is and I don't care. The people I do see making a scandal about this here are textbook SJW who don't care about this girl, using her as an excuse to destroy somebody's life, be drama queens, and appear holier than thou on the Internet. Again, the textbook definition of SJW, the slang originally designating that typical kind of behaviour and not the left in general.
Listen to the Waypoint podcast on their article. You claim people are ruining her life, but it was her that came forward to give her name and further details to the press, including very honest and personal details. The article and podcast do indicate that people are trying to destroy her life by attacking her credibility and mental state and appearing holier than thou on the Internet.

Ok, there is something I don't get then. I am neutral in this situation, I think that two different places can coexist as long as they offer something different (will they?). I am happy people are finally talking openly about the issues that brought to the "migration", because it's the reason why I started posting less and less and why most people generally only lurk.

A lot of people online hate gaf because of it being too progressive. I obviously don't, since being inclusive of minorities, LGBT and so on is great, but I get why a lot of non alt right can't really stand this community. Sometimes the place got really violent, to the point that saying something like "hey, okay, but what if" would get you a bunch of angry answers, with people accusing you of being a gamergate, a sexist, a white supremacist, a nazi and so on. It's like people were waiting to point the finger to the one who said something "wrong" and there you go, angry mob. Maybe those people were the minority, but they made/make a lot of noise.

Then the evilore thing happened and OBVIOUSLY backfired.
You would think at this point that these people are the same who had to fake being progressive to avoid the banhammer, just pointing the finger at the hypocritical owner. It would make sense, since you could get banned by just saying that what he did wasn't a big deal.

And yet they are not, since apparently gaf is now the house of gamergaters, alt right, neonazis that couldn't prosper before.

So what has happened, exactly? Who are the people asking to be banned? Who are the people staying and why do they refuse to follow the others? What do the others expect to find there?

I understand the "hey, I disagree with the owner and don't want to give him any money, so bye" point, but that's not the full picture, is it?

It's a combination of a lot of things and they were all leadership-related. The leadership here started this culture where SJWs were treated like heroes and had all of their views legitimized, no matter how extreme they might have been. This made people who weren't extreme left very upset because even moderate gaffers were vilified as nazis or GGers. Even if they didn't get banned, they still got ganged up on and bullied by those who claim to hate bullying. So those two groups got mad for different reasons after these allegations came out.

It's not the GGers who are staying. It just seems that way because people are getting pissed off. The ones staying are the loyalists who just love being gaffers, the kids who feel like they can finally speak up with all the grown ups gone, the weird people who feel like they've invested time here and won't give it up. It stopped being about Tyler's actions and now it's more about a lot of repressed feelings, that had to be repressed because there was no way to talk about them here without getting banned. It's just a huge clusterfuck that's been building. if it hadn't been the sexual harassment claims that set it off, it would have been something else, eventually.

The people going to RE forum are trying to find what Neogaf was 10 years ago. A cool place where people had civilized conversations despite disagreeing with each other. A place where mods were tough but fair. A place where the focus is on fun, not virtue signaling. Who knows if that will happen, but at least we can dream.

Widge

I've seen enough "social outrage" threads get effectively shut down by the community because the entire premise is a real quality piece of reaching and mental gymnastics. The community was, surprisingly, quite decent are digging into the context and greater meaning and finding the value of the discourse.

So I think this entire "NeoGAF SJW pedestal" line that is being pedalled being a little, well, bollocks.

If disagreement effectively boils down to "stop talking about this thing in games that I don't want to talk about" or "I don't believe thing that exists actually exists, and here is my red string theory as to why", then I'm all for shutting it down. I don't have time for that. It is a complete waste of mental energy to indulge and it is incredibly fatiguing when it reoccurs again and again and again, like you're conversing with a bunch of fish with keyboards. I'm not surprised the moderation got hardline, aggressively so, on that front because it's just fucking annoying having to go through the same thing over and over and over again with a bunch of "but actually".

You should try and listen to what you're actually saying. As a small guy I understand the feeling, but it's still a fraction of what women face. If you actually do realize how scary those situations can be, you should probably be more empathetic instead of trying to make it about yourself.

I realise you are banned, but just in case you are still lurking. I was agreeing with her, I don't know how you came to the conclusion i was trying to make it about myself. that's like me saying stop trying to make it all about you for talking about being short.

Tapioca

Banned
That men are "scary as fuck" to you is not a healthy outlook. Individuals can be scary, seeing a whole gender that way is completely dysfunctional.

Its just that men are physiologically stronger than woman. But you shouldnt be scared of any men whatsover because of that.

Nah, I don't walk around and get panicked every time I see a man. That is ridiculous. Men have the potential to be scary as fuck because they have the ability to do great bodily harm with no weapons.

A naked man in a shower is a real potential threat to a woman. A naked woman in a shower is barely a threat to a man.

While it is easy for a lot of men to go he must of thought she was flirting, no big deal, they were drunk,but they banged afterwards blalalala... I was trying to make the point that this incident was probably scary and panic inducing for her.

This makes no sense. I am sorry to say it. I am a small guy, and I am also weaker compared to other men due to certain inherited blood condition. Most men in the U.S are bigger and taller than me. But I am almost never scared of other bigger man, or women, unless in very specific scenario with specific individuals. I could be overpowered by most other men, again, as I state due to my body condition.

I understand there is probably more danger that a woman has to protect against (like sexual assault).

I read the first couple pages and was reacting to that. I was talking about the shower situation. Of course I do not panic at the sight of a man in broad daylight at a public mall.

wazoo

If this is what happened, I can imagine the discussion

Her: "Why did you disclose the private information I gave you ?"

SJW friend : "I did it for your own good. I know better than you what is good for you".

LordRaptor

Guys, look.... its not unreasonable that women have different fears to men.
As a man, your worst case scenario for a blind date is you leave it feeling foolish and humiliated.
As a woman, it's that nobody ever finds the body, you know?

e:
Not to say its impossible for Very Bad Things to happen to anyone, but statistically, I'd say most men don't even consider just how dark meeting a stranger can go

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm actually really curious, how you would personally handle being in a similar situation?

As in, one of your Ex's (assuming, you have ex's) tells "privately" one awfully , awkward and cringy story about one stupid thing you did in the past, before your relationship with her started and where you stupidly misread all the signs in that stage of your relationship and you "went for it"?

Keep in mind that it can be any type of allegation. From insinuations to a failed attempt of a kiss to stupidly and drunkenly thinking you were invited to a shower when you were not and left. then she includes your name under the #metoo tag provoking a huge shitstorm for you, loosing your job, loosing your friends, income, and then you become the devil publicly.

What would you do, how you will handle it? (better than EL i'm sure) but you will be surprised? hurt? angry? Confused? what steps you will take?

And this question is open to anyone who wants to answer it too. Just keep in mind the scenario in giving.

I wouldn't handle it well. I've made a damn fool of myself by getting drunk and thinking 'this'll work!' and having it plainly not work and having to go home and lick my wounds in shame before. If that was told out of context and people started posting 'hey it's that sexual deviant guy!' all over the world and I lost my job I would take it poorly.

Young people these days are extremely conservative and it seems like fucking everything has to be framed into some kind of assault. on the face of it, it does not sound like this was a case of sexual assault OR harassment based on the foggy details I've heard so far.
Honestly it sounds like a lot of people saw this as a chance to win the userbase of GAF and it sounds like there was other issues at play with the moderators and the site owner. The last straw that broke the camels back as it were.
Guys, look.... its not unreasonable that women have different fears to men.
As a man, your worst case scenario for a blind date is you leave it feeling foolish and humiliated.
As a woman, it's that nobody ever finds the body, you know?

what does this even mean in the context of this story?

Top Bottom