• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB: Joss Whedon's Justice League is Canon, Snyder's is 'a storytelling cul-de-sac — a street that leads nowhere'

ManaByte

At least for now, Mr. Snyder is not part of the new DC Films blueprint, with studio executives describing his HBO Max project as a storytelling cul-de-sac — a street that leads nowhere.

Of course the Snyder crowd isn't happy with this. They're now spamming WB's socials with #RestoreTheSnyderverse

ManaByte

Synder’s General Zod was amazing
superman-ii-non-general-zod-and-ursa.jpg

Fbh

Understandable.
Can't mess with the amazing canon of movies like BVS, the original justice League and WW84.

Audiences are at the edge of their seats waiting for the next chapter. Will Darkseid destroy the justice League or will Batman reach an agreement with him when they realize they both have an aunt named Betty or something.

Last edited:

OneBigPuss

Of course its "a street that leads nowhere" at least for now because we don't know the reception of Zack's JL. We will see in march.

SJRB

Gold Member
Whedon's cut was dogshit and made me hate Batman, something I thought impossible until I watched Justice League.

That said, I don't think WB cares much about canon, considering the insane stuff that happens in WW84. If the Snyder cut ends up being superior they'll definately pivot.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

ManaByte

Whedon's cut was dogshit and made me hate Batman, something I thought impossible until I watched Justice League.

That said, I don't think WB cares much about canon, considering the insane stuff that happens in WW84. If the Snyder cut ends up being superior they'll definately pivot.

tenor.gif

That would be very hard to do with what they're doing with The Flash.

ManaByte

That's from almost a year ago. And it's quoting someone who isn't CEO of Warner anymore. The article in the OP is this week.

The Flash (filming 2021, out June 2022) is going to have Affleck at the beginning before Barry starts fucking with time, but at the end Affleck is out and Keaton is the DCEU's Batman. Basically the Kingdom Come version who will assemble a new Justice League and become like DC's Nick Fury popping up in a bunch of movies like Batgirl.

Last edited:
That's from almost a year ago. And it's quoting someone who isn't CEO of Warner anymore. The article in the OP is this week.

The Flash (filming 2021, out June 2022) is going to have Affleck at the beginning before Barry starts fucking with time, but at the end Affleck is out and Keaton is the DCEU's Batman. Basically the Kingdom Come version who will assemble a new Justice League and become like DC's Nick Fury popping up in a bunch of movies like Batgirl.
Yeah... well... there's some more recent stuff, too...

ManaByte

Yeah... well... there's some more recent stuff, too...

Yea that's just re-writing the NY Times article in the OP.

Hamada explains it. The DCEU is Earth 1. The Batman is Earth 2, and The Flash is meant to link them. I don't know why it's hard for people to read the original article instead of clickbaiting sites just re-writing it.
The answer is the multiverse. Boiled down, it means that some characters (Wonder Woman as portrayed by Ms. Gadot, for instance) will continue their adventures on Earth 1, while new incarnations (Mr. Pattinson as “The Batman”) will populate Earth 2.

“The Flash,” a film set for release in theaters in 2022, will link the two universes and feature two Batmans, with Mr. Affleck returning as one and Michael Keaton returning as the other. Mr. Keaton played Batman in 1989 and 1992.

Yea that's just re-writing the NY Times article in the OP.

Hamada explains it. The DCEU is Earth 1. The Batman is Earth 2, and The Flash is meant to link them. I don't know why it's hard for people to read the original article instead of clickbaiting sites just re-writing it.

A multiverse is just a way to have a canonical reason to ignore canon.

Or a way to reboot things.

But is it rebooted if there's a universe where the other continuity still exists? Can something be both rebooted and ongoing at the same time? Either way never say never, Snyder wants to do a Batfleck film with him vs Deathstroke and the MCU is currently making a Spider-Man film with the 3 other live action Spider-Men in it, and they're way more obsessed with "canon" in the MCU.

ManaByte

But is it rebooted if there's a universe where the other continuity still exists? Can something be both rebooted and ongoing at the same time? Either way never say never, Snyder wants to do a Batfleck film with him vs Deathstroke and the MCU is currently making a Spider-Man film with the 3 other live action Spider-Men in it, and they're way more obsessed with "canon" in the MCU.

But if the Snyerverse is erased when Keaton becomes the new Batman, there is no universe for him to do a Batlfeck movie and no studio if WB doesn't want him part of stuff like the NY Times article says.

oagboghi2

By the time the Snyder cut airs on HBO Max they'll be filming The Flash (which is a semi-reboot).
WB is stupid to have this attitude, and putting all your faith on Ezra's flash? Good luck

Of course Warner Bros would take a win and manage to find a way to fumble it.

ManaByte

WB is stupid to have this attitude, and putting all your faith on Ezra's flash? Good luck

Of course Warner Bros would take a win and manage to find a way to fumble it.

They're not putting it in Ezra. They love Christina Hodson (who wrote Bumblebee and Birds of Prey). She + JJ Abrams is who they're putting their faith in for the future of the theatrical movies. They want her to write the next JL movie too.

oagboghi2

They're not putting it in Ezra. They love Christina Hodson (who wrote Bumblebee and Birds of Prey). She + JJ Abrams is who they're putting their faith in for the future of the theatrical movies. They want her to write the next JL movie too.
Birds of Prey? Bumblebee? Rise of skywalker Are you serious right now?

Like I said, they took a win and fumbled it. The same company who is planning reboots and multiverse can't figure out a way to make this work, and somehow pissed off the people who were praising them just earlier this year

Last edited:

ManaByte

Birds of Prey? Bumblebee? Rise of skywalker Are you serious right now?

WB just gave JJ Abrams $500M.

You'll see a JJ Abrams Superman or Justice League movie before WB does anything with the Snyderverse.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

WB just gave JJ Abrams $500M.

You'll see a JJ Abrams Superman or Justice League movie before WB does anything with the Snyderverse.
God help them. They saw star wars and star trek and learned nothing.

But that's beside the point. To say the "snyderverse" can't work while actively working on priming your audience for multiverses is dumb. To put that in the New York Times, months before the project has released it's first entry exclusively on your struggling platform that you are trying to boost membership of, is laughably stupid. They hadn't pissed off enough Directors this month I guess

Like I said, fumbling an easy win.

ManaByte

God help them. They saw star wars and star trek and learned nothing.

But that's beside the point. To say the "snyderverse" can't work while actively working on priming your audience for multiverses is dumb. To put that in the New York Times, months before the project has released it's first entry exclusively on your struggling platform that you are trying to boost membership of, is laughably stupid. They hadn't pissed off enough Directors this month I guess

Like I said, fumbling an easy win.

The Snydercut on HBO Max is a HBO thing. Of course WB isn't going to latch onto it because it was just something HBO did to boost subs, it has nothing to do with the 6 or so movies they're in various stages of production on right now. It has nothing to do with The Suicide Squad (done), the Peacemaker TV series spin-off of that, The Flash, Aquaman 2, Black Adam, Shazam 2, and definitely not The Batman and its TV series.

e&e

Banned
Tbh, I ignored the original Justice Leaugue and just waiting to see the original directors cut. Should I watch the version already released since it’s right there looking at me on HBOMax then watch the new cut?

OneBigPuss

Tbh, I ignored the original Justice Leaugue and just waiting to see the original directors cut. Should I watch the version already released since it’s right there looking at me on HBOMax then watch the new cut?
I would wait for Zack Snyder's Justice League because its only 3 months now and after that watch theatrical for comparison.

Last edited:
No one's blaming JJ for Rise of Skywalker, if you're an exec making decisions you're looking at JJ reviving a dead franchise to the tune of close to 1 billion dollars in the US alone, to this day the best-grossing film domestically. He also revived the dead franchise Star Trek and made it bigger than it ever was. He also revived the dead franchise Mission Impossible and it became bigger than it ever was. JJ is definitely a good guy to get a ball rolling... just don't ask him to be the one who ends it.

Chiggs

No one's blaming JJ for Rise of Skywalker, if you're an exec making decisions you're looking at JJ reviving a dead franchise to the tune of close to 1 billion dollars in the US alone, to this day the best-grossing film domestically. He also revived the dead franchise Star Trek and made it bigger than it ever was. He also revived the dead franchise Mission Impossible and it became bigger than it ever was. JJ is definitely a good guy to get a ball rolling... just don't ask him to be the one who ends it.

Mission Impossible 3 is the lowest grossing in the series. It didn’t kickstart anything.

Bolivar687

Banned
I mean, the article says right there that they are linking universes. Zack and Debbie casted most of the DCEU and the existing films were all tied in different ways to his entries.

Zack has a deep history with DC films, beyond his timeline, his JL cut is in all likelihood won't be the last DC film he does for WB. I'm not holding my breath for them to re-certify his original 5-part story arc but I also don't think you should read into the cul-de-sac terminology too much at the present time.

oagboghi2

It's Star Wars. It's Star trek. These franchise redebuts would have been massive no matter who worked on them first

It's Star Wars. It's Star trek. These franchise redebuts would have been massive no matter who worked on them first

The last Star Trek film before Abrams took over had an 18 million dollar opening, his had 75 million, more than the prior film had made in the entire world during it's entire run. Even adjusted for inflation the Force Awakens outdoes The Phantom Menace. Unadjusted it made 300 million more in the US than the next biggest Star Wars film... the follow up to his film... then comes two more films in the saga released after his film followed finally by Phantom Menace with nearly 500 million less in revenue.

oagboghi2

The last Star Trek film before Abrams took over had an 18 million dollar opening, his had 75 million, more than the prior film had made in the entire world during it's entire run. Even adjusted for inflation the Force Awakens outdoes The Phantom Menace. Unadjusted it made 300 million more in the US than the next biggest Star Wars film... the follow up to his film... then comes two more films in the saga released after his film followed finally by Phantom Menace with nearly 500 million less in revenue.
There was a decade gap between the last star wars film and force awakens and the star trek franchise was on deaths door before they waited 7 years to reboot it. Audiences were primed to get excited for any new entries in these franchises, especially when both were considered complete at the time. I won't deny he has good timing

Abrams was essentially given 2 lay ups that no one could fail with. What's more telling is how quickly he lost the public interest in Star trek, and didn't even bother thinking of a sequel for Awakens

There was a decade gap between the last star wars film and force awakens and the star trek franchise was on deaths door before they waited 7 years to reboot it. Audiences were primed to get excited for any new entries in these franchises, especially when both were considered complete at the time. I won't deny he has good timing

Abrams was essentially given 2 lay ups that no one could fail with. What's more telling is how quickly he lost the public interest in Star trek, and didn't even bother thinking of a sequel for Awakens

Into Darkness did quite well, too, those two Star Trek films are the best grossing of the franchise. The franchise simply never had the appeal he gave them prior. I also wouldn't cede MI III to you, it arguably wouldn't be what it is today without Abrams rebooting it, you can cite the box office but that'd be as disingenuous as pointing to Batman Begins' box office which was more humble than you'd probably realize, the box office doesn't tell the whole story, if it did MI III would probably be more like II which was a huge blockbuster, we'd have more slow motion doves flying by the heroes as they dive and shoot and shit. A lot of times you can look at how a film opens as a mix of how people felt about the prior entry and how well marketed it was, people like the first Mission Impossible, so 2 opens huge, they hated 2 so 3 opens soft, they loved 3 so Ghost Protocol absolutely kills it (III did better on home video than GP, in fact it may have the strongest home video performance of the franchise, no data for 1 and 2 they were prior to such things being tabulated at least on the sites I use). Speaking of Star Trek was an ABSOLUTE MONSTER on video adding nearly 200 million more to its grosses (about the same amount The Force Awakens has sold on video, no joke). You can call it primed but the performances are out of the ordinary, keep in mind it had been two decades since A New Hope when Phantom Menace came out and its huge box office take was only slightly more than A New Hope and that's WITHOUT ADJUSTING FOR INFLATION. Being big might be expected but JJ Abrams absolutely blew the roof off expectations.

Top Bottom