• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB: Joss Whedon's Justice League is Canon, Snyder's is 'a storytelling cul-de-sac — a street that leads nowhere'

oagboghi2

Into Darkness did quite well, too, those two Star Trek films are the best grossing of the franchise. The franchise simply never had the appeal he gave them prior. I also wouldn't cede MI III to you, it arguably wouldn't be what it is today without Abrams rebooting it, you can cite the box office but that'd be as disingenuous as pointing to Batman Begins' box office which was more humble than you'd probably realize, the box office doesn't tell the whole story, if it did MI III would probably be more like II which was a huge blockbuster, we'd have more slow motion doves flying by the heroes as they dive and shoot and shit. A lot of times you can look at how a film opens as a mix of how people felt about the prior entry and how well marketed it was, people like the first Mission Impossible, so 2 opens huge, they hated 2 so 3 opens soft, they loved 3 so Ghost Protocol absolutely kills it (III did better on home video than GP, in fact it may have the strongest home video performance of the franchise, no data for 1 and 2 they were prior to such things being tabulated at least on the sites I use). Speaking of Star Trek was an ABSOLUTE MONSTER on video adding nearly 200 million more to its grosses (about the same amount The Force Awakens has sold on video, no joke). You can call it primed but the performances are out of the ordinary, keep in mind it had been two decades since A New Hope when Phantom Menace came out and its huge box office take was only slightly more than A New Hope and that's WITHOUT ADJUSTING FOR INFLATION. Being big might be expected but JJ Abrams absolutely blew the roof off expectations.
I didn't bring up MI because I don't find it relevant. The film he worked on didn't do particularly well, and while it established the tone and a lot of the ideas for the future entries, it's not like other films in the franchise didn't do likewise. We see elements of Brad Bird's MI entry as well, and that film has the benefit of also being more successful at the box offfice.

I would also argue that again, the box office was primed for a major debut for star wars, as Abrams was continuing the franchise, not regressing into a prequel. Add a long more advanced and sophiscated distribution chains, and I'm not suprised it did better. Like I said, he has great timing, but his record speaks for itself. Great debuts

rorepmE

Sorry but Shannon's Zod was far better.

He was retard.

The REAL General Zod figured it out.

Lets see this planet gives us unlimited power.

Where as Snyderzod couldn't think far enough ahead because he got an owwie in his ears and decided that's not worth it to have a race of super powered beings.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Of course the Snyder crowd isn't happy with this. They're now spamming WB's socials with #RestoreTheSnyderverse

What did the fucking idiots actually expect?

Snyder's horrible DCEU plans screwed DC on film for years. They're only now starting to get back on track a bit, after succumbing to his moronic edgelord bullshit. Giving him the keys to a cinematic universe was the stupidest decision in film history.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Yes, oh yes..
Loved Man of Steel. Except that tornado scene. That was dumb as fuck.
EOEjQjg.png

What did the fucking idiots actually expect?

Snyder's horrible DCEU plans screwed DC on film for years. They're only now starting to get back on track a bit, after succumbing to his moronic edgelord bullshit. Giving him the keys to a cinematic universe was the stupidest decision in film history.

Man, I disagree with no one more than you on this forum, every single section you're in you're catastrophically wrong. The only reason the DCEU under Snyder failed is because they took the keys to it away from him MID-SHOOT of a film and had Joss Whedon try and re-assemble it into something more MCU-friendly, a Frankenstien monster of a film satisfying neither Snyder fans or Whedon fans and whose failure has resulted in such major shakeups in WB that now we're actually going to get Snyder's vision more fully than we would have in the first place.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Man, I disagree with no one more than you on this forum, every single section you're in you're catastrophically wrong. The only reason the DCEU under Snyder failed is because they took the keys to it away from him MID-SHOOT of a film and had Joss Whedon try and re-assemble it into something more MCU-friendly, a Frankenstien monster of a film satisfying neither Snyder fans or Whedon fans and whose failure has resulted in such major shakeups in WB that now we're actually going to get Snyder's vision more fully than we would have in the first place.
The only reason you’re seeing Snyder’s vision is because HBO Max launched without their own Mandalorian sized must-see series and they were desperate for something. WB doesn’t have much to do with it other than allowing them access to the footage. WB is too busy working on new stuff.

The only reason you’re seeing Snyder’s vision is because HBO Max launched without their own Mandalorian sized must-see series and they were desperate for something. WB doesn’t have much to do with it other than allowing them access to the footage. WB is too busy working on new stuff.

If your purpose is to just try and gaslight us into believing your pessimistic reality that fits your biases and opinions I'm not interested without receipts.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Yeah... well... there's some more recent stuff, too...

Thanks for link. This article makes little sense. They reference the Times story by saying Pattinson-Batman is on "Earth 2", before going on to explain that the Flash movie will link Ben Affleck's "Earth 1" to "Earth 2" by bringing together Ben and Michael Keaton.

So who does Earth 2 belong to? Pattinson or Keaton? Good lord, it's a mess before they've even begun....and I'm someone looking forward to it.

Thanks for link. This article makes little sense. They reference the Times story by saying Pattinson-Batman is on "Earth 2", before going on to explain that the Flash movie will link Ben Affleck's "Earth 1" to "Earth 2" by bringing together Ben and Michael Keaton.

So who does Earth 2 belong to? Pattinson or Keaton? Good lord, it's a mess before they've even begun....and I'm someone looking forward to it.

I think trying to make too much sense of it is a mistake. I'm reminded of the time Marvel attempted explaining away all their comics various continuity errors as being some big evil space villain in a space prison banging on the walls causing reverberations through the universe that created holes in logic

ManaByte

Gold Member

Earth 2 is Battison and anything that might spin off out of that like the TV series. The Battison movie is set in present day.

Earth 1 is the DCEU. 1989 Batman was a different Earth, and at the end of The Flash Batfleck won’t exist in the DCEU anymore and instead Keaton will be that universes Batman and basically be the Kingdom Come version and show up in multiple movies like Batgirl and possibly a Batman Beyond while building and bank rolling a new Justice League.

The-Flash-movie-concept-art-Michael-Keaton-Batman.jpg

Meanwhile you’ll get a young Batman trilogy on Earth 2 with Battison.

Last edited:
At the time MI 2 was the highest grossing but also nearly killed the franchise because of how hated it was. MI III pretty much set up the template the series has followed since and it's now one of the biggest action franchises going.
That's all thanks to the Cruise-missile, baby.

Once he took a roll more than just acting in it, the movies became legendary. The last 3 are action perfection. Cruise is bat-shit crazy, but goddamn he knows pacing.

That's all thanks to the Cruise-missile, baby.

Once he took a roll more than just acting in it, the movies became legendary. The last 3 are action perfection. Cruise is bat-shit crazy, but goddamn he knows pacing.

Must be why Jack Reacher is a huge movie franchise. I think McQuarrie has nailed it, honestly and he's great working with Cruise. They also did the first Jack Reacher together, which was actually great and people should give a chance but the sequel... omg...

Must be why Jack Reacher is a huge movie franchise. I think McQuarrie has nailed it, honestly and he's great working with Cruise. They also did the first Jack Reacher together, which was actually great and people should give a chance but the sequel... omg...
Add Oblivion and Edge of Tomorrow to those Cruise-missile direct hits.

Technically Edge of Tomorrow needed video sales to seal the deal (thank God we're getting a sequel now), btw McQuarrie wrote Edge of Tomorrow. Oblivion cost 120 million and made 89 million domestic... not great.
McQuarrie is my kind of guy.

Not arsed about the sales, they mean less and less everyday. The movie is great and orders of magnitude better than any capeshit film released.

RCU005

WB doesn’t know shit what they want to do with DC. They still want to rush to get to Marvel-like popularity (and money), but this is exactly the opposite way.

It feels exactly like how the president of Lucasfilm has no idea what to do with the franchise. Right now everything seems (apparently) fine because Jon Favreau is kind of taking over.

The first step WB has to do is chill. Secondly, they need to get rid of Geoff Johns. This guy is shit when it comes to the movies. Third, they need to start making a plan and stick with it. This is exactly what Star Wars didn’t do, and also what Marvel did do (Hulk disappointed, but they didn’t start to make so many changes, they stuck with it and continued on).

teezzy

Banned
WB doesn’t know shit what they want to do with DC. They still want to rush to get to Marvel-like popularity (and money), but this is exactly the opposite way.

It feels exactly like how the president of Lucasfilm has no idea what to do with the franchise. Right now everything seems (apparently) fine because Jon Favreau is kind of taking over.

The first step WB has to do is chill. Secondly, they need to get rid of Geoff Johns. This guy is shit when it comes to the movies. Third, they need to start making a plan and stick with it. This is exactly what Star Wars didn’t do, and also what Marvel did do (Hulk disappointed, but they didn’t start to make so many changes, they stuck with it and continued on).

People wil tire of the superhero movie fad before they figure it all out lol

Airbus Jr

Banned
Wannabe who ended shuttled in a penis shaped coffin to the PZ vs the real General Zod.

Not even God could save your misguided soul, brother.
The new Zod are amazing and much more imposing/ intimidating the hell are you talking about

Last edited:

oagboghi2

“They tweeted a lot and we didn’t like what they tweeted.”

This article is so ridiculously over the top I almost thought the writer would reveal it to be a troll at the end. So much anger over people whose only crime apparently is being excited for a Directors movie. Oh they made a website, they made a petition, clearly they are terrorists. We can’t reward these customers by giving them what they want.

It’s the same arrogance and closed mindedness I saw with critics when it concerns Star Wars. Just a general sense of entitlement that their opinion be respected, and a frustration that a lot of people disagree. A better question, is why do people who apparently hate the fans of these franchises always find themselves writing about them.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
So much anger over people whose only crime apparently is being excited for a Directors movie.

Over the weekend, I received a DM from a stranger who wanted to let me know I was a nasty bully waste of space because I disliked the DCEU and the works of Zack Snyder. The troll in question was otherwise oddly polite, introducing himself by name and insisting his words were not offensive before he launched into his screed. This is nothing new for me, sadly, and certainly not from ardent fans of Snyder and the DCEU. Indeed, for a decent period of time, if you googled my name, one of the first image results was a screenshot of a sarcastic tweet I’d made about Snyder. It was being used as proof of my nefarious scheming against DC and further evidence of an industry-wide agenda to critically maul DC films and keep Marvel at the top. In a business where conspiracies breed with unnerving speed, this particular one may be the most baffling on a personal level.

Yet it’s indicative of a mindset many of us have faced from large corners of the DC fandom, especially those who are avid fans of director Zack Snyder. Almost every critic or pop culture writer I know has had at least one bad incident from certain DCEU fans, usually on social media although many have received nasty e-mails, website comments and DMs. They’re hardly the only fandom on the internet right now with issues of toxicity - we could be here all day tallying up the numbers and barely scratch the surface of fandom history - but nowadays there is something about the DCEU fandom that has many of my colleagues dreading the worst when it comes time to review or write about them. Pajiba still gets angry comments from said fans on years old reviews.

sol_bad

WB just literally have no idea what to do with their DC films. They severely fucked up the first Suicide Squad and Justice League, Flash has been in production hell and they keep randomly announcing new productions before solidifying any ideas. Batgirl announced with Joss Whedon and then he steps down. Black Adam was announced years ago and nothing is happening with that film.

No new announcements about Shazam 2 or Aquaman 2.

They expect to have 4-6 movies a year? I don't see it happening because 75% of what they have announced has zero movement and probably don't have completed scripts or attached directors. Maybe by 2030 they'll catch up to the MCU.

ManaByte

Gold Member
WB just literally have no idea what to do with their DC films. They severely fucked up the first Suicide Squad and Justice League, Flash has been in production hell and they keep randomly announcing new productions before solidifying any ideas. Batgirl announced with Joss Whedon and then he steps down. Black Adam was announced years ago and nothing is happening with that film.

No new announcements about Shazam 2 or Aquaman 2.

They expect to have 4-6 movies a year? I don't see it happening because 75% of what they have announced has zero movement and probably don't have completed scripts or attached directors. Maybe by 2030 they'll catch up to the MCU.

Black Adam was going to being filming back in August, but has been delayed due to COVID. The script and casting is done they just need the go-ahead after lockdowns end.

Black Adam is basically him assembling the DCEU Justice Society: Cyclone, Hawkman, Atom Smasher, and Doctor Fate.

Eventually they're going to have a Justice Society vs Justice League.

They also announced the Shazam 2 title in August.

Last edited:
Earth 2 is Battison and anything that might spin off out of that like the TV series. The Battison movie is set in present day.

Earth 1 is the DCEU. 1989 Batman was a different Earth, and at the end of The Flash Batfleck won’t exist in the DCEU anymore and instead Keaton will be that universes Batman and basically be the Kingdom Come version and show up in multiple movies like Batgirl and possibly a Batman Beyond while building and bank rolling a new Justice League.

The-Flash-movie-concept-art-Michael-Keaton-Batman.jpg

Meanwhile you’ll get a young Batman trilogy on Earth 2 with Battison.
Really glad/was hoping this would be the direction they go in. Embracing the multiverse frees them up to take more risks, and retcon what they need to retcon. Would be interested to see how Phoenix Joker fits into this. In terms of world and style, he looks like he could exist on Earth 2 (Battison), however I believe that would make him way older by the time Batman is actually active in Gotham.

oagboghi2

Omg a crazy person tweeted something rude.

Clearly these groups are the modern day ISIS. How will we go on? 🙄

It's just as I said

“They tweeted a lot and we didn’t like what they tweeted.”

When Snyder's cut is released, who will these journos bitch about then? Star wars fans again?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Really glad/was hoping this would be the direction they go in. Embracing the multiverse frees them up to take more risks, and retcon what they need to retcon. Would be interested to see how Phoenix Joker fits into this. In terms of world and style, he looks like he could exist on Earth 2 (Battison), however I believe that would make him way older by the time Batman is actually active in Gotham.
More than one Joker, just like in the comics.

zaanan

Banned
I'll take angry Shannon Zod over flamboyant Stamp Zod.
Eh, if the suits would have left Donner alone, Supe 2 would have been less slapstick and more dark. I prefer Stamp's cold menace to Shannon's angry bluster - it's more befitting of a high-level military man IMHO.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Eh, if the suits would have left Donner alone, Supe 2 would have been less slapstick and more dark. I prefer Stamp's cold menace to Shannon's angry bluster - it's more befitting of a high-level military man IMHO.

Stamp's Zod was the physical manifestation of arrogance. He knew he was above the weaklings of Planet Houston.

Raven117

I don't see how anybody can honestly think that movie executives give a damn about a silly concept of "cannon" anyway. "Cannon" itself is silly. Its just a narrative. Made up by someone at a desk.

There are characters, characters that do awesome things, things go boom, make millions. The end.

Something I've always appreciated about DC comics is their willingness to do alternative universes with no concern for "canon". Instead of the absurd marvel multiverse, DC just shrugs and lets good writers/artists give their take on a particular villain or hero. It is how we got stuff like Superman's Last Son of Earth or Batman's numerous "versions", along with numerous "versions" of Joker and role-flips and other fun oddities like that.

So the idea of DC "canon" is just weird to me. I understand they want continuity between movies (like Disney did with the MCU) but one of DC's strengths is the ability to tell side stories and re-imaginings. It is how we get movies like Joaquin Phoenix's Joker.

Top Bottom