• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome to the No Job Zone: Fox News Has Decided Bill O’Reilly Has to Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a great way to start the day! :)

Agreed. Day seems a bit brighter. Like others have said, it's a bummer the Fox was willing to keep lining his pockets despite knowing he was a bully and sexual assaulter. Yet I'm still glad he and Fox have to pay since they were willing to resist so hard previously

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Bring back the Colbert Report for just one night please.

Sadly, Comedy Central owns the rights to the Report, and since Stephen is on CBS he can't use them.
... But he can use his identical cousin Stephen Colbert, and his new segment The Werd.

Slacker

Maybe this is a sign that Fox News can start becoming a more proper and respectable conservative outlet instead of peddling conspiracy bullshit

Don't hold your breath. The agenda isn't changing. He wasn't fired Tami style for having an purity-test-failing opinion. He's out because he has become a financial liability. If Fox News honchos thought Alex Jones could make them a few bucks they'd snatch him up n a second.

Maybe this is a sign that Fox News can start becoming a more proper and respectable conservative outlet instead of peddling conspiracy bullshit

I've always associated sex offenders with ignorant, bigoted asses. If you get someone decent who doesn't see women as objects and minorities as leeches you have someone with a wider perspective and not out to vilify anyone not you.

They aren't interested in anyone decent. They didn't fire OReilly because his show was indecent. They are interested in continuing to pander to ignorant, xenophobic, racist bigots with limited world views, just someone that can still sell ad time while doing it.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
It's not a changing of anything. They didn't fire him because of his views or his takes, they fired him because his sexual harassing made it too difficult to make money with him with regards to sponsors. Had he simply been able to keep his dick in his pants Fox would have gladly kept his ignorant, hateful, bigoted ass employed.
I think if true the purchase of Sky News also is playing a role

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Sadly, Comedy Central owns the rights to the Report, and since Stephen is on CBS he can't use them.
... But he can use his identical cousin Stephen Colbert, and his new segment The Werd.

CBS is controlled by CC's parent company Viacom though, so there's hope.

Future

This is about the harassment scandal. Not the overall message. O Reilly at least had some balls in confronting some conservatives. Not a complete crony like Hannity who seems like he jerks off to Fox News and trump on a daily basis

Jerm411

See ya cunt....

HarmfulTangibleLadybird.gif

Bill was a moronic blowhard but someone like Hannity is far more dangerous. This could end up being a net negative considering who Fox will likely replace him with.

I honestly see O'Reilly as more dangerous. He has a bigger audience than Hannity and is likely to appeal to more independent people rather than Hannity's pure partisan ranting, allowing his hatred and horrible political views to become normalized and more widespread. In other words, he appears to be independent thinking and non-partisan to gullible people, when he's only slightly less partisan than Hannity. A lot of the things that Trump pushes for immigration, like the wall, are stuff that O'Reilly has been urging for years, and not to mention him demagoguing Kate Steinle's death and pushing for Kate's law, and now we have the Office of Crimes Committed by Illegal Immigrants or whatever Orwellian shit it's called. Still, Hannity is not far behind on the danger meter.

Since harassment is a deal-breaker to advertisers, it would have made sense to deny The Other Guy an entry into the televised debates. I think it's clear that the debates changed very few opinions, but at least we could've seen where the networks stand. But of course not. Anyway, this is good news.

Keri

I watch Fox news sometimes, along with CNN. I'm a liberal, but I like to see the different ways news is reported. I genuinely dislike Bill O'Reilly. Good riddance. He spins like crazy and he's such a smug asshole about it. He talks down to people he disagrees with, interrupts them (more than other interviewers) and he uses manipulative debate tactics, to try to reframe arguments and box people into corners. I don't agree with Tucker Carlson either, but at least he's not such a damn asshole about things.

I watch Fox news sometimes, along with CNN. I'm a liberal, but I like to see the different ways news is reported. I genuinely dislike Bill O'Reilly. Good riddance. He spins like crazy and he's such a smug asshole about it. He talks down to people he disagrees with, interrupts them (more than other interviewers) and he uses manipulative debate tactics, to try to reframe arguments and box people into corners. I don't agree with Tucker Carlson either, but at least he's not such a damn asshole about things.

Everyone at Fox News does that interrupting shit now, it's so maddening.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

I catch Fox News sometimes at the gym and I feel like you could describe basically every host as a "smug asshole" who isn't Shep Smith or Chris Wallace.

Would really be interested in a news outlet that reports on conservative viewpoints without so much asshole personality or individual spin.

I catch Fox News sometimes at the gym and I feel like you could describe basically every host as a "smug asshole" who isn't Shep Smith or Chris Wallace.

Would really be interested in a news outlet that reports on conservative viewpoints without so much asshole personality or individual spin.

Yeah, Chris Wallace is about the only one who calls about both sides in interviews.

And Shep Smith, he's amazing really, and it's stunning that he survived on the network. That's the fair and balance, a couple of left leaning moderates, Shep Smith, and 95 percent conservative commentators/anchors (who may not actually hold conservative views, but have to push the Fox agenda).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom