• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome to the No Job Zone: Fox News Has Decided Bill O’Reilly Has to Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember there were people who were dying on the hill that Fox would never let Fox News go in the thread about his sponsors leaving him. I admit I didn't think they'd go all the way either, but I told people in that thread that it was only a matter of time before his show was shitcanned. Don't matter if you're the 'face of the network' or whatever, when you start losing money and sponsors, it don't matter how much you meant.

Slacker

Is this real?

Of course! Video linked above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB-YKx0_-ZM

To be fair (God help me) to Bill O'Grabby, he was joking, and his defense is he was confronted on this was probably something like "hey I joke with everyone the same, black white or whatever." So probably more tone-deaf than intentionally racist.

That may be the goal with Fox News too if they're changing things up. Fox News: more tone-deaf than intentionally racist. Tune in, kids!

I don't watch regularly, but from what I've seen so far, Tucker Carlson is pretty good. It might be that I'm comparing him to Bill O'Reilly, but he seems more polite than other hosts and I think he approaches conversations a little more fairly. I also think that he spoke intelligently about the legal challenges to the travel ban, even though I ultimately disagreed with some of his conclusions. I remember him inviting lawyers to speak about the challenges more in depth, instead of Bill O'Reilly's tactic of hand waving the challenges away with: "It's OBVIOUSLY constitutional and legal, this is just liberals being dumb."

I haven't watched him every night though, so...I can't sign off on everything he's said or done. I will unequivocally say he's better than Bill O'Reilly though.

You are heading for danger

Strike

ae63e1df7b86dfb3b85cbfcbf5b3fe76_today-was-a-good-day-meme-ice-cube-today-was-a-good-day-meme_600-371.jpeg

Just read that this may not have even happened if not for the wife of Lochland Murdoch saying he needs to go. Score one for the wifey.

Just read that this may not have even happened if not for the wife of Lochland Murdoch saying he needs to go. Score one for the wifey.

Eh, she just hurried up the inevitable honestly. They may have kept him in on in some special capacity, but with how quickly he was bleeding sponsors, his show was toast.

Lothar

Banned
I dislike O'Reilly like everyone does but I still watched him all the time because it was entertaining. I liked seeing him say crazy things and argue with Dawkins and Stewart. So I'm going to miss it. He's getting paid so it's not really punishing him.

Blader

Is there really any kind of record of right-wing pundits getting picked up from non-right wing news organizations? I know CNN isn't really left leaning, but it's more center, and he's damaged goods. I doubt they'll want him.

Well, Greta Van Susteren went to MSNBC and Megyn Kelly went to regular NBC in just the last year.

I don't watch regularly, but from what I've seen so far, Tucker Carlson is pretty good. It might be that I'm comparing him to Bill O'Reilly, but he seems more polite than other hosts and I think he approaches conversations a little more fairly. I also think that he spoke intelligently about the legal challenges to the travel ban, even though I ultimately disagreed with some of his conclusions. I remember him inviting lawyers to speak about the challenges more in depth, instead of Bill O'Reilly's tactic of hand waving the challenges away with: "It's OBVIOUSLY constitutional and legal, this is just liberals being dumb."

I haven't watched him every night though, so...I can't sign off on everything he's said or done. I will unequivocally say he's better than Bill O'Reilly though.

Did you see Bill Nye on Tucker Carlson? Tucker is just as shouty and stupid when the subject is right. I don't see the point of running from one similar awning to the next thinking this one is gonna protect you from rain even better.

Well, yeah, those are true. I don't know if I'd consider them as damaged as O'Reilly is. I mean, Kelly is a giant piece of shit, though.

If CNN wanted him and his followers all he would have to do is appease them with a fake apology of how he in the past might have been misunderstood and he is now self aware of his actions being misunderstood and he will work harder to be open minded to how people can misinterpret his actions and words.

If CNN wanted him and his followers all he would have to do is appease them with a fake apology of how he in the past might have been misunderstood and he is now self aware of his actions being misunderstood and he will work harder to be open minded to how people can misinterpret his actions and words.

Eh, I'm not so sure. O'Reilly has such a deep set reputation as a right-wing nutty that I'm not so sure CNN or another network want him. Even with an apology, that's a lot of baggage. I think it's a situation similar to Beck. He's going to have to go through a period of doing his own thing, have a semi-face turn, and then maybe go somewhere else.

Eh, I'm not so sure. O'Reilly has such a deep set reputation as a right-wing nutty that I'm not so sure CNN or another network want him. Even with an apology, that's a lot of baggage. I think it's a situation similar to Beck. He's going to have to go through a period of doing his own thing, have a semi-face turn, and then maybe go somewhere else.

Six months was a bad number to use but my point was that an outlet like CNN would possibly sacrifice some viewers to gain a larger block of viewers. This boycott to scare thing has just started. Historically we have not seen any examples of backlash a year later. Perhaps we will if someone picks him up again.

Tigress

Awww. My parents are going to be sad (I'm not that sad ;) ). I wonder if they'll blame bill or Fox News (they are loyal to both. I hate both so don't care).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
it wont change a thing. this rich parasite will continue to be a horrible person, and fox will continue their act to mislead the poorest of people's into hating each other and others for dollar signs.

Its a hollow victory

Awww. My parents are going to be sad (I'm not that sad ;) ). I wonder if they'll blame bill or Fox News (they are loyal to both. I hate both so don't care).

They will spin it as outrage towards a PC environment that is taking over. I see this with some of my crazier cousins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom