• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sean Hannity Eyes Fox News Exit, Insiders Say

Fox News is a platform unlike any other: they can't recreate the reach FN had in its prime and won't be able to. They'll get, at best, a fraction of their previous audience.

This, basically.

None of these guys are going to go broke. There are plenty of outlets that will pay them fuck-you money. But none of them have anything even approaching the reach and influence of Fox News. Not even close. And a new network--even if it's a success--would take at least a decade to gain that kind of reach.

I'm skeptical Brietbart has the capital to pick up these people. O'Reilly and Hannity would each cost several times the existing talent payroll of those companies.

Not to mention it's no secret that Brietbart is just a thinly disguised Neo-Nazi website, so good luck finding big advertisers to attach to that.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Breitbart would be very stupid to try to launch a television network, but a WWE Network-like streaming service would probably be very profitable for them, especially if they could get O'Reilly, Hannity, Lahren, Coulter, and others being ousted from the mainstream of late.
I assume a Breitbart streaming service would be targeting Fox's audience aka the ones least likely to know what the hell digital streaming is.

Smoke more weed. That's what's helping me cope lmao
Damn good advice.

Averon

I don't get why Fox News would want to pull away from hard-right politics to begin with. That was a cash cow.

Weight of high profile lawsuits + advertisers pulling out gives Murdoch's more liberal sons, who have started taking over operations of Fox, the perfect excuse to clean house.

This.

There are already innumerable other sources for the extreme right to espouse their conspiracy theories outside of Fox. But only the cable network maintained the clout(through major marketing money) and ease of access into homes for it to become the juggernaut it was.

There will be those that follow wherever these nutjobs end up, but it won't carry the same impact.

Exactly, I think people greatly underestimate the amount of work and money it takes to establish a network that has the reach that Fox News has had. There's just no easy way to make it appear instantly, so instead there are just going to be a bunch of fragmented attempts by all of these disgraced hosts to take back their own pieces of the pie. I doubt any other network would be able to replace the wide reaching audience of Fox News, it's a staple in so many homes that even with all of these host departures I can't imagine many will stop watching it. And even if there is a mass exodus of viewers, they probably won't flock to the same network meaning lower viewership moneys/less ad money.

RPGCrazied

Tucker next? That judge woman is pretty bad also. And Fox & Friends. If they can pull that off I'd watch the channel. lol

FTF

bye-b.gif

Kthulhu

Honestly. The network can't get any worse. And I'd give just about anything for my family to stop watching these wack job pundits.

All these people leaving I wouldn't be surprised if they just start their own network. Lord knows it will probably lean even further right than Fox already does.
Do Breitbart and those types of organizations really have to money to pay a Hannity or O'Reilly level personality?
Nah, people hardly even knew what a Breitbart was until recently. I mean it was always visited by the more insane parts of society, but even now with bannons name out there, with the rise of Milo in the past, I still wouldn't have called it mainstream known to the public

Jenov

Get rid of Hannity and Oreilly and shift your network more left, get rid of the right wing toxicity, conspiracies and propaganda.

Maxim726X

For real, with how loyal a lapdog Sean has been for Trump... I wonder if he would get a job in his inner circle?

Maybe this will be the opportunity that he needs.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The holy grail of right wing talking points remains Rush. When he's done, then we can celebrate. Not before.

I haven't heard a right-wing muppet say his name in almost a decade.

I haven't heard a right-wing muppet say his name in almost a decade.

That's because you don't hang out with 90 year olds. He is still around just stuck in the space of Cadillacs going super slow in Sun City and other retirement destinations.

Wouldn't surprise me if we end up getting Trump TV with all these assholes in one place.
As long as it isn't funded by government money as some sort of fucked up replacement for PBS I say let them try. There aren't many advertisers that would touch that station with a 10 foot pole so I can't imagine it would be profitable enough or get high enough ratings to keep all of those egotistical hosts happy.

M24uddA.gif

There's rumblings of another super conservative news org popping up soon. Lots of talking heads now post Fox that are in limbo so I'm more worried it might be true.

Hopefully no advertisers wanna touch them with a ten foot pole but lawyers (like they have been) will.

I don't know, I think the more likely outcome is that each of the personalities will disperse, fragmenting their audience further past the "stick with Fox News" and the "stop watching" divisions.

This couldn't have happened at a worse time for them, considering how deeply Trump and his trash fire of a presidency is fragmenting conservatism in general. For all intents and purposes they have become the mainstream establishment they pretended to hate all this time, now they don't know where to go or what to do. Sean thinks he's a strong independent personality who don't need no man, much like Glenn Beck, but at best he's niche, and even now he's subject to infighting among assholes with big egos who think they're hot shit.

Good. That "more radical than thou" bullshit has been driving conservatism, the GOP, and America into the trash dump for a decade now. The sooner the crazier ones (or just media pundits in general) get their hands off the wheel of the Right and the sooner they start operating out of reality 24/7 (with a conservative lean natch) the better we'll all be.

Who knew that the rise of Donald Trump would lead to the cleansing of Fox News?

It's funny, but I'm not too surprised it's playing out this way. The right is largely motivated by fear and hatred, which is an easy to sell when the opposition is in control. They have everything though and are still beating the same drum, so a lot of their BS is getting more negative attention.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I don't get why Fox News would want to pull away from hard-right politics to begin with. That was a cash cow.

It's not hard-right politics they're pulling away from so much as it is the people who work there. A TON of sponsors pulled their ads from O'Reilly's show in the wake of so many allegations. Ratings are one thing, but once sponsors don't want to support your show anymore networks tend to pay attention. Of course... the rumors of a toxic environment and bad word of mouth spreading about the network is probably enough for many high profile contributors to feel like jumping ship if they can line up something better.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
anybody who thinks Fox News is going to pull hard to the left is fooling themselves

they know where the money is

they just dump the individuals who are part of "the problem" and keep on with what they were doing.

Raxus

It's funny, but I'm not too surprised it's playing out this way. The right is largely motivated by fear and hatred, which is an easy to sell when the opposition is in control. They have everything though and are still beating the same drum, so a lot of their BS is getting more negative attention.

That and literally years of sexual harassment coming to light and documented all over the place.

Still, gives more time for Trump to 'talk to Hannity, talk to Hannity, talk to Hannity'

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Fox News is a platform unlike any other: they can't recreate the reach FN had in its prime and won't be able to. They'll get, at best, a fraction of their previous audience.

Because the cash cow ran out. Advertisers don't want to have anything to do with sex offenders.

Yep. Once the bankroll started collapsing for O'Reilly, you can guarantee those same organizations and many others are taking an even closer look under the microscope(as are many) as they concern their money isn't supporting values or a culture that is potentially toxic to their brand.

Also these companies must consider if the massive FOX viewership are the ones truly maintaining and sustaining your brand and sales revenue...or is it the other side? Where they throw support can have repercussions, even if its both sides as many do. It's really difficult for a company to claw back sympathy or empathy once the public turns on them and that needs to be avoided(even if this administration doesn't get it). Not only did the massive amount of corporations that pulled out so quickly kind of prove FOX viewers weren't THAT important, it also sent a message to the world on the ethical and moral standing these companies do adopt. Goodwill and possible greater support among an even larger audience, one that is likely deemed to be more vital.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The biggest problem with starting a new cable channel is being included in TV packages so that people actually have the ability watch it in the first place. You have to pay a bunch of money to get into people's cable lineups as a start up.

And we're talking about a median age of 68 year old, so advertising money is pretty difficult to come by. You're not going to get the lucrative beer and car and movie commercials other stations get.

So your long term goal is to be like Fox and make most of your money from cable and satellite providers paying you to be included in their packages, which they aren't going to do until you can prove yourself as a draw, and that money is in the process of drying up altogether anyway.

Everything -- Ailes getting the boot, O'Reilly getting the boot, Shine getting the boot, Hannity looking for a way out, the numerous lawsuits -- started with this woman:

giphy.gif

Bless her for getting the ball rolling.

Top Bottom