• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sean Hannity Accused of Sexual Harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
tumblr_nxcqnnaZlP1qcruu2o1_500.gif

Ultima_5

I mean it's shitty, but is that really harassment? If it were a boss/employee type situation then definitely, but isn't this more of being a dick by not asking somebody to be a guest anymore because they said no?

maybe the advances were where the harassment happened?

i don't go out of my way to be around people who turn me down for dates or whatever

All I need to know about Hanity is that he condemned Obama for the same thing he praised Trump for seven years later, lack of white house experience.

Dude is a joke.

I mean it's shitty, but is that really harassment? If it were a boss/employee type situation then definitely, but isn't this more of being a dick by not asking somebody to be a guest anymore because they said no?

I mean, if Hannity didn't invite her back solely because she did not accept his advances, then, yes, there is a problem there

woolley

The guy is a piece of shit person but I don't really see how asking someone of they want to hook up is sexaul harassment. Maybe if he tried to keep pushing it after she said no or talked bad about her after she declined then I can see it.

Speevy

Banned
I just had a horrible thought. Do the female Fox News contributors who more often appear on television say yes?

The guy is a piece of shit person but I don't really see how asking someone of they want to hook up is sexaul harassment. Maybe if he tried to keep pushing it after she said no or talked bad about her after she declined then I can see it.

Asking a coworker if they want to hook up in the workplace is absolutely sexual harassment, yes

Especially if said coworker is not invited back on to a show because of it! (allegedly)

I wouldn't be surprised, but I'm not going to assume he's guilty from a single accusation on a radio show.

Shep Smith.

There.

It would be rather surprising if he turned out to have sexually harassed women, yes.

If you make advances on someone, they turn you down, and then you fuck with their career in response, it's sexual harassment. One of many reasons why it's generally a good idea not to try to hook up with someone you work with.

I just had a horrible thought. Do the female Fox News contributors who more often appear on television say yes?

Nah. Look at all the people who have accused Ailes of harassment, including Megyn Kelly who was one of their top personalities period. Many of them had their own shows or recurring segments.

I don't think anyone is surprised these guys are assholes. Hopefully it takes him down from tv.

Must be nice for his wife to hear this also...

woolley

Asking a coworker if they want to hook up in the workplace is absolutely sexual harassment, yes

Especially if said coworker is not invited back on to a show because of it! (allegedly)
I may be wrong but a contributer isn't an employee of the company and the weren't at the workplace but at a conference.

Biske

What was going on at Fox News is clearly systemic. You don't form a boys club lead by Roger Ailes with ring leaders like Bill O'reilly without all the other fucks wanting to participate as well.

Is she a coworker or just someone who would appear as a talking head on those shows frequently? They aren't really employees or receive any kind of compensation, but rather just generally volunteer to appear on air.

TheContact

In the OP:

"Schlussel says that after she turned down his advances, she was not invited back on his program."

Stopped getting invited onto his show because she wouldn't fuck him.

While that's really fucked up that's hard to prove.

Not exactly. I realize this is going to sound crass, but it's nevertheless true: it's not sexual harassment if they like it.

You absolutely can make sexual advances towards your coworker. (It may be against company policy.) But you can't create a hostile work environment or try to start a quid pro quo transaction.

Honestly, in other words, Hannity did nothing wrong if, after being rejected, he shrugged his shoulders and let it go. This case is more interesting because they weren't even employed by Fox. I don't even think this woman has a claim -- even accepting everything she said as true.

I wouldn't be surprised, but I'm not going to assume he's guilty from a single accusation on a radio show.

It would be rather surprising if he turned out to have sexually harassed women, yes.

If you make advances on someone, they turn you down, and then you fuck with their career in response, it's sexual harassment. One of many reasons why it's generally a good idea not to try to hook up with someone you work with.

Definitely, I guess that's what I'm trying to pin down though, I don't know if it is necessarily fucking with their career. The people that appear on those shows are more like guests on a talk show.

Is she a coworker or just someone who would appear as a talking head on those shows frequently? They aren't really employees or receive any kind of compensation, but rather just generally volunteer to appear on air.

I don't see why this distinction would matter at all. Are you saying that because she may not have been paid (which is most likely not the case) it isn't sexual harassment if Hannity were to make advances on her and subsequently not invite her back on his show because she rejected him?

smurfx

get some go again
Yup that's what I was looking for haha. She's someone in the bubble calling this out.
she definitely seems like the type who would call out other women making these claims. she must really hate hannity. if only she could somehow take him down and have both of them disappear.

RPGCrazied

It begins. Removing Bill O'Reily is going to start a downfall with that company, can it please at the very end lead to Trump?

Shep Smith.

There.
I recall reading about him doing shady shit a few years ago.

hmm... can't find anything on him besides the aggravated vehicular assault, where the charges were dropped: http://www.sptimes.com/News/111800/news_pf/State/National_TV_anchor_is.shtml

could've sworn he was involved in some sort of harassment or workplace bullying too. maybe it was just rumours.

edit: and as you can see from the **** link, there aren't even any reputable sources (granted, the alleged assault occured in the early days of the internet). also this gawker article on him: http://gawker.com/shepard-smith-tells-waitress-get-my-fucking-drink-1449482969

I guess he must be relatively clean.

I don't see why this distinction would matter at all. Are you saying that because she may not have been paid (which is most likely not the case) it isn't sexual harassment if Hannity were to make advances on her and subsequently not invite her back on his show because she rejected him?

The distinction absolutely matters, legally speaking.

It doesn't make Hannity less of a shitstain of a human being, but how can this woman suffer an adverse employment decision if she's not employed by Hannity's employer? (She can't.)

Note that I'm only talking about sexual harassment in the discrimination context. If he "actually" harassed her, like stalked her or left suggestive calls; or if he caused her emotional harm; or if he somehow caused the breach of her contributor contract, we could talk about other theories of liability.

But as this woman paints it, there's no there there. At least, not that I can see.

I doubt thats even the point behind airing him out like this. She's trying to convince any other potential victims to come forward.

Oh, absolutely, and I hope they do.

Not exactly. I realize this is going to sound crass, but it's nevertheless true: it's not sexual harassment if they like it.

You absolutely can make sexual advances towards your coworker. (It may be against company policy.) But you can't create a hostile work environment or try to start a quid pro quo transaction.

Honestly, in other words, Hannity did nothing wrong if, after being rejected, he shrugged his shoulders and let it go. This case is more interesting because they weren't even employed by Fox. I don't even think this woman has a claim -- even accepting everything she said as true.

I mean, yes, if things are consensual then it's not sexual harassment, but we're not talking about a case where that is true.

she definitely seems like the type who would call out other women making these claims. she must really hate hannity. if only she could somehow take him down and have both of them disappear.

I mean it's the same thing Palin did with Jake Tapper. Blame the accusers but also kiiiiind of acknowledge what went on and show how she's so strong she doesn't put up with this shit.

I mean yeah, sort of?

It's kind of like the distinction between say, if Conan O'Brien made advances on Andy Richter and after he turned him down Andy Richter no longer appeared on his show, and say, if Conan stopped inviting Paul Rudd on his show after he turned him down...to make an absurd hypothetical.

Most of those guests are literal volunteers who gain nothing from their appearances on those shows. It's not like terminating an employee because they won't sleep with you. It's a dick move, but harassment, idk.

woolley

Did he make an ultimatum to have sex with him? If I'm turned down by a girl am I then obligated to continue talking to her? I'm not seeing her saying he did anything to try and hurt her career.

rjinaz

You input is always appreciated. Thanks!

I hope he falls hard in some way but it doesn't seem like this is going to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom