• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sean Hannity Eyes Fox News Exit, Insiders Say

There's rumblings of another super conservative news org popping up soon. Lots of talking heads now post Fox that are in limbo so I'm more worried it might be true.
Yeah. If Fox News collapses I'm afraid another network will spring up to replace it. Clearly there's a market for right-wing television news and I don't see Fox viewers being so loyal to the brand they'll stick with the network if the stars leave and the channel becomes more than a mouthpiece for racist Republican talking points.

Yeah, he knows that his time is coming soon, and he wants to get out and out of the spotlight before his rep gets too tarnished. In a way, I feel good, but in others I don't, because now he'll probably fly under the radar at smaller venues without getting a proper public shaming, but whatever, him fucking off from the mainstream is fine either way I guess

RPGCrazied

I wish there was some dirt on those Fox & Friends guys. That is the show Trump likes the most. Can you imagine the salt if they fire those guys too.

Would be delicious.

Breitbart would be very stupid to try to launch a television network, but a WWE Network-like streaming service would probably be very profitable for them, especially if they could get O'Reilly, Hannity, Lahren, Coulter, and others being ousted from the mainstream of late.

These nut jobs are just going to pool their money and start prime time segments on Breitbart, dragging their audiences and the American public farther to the right

I don't know, I think the more likely outcome is that each of the personalities will disperse, fragmenting their audience further past the "stick with Fox News" and the "stop watching" divisions.

This couldn't have happened at a worse time for them, considering how deeply Trump and his trash fire of a presidency is fragmenting conservatism in general. For all intents and purposes they have become the mainstream establishment they pretended to hate all this time, now they don't know where to go or what to do. Sean thinks he's a strong independent personality who don't need no man, much like Glenn Beck, but at best he's niche, and even now he's subject to infighting among assholes with big egos who think they're hot shit.

Izayoi

Banned
Am I the only one worried that this is going to be the genesis of a new, even more batshit-crazy network where Hannity and O'Reilly and all of their insane friends go and this is really just serving to fuck us all even harder and we don't even know it?

send help

edit:

These nut jobs are just going to pool their money and start prime time segments on Breitbart, dragging their audiences and the American public farther to the right
thank you

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Who knew that the rise of Donald Trump would lead to the cleansing of Fox News? None of these silver linings are worth Trump's presidency, but I'll take em where I can get em.

LosDaddie

Banned
Yeah. If Fox News collapses I'm afraid another network will spring up to replace it. Clearly there's a market for right-wing television news and I don't see Fox viewers being so loyal to the brand they'll stick with the network if the stars leave and the channel becomes more than a mouthpiece for racist Republican talking points.

This is correct. Fox News wouldn't exist without the market to sustain it. If it collapses, then another will pop up to fill the void.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
It would be amazing for the country if Fox news pushed away from being a hard right news organization as the article mentions.

Bolivar687

Banned
Am I the only one worried that this is going to be the genesis of a new, even more batshit-crazy network where Hannity and O'Reilly and all of their insane friends go and this is really just serving to fuck us all even harder and we don't even know it?

send help

Their audience is too big not to.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry

send help

Smoke more weed. That's what's helping me cope lmao

send help

Everyone that believes that either Breitbart or a new network is going to evolve and just take over were Fox was has to keep in mind cable news is an entirely different beast that takes a lot of capital and a lot of commitment from advertisers. Perhaps a "Blaze" like thing will happen but nothing that is going into peoples houses like Fox or other networks for quite some time.

rjinaz

Never watched Hannity alone since he always had a smug, holier than thou approach that made me want to punch the TV. Hannity and Colmes was cool.

Used to watch the show too and liked it, but I actually hated Colmes back then and liked Hannity!Things sure have changed for the better for me. I wish today me could watch the show back on air.

KarmaCow

send help

Eh, this already exists in the conservative talk radio sphere. Rush and Hannity have been building that for decades.

shoelacer

Banned
Is there anything to the concerns of Hannity and co that Fox is moving away from the right? Seems like an odd time to veer away from that particular flavor of partisanship

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't get why Fox News would want to pull away from hard-right politics to begin with. That was a cash cow.

send help

edit:

thank you

Fox News is a platform unlike any other: they can't recreate the reach FN had in its prime and won't be able to. They'll get, at best, a fraction of their previous audience.

I don't get why Fox News would want to pull away from hard-right politics to begin with. That was a cash cow.

Because the cash cow ran out. Advertisers don't want to have anything to do with sex offenders.

It's possible and nature does abhor a vacuum, but--starting a network is REALLY fucking expensive. Rupert Murdoch-expensive. Fox News and MSNBC are 20 years old. CNN is almost 40 years old. What's the most recent network you can think of to have gained any significant traction?

Strike

giphy.gif

RPGCrazied

Is there anything to the concerns of Hannity and co that Fox is moving away from the right? Seems like an odd time to veer away from that particular flavor of partisanship

Word is Murdoch sons are liberals. And times are a changing, looks like more and more they are taking things over.

I know this comes up in every thread, so it's probably useless to keep repeating it, but launching a major TV network is not only an expensive venture, it's a very hard one to continue on. Even if you did somehow manage to get big names like Hannity and O'Reilly under the same roof, and managed to be able to pay them enough to keep them around, you still have to have continuous capital to make sure you can keep it up literally all the time. And there's the issue of finding advertisers to fill slots for these people who are basically disgraced TV personalities that were being kicked off TV because they were losing ad revenue. Not to mention you then have to lure them away from the incredibly old and loyal fanbase who have made it a habit for years to make Fox News, and only Fox News.

I mean, look at Glenn Beck. In his heyday, he was massive, maybe not as big as O'Reilly, but at least as big as Hannity. And The Blaze basically limps along and hasn't even made a dent in the overall TV market. It's not easy to launch and maintain a network on even that scale, much like a multimedia giant like Fox News.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It's possible and nature does abhor a vacuum, but--starting a network is REALLY fucking expensive. Rupert Murdoch-expensive. Fox News and MSNBC are 20 years old. CNN is almost 40 years old. What's the most recent network you can think of to have gained any significant traction?

There's a newish far-right news network called OAN, but its ratings are terrible.

Thank god, hope he leaves. All of these nutjobs have way too big of egos to not make their own independent shows, and even if they did group up for some internet/radio network it would not have nearly the brainwashing reach as Fox News does. Hopefully Fox News becomes just a bit more moderate in the way they present things in the not so distant future with all of these departures. I'm sure it will still remain a conservative leaning network, and while you ideally want all news stations to be as center/impartial as they can be, that seems like a pretty tough thing to ask for both liberal and conservative outlets in the current climate so any thing that pulls the extreme ends more towards the middle is definitely welcome.

Judderman

drawer by drawer

RIP Al-Jazeera English.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Everyone that believes that either Breitbart or a new network is going to evolve and just take over were Fox was has to keep in mind cable news is an entirely different beast that takes a lot of capital and a lot of commitment from advertisers. Perhaps a "Blaze" like thing will happen but nothing that is going into peoples houses like Fox or other networks for quite some time.

This.

There are already innumerable other sources for the extreme right to espouse their conspiracy theories outside of Fox. But only the cable network maintained the clout(through major marketing money) and ease of access into homes for it to become the juggernaut it was.

There will be those that follow wherever these nutjobs end up, but it won't carry the same impact.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Breitbart will hire them to boost credibility I would imagine.

I doubt that Brietbart has the capital to pick up these people. O'Reilly and Hannity would each cost several times the existing talent payroll of those companies. Sean Hannity's total salary is somewhere around $30,000,000.

Izayoi

Banned
Eh, this already exists in the conservative talk radio sphere. Rush and Hannity have been building that for decades.
Fox News is a platform unlike any other: they can't recreate the reach FN had in its prime and won't be able to. They'll get, at best, a fraction of their previous audience.
Mildly reassuring, thank you friends.

Dyle

Good riddance. I doubt him and O'Reilly will ever get tv shows again, the ad market probably won't support either of them. The only way they could really make it work would be by having some rich donor fund everything a la Breitbart, but it's hard to imagine anyone willing to waste that kind money on a TV network.

Top Bottom