• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

iddqd

- Still can't get over how contrived the Maeve part is (I dont mind her becomign NEO, I just hate how dumb it is HOW she gets there "You will do it!" "Ok!").
- MIB's backstory is less interesting then GAF's version of it
- William and Dolores, run around, run around. Do nothing.

It's going to be interesting if this is show turns really lame once the mystery box is opened.
Like actually looking at what everybody did ruing a season of plot, there is not much there but hints of hints of hints.

Skipping around in the thread...

I like Maeve's plot. But that's in part because I am projecting my expectations on it, that she will eventually be successful. We're seeing her learn and adapt, and she will eventually get out, and be all the more formidable for the failures along the way.

RangerX

Banned
I like Maeve's plotline a lot. Maybe its because Thandie Newton is such a good actress but its working for me. I don't know, compassion is decent enough motivation for me tbh. The ginger dude is pretty awful alright.

I thought this was obvious. If she's trying to use a bot to sneak stuff out, you want the one that doesn't look like a decomposing zombie.

Eh, it's not like they couldn't simply clean any of them up as I'm sure they'll have to do for him anyway. I'm hoping he was chosen specifically for a reason or it does seem "too convenient" of a coincidence.

I like Maeve's plotline a lot. Maybe its because Thandie Newton is such a good actress but its working for me. I don't know, compassion is decent enough motivation for me tbh. The ginger dude is pretty awful alright.

I was pretty fucking disappointed that she had the other guy save him.

I mean, I understand that killing somebody is going to fuck up her plans, but damn would I be happy if that guy were gone.

jfkgoblue

I really don't understand the hate for pizza guy in here. If your partner was fucking around with things that he shouldn't, helping out a robot that wants to start an uprising, and also gets you roped into it, how the fuck would you respond?

Matty77

One of the contradictory points is that MiB said when he first came, he opened a host and saw he was made up of robot parts. But Im pretty sure when William is around, the hosts are made up of bio-synthetic materials.
This has been addressed multiple times, as shown with the hosts in fords unregistered cabin the two types of hosts are indistinguishable until they are literally opened up and examined and since that has not happened around William we have no actual evidence to prove or disprove the theory based on that angle.

Me too, I love Thandie as an actress and as a person, I hope her character doesn't get herself killed.

In the last episode it became apparent that one of the guys is doing it out of compassion, only a major ass(like the ginger dude) wouldn't have compassion at this point, she's showing actual consciousness like a human being. I don't get the hate for this plot.

So is the Hector going to step in and save her from the moon suits? Did they just show that stop watch/robbery scene because they wanted to illustrate her power? She did say specifically she was going to recruit allies and they showed that scene next while cutting to another before we saw it all play out. I don't think it was just to show her causing the law to kill itself. At least I'm hoping not because while her method of becoming god like was a bit forced what would be really awful is with all that new found intelligence she just fucks up and dumb asses her way into getting caught and wiped

jfkgoblue

Me too, I love Thandie as an actress and as a person, I hope her character doesn't get herself killed.

In the last episode it became apparent that one of the guys is doing it out of compassion, only a major ass(like the ginger dude) wouldn't have compassion at this point, she's showing actual consciousness like a human being. I don't get the hate for this plot.
its not compassion, it's stupidity. Why would you help someone that has been intimidating and threatening you lead a robot uprising?

SeanC

Compassion is one thing, conspiring is another. If it was just "leave her to think for herself and help her escape" that's fine. Works for that character. But jumping through hoops to help her conspire to bring down Westworld and start controlling it and "building an army" is something else entirely.

Maybe if the asian guy really, really hated his job and wanted to destroy it I could buy it. But it doesn't. It seems he loves it.

Feorax

Personally, I think he's helping her because she's giving him a feeling of importance, as well as being shit scared of her.

She's put faith in his coding ability when everyone else though he was no good. That's gotta give him some incentive to back her.

Corpekata

Banned
So is the Hector going to step in and save her from the moon suits? Did they just show that stop watch/robbery scene because they wanted to illustrate her power? She did say specifically she was going to recruit allies and they showed that scene next while cutting to another before we saw it all play out. I don't think it was just to show her causing the law to kill itself. At least I'm hoping not because while her method of becoming god like was a bit forced what would be really awful is with all that new found intelligence she just fucks up and dumb asses her way into getting caught and wiped

Think this scene is just to show how she's evolving. She lets Hector have his victory / he gets to live. She protects the bartender and NuClementine + the other girls by keeping them out of the line of fire. Maybe it was part of a plan of getting allies, but I think at this point her plan is not working out correctly and she fucked up when she freaked out.

Teletraan1

Banned
Eh, it's not like they couldn't simply clean any of them up as I'm sure they'll have to do for him anyway. I'm hoping he was chosen specifically for a reason or it does seem "too convenient" of a coincidence.

Go watch the scenes in that cold storage again. The other hosts look like bloated corpses. They have beat us over the head multiple times talking about how the cold storage was malfunctioning and how it stinks etc. They are choosing a host based on the criteria that they need it to pass for human to get it out of there. The only logical choices were among the newest decommissioned ones so it was either Abernathy or the non trevor milkman. Your specific reason is not bloated corpse.

I like the Maeve subplot conceptually but it is by far the most contrived, unrealistic and unbelievable part about the show. Even if they're around maintenance or wherever I just can't believe they haven't been discovered, Maeve even cut ginger guy's throat and they just sent her back like nothing, are we really expected to believe there's absolutely no monitoring of any kind?

She's also messing with her lines and other hosts' programming and they only get a warning when she actually cuts someone's throat down the street. I like the show mainly for Hopkins and Harris and I think the story is pretty good in general terms but sometimes I'm having a real hard time suspending my incredulity.

Radogol

Just watched the episode. My current theory is that Dolores is physically in the present but she is reliving her memories (note how it was specifically stated that Hosts' memories are prefect, almost indistinguishable from their perception of the present). Her memories of William are real but she is re-experiencing them now and can't distinguish them from reality. Kind of like Dr Manhattan if he had no control - or awareness - of his powers.

That could explain why she's jumping all over the timelines and can see herself's other lives occasionally.

A few comments

- consciousness IS an illusion. That has always been my position, ever since I was a child. Seems perfectly obvious to me.

- the butchers are not hosts ffs

- yay, I'm not losing my account

bounchfx

just finished watching it... that was fucking dope. pumped for the next two!

there's some stuff that irks me but it's simply not enough to even remotely damage my opinion of the show

- consciousness IS an illusion. That has always been my position, ever since I was a child. Seems perfectly obvious to me.

i just love where they are going with this stuff in the show in general, though I doubt most people aren't going to really think about the message any deeper than the show itself. which is fine, but it's still awesome

Speevy

Banned
I know it doesn't fit the story, but wouldn't it be cooler if Westworld had been a fully built idea that got scrapped due to lack of funding or ethics concerns, then a group of people found it? Ford could still have been researching and building it.

That would make the whole air of menace much more affecting. They could even introduce a group of guests that would get trapped inside the park.

FStop7

Banned
A few comments

- the butchers are not hosts ffs

- yay, I'm not losing my account

This is the stuff that hooked me in the first place and what keeps me coming back.

Teletraan1

Banned
I like the Maeve subplot conceptually but it is by far the most contrived, unrealistic and unbelievable part about the show. Even if they're around maintenance or wherever I just can't believe they haven't been discovered, Maeve even cut ginger guy's throat and they just sent her back like nothing, are we really expected to believe there's absolutely no monitoring of any kind?

She's also messing with her lines and other hosts' programming and they only get a warning when she actually cuts someone's throat down the street. I like the show mainly for Hopkins and Harris and I think the story is pretty good in general terms but sometimes I'm having a real hard time suspending my incredulity.

Characters can't see doors or pictures
or their own likeness in pictures
yet far too many people getting hung up on the fact that these techs aren't getting caught like this is all taking place in some real life corporate setting. I feel like the whole thing is orchestrated, Nobody can see it because they aren't meant to.

Characters can't see doors or pictures
or their own likeness in pictures
yet far too many people getting hung up on the fact that these techs aren't getting caught like this is all taking place in some real life corporate setting. I feel like the whole thing is orchestrated, Nobody can see it because they aren't meant to.

Well, I sure hope so. The ideas of someone helping Maeve from the shadows or that techs/workers might actually be hosts are pretty interesting, until then it remains the most questionable part of the story.

Watched The Walking Dead right after Westworld last night. I would not recommended this at all.

For all of it's bumps, WW is god like TV and made watching TWD such a terrible chore. I do hope the holes around Frick and Frack get closed up in the next two episodes, but other then that, no real complaints.

This is the stuff that hooked me in the first place and what keeps me coming back.

Perhaps that what I posted is too simplistic but I've never believed that human consciousness is anything other than an extremely complex bio-machine that has no free-will whatsoever. No-one really has any choice about anything but the illusion is so fine, so nuanced and so intricate that it makes no real difference to anything. Consider an RNG, it's impossible to make a computer generated number random but it is possible to make an RNG that is as close to random as makes no difference.

Watched The Walking Dead right after Westworld last night. I would not recommended this at all.

For all of it's bumps, WW is god like TV and made watching TWD such a terrible chore. I do hope the holes around Frick and Frack get closed up in the next two episodes, but other then that, no real complaints.

i donno at least TWD doesnt insult with trying to be more clever than it really is

also JDM's negan is so adorbs :>

not saying TWD is WW's equals, just saying people can enjoy a variety of shows for very different reasons. unless you feel the need to elevate one by bashing the other, i see no cause in rubbishing other shows.... my 2 cents~

Socreges

Banned
i donno at least TWD doesnt insult with trying to be more clever than it really is

not saying TWD is WW's equals, just saying people can enjoy a variety of shows for very different reasons. unless you feel the need to elevate one by bashing the other, i see no cause in rubbishing other shows.... my 2 cents~
Maybe you should just suffer someone's criticism of TWD instead of whining and using it as another soapbox against Westworld? 🤔

Just watched the episode. My current theory is that Dolores is physically in the present but she is reliving her memories (note how it was specifically stated that Hosts' memories are prefect, almost indistinguishable from their perception of the present). Her memories of William are real but she is re-experiencing them now and can't distinguish them from reality. Kind of like Dr Manhattan if he had no control - or awareness - of his powers.

That could explain why she's jumping all over the timelines and can see herself's other lives occasionally.

This is such bulllshit. How many WD Reddrive a host need to carry to have perfect memory on all her previous lives?

Maybe you should just suffer someone's criticism of TWD instead of whining and using it as another soapbox against Westworld? 🤔

whoa, .... have my posts offend you, sir~

are my 'whining' of westworld making you uncomfortable?

for the record, i have always given credits to westworld's well-done aspects, but ok. im whining and soapboxy. i can roll with this new narrative :>

Socreges

Banned
whoa, .... have my posts offend you, sir~

are my 'whining' of westworld making you uncomfortable?

for the record, i have always given credits to westworld's well-done aspects, but ok. im whining and soapboxy. i can roll with this new narrative :>
ytt5vmdqrcx3g4lfdu2v.gif

Thandie is absolutely killing her role. Like she carries the Maeve subplot like crazy. If they used any other actress (ex, Delore) for Thandie's role this subplot would be so crap. That isn't saying the actress playing Delores is bad; but rather Thandie is that fucking good.
Right there with ya, she's incredible.

Zeliard

It was apparent from the scenes with the bird. The whole point of those scenes was a) to show Felix's level of empathy and even love for artificial constructs (note his child-like glee and wonder once the bird starts to fly around the room), and b) his particular skill at programming for someone at his position, which Maeve herself later remarked on. It's clear why he has such difficulty with the idea of basically killing what he progressively sees as more and more human, if he felt that way about a simple robotic bird. One of the show's major themes is that being alive is tied to the act of remembering, so wiping a host's memories in Felix's eyes (which is what formatting her would do) is akin to killing them.

I also don't get the hatred for those scenes. Maeve was literally designed to be a master manipulator since her brothel character is to persuade and effectively control guests, usually men, and that was before all of her upgrades. She directs her threats and manipulations in a very calculated way, reserving the violence and overt threats for Sylvester, who would only ever respond to such things, and otherwise playing on Felix's empathy. She was able to quickly read them both and adapt what she says and does to get them to do exactly what she wants. It's important to remember that Maeve was superhumanly intelligent and capable even before they boosted her intellect further. Felix noted that she was like a human in every way except that her brain works much more quickly, and that she can be controlled. When she can't be controlled so easily, what's left is that she's vastly more capable than any human, thinking several steps ahead without effort. Is it such a surprise that two relatively regular Joes are like putty in her hands?

I am guessing the two moon suit guys are the two technicians she has under her finger.

]i donno at least TWD doesnt insult with trying to be more clever than it really is[/B]

How is the show trying to be more clever than it really is? Seems like its more of a case of people making up a lot of fan theories, determining which one SHOULD be canon, and then complaining when they didn't "figure out" the show.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

That's what I'm getting from her storyline as well. She has been traveling alone in the present, retracing the trip that she had with William. In William's story when she flashes back, she's flashing back to the test days of the park. So you got three timelines going on there now

Corpekata

Banned

What about the season finale cliffhanger? Or fucking Glenn under the dumpster? That show is way worse in that regard.

Christ didn't they even remove Steven Yeun's name from the credits during that story? LOL.

Top Bottom