• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Are You Favourite Video Game Podcasts?

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Video game podcasts have been around since 2005 so what have been your favourites? From podcasts that are no longer around, to current gaming podcasts, to even your favourite era of a podcast? (eg when Luke Smith was on 1UPYours or the Bombcast when Ryan was alive).

Kinda funny
Gross

I find GameScoop pretty entertaining. I like Colin Moriarty a lot, but that other guy he teamed up with is annoying and thry drag their show out way too long.

I listen to SpawnCast sometimes as well.

I also listened to a lot of Fireside Chat being a big From Software fan.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
Are there any? Incessant babbling about uninteresting things, that's most of the gaming podcasts are about. Interviews are shit almost all the time. The questioner can't form a relevant question, just shooting fillers. oooh you are that famous developer, now I must go on all fours and lick your arse...

drganon

Sacred symbols
Retronauts
Big Think Dimension

I used to like the bombcast, but it's gone to complete shit.

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Talk About Games

That might be the only one I watch/listen to these days. I like how they usually cover one retro game and one newer game each show.

TheSweeper

Xbox Two is pretty much the only one I listen to every week.

Sometimes I listen to an episode of Kinda Funny XCast but I find the main host extremely annoying and can only stand him in small doses.

The Digital Foundry podcast is also pretty good but I only listen to if if the topics interest me.

Last edited:

kether

Neo Member
Early on it was IGN's Beyond! podcast. Then when Colin and Greg left, I followed them to Kinda Funny. When the shit show went down about the joke I left Kinda Funny and went to CLS/Sacred Symbols. I enjoyed both Greg and Colin together, sucks what happened but oh well. Just glad Colin went back to gaming, Sacred Symbols is fantastic.

Reactions: K2D

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Still find myself listening to GB purely for Gerstmann and Easy Allies despite them losing Jones.

Not entirely sure why, it's just background while I cook and clean each day.

Reactions: K2D

Soodanim

Are there any? Incessant babbling about uninteresting things, that's most of the gaming podcasts are about. Interviews are shit almost all the time. The questioner can't form a relevant question, just shooting fillers. oooh you are that famous developer, now I must go on all fours and lick your arse...
This. I dropped all gaming podcasts.

I used to like Watch Out For Fireballs, which picked one game per episode (usually older) and talked about it, but I finished everything good and I didn’t like it enough to become a Patron - that’s how they deliver the reviews of bigger games now. They also talked nonsense in one or two of their reviews.

But all of the normal gaming podcasts I’ve listened to where they talk about news and whatnot are filler content heavy, because there’s very little to say on a weekly basis. “Here’s a rumour, blah blah.” Forums give all that info and more.

I've been bouncing from podcast to podcast lately trying to find the right one. This might be an unpopular opinion here but, I do however, miss the days of the beastcast when Austin Walker used to share his video game experiences with the crew. The way he could literally pick up a new rpg and then start storytelling about his experience just gave a unique feeling, like you were listening to a traveler recall his grand adventures while sitting at a campfire.
For some reason no other crew member gave this feeling because they spoke of video games like how everyone else does: describe the gameplay, describe the story, describe the graphics, describe the impact, rinse and repeat.
Austin would instead paint a picture with his words and because of that he actually helped me to discover a few hidden gems. To me that's a rare skill to have on a video game podcast.

Last edited:
I used to really like Rebel Fm, but went off them in a number of years ago. I haven't listened to a single episode since, and don't know if Arthur and Anthony are still involved.

There was another podcast that I used to listen to, but the website was taken offline. I cant remember what it was called, but it wasn't 1UP.

Kev Kev

i didnt search a whole lot but video game outsides is the only i found that isnt full of danger hair woketards. they arent great but it itches the scatch to listen to nerds talk about games.

honestly, ive said it before but there is a serious lack of actual talent in the video game podcast world. i think its mostly bc its nerds who arent funny, cool or particularly interesting. its just people who were in the right place at the right time when podcasting took off and they capitalized.

but i havent found a gaming podcast that has high production value, great content and genuinely talented, funny or interesting hosts. i keep thinking maybe ill be that guy lmao, but the market is so saturated with mediocrity that gamers have just accepted that to be where the bar is set.

smh. its annoying tbqh. listen to any other radio show or professional level podcast and youll find all of those things. but not gaming podcasts lol. they are bottom of the barrel and im just waiting for one to actually impress me.

the market is so saturated with mediocrity that gamers have just accepted that to be where the bar is set.

That's kind of what I think about game shops to be honest. The "big game retailers" are sooooooo run of the mill.

A Life Well Wasted used to be a pretty good podcast. I particularly liked the episode on EGM and Big Ideas.

Video game podcasts have been around since 2005 so what have been your favourites? From podcasts that are no longer around, to current gaming podcasts, to even your favourite era of a podcast? (eg when Luke Smith was on 1UPYours or the Bombcast when Ryan was alive).
I never did like Bombcast.

As stated earlier, I used to listen to Rebel FM religiously. I also listened to Idle Thumbs and Gamers With Jobs on occasion.

I don't think I've listened to a gaming podcast for nearly a decade. I think I just fell out with games/podcasts in general.

Seeing this topic made me think of Rebel FM. I used to really love that podcast in its early days, although haven't listened to any episodes for around 10 years.

Decided to download and listen to part of the new episode and I'm somewhat (pleasantly) surprised to learn that Arthur, Anthony, and Matt are still together. They're almost like family at this point.

xrnzaaas

Anyone have any new recommendations since the thread was last updated? My preferences would be:
- gaming focused (can be about new games or retro content) or some tvshow/movie/popculture stuff but without focusing on one particular theme
- episodes typically lasting 1 hour or less (I hate 2-3 hour podcasts and I never finish them like with what ACG is doing)
- non-woke (doesn't have to be anti-woke obviously)

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Many of them no longer exist.

Games For Windows Live
Retronauts
Old Bombcast
The Resident Evil Podcast (formerly known as The Project Umbrella Podcast)
++Good Games Podcast

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
a80ce51cb2e116844d534b0df2702e62276cbd34

New episodes come out pretty infrequently. The host is a psychologist who has some educated guests come on to talk about bigger questions surrounding games. It's not a news podcast but I'd recommend people scroll through and listen to whatever topic interest you.

https://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp3/api.spreaker.com/download/episode/51281375/fandom.mp3

PS: I still like davidjaffe davidjaffe Gabbin + Games podcast when he gets around to updating the feed. Come on Jaffe!

Last edited:

panchos

Neo Member
Simon Parkin, who writes about games for the New Yorker and a bunch of other places recently launched a new podcast in which he invites a guest to pick the five video games they would like to install in their own fictional 'Mini' console. The first episode was with the Wordle guy, and he's also had Ashly Burch (who plays Aloy in Horizon, and stars in Mythic Quest) and the Irish comedian Dara O Briain on. Episodes are well-produced and not too long - worth your time:

Resonant Arc
In-depth video essays and podcasts on the techniques of good storytelling in games.
The only podcast that I always listen to. Mike and Casen are so good. They take the time to go deep with specific parts or dialogues or symbols in a game. They can discuss profound things and also be really funny. They can poke fun at a game's silly elements without mocking it ad nauseaum. Highly recommended!

Go_Ly_Dow

The only podcast that I always listen to. Mike and Casen are so good. They take the time to go deep with specific parts or dialogues or symbols in a game. They can discuss profound things and also be really funny. They can poke fun at a game's silly elements without mocking it ad nauseaum. Highly recommended!
100% - they deserve way more listeners!

Top Bottom