• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you looking forward the most and why? Xenoblade X or FFXV?

gogogow

One series just had a critically acclaimed 10/10 type game, the other just had a shit show trilogy. I wonder which one I'm looking forward to.

I don't care about metacritic at all, but after reading your comment I checked out Xenoblade and the FFXIII trilogy.

Xenoblade is at 92. Damn, while it's one of my fave games of all time, I didn't expect it the metacritic score to be so high. With FFXIII it's getting lower and lower scores after FFXIII 83, FXIII-2, 79 and FFXIII-3 at 66. Kinda sad what the team did to the series.

Talax

FFXV definitely.

I absolutely loved Xenoblade on Wii but for some reason I'm not feeling the same vibe from X. It's gonna be good obviously, no doubt about that but I feel like we may be setting expectations too high based on the previous games. Not to mention I don't plan on buying a WiiU until they move on to the next console or an emulator is made (not likely I know). Only getting the Ps4 this gen.

I wonder what's your train of thought behind a statement like that, nothing shown of FFXV looks revolutionary apart from the pretty graphics.

It looks exactly what I want from an AAA game. Stunning graphics, amazing CGI visuals, great art style with a nice blend of modern and fantasy setting, great looking action oriented gameplay as expected from Tabata and Nomura(and though I want a future FF to go back to turn based battle system, those 2 cinematic rpg heads are the few people left at SE to bring back FF). It's so well presented and highly salable to me. The little we know from the story already sounds 100x better than the whole XIII saga.

FFXV_Accordo.jpg

blwvuj.png

2San

I don't have a Wii U, so it's hard getting hyped about Xenoblade X. With Final Fantasy XV I don't have much faith in the development. I'm still not convinced we have seen actual working gameplay.

I have more faith in Xenoblade X, after the FFXIII 'saga' I no longer believe that S-E is capable of making a good console RPG.

Hedja

Final Fantasy has been disappointed me since FFX so I don't have high hopes for FFXV. It looks like a "cinematic experience" more than anything from the current trailers.

I loved Xenoblade Chronicles despite many of its flaws and while I still saw a lot of those flaws remaining in X's E3 gameplay footage, I still have hopes for it deliver in what XC did. Great exploration/atmosphere, fun dialogue and a near-perfect soundtrack. Though, having Hiroyuki "Sounds-the-Same" Sawano as the sole composer compared to XC's collaborative effort worries me.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Why do people keep insisting that FFXV won't be released any time soon? Is the March 2015 date just a rumor?

What? The earliest anyone should expect FF XV is late winter 2015 in Japan and a spring 2016 release in the west. That's assuming that the game is almost done!

KidB

Xenoblade X, from what we've seen seems to build upon everything that made its predecessor so great. The exploration seems to be even better, the environments look great and the battle system looks more refined and as functional as the last game's.

On the other hand FFXV looks like a dark and gritty Kingdom Hearts clone, which seems to have way too many scripted sequences, at least considering that the last trailer is representative of the final product. The premise of the story is interesting though.

Finally, I know that Xenoblade X will actually be released!

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Xenoblade X by far. I'm actually playing through Chronicles right now and I've been finding it very hard to put my controller down and walk away from this game.

FFXIII and its unnecessary sequels went above and beyond in killing any hype I might ever hold for a Final Fantasy game again. Bravely Second however is a game that I'm fairly excited for!

Is this really a contest? I mean, Xenoblade was widely acclaimed as one of the best RPGs of its generation, while Square Enix haven't internally developed a good game since, what, the PS2 era?!

Zalman

Xenoblade is much better than current Final Fantasy. I have faith that Monolith will deliver an amazing game.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Is this really a contest? I mean, Xenoblade was widely acclaimed as one of the best RPGs of its generation, while Square Enix haven't internally developed a good game since, what, the PS2 era?!

I honestly don't care much about whether it's internally developed or externally which means SE is okish in my books.

Hell TWEWY being so good is why I still retain some faith in KH 3 and Versus.

Mlatador

Banned
From what I've seen of both, I think Xenoblade X is gonna end up the much better game. I have no faith in Versus XIII - I mean FFXV at all. The game's development has been a freakin' mess that's been going on for too many years (8) already and they still don't have much to show...

Xenoblade X, on the other hand, has had an amazing E3 Nintendo Threehouse Live showing and is gonna come out next year for sure, so...

Persona 5 2015.
Xenoblade X 2015
FFXV Lates 2015 (JP only)/2016

That's certainly... optimistic. If they're planning to release it next year, they should have a playable build by now. Or at least, you know, talk about it. They've already let the cat out of the bag twice with this game, so the only way to get people hyped again would be to play their development with open cards. I think the problem is that they're not in a place where they can be doing that, which means that I doubt they're anywhere near ready for release. It sits in the same boat as TLG at the moment (if not for the fact that we've actually seen signs of life recently).

Bazztek

Banned
XV.

Looks and sounds better in art direction, gameplay, music, narrative, character design, monster design, world design, setting, scope, etc

Not that XCX doesn't look good, XV just looks better.

Okay so I never really explained my decision but a short summary on why I'm looking forward to FFXV far more than X.

From hearing and looking over all thats been said by Nomura and shown by SE FFXV really feels like the dream jrpg. Open world like 2d FF's, crazy summons and enemy design, great characters, enthralling story from what little we have heard, music composed by Yoko, insanely dynamic battle system (having fights on the sides of skyscrapers 0_0), love the art direction's mix between scifi, reality and fantasy and of course HD towns :)

iwBkWdbIJKcmo.gif

No other game can match the scope and ambition that FFXV has going for it. My only problem is that a lot has been said/promised but not shown in detail hence right now Persona 5 is more anticipated.

I've been crazy excited by the premise of this games since 2010 (after that TGS trailer/1st department trailer iirc) and if all promises are kept and what they say is really how it plays then my god this will go down in history as one of the all time greats. A big IF but that really sums up FFXV if you ask me. It has more potential than any other Japanese rpg......whether it will reach such heights is up to SE and the talented team working on it and believing it could is up to you.

HIR0

Xenoblade X.
It looks incredible.
Shibuya Fantasy XV has probably lowered it's own hype with it's lengthy development time but I very much look forward to playing it :)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That's certainly... optimistic. If they're planning to release it next year, they should have a playable build by now. Or at least, you know, talk about it. They've already let the cat out of the bag twice with this game, so the only way to get people hyped again would be to play their development with open cards. I think the problem is that they're not in a place where they can be doing that, which means that I doubt they're anywhere near ready for release. It sits in the same boat as TLG at the moment (if not for the fact that we've actually seen signs of life recently).

Late 2015 is the earliest possible date in my mind if they've actually been working hard on this for a few years and considering mainline ff games have about a year's hype cycle if we don't see anything this December in Japan then you can forget about seeing it at all next year.

March 2015 rumor is crazy talk. That's only six months away and we'd be knee deep in Nom-chan nonsense, with a song or two, dozens of pages of gifs.

Zankou

Xenoblade Chronicles X.

I'm not a huge Final Fantasy fan and what I've seen so far from XV wasn't really attractive to me.

Go_Ly_Dow

More interesting question would be....

If you could have just one right now in your hands which one?

Xenoblde X
Final Fantasy XV
Persona 5

I guess in terms of media we have on the games it would go Final Fantasy XV/Xenoblade X > Persona 5. Although I expect by the end of the month that may change drastically.

Poll dat shit.

Jisgsaw

I more or less already know what Xenoblade X will give me.
I have no idea what FF15 will bring, so I atually look forward
to gameplay trailers
to FF15 more than Xenblade.

P5 is the real thing I want in 2015 though.

Not necessarily. The common way for mainline JRPG marketing is that the marketing begins a one year-ish hype cycle prior to launch.

FFXIII, for example, started its major marketing shift, if I'm not wrong, around Jump Festa 2008 (December 2008), and then went on what is basically an almost monthly marketing bombardment of reveals after reveals ( characters, summons, etc ) all the way till launch.

Jump Festa 2014 is pretty much FFXV's last chance to make an appearance if it wants to launch in 2015. If it skips Jump Festa, then we can forget about a 2015 launch.

Flakster99

I have high hopes for both, however I am looking forward to and I am much more excited for Xenoblade Chronicles X, by far.

Simply put, the game will be coming out sooner, much sooner. It's predecessor Xenoblade Chronicles was one heck of a surprise and breath of fresh air and from what I have seen thus far this sequel is bigger, better in almost every conceivable way. Looks epic and fucking awesome.

FF XV has been a running joke for a number of years due to mismanagement and the game having it's priorities fucked up. Not that it is a bad thing, but the game does not look like a Final Fantasy game to me and it will have to prove itself. Years and years of expectations and FF XIII being complete shit will do that.

RPGCrazied

Xenoblade X, only for the fact it'll be out first. And if its anything like the first game, expect mind to be blown. That said I do want to play FF XV at some point, whenever they get around to releasing it.

ugoo18

Xenoblade X of course.

That world is just begging to be explored and it's more or less guaranteed to be good. XV on the other hand still needs to convince that it will release this gen let alone be good.

Not necessarily. The common way for mainline JRPG marketing is that the marketing begins a one year-ish hype cycle prior to launch.

FFXIII, for example, started its major marketing shift, if I'm not wrong, around Jump Festa 2008 (December 2008), and then went on what is basically an almost monthly marketing bombardment of reveals after reveals ( characters, summons, etc ) all the way till launch.

Jump Festa 2014 is pretty much FFXV's last chance to make an appearance if it wants to launch in 2015. If it skips Jump Festa, then we can forget about a 2015 launch.

I'd say XV would warrant an exception, given that they started the hype cycle almost a decade ago :p. Didn't Nomura promise updates at every major gaming event following last year's E3? I might be wrong.

While people may disagree, I thought the following games (internally developed) were good... =(

Dissidia
KH : Birth by Sleep
FF : Crisis Core
FF : Type-0
DQX

And FFXIV is great.

TDLink

Okay so I never really explained my decision but a short summary on why I'm looking forward to FFXV far more than X.

From hearing and looking over all thats been said by Nomura and shown by SE FFXV really feels like the dream jrpg. Open world like 2d FF's, crazy summons and enemy design, great characters, enthralling story from what little we have heard, music composed by Yoko, insanely dynamic battle system (having fights on the sides of skyscrapers 0_0), love the art direction's mix between scifi, reality and fantasy and of course HD towns :)

iwBkWdbIJKcmo.gif

No other game can match the scope and ambition that FFXV has going for it. My only problem is that a lot has been said/promised but not shown in detail hence right now Persona 5 is more anticipated.

I've been crazy excited by the premise of this games since 2010 (after that TGS trailer/1st department trailer iirc) and if all promises are kept and what they say is really how it plays then my god this will go down in history as one of the all time greats. A big IF but that really sums up FFXV if you ask me. It has more potential than any other Japanese rpg......whether it will reach such heights is up to SE and the talented team working on it and believing it could is up to you.

Very little in the footage we've been shown indicates that FF XV will actually be open world. It honestly looks completely linear in most areas that we have been shown. It's also not truly known if we were looking at real gameplay or target renders.

Xenoblade X actually looks completely open world, and we know that Monolith knows what they're doing in that regard from the Wii Xenoblade. It is clearly actual gameplay and also clearly not linear.

I'd say XV would warrant an exception, given that they started the hype cycle almost a decade ago :p. Didn't Nomura promise updates at every major gaming event following last year's E3? I might be wrong.

I disagree. It's exactly because XV had a bad legacy attached to its 're-announcements' that it should not be allowed to reappear until that exact point of 'one-year-before-launch-marketing-cycle.

Xenoblade X, I will tell you about FFXV if gets atleast a release date. This game was announced 2006. Fools just being strung along by this one again. Besides I hope KH3 releases before FFXV :p Atleast KH will be a bit openworld too XV looked super linear in the e3 2013 trailer. Nothing looked like it was open world.

Seeing as how Xenoblade is my favorite jrpg of all time and the fact that Xenoblade X looks like will be playable next year I'd say Xenoblade X. Square Enix' radio silence concerning FFXV is very unnerving. I don't expect the game before 2016 at the earliest.

jonno394

It's a toughie. Versus XIII was my most wanted title on the ps3 due to the action rpg style (I loved crisis core so was going for something that played similarly). From the trailers and snippets of gameplay i think XV looks great. Will it be released by end of 2015 though? Who knows.

xenoblade is a title I can say is in my top ten videogame list so the sequel for that is something I need. Game looks like a worthy successor and I look forward to exploring another massive world.

It's likely both games won't release around the same time and as xenoblade is up first i more excited for it but in honesty, both games are high on the anticipation list.

Xenoblade X, because it's an actual game that has shown gameplay and features while the other has only shown fan service and vague empty promises.

Top Bottom