• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you looking forward the most and why? Xenoblade X or FFXV?

TDLink

Xenoblades gameplay is about as engaging as World of Warcraft so FF XV no contest.

It is definitely slower than a full action battle system, but in X they're adding the guns which you can use whenever and the Mechs. I think it's going to be more exciting even for people who had those complaints with the Wii Xenoblade.

sublimit

Banned
just started xenoblade on dolphin. man that game looks like ass, worse than some ps2 games.

d1zxa.gif

Very little in the footage we've been shown indicates that FF XV will actually be open world. It honestly looks completely linear in most areas that we have been shown. It's also not truly known if we were looking at real gameplay or target renders.

All the footage we've seen of FFXV so far are in the city, during a large-scale story battle/war. It's the equivalent of FFVIII's Garden War, or FFIX's Bahamut/Alexander moment etc, which are all combat set-pieces.

It's linear in the same way a scripted story section of any Final Fantasy game is linear. You're in the 'event'. It's not remotely comparable to Monolith's reveals where the focus is on the world map and the traversal.

You're right that everything we've seen so far looks linear, but that was no different in older FF games either for the same kind of events.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, I forgot about Crisis Core.

I hope everybody who worked on that game stays away from FFXV, because that game was super boring to play. I've never played a Kingdom Hearts game so I don't really know what to expect if XV is anything like that, but if it's similar to Crisis Core... interest in XV deflating.

inner-G

Banned
Xenoblade X

The FF battle systems have taken a nosedive after X imo, and I don't want the amount of action and speed XV looks like it has.

Personally, I can't wait to play Xenoblade X, the first one is the best RPG I've played in almost a decade. Final Fantasy XIII was a huge letdown and caused me to lose quite a bit of faith in SquareEnix and haven't played a FF game since. If they release one that everyone goes crazy for, then maybe, but I think they've lost the script.

TDLink

All the footage we've seen of FFXV so far are in the city, during a large-scale story battle/war. It's the equivalent of FFVIII's Garden War, or FFIX's Bahamut/Alexander moment etc, which are all combat set-pieces.

It's linear in the same way a scripted story section of any Final Fantasy game is linear. You're in the 'event'. It's not remotely comparable to Monolith's reveals where the focus is on the world map and the traversal.

You're right that everything we've seen so far looks linear, but that was no different in older FF games either for the same kind of events.

Yes, and that's my point. There's no real evidence that the game is going to be open world at all. If he's excited about the game because of the prospect of it being open world...well that is exactly what Xenoblade is offering.

gadwn

FFXV. Because Tetsuya Nomura is great and it actually comes out on good hardware. Now.. if they only would show something from the game... Please release late next year!

I love hard Sci-Fi, giant robots, large environments and Monolith Soft is my favorite JRPG developer.

So of course Xenoblade Chronicles X.

This game looks like it's going to allow me to explore a huge world in a way not seen before by allowing the real-time piloting of mechs. Exploring the same large environment at two such distinct scales is incredibly exciting and unique among games.

I also love when alien worlds have unique and truly alien creatures like in the Metroid games. I prefer that to generic monsters in most RPG's.

Finally I don't look forward to the whole teenage angst thing I can see in both FF and especially Persona 5. I'm sure there'll be anime angst in Xenoblade X but nowhere near the levels in the two former games.

kevm3

Xenoblade. I don't care for Nomura's boyband designs, and I really don't care for much of what Square releases nowadays. They are a far cry from when they were my favorite company.

Very little in the footage we've been shown indicates that FF XV will actually be open world. It honestly looks completely linear in most areas that we have been shown. It's also not truly known if we were looking at real gameplay or target renders.

Xenoblade X actually looks completely open world, and we know that Monolith knows what they're doing in that regard from the Wii Xenoblade. It is clearly actual gameplay and also clearly not linear.

Err no

Some open areas we have seen:

ibc6kMRTtDVa7p.gif

1380438369-versus-gas-station.gif

What we know:

Regarding the fields, it's not a completely open world. It's like the 2D FF games but in 3D. Players will find a big world map with vast fields where they will be able to explore as far as the eye can reach except the mountains. Terrain diversity is much more detailed and vast than in Final Fantasy XV. Nomura says that the game will probably have more natural landscapes than Final Fantasy XIII does.

It’s possible to fly airships over the world just like in older Final Fantasy titles. You'll be able to drive a car, ride mechs, tanks and Chocobos as well.

Kensuke

Xenoblade was my favorite JRPG of the PS3/360/Wii generation. So I'm definitely really looking forward to X. Still, there are some aspects that have me worried. First of all, I dislike custom silent characters. I think they're boring. They did good with Shulk, so this was a disappointing decision. The other characters they've shown so far also looked fairly generic to be honest. The less fantasy like environments may also be a step down. Lastly, the core gameplay looks about the same. I don't know if I can take another 100 hours of that.

Compared to all that FFXV looks a bit more fresh and exciting. We'll see (...in 2016 probably).

Finally I don't look forward to the whole teenage angst thing I can see in both FF and especially Persona 5. I'm sure there'll be anime angst in Xenoblade X but nowhere near the levels in the two former games.

My advise to that kind of assumptions is don't assume, hope, but be ready for it.

It was mild in Xenoblade, but Xenosaga had teenage angst in the buckets. And adults doing stupid shit.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
And I know some people don't like it because they hate FPS overpopulation or whatever, but I really enjoyed seeing all the gun based characters they've shown in Xenoblade. It's kind of cool to see what looks like ordinary soldiers as a party instead of plucky teens like the original.

TDLink

Err no

ibc6kMRTtDVa7p.gif

What we know:

Yeah, I remember those areas. That's why I said very little. That would be the very little. Between how they look and what has been said about it (including what you just quoted) these seem more like "open areas" than "open world".

I'm honestly not expecting it to be much different from Kingdom Hearts in terms of map design. Slightly bigger probably, but same idea.

Err no

ibc6kMRTtDVa7p.gif

What we know:
Honestly the game dont even look like that anymore.. and this..

Regarding the fields, it's not a completely open world. It's like the 2D FF games but in 3D. Players will find a big world map with vast fields where they will be able to explore as far as the eye can reach except the mountains. Terrain diversity is much more detailed and vast than in Final Fantasy XV. Nomura says that the game will probably have more natural landscapes than Final Fantasy XIII does.
Smh..

Yeah, I remember those areas. That's why I said very little. That would be the very little. Between how they look and what has been said about it (including what you just quoted) these seem more like "open areas" than "open world".

I'm honestly not expecting it to be much different from Kingdom Hearts in terms of map design. Slightly bigger probably, but same idea.

I just told you how it is lol

Regarding the fields, it's not a completely open world. It's like the 2D FF games but in 3D.

How big are the area sizes is something that we don't really know yet in detail.

Honestly the game dont even look like that anymore.. and this..

Do you know something we don't?

trixx

More hyped for kingdom hearts than final fantasy but I still need to see more.

Haven't played xenoblade before but I'll get X. FF looks good though.

Dark_castle

We need to see more, but I'm thinking it won't be any similar to Kingdom Hearts series in terms of map design. If anything, it'll be more in line with title like Dragon Quest VIII, but with fully seamless between town/field/dungeon and is more interactive (Nomura said objects are destructible in both town and field area). Basically PSX era world map re-imagined, with airship and all that.

Darius

Banned
SquareEnix has a very bad track record and lost a lot of talent. I actually like the FF series but since FFIX it went downhill pretty fast, the only good one was FF12 due to Matsunos involvement and even this one has a somewhat disappointing second half, likely because Matsuno left SQEX before its completion.

About FFXV in particular, the only positive right now are its visuals and even this is somewhat tarnished due to the very unappealing cast, we have "Sasuke" and his girly-boyband. The supposed gameplay looks more like a scripted sequence than actual gameplay. While I actually liked Nomuras designs from the PS1 and early PS2 era, I don´t think he is an actual good director. Or most of Sqex for that matter, I´m not only refering to the most current FF13 trilogy but the trainwreck already began with doing a miserable job with the FF7 revival, starting with Dirge of Cerberus, the horrible Advent Children Movie and Crisis Core FF7.

Xilium

Wasn't really a fan of the first game so I'm not looking forward to Xenoblade X. It's also unlikely I'll be getting a Wii U this generation so it would be XV by default. I am looking forward to XV though, I just don't know when it's actually going to come out. I guess I'm more hyped for Persona 5 atm.

pixlexic

Banned
Xenoblade by far. X is what FF should have become after 12.

A move to a huge explorable world with mmo like fighting system based on stats.

I am really not sure what to expect from ff15 on any front at this point besides its going to have long cutscenes.

TDLink

I just told you how it is lol

How big are the area sizes is something that we don't really know yet in detail.

Do you know something we don't?

We need to see more, but I'm thinking it won't be any similar to Kingdom Hearts series in terms of map design. If anything, it'll be more in line with title like Dragon Quest VIII, but with fully seamless between town/field/dungeon and is more interactive (Nomura said objects are destructible in both town and field area). Basically PSX era world map re-imagined, with airship and all that.

Ah I get it now. I misread the comment slightly. So basically they are open areas that are more or less linear (mountains enclose you to specific areas) but later on you can get airships and cross the mountains and land wherever. That sounds pretty good.

The thing is Xenoblade you can fly over stuff too with Mechs and actually traverse wherever you want, without being constrained. So in terms of open world exploration Xenoblade seems like it will have the edge.

That said, it's still going to be cool to have that PSX style map again in a FF...overall I just think Xenoblade is more of a real product at this point.

I disagree. It's exactly because XV had a bad legacy attached to its 're-announcements' that it should not be allowed to reappear until that exact point of 'one-year-before-launch-marketing-cycle.

You have a point, but that almost begs the question as to why they decided to re-announce it if they weren't going to start hyping it from there. The only reason I can think of is that Sony handily paid them to do so, because I can't see it doing them any favours at this point.

Darius

Banned
Persona 5 > Type-0 > FFXV.

I don't care about Xenoblade as I'm not buying Wii U anyway.

Persona 3 and 4 are overhyped corridor-RPGs with cringe worthy dating-sim aspects, it seems that the only reason they are so overhyped is because they have been Sony exclusives so far. I really don´t share the optimism for a mediocre and decent at best series.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
After the last few FF games you would have to be truly deranged to think XV will be anything other than a complete disaster.

soul

S-E will never release FFXV, it's time we all realize it.

for fucks sake Square, I want to play FFXV ever since it was announced years ago in a different name

Parley

Banned
Both, XCX looks good and I hope for some minor evolution. I will be happy.

FF XV because the company needs a comeback and everybody loves a comeback.

Skilletor

FF15

Didn't care for Xenoblade and all of the generic sidequests. Not exactly looking forward to a similar game on a bigger scale.

FF15 because I love the Kingdom Hearts series. Don't know if I'm looking forward to the gameplay or an all new Shimomura soundtrack more.

Dark_castle

Ah I get it now. I misread the comment slightly. So basically they are open areas that are more or less linear (mountains enclose you to specific areas) but later on you can get airships and cross the mountains and land wherever. That sounds pretty good.

The thing is Xenoblade you can fly over stuff too with Mechs and actually traverse wherever you want, without being constrained. So in terms of open world exploration Xenoblade seems like it will have the edge.

That said, it's still going to be cool to have that PSX style map again in a FF...overall I just think Xenoblade is more of a real product at this point.

Well, nobody among us really knows how it's like, but given that we've seen some serious air traversal via Noctis's warp (and Nomura mentioned they'll be longer warp which we haven't seen yet), I have a feeling FFXV's room for exploration is still going to be pretty big. Not Xenoblade big, but still decent in scope.

After playing 12 and having quite a bit to say against it, I'd say I have far more faith in Monolith to perform than I have for Square during the last 2 gens. I also saw what I needed to see in X to get a feel for where it was going within the first year, I've yet to see enough of 15 that shows me it's worth either system it's coming out for.

Wondering though why so many are praising what the combat looks like in 15 as something that will blow them away, do any of you remember what happened with the combat in 13 since the first video that was shown of it? It was completely different by the time the game released, how does anyone believe they couldn't just as easily do the same for 15 especially when they have shown so little even after 8 years?

rjinaz

XenobladeX. Xenoblade was my favorite game of the last generation. Everything I have seen about this new game I like.

I am looking forward to FFXV as well though, but until we have an idea as to when the game will release, I can't get excited. I'm confident it won't be next year. The're not even showing it anymore at this point, unlike XenobladeX, which we got to see the game actually demoed.

rjc571

Banned
What a tough question. The sequel to one of the best JRPGs ever, or a game that was announced a decade ago and still has nothing to show? I'll take Xenoblade over Duke Nukem Forever Final Fantasy XV, thanks.

Slixshot

Banned
I'm fairly sure xenoblade is my favorite game of all time, so XENOBLADE!

working through the game now and as long as the next 20 hours were as great as the first 30, it's number 1

Top Bottom