• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you looking forward the most and why? Xenoblade X or FFXV?

Jarsonot

Xenoblade is mysterious and exciting and new to me. I loved the first one and am really looking forward to the sequel.

I will check out some reviews of final fantasy when it comes out, but it doesn't have the allure of xenoblade for me.

Maybe it's because I've been let down by final fantasy before, but haven't been let down by xenoblade yet.

kunonabi

We had more info about Xenoblade Chronicle X so it's unfair.
Plus Final z isn't automatically considered a good game since FF XIII sadly :/

It's perfectly fair as square-enix has had more than enough time to give us info on XV. The fact that we know more about X with its far more recent unveiling and Nintendo's M.O. on releasing info is ridiculous.

Xenoblade for me. Final fantasy: kingdom hearts edition doesn't appeal to even if I do like the of the look of the world and characters so far. Xenoblade has mechs and classes which has me really excited. Fix the sidequests and it could be something really special.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Xenoblade X as I am enjoying my time with Xenoblade Chronicles plus I don't know much about Final Fantasy XV other than the fact that it originally had a different name and had a long development time.

usually games stuck in development hell for a decade turn out to be really good right

Ask the people who play Duke Nukem Forever.

Phatcorns

Came in to post that I'm more excited for X for the simple fact it will actually be released. I think FFXV looks amazing and I love the direction they're going with it, but I've given up on it. It's like pining after some girl you will never get.

eXistor

Xenoblade X looks to be more of the same that Xenoblade 1 delivered, only better. This is a good thing, Xenoblade 1 was far from perfect (too long, got very repetitive near the end, shit sidequests), but I'm assuming (for now) that these are widely known issues that they'll have solved for the sequel. Xenoblade was still one of the best Jrpg's in years, it felt fresh and innovative withour losing the core attraction of the classics in the genre.

From what little we've seen of FFXV, it looks to be the same type of game, but then again, SE haven't made a great rpg in years and while I commend them for trying new things, usually they fall flat on their face trying. They also have notoriously shit stories and characters.

Obviously FFXV could prove me wrong and I hope it does (quite a few FF's are some all-time favorites of mine), but as of now my vote of confidence goes to Xenoblade X.

FFXV.
I love Xenoblade but the setting, battle system and the whole "fantasy based on reality" it's like a dream come true, and i fully trust Nomura.

And to be honest, the whole "ride a gundam wing" doesn't excite me at all :/

Err no

Some open areas we have seen:

ibc6kMRTtDVa7p.gif

1380438369-versus-gas-station.gif

What we know:

Do we even know this to be true anymore? If I recall these shots were shown back when it was Versus XIII years ago.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Neither really, but FFXV by default as I won't rebuy a Wii U.

Has it really been 8 years since Final Fantasy Versus was announced? I remember back when that and The Last Guardian were going to make the PS3 win.

I'm looking forward to Xenoblade more. I loved the first Xenoblade and want more whereas the last Final Fantasy I played was 13-2 and I didn't bother finishing it. I didn't want to get into 13-2, and 14 is an MMO that was so bad at launch that they called a mulligan and redid it after people already bought it. So I don't have high hopes for FF15. Plus I have no intention of picking up a PS4 any time soon

You have a point, but that almost begs the question as to why they decided to re-announce it if they weren't going to start hyping it from there. The only reason I can think of is that Sony handily paid them to do so, because I can't see it doing them any favours at this point.

Dunno.

Have a few theories though.

1. Sony paid them. ( doesn't feel like it makes sense though. KH3 I can understand, but FFXV's annoucement trailers are a shit-ton of work, even for a vertical slice/target render)

2. Nomura/SE over-estimated their ability to complete the game. ( Dev hell, schedules being missed, getting delayed beyond their internal calendar, etc )

3. The content of the game is on-track, but the systems within the game isn't matching the target render reveal at E3. ( as in the actual combat system in the game isn't remotely as awesome as what they showed at E3 )

My personal suspicion ( and hope ) is that it's no.3. I feel like it would make the most sense as well. After FFXIV ( and the complete rebuilding of the game ), I'm a lot more confident in SE's ability to build the assets needed for a large-ass RPG within 2-3 years.

But we've seen time and time again that they tend to go a little over the top when it comes to "Here's how we want our battle system to look!" type of target renders.

It's hard to deny that Nomura is painting an extremely high ambition for FFXV's combat system.( highly vertical/horizontal action combat with teleportation, multi-weapon type/wheel, dynamic team members, real time combat set-pieces, etc) and frankly, I kinda don't expect Nomura to be able to deliver 100% of all the above.

Apenheul

MonolithSoft proved with Xenoblade on Wii that they are very ambitious when it comes to scope and content and I'm expecting them to improve in many areas. I expect FFXV to look much better graphically and to have better characters but to be worse than Xenoblade Chronicles X in all the other areas.

Hugstable

Banned
Xenoblade. I feel like Final Fantasy XV is gonna be the same and be delayed and delayed and delayed. Also I dont think it'll live up to the amount of ridiculous hype that was built up for a single game.

aravuus

Xenoblade, but only because I'm pretty sure I'll be able to play it in a few years. As a game FF XV appeals to me far more, and I really like Nomura's stuff, but after all these years it's really hard to get excited about it.

Ah I get it now. I misread the comment slightly. So basically they are open areas that are more or less linear (mountains enclose you to specific areas) but later on you can get airships and cross the mountains and land wherever. That sounds pretty good.

The thing is Xenoblade you can fly over stuff too with Mechs and actually traverse wherever you want, without being constrained. So in terms of open world exploration Xenoblade seems like it will have the edge.

That said, it's still going to be cool to have that PSX style map again in a FF...overall I just think Xenoblade is more of a real product at this point.

Being open world doesn't suddenly lead to a better game. I would rather have a world with lots of things to do and meaningful places to explore than a massive open world with sparse locations and activities.

I hope both games are like the former.

Im going off the latest trailer.. that stuff is like 6-7 years old aint it?

Try 3-4 years and its the same game.

Do we even know this to be true anymore? If I recall these shots were shown back when it was Versus XIII years ago.

Why wouldn't it be true? Versus 13 is FFXV.

Being open world doesn't suddenly lead to a better game. I would rather have a world with lots of things to do and meaningful places to explore than a massive open world with sparse locations and activities.

I hope both games are like the former.

Try 3-4 years and its the same game.

Why wouldn't it be true? Versus 13 is FFXV.
3-4 years? Looks like a much different game now. That one look open world.. except going to mountains. The new stuff got all kind of set pieces and stuff.

Xeno seeing as I am quite skeptical with FFXV due it suffering multiple setbacks reworks and decision changes

Plus Xeno has more stuff to do in it it seems

Final Fantasy XV is my most hyped game, Xenoblade Chronicles X is #2.

I know what Xenoblade X is, it's Xenoblade in HD with mechs (which is amazing!) but XV is more of a mystery, i've never played a game like this, it will have super high production value's and FF is my favorite franchise of all time.

BadWolf

Dunno.

Have a few theories though.

1. Sony paid them. ( doesn't feel like it makes sense though. KH3 I can understand, but FFXV's annoucement trailers are a shit-ton of work, even for a vertical slice/target render)

2. Nomura/SE over-estimated their ability to complete the game. ( Dev hell, schedules being missed, getting delayed beyond their internal calendar, etc )

3. The content of the game is on-track, but the systems within the game isn't matching the target render reveal at E3. ( as in the actual combat system in the game isn't remotely as awesome as what they showed at E3 )

I think it was just as simple as SE wanting to set the stage for a new generation at the first major E3 for the new consoles, after a rocky previous generation.

Showing FFXV and KH3 was an excellent way of doing that.

Slowdive

Banned
Final Fantasy XV because it looks amazing, I really like the KH style of gameplay too. Xenoblade looks great but I don't have a Wii U.

3-4 years? Looks like a much different game now. That one look open world.. except going to mountains. The new stuff got all kind of set pieces and stuff.

There's no reason it can't have both an open world and set pieces.

Final Fantasy XV is my most hyped game, Xenoblade Chronicles X is #2.

I know what Xenoblade X is, it's Xenoblade in HD with mechs (which is amazing!) but XV is more of a mystery, i've never played a game like this, it will have super high production value's and FF is my favorite franchise of all time.

It's a Nomura Final Fantasy, there's been plenty of those. What's so mysterious about it? Battle system seems similar to Kingdom Hearts (but I have doubts that any shown footage is even actual gameplay, everything looks super scripted), so I'm not expecting something mind blowing and new there either.

Both look interesting to me, but I'll go with Xenoblade X simply because I'm not much of a Final Fantasy fan to begin with.

I'm probably looking forward to my next lunch more than I am Persona 5, and I'm having cup ramen for lunch.

wsippel

Banned
Xenoblade X is my most wanted game right now and I completely stopped giving a shit about FF with its convoluted, messy and often just plain dumb writing and overblown kitschy art direction years ago.

The old one had set pieces as well so I don't see the problem. The new trailers have focused a lot on the set pieces and combat. I don't see any indication that exploration like what we saw with Versus does not exist considering Versus is FFXV.

Mupod

Well, aside from FF14 and Theatrhythm I haven't cared about the FF name in a long time. And games that sat in development hell as long as XV has don't have a great track record. If it's good I'll get it, since I'll have a PS4 by then for sure...but I'll wait and see.

I played Xenoblade recently and it scratched a lot of itches I was looking for from JRPGs for a long time...maybe since Skies of Arcadia. And X is looking to improve on it in all the ways that I was hoping for. A customizable main character is a big deal to me since I like playing as 'tank' characters in that kind of game, but if you don't play as Shulk in Xenoblade then boss fights are a pain in the ass.

I'm a sucker for world maps. I remember when Versus was announced there was a lot of emphasis on it having an explorable world map - if this ends up being true then you can probably expect me to be there. And in this respect Xenoblade has already proven itself.

UberTag

Xenoblade Chronicles X. Because it will actually come out.

In fact, I can think of countless JRPGs I anticipate more avidly than FFXV at this point.
Square Enix has mortgaged all of their credibility.

Persona 5
English-adapted installments in the Kiseki franchise starting with Trails in the Sky SC
The annual Atelier title
Tales of Zestiria
Hell, Bravely Second - which isn't a Square Enix game in my mind because Silicon Studio largely made Default great

Laconic

Banned
Xenoblade.

I was never into boy bands, even in the 90s, so FF XV offers very little in terms of interesting content.

Dark_castle

It's a Nomura Final Fantasy, there's been plenty of those. What's so mysterious about it? Battle system seems similar to Kingdom Hearts (but I have doubts that any shown footage is even actual gameplay, everything looks super scripted), so I'm not expecting something mind blowing and new there either.

Nomura has never directed a single Final Fantasy game. This is the first and probably the only ever.

BasilZero

Final fantasy xv even if it won't release next year. Simply for the fact that I am a huge ff fan enjoyed xiii and xiii-2 and the presentation shown was more impressive than xenoblade - although I am sure I will get xenoblade chronicles x next year or so lol

will you be able to jump off that cliff?

Sqaure are currently known for their restriction (aside from 14)
with all those vehicles it would be a shame if there was nothing there in the world with multiple invisible borders and restriction ruining the experience.

Yes. It certainly looks like that since the following bits look like they come form the bottome area.

tumblr_m6t54uXsKO1rprmjwo1_500.gif

(sorry for that tumblr filter but I can't gifs of the normal version)

Just check the 2011 trailer out since it seems Versus gifs have disappeared.

Definitely more excited for FFXV, ever since the original reveal trailer I was in love with the style they chose for the game. The fact that it may get a PC release is also an added bonus. The game still needs to release sometime this millennium though.

I never played Xenoblade Chronicles so all the X footage so far just looks like empty fields with mechs. It's hard to be hyped if I don't know what I'm being hyped for.

Top Bottom