• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2015)

Osorio

Ugh, I had to drop Catch-22 after 150 pages. I caught myself permanently wandering off.. didn't grab my attention at all. I do understand where the appeal is coming from, but i guess the humor and thematic just aren't for me.

Trust me you're not alone.

huxley00

Currently reading Zen And The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and The Man In The High Castle.

The former is an interesting read but I find some of the philosophy abrasive. The latter, man, Philip K Dick writes some good novels. I'm impressed how well-formulated the world is.

Yeah, I read Zen... as well. Sad thing is his son actually ended up killing himself in his early 20s. I also read Man in the High Castle some years back. I liked it, but I was kind of confused by the overall theme/message. I know Amazon just released a pilot episode for the tv series based on that book.

Mumei

Ugh, I had to drop Catch-22 after 150 pages. I caught myself permanently wandering off.. didn't grab my attention at all. I do understand where the appeal is coming from, but i guess the humor and thematic just aren't for me.

It didn't click with me immediately, either, though if you've put 150 pages into it and still aren't enjoying it it probably isn't going to.

Celegus

Read almost all of Firefight this weekend. I was already a big fan of Steelheart, but this was better in every way. Sanderson knocking it out of the park once again!

379ch.gif

Are you dead inside?

Reading Dept. of Speculation by Jenny Offill. Everything is written in short paragraph form. Getting a heavy Vonnegut vibe, I was expecting a "so it goes" tossed in every chapter or so. It was a New York Times Top 10 Book of the Year, and I am quite enjoying it so far. Should be a quick read.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Haven't attempted Catch 22 since about two years ago when I got it.. I didn't like it, but ill try it out soon again

Reading Dept. of Speculation by Jenny Offill. Everything is written in short paragraph form. Getting a heavy Vonnegut vibe, I was expecting a "so it goes" tossed in every chapter or so. It was a New York Times Top 10 Book of the Year, and I am quite enjoying it so far. Should be a quick read.
You had me at Vonnegut

Mumei

That old "worst Bible protagonist" thread getting bumped turned me onto Zealot. Worth checking out?

I enjoyed it, though I can't speak for how accurate a representation of current religious historical scholarship on the era and Jesus in particular. Aslan did seem to go to great lengths to present alternate interpretations in the notes, though.

ryseing

I enjoyed it, though I can't speak for how accurate a representation of current religious historical scholarship on the era and Jesus in particular. Aslan did seem to go to great lengths to present alternate interpretations in the notes, though.

Alright, I'm going to go for it. Thanks.

leakey

Finished Moby Dick, which was a damn masterpiece of romanticism. I glazed over some of the cetology paragraphs, but it was still damn good.

Am halfway through A Good Man is Hard to Find by Flannery O'Connor. I love short stories, so I'm enjoying it so far.

TTG

That's a real black eye for you there.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Pop me into that list as well. Highly recommended by people with very similar tastes to me, and I rarely leave a book unfinished, but yeah just didn't grab me at all and o totally didn't get the humOur.

Oh well.

SPEAKING of not "getting" things, does anyone smarter than me have any theories or enlightening secrets regarding the Southern Reach trilogy? I mean, I knew the ending was going to be like that but I feel like I totally missed out on something obvious. Anyone want to share their two cents with me?

VanWinkle

70% into Well of Ascension, the second Mistborn book. I am LOVING this book. I've read that a lot of people find it somewhat weak compared to the first one, but I think it's great. A large focus on politics and a less focused plot make it not QUITE as good, but fantastic character development, along with mystery and intrigue regarding the Deepness, the kandra spy within the ranks, and what happened in the well of ascension more than make up for it. And, man, I love the conversations between Vin and OreSeur, because it's so interesting to learn about this bizarre, foreign species.

Argh such a great book.

Ashes

Banned
Finished The Brothers Karamazov. What a sublime book. The balancing of characters to create a cogent moral philosophy argument was well executed.

I am left a little bit haunted. And it will take a while to fully comprehend this story I feel. But regardless of my final view on it, it is a great book; a seminal example of how to go about commenting on the human condition.

LProtag

Just finished Warbreaker. I liked it quite a lot more than I expected to. Now I can finally move on to Words of Radiance!

I hope my Kindle lasts a while if we lose power since I'm going to be in the middle of this giant blizzard...

I did not get a Vonnegut vibe even slightly. Loved it, but it's SUPER literary and quiet and not even slightly weird SFF or whatever.

This month, I have read:

- "Rabbit Redux" by John Updike
- The Confessions of St. Augustine
- The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius
- "For They Know Not What They Do" by Slavoj Zizek

And am currently reading:

- "Giving Offense: Essays on Censorship" by J.M. Coetzee
- "Stranger Shores: Essays 1986 - 1999" also by J.M. Coetzee

About halfway on Last of the Amazons by Pressfield. Planning to finish it this week if not today. Pretty entertaining, took it without thinking from my house in order to read something after being bored by Laberinto de Soledad.

It's pretty interesting, but sometimes I get lost on who's who because of the names of the amazons.

I'm planning to take the 52 books challenge, I've read two so far this year (Slaughterhouse V and La Cabeza de la Hidra by Carlos Fuentes), three if you consider The Little Prince (Which I don't), but that's because I love that book.

But I don't know what to read next.

Peru

And am currently reading:

- "Giving Offense: Essays on Censorship" by J.M. Coetzee
- "Stranger Shores: Essays 1986 - 1999" also by J.M. Coetzee

Thoughts? He's an interesting essayist and critic but never quite as captivating as when he's analyzing himself and his own works in semi-biographicals like Summertime. Unlike his novels I haven't read all the non-fiction, though.

ShaneB

That is completely reasonable. If you don't like the main character, it is going to be really hard to enjoy. I go through the same thing with Terry Pratchett. His sense of humor just doesn't do it for me.

I think people just liked the "everyman" protagonist. He was extremely intelligent and yet very down to Earth (har har, he is on Mars) and easy to relate to. That is the thing with books, you just never know who is going to like what!

Yeah, it's all good. Said before how much I enjoy seeing the varied tastes in these reading threads, really wide spectrum of stuff.

TTG

Finished The Brothers Karamazov. What a sublime book. The balancing of characters to create a cogent moral philosophy argument was well executed.

I am left a little bit haunted. And it will take a while to fully comprehend this story I feel. But regardless of my final view on it, it is a great book; a seminal example of how to go about commenting on the human condition.

Always pleasant to hear from a fellow fan of Fyodor Mikhailovich, he's well represented here.

Piecake

I read it like 10 years ago so I could be a bit off, but I remember having the impression that Dostoevsky shared Aloysha's viewpoint, morality and worldview.

Nuke Soda

Read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator.

Factory was really good.

Elevator was okay. Felt to short though for all the stuff that happens in it.

Cade

Elevator is fucking weird. So out of place compared to the first book and weird amongst Dahl's other stuff. I like it, but weird.

Memories_of_Ice_by_Steven_Erikson_Limited_Edition_Cover_268_406.jpg

Memories of Ice by Steven Erikson

All that time spent being confused by books 1 and 2 is actually starting to pay off now. I'm only a quarter of the way in and already there's been some pretty neat reveals and the setup for what's to come seems very promising.

Also it has raptors with swords for hands and if you don't want to spend your time reading about raptors with swords for hands then I don't know what to tell you.

Mumei

Another update!

Read:

15808458.jpg
13593328.jpg
76852.jpg

13539229.jpg
16059619.jpg
3774496.jpg

61118.jpg
1948664.jpg
20701881.jpg

17332292.jpg
1868933.jpg

Currently reading:

17910142.jpg
1868926.jpg

An Empire of Wealth had some stuff I liked, but it was outweighed by the tiresome boosterism and handwaving of racism. I don't recommend it. Earth's Deep History was fantastic, though the regular digs at atheists "hijacking" science was tiresome. It was no surprise that he revealed that he chooses to live in a faith tradition, as he put it, because he clearly had an axe to grind in that respect. When he was talking about the history, though, it was thorough and engaging. He just doesn't seem to understand that the conflict between science and religion is epistemological; it isn't that a religious person can't adopt the epistemological worldview while practicing science, and use a different one as a religious person. We're all capable of these sorts of cognitive dissonances, after all. In any case, it did affect my personal enjoyment but not my recommendation.

Please Save My Earth continues to be a very engaging read. It's almost like reading it anew; I have only read it once before and about ten years ago at that. What's more, I did not read the actual release at the time, but scans that were translated by a translation group who I later learned is notorious for inaccurate and overly flavored translations. I think the story makes much more sense now. Still, I'm not counting it as a new read so these aren't showing up on my Goodreads. For manga or comics, I'm not sure what I'll focus on once I finish this. I'm thinking Vagabond or Banana Fish, but it may be something else entirely.

The Path of Daggers is ... well, it wasn't as bad as I had been given to expect. I didn't enjoy it as much as earlier books in the series, but since it was only 500 pages it also was a much faster book to read through than some of the 700 - 900 page books in the series. And Cadsuane is indeed great.

GavinUK86

Just finished reading:

8420838.jpg

Took me bloody ages with it being so long and drawn out. Good though. Not the ending I expected.

Now I'm onto this:

Leviathan-Wakes.jpg

People over in the TV show thread told me it's pretty good so I got it from Amazon. Good so far. Feels weird having such a light book in my hand after months of that Stephen King monster.

Nymerio

Memories_of_Ice_by_Steven_Erikson_Limited_Edition_Cover_268_406.jpg

Memories of Ice by Steven Erikson

All that time spent being confused by books 1 and 2 is actually starting to pay off now. I'm only a quarter of the way in and already there's been some pretty neat reveals and the setup for what's to come seems very promising.

Also it has raptors with swords for hands and if you don't want to spend your time reading about raptors with swords for hands then I don't know what to tell you.

That's my favourite Malazan book. The Seguleh kick ass.

Thoughts? He's an interesting essayist and critic but never quite as captivating as when he's analyzing himself and his own works in semi-biographicals like Summertime. Unlike his novels I haven't read all the non-fiction, though.

Admittedly, his essays (or transcripts of his lectures) can be hit or miss. The essays in "Giving Offense", though older, are much more pertinent to today and of a generally higher quality than "Stranger Shores", where he writes a large amount about Dutch authors, some of which I have never heard of.
I find a weakness of his essays is that he will often state explicitly a goal or topic of the essay and, by the end, he will have went off onto another topic entirely. It can leave you wondering if you've missed something. The only exceptions to this, I think, are when he is writing about the authors he most admires: Kafka, Dostoevsky, DeFoe, and Rilke. Here, he can be quite insightful and, surprisingly, often funny. Much like his fiction and semi-auto-biographical works, he is at his best when he directs his powerful insight onto himself or character that act as avatars for either himself or elements of his personality.

EleW7Yz.jpg

Very good. If you liked Gone Girl you will enjoy this one.

Having just finished Gone Girl: There are people who liked Gone Girl‽‽ I mean, I know what you mean, but that book has left me so pissed off. I'm going to have to give those kinds of books a break for awhile and stick to something easy, something that can't piss me off. I know, I'll start that book about the conspiracy theory nuts. That won't make me angry at all! /s

10578451.jpg

Regiruler

Winter's Heart itself is slow but has one of the best ending fights in the series, so look forward to that.

Crossroads of Twilight is indeed fairly mediocre, but everything from Knife-onward is fantastic.

Piecake

And the quote prefacing it is pretty good, too. ;)

Inside the Doomsday Machine? Hah, it definitely feels like it. Throughout the book, you are just thinking, my god, how can everyone be either so stupid, so greedy, evil, lazy, or oblivious? It has really cemented my views that the vast vast majority of investors on Wall St have no idea what the hell they are doing and generate profits from fees and the opaque confusing shit they create.

It was pretty interesting to read this book after The Half has Never Been Told due to the comparison that that book made between the 1837 and 39 crash and the one in 2008. Moral Hazard is a bitch, especially when you are putting into hazard the most important part of the economy.

Nuke Soda

Elevator is fucking weird. So out of place compared to the first book and weird amongst Dahl's other stuff. I like it, but weird.

Yeah, still good, but strange.

Started reading Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. About 100 pages in and really liking it so far. It does take some getting used to with everyone being referred to as her, but it is interesting.

Mumei

Inside the Doomsday Machine? Hah, it definitely feels like it. Throughout the book, you are just thinking, my god, how can everyone be either so stupid, so greedy, evil, lazy, or oblivious? It has really cemented my views that the vast vast majority of investors on Wall St have no idea what the hell they are doing and generate profits from fees and the opaque confusing shit they create.

It was pretty interesting to read this book after The Half has Never Been Told due to the comparison that that book made between the 1837 and 39 crash and the one in 2008. Moral Hazard is a bitch, especially when you are putting into hazard the most important part of the economy.

Oh, no. I meant the Tolstoy quote that I have as my tag!

LProtag

Read a good quarter of Words of Radiance between being snowed in yesterday and today. Renarin is my favorite now for sure.

Especially since he finally has shardplate and a blade and is throwing himself off of buildings to train.

Duress

Almost done with War and Peace, I think I should read something a bit lighter after this. Yeah, reading this after Romance of Three Kingdoms was not a good idea.

Top Bottom