• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2015)

Cerity

Finished reading Lolita yesterday, lost interest at about halfway through. It was interesting when it was exploring Humbert's psychosis, when he himself was taking steps out of the situation he was in to comment on things here and there. But then it just turned into some dreary story and the dialogue became tedious. In the first half I was thinking of re-reading it in the distant future as there was all that french that flew right over my head but it doesn't seem like that'll be happening.

Spent the majority of today reading Sputnik Sweetheart and managed to finish it. Easily one of Murakami's better books IMO. It was easy on the sex, which is by far the more crude portions of his books and spent a fair bit more time dwelling on the dream/awake, sub/conscious worlds. I'll probably step away from Murakami for awhile now, explore another writer for the time being.

N. K. Jemisin's The Killing Moon is $3 on Kindle daily deal today. Anyone read it yet? Recommendations? I didn't read her last trilogy based on some mixed feedback and reports that the third book didn't conclude the series very well. This one has an interesting premise.

Mumei

Almost done with War and Peace, I think I should read something a bit lighter after this. Yeah, reading this after Romance of Three Kingdoms was not a good idea.

I read The Three Kingdoms between May and September of 2012, so I read a lot of other books in between and wasn't feeling as burned out as you might have been.

Finished reading Lolita yesterday, lost interest at about halfway through. It was interesting when it was exploring Humbert's psychosis, when he himself was taking steps out of the situation he was in to comment on things here and there. But then it just turned into some dreary story and the dialogue became tedious. In the first half I was thinking of re-reading it in the distant future as there was all that french that flew right over my head but it doesn't seem like that'll be happening.

Spent the majority of today reading Sputnik Sweetheart and managed to finish it. Easily one of Murakami's better books IMO. It was easy on the sex, which is by far the more crude portions of his books and spent a fair bit more time dwelling on the dream/awake, sub/conscious worlds. I'll probably step away from Murakami for awhile now, explore another writer for the time being.

If you do try reading Lolita again, I would suggest reading the annotated edition. I think it adds a lot to the experience, and if nothing else functions as an answer to the question, "Wait, why is this part even in here?"

And Sputnik Sweetheart is one of my favorite Murakami novels.

VanWinkle

I had a few questions about Mistborn, if anyone's willing to answer them. I have read book two, but I've only just started book 3.

Why did Zane have a spike in his back? Does that have to do with the voice in his head, and the Inquisitors?

Does book three explain why it was that Vin was the specific person to hear the thumping and been called to the Well of Ascension?

Are the Inquisitors connected with Ruin rather than the Lord Ruler? I assumed they were created by the Lord Ruler but they're still around and they seem more focused on something specific now.

Thanks.

LProtag

I had a few questions about Mistborn, if anyone's willing to answer them. I have read book two, but I've only just started book 3.

Why did Zane have a spike in his back? Does that have to do with the voice in his head, and the Inquisitors?

Does book three explain why it was that Vin was the specific person to hear the thumping and been called to the Well of Ascension?

Are the Inquisitors connected with Ruin rather than the Lord Ruler? I assumed they were created by the Lord Ruler but they're still around and they seem more focused on something specific now.

Thanks.

1. Keep reading to find out.

2. Keep reading to find out.

3. Keep reading to find out.

Seriously, keep reading to find out.

Woorloog

Banned
Yup, keep reading. Some things you need to deduce yourself though.
Also, Brandon Sanderson's site has annotations available for all Mistborn chapters. They contain spoilers of course, but if you like the books, reading them afterwards may be interesting.

Cade

I should've picked up the Mistborn set when it was cheap on Kindle. Alas! I'm itching to read Way of Kings but I want to read some shorter stuff first before I dive headlong into anything too long again

VanWinkle

Partially. As i said, some you need to deduce yourself. Or interpret, perhaps. And if not, the annotations reveal things.

Okay. Yeah, I don't necessarily need them to be spelled out for me, but I was just hoping my questions won't go unanswered when this is through. Good to hear.

Rimshot

So I got a Kindle, and my friends convinced me of reading the name of the wind, and the wise mans fear.

Now fantasy was during many years my go-to genre, but along the years I grew soo tired of it that I couldn't even begin getting in to new fantasy books. So I had a few years of not touching it, and now that I started with these I must say it was a pleasant surprise and a bit of fresh air from the fantasy I used to read.

The thing that bothers me now is that I'll probably have to wait for 2017 or something like that for the third book to come. So in short; I need something new to read until the third book is out, and was hoping I could ask for some recommendations in this thread?

Althane

So I got a Kindle, and my friends convinced me of reading the name of the wind, and the wise mans fear.

Now fantasy was during many years my go-to genre, but along the years I grew soo tired of it that I couldn't even begin getting in to new fantasy books. So I had a few years of not touching it, and now that I started with these I must say it was a pleasant surprise and a bit of fresh air from the fantasy I used to read.

The thing that bothers me now is that I'll probably have to wait for 2017 or something like that for the third book to come. So in short; I need something new to read until the third book is out, and was hoping I could ask for some recommendations in this thread?

Depends on what you're looking for. The kindle library is full of amazing books, so the most important question is... what're you looking for?

I'll list a couple of books I've heard, one per 'genre' that I've been reading lately.

Sci-Fi (Hard)
The Martian by Andy Weir

Fantasy
Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone

Sci-Fi (Soft...er...ish)
Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey

Urban Fantasy
ALL of the Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher

Rimshot

Depends on what you're looking for. The kindle library is full of amazing books, so the most important question is... what're you looking for?

I'll list a couple of books I've heard, one per 'genre' that I've been reading lately.

Sci-Fi (Hard)
The Martian by Andy Weir

Fantasy
Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone

Sci-Fi (Soft...er...ish)
Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey

Urban Fantasy
ALL of the Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher

That's a very good question you ask, and probably something I should know how to answer before asking for recommendations. But I guess something similar to what I've read and enjoyed so far. The latest book, outside of the two I mentioned already, that I really liked was Kafka on the shore by Murakami.

I've seen a lot of positives on these threads about The Martian, but can I ask what you are referring to with "hard"?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Half-way through the Dialectics of Sex: The Case for a Feminist Revolution by Shulamith Firestone. Well-known as a classic radical feminist text. My impressions are ranging from "This is awesome" to "wtf am I reading? plz lay off the freud"

In the back cover of the book it does have this diagram though. Which is pretty much the most awesome thing ever conceived.

The-Effeminist_Firestone_diagram.jpg

Althane

That's a very good question you ask, and probably something I should know how to answer before asking for recommendations. But I guess something similar to what I've read and enjoyed so far. The latest book, outside of the two I mentioned already, that I really liked was Kafka on the shore by Murakami.

I've seen a lot of positives on these threads about The Martian, but can I ask what you are referring to with "hard"?

So, Sci-Fi is usually rated as "hard" or "soft" depending on how close it adheres to scientific concepts. Star Wars, for example, is soft, because it doesn't really go into physics, or attempt to explain how things work.

Ringworld, on the other hand, is hard because it attempts to have a strong scientific explanation (even if there's a bit of "Physics works differently, m'kay?) on it.

So basically, more technical detail and scientific rigor = hard, less = soft. The Martian does a pretty good job of explaining how the titular character does what he does.

Bazza

9471065.jpg

This book finished the trilogy quite nicely I think, I would put it on the same level as the Coldfire trilogy.
Have to say I honestly thought there was going to be some awkward souleater sex at the end of the book. I'm surprised all the main "good guys/gals" survived the final chapters as well, I assumed Coliver would end up dead sacrificing himself for Kamala. Glad he didn't though.

19085558.jpg

Was OK, It had been so long since I read
Monday Mourning with Anique Pomerleau I had to refresh myself on who she was and what happened in the last book so this felt more like an unexpected second sequel rather than its own story. I think if I gone through the series and Monday Mourning was relatively clear in my mind I may have enjoyed it more.

The_Light_of_Othe_Days_Book_Cover.jpg

This was ok, reading it I felt I had read something similar before without really being able to say what.

11570653.jpg

15837317.jpg

21530921.jpg

Thought I better go back and read these, Missed them when I was reading the main books. I think The Churn was my favourite of the 3, I just wish I had read them in release order it might have added a bit more to
Fred Johnson, Bobby and Amos
in the main books, but I'm guessing they will all feature in Nemesis Games so its not so bad.

89187.jpg

Alastair Reynolds name has popped up a few time so I have started this, first few chapters have me intrigued.

What I'm really looking to read though is something similar to Bank's Culture series so any suggestions would be welcome.

I'm currently reading Son of The Morning by Mark Alder.
17680025.jpg

There's a few chapters here to get a taste.
It's fantasy/historical based around the 100 years war (that's the historical bit).
The fantasy element is throwing angels, demons and devils into the mix too.

I'm reading

B8cnDdwIIAAGJB2.jpg

which is absolutely amazing. It's somewhere between - bear with me - The Virgin Suicides, Grey Gardens and The Royal Tenenbaums, a novel where three sisters at the end of their family line (a line that's seen 6 suicides in the preceding four generations) decide to kill themselves. The novel is their join suicide note. It's written (brilliantly) in a first person plural - so "We did this, this is our note" but then focusing on individual stories within that - "The eldest sister acted foolishly, which we judged" etc. It's quite incredible. Best thing I've read since Station 11.

The Enchanter

Neo Member
After finishing the Song of Ice and Fire Books (yeah I'm a GoT latecomer) I wanted to leave the land of medieval so read the Circle by Dave Eggers.

And avoided social media for a few days after.
It was an easy read for a lazy weekend but I thought it was still thought provoking in terms of actual vs virtual experience and where the boundaries are for sharing. When does the expectation of sharing become a form of entitlement? I also really like the emphasis of 'you are not a machine' in the beginning, by the end, as she was calculating her output she had effectively become one.

Corum

What I'm really looking to read though is something similar to Bank's Culture series so any suggestions would be welcome.

I recommend Ann Leckie's Ancillary Justice; I've just finished the second book (of the planned trilogy) and in terms of scope, science-fiction concepts and style it's similar to the Culture series.

After finishing a marathon reading the complete Strangers in Paradise run (comics) with the ComicsGAF Book Club (hi guys!), I needed something different so I've started Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson as it's been recommended countless times on GAF.

Very early days, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Ratrat

I want to read good historic fiction on The War of the Roses. Anyone have any suggestions?
Stuff like The Sunne in Splendour and Accursed Kings.

Bazza

I want to read good historic fiction on The War of the Roses. Anyone have any suggestions?
Stuff like The Sunne in Splendour and Accursed Kings.

The 2 War of the Roses books by Conn Iggulden are ok, not quite as engrossing as his Emperor and Conqueror series but still good reads.

I'm reading

B8cnDdwIIAAGJB2.jpg

which is absolutely amazing. It's somewhere between - bear with me - The Virgin Suicides, Grey Gardens and The Royal Tenenbaums, a novel where three sisters at the end of their family line (a line that's seen 6 suicides in the preceding four generations) decide to kill themselves. The novel is their join suicide note. It's written (brilliantly) in a first person plural - so "We did this, this is our note" but then focusing on individual stories within that - "The eldest sister acted foolishly, which we judged" etc. It's quite incredible. Best thing I've read since Station 11.

So not actually out yet? I'm sold either way...

Because of Harmontown and recently playing Shadowrun I'm now interested more in that universe. Any good novels based in that world or something similar? Probably won't get into any time soon, but I'm looking for something good I may want to throw in my to-read list.

LProtag

There's a big 30% off sale at my favorite used book store starting on Saturday. I really need to make a list of things to look for. It's going to be packed and they have so many books that it's hard to just browse to see what they have.

70 cent mass market paperbacks and 2.80 paperback/hardcovers... I can't wait.

Just finished The Monk.

Very pedantic, albeit not as pedantic as The castle of Otranto. It is nothing more than a display of the author's pruderie, but some scenes are reminiscent of Marlowe's the tragical history of doctor faustus and elizabethan theatre in general, which somewhat elevates the atmosphere.

Currently reading portrait of the artist as a young man and the race for a new gaming machine (the latter suggested by a fellow gaffer, cRIPticon)

If you liked Rothfuss you'll probably also like Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy, George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire books (aka Game of Thrones) and Glen Cook's Black Company series, all have that dark, gritty realism that is a relief after Tolkein, Donaldson, Lewis, Eddings, et al

Woorloog

Banned
If you liked Rothfuss you'll probably also like Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy, George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire books (aka Game of Thrones) and Glen Cook's Black Company series, all have that dark, gritty realism that is a relief after Tolkein, Donaldson, Lewis, Eddings, et al

I have read The Name of the Wind and it sure doesn't feel like either the First Law trilogy, or ASOIAF. If anything, it is more like Brandon Sanderson's works, if they were set in more standard fantasy settings. Kinda.
(But then i do not see the First Law and ASOIAF as being very similar either, beyond perhaps being dark/low fantasy works.)

Finished two more books the past week or so.

Steelheart was good. Never a dull moment in the book, but I was a bit disappointed in the lack of meaningful female characters.
There were some fun twists and I'll definitely read the second one.

Miss Peregrine's was a bit of an odd duck. It started off utterly riveting. I didn't want to put it down, with the way it used actual antique photographs to show the characters in the story and paired them with a tale that was legitimately chilling.
Then about 1/3 of the way through it started to drag. There were some interesting powers in the book and I did like the peculiar children but most of the fun I derived from the story was when they were a big mystery.
It ended on a cliffhanger so I guess I'll read the sequel just out of curiosity,

Finished The Art of Thinking Clearly and The Science of Interstellar. Both pretty good.

Starting this later. Love Polar survival stories.

In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette by Hampton Sides

Because of Harmontown and recently playing Shadowrun I'm now interested more in that universe. Any good novels based in that world or something similar? Probably won't get into any time soon, but I'm looking for something good I may want to throw in my to-read list.

I read a couple last year. They're all pretty bad lol but kinda fun if you enjoy the universe.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/51751-shadowrun-fasa-novel-series

ShaneB

You and me both, interested in what you think of it. Put it on my to-read list after seeing it on so many best of 2014 lists.

I'll be finishing up A New Dawn this evening, decent read, but ehh. Will round out to a 3/5 I think, will start watching Star Wars Rebels this weekend.

Not sure what I'll be reading next.

Lumiere

Neo Member
Reading the Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison, which I picked up at the library based on remembering hearing the name here, and was only vaguely interested in actually reading.

Then I started it last night before bed and couldn't put it down until 2 AM. It's funny, the book isn't particularly exciting or riveting or anything like that. It's just... enjoyable and interesting. The story is about a young man who ascends to a throne he is utterly unprepared for, after an accident in which a number of his relatives die. And he sort of has to pick his way through this hostile court, figuring out how everything works, fighting off encroachment and bureaucracy and just trying to do the right things without having any real idea of how to go about it.

It's fun. About halfway through it.
I really, really enjoyed it! One of my favorite 2014 releases along with City of Stairs.
If I were to make a summary of the plot it might sound as if not much happens, but it goes by really fast and it's great all the way until the end. Maia is such a refreshing main character :)

I originally picked it up after seeing that Bujold reviewed it on Goodreads. After liking it so much I have started picking up more of the stuff that she reviews positively... :)

thomaser

Finished my friend's master thesis on Rushdie's The Satanic Verses. That is a very complex and difficult book, so kudos to my friend who managed to make pretty good sense of it!

Inherent_vice_cover.jpg

Now, about to start Thomas Pynchon's Inherent Vice. Reading Pynchon is a special treat I indulge in every three years or so. This one has waited patiently in the bookshelf for the last 5 years, so it's about time to crack it open! I think the consensus is that this is a bit more manageable than the others. Love the cover, by the way!

Fjordson

This behemoth

13 pounds and over 1300 pages of Sin City. Despite being a longtime graphic novel fan, I had never read this past the first story (Mickey Rourke's Marv story from the first movie). It's been quite good so far, even the stuff that didn't make it into the first film. At times you briefly feel some of the out of date sexist and ultra-manly stuff come to the surface, but overall I think Miller's a damn good writer with a compelling sense of pacing. And his black and white art is incredible. Looks really great in the oversized format.

LProtag

Man, I just finished up Part III of Words of Radiance. Super exciting and hard to put down.

I was so excited when Renarin came to save Adolin and then remembered he was completely useless in a fight, haha.

Cerity

Started reading Charles Dickens' Great Expectations, I'm just a bit past Pips' first great expectation (well the beginning of it) and enjoying it. The writing is dense though, which leads me to skip verses here and there.

Loved the passages where Pip had did something wrong and he was afraid of his sister finding out. The way they were written reminded me so much of my childhood.

Jintor

I'm getting the feeling Mistborn isn't for me. I'll probably finish the first book and drop it I'm reckoning. It's pleasant enough but it just doesn't grab me.

Ah well.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
E9yJy0ll.jpg

I'm about 60% through Emily St. John Mandel's Station Eleven, which is turning out to be one of the best books I've read in years. The last time a novel created such an intense reaction in me was Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus (which is funny, since Morgenstern provided a cover blurb for SE). It's quiet and riveting, beautiful in its optimism, and avoids so many of the general cliches of post-apocalyptic fiction, while still subverting its tropes in interesting ways. Just gorgeous all around.

Just started The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, about 75 pages in. I'll freely admit that I don't comprehend 100% of the classical references (kinda like reading Melville in that respect, who I love anyway), but the writing/translation is beautiful and the plot, while just getting started, seems pretty appealing.

LProtag

Just started The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, about 75 pages in. I'll freely admit that I don't comprehend 100% of the classical references (kinda like reading Melville in that respect, who I love anyway), but the writing/translation is beautiful and the plot, while just getting started, seems pretty appealing.

I suggest finding a copy of The Key to The Name of the Rose. It has a short description of most of the historical references as well as translates all of the dialogue in other languages. It's especially helpful when trying to figure out what one character in specific is saying...

Anyway, lovely book. Very interesting. Hope you enjoy it!

Lumiere

Neo Member
Speaking of Bujold on Goodreads, I just came across this quote from a month ago:

So she's at least thinking about it still!
Yes! Hope she eventually gets to it!
At least it seems more promising than what she has to say about the Vorkosigan saga usually... :)

VanWinkle

Man, I just finished up Part III of Words of Radiance. Super exciting and hard to put down.

I was so excited when Renarin came to save Adolin and then remembered he was completely useless in a fight, haha.

Haha, yeah, that whole part was amazing.

Also, I think the chapter Fleet starts Part IV, and it's one of my favorite chapters. It's not the most complicated chapter by any means, and it doesn't really progress the plot, but I just loved everything about it.

Piecake

12445316.jpg

Just finished with this. It was okay. When the book was talking about people and science I found it really interesting. When it was talking about and describing math problems I was bored out of my mind.

Rimshot

I have read The Name of the Wind and it sure doesn't feel like either the First Law trilogy, or ASOIAF. If anything, it is more like Brandon Sanderson's works, if they were set in more standard fantasy settings. Kinda.
(But then i do not see the First Law and ASOIAF as being very similar either, beyond perhaps being dark/low fantasy works.)

I've tried reading A Song of Ice and Fire, but stopped at the second book. Did unfortunately not draw me in as much as The Kingkiller Chronicles. What books were you referring to of Brandon Sanderson's?

Top Bottom