• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What cancelled/unreleased game intrigues you the most?

Jaeger

It certainly changes the game. And it shows that its not the final version of the game, bugs or not. Not to say that the leaked versions arent fun in their own right, but the clarification is needed. Straight from a developers mouth is about as good as it gets :p

It just sounds like the developer romanticizing. Based on the timeframe and the game we have in our hands, there was not going to be a massive difference in what would have been and what we got. This is what the majority of the community believes based on physical evidence. Developers are human and lie as well.

sarcoa

One person is known by GAF, so Im not dropping thier name. The other person is in a position of trust for one of the big 3. When I say I know, I mean personally know. Not friend of a friend.
Two people who have (maybe) seen a video two decades ago and aren't at liberty to ever comment on the contents of the most impressive technical demonstration ever seen on Saturn hardware.

It's not that I don't believe you, it's that this same back and forth happens with different people on different forums and it always comes up short on actual evidence. Virtua Fighter 3 Saturn is fascinating and attractive because it's this awesome secret piece of history but at this point it's the equivalent of a folktale.

Borman

It just sounds like the developer romanticizing. Based on the timeframe and the game we have in our hands, there was not going to be a massive difference in what would have been and what we got. This is what the majority of the community believes based on physical evidence. Developers are human and lie as well.

All you can do is trust the developers. Not to say they are perfect either. Remember that Goldeneye's multiplayer, for instance, was added just months before the game was released. Its not unheard of. That last bit of whatever can take a game from good to great.

SCB3

Star Wars: 1313 before it was suggested/confirmed it was a Boba Fett game.

I still love the idea of a SW game set during the OT that doesn't revolve around Jedi

Glix

Firstly about the OP i played thrill kill on a real ps1 a few months before dreamcast launch.

Someone at my job got a burn of a rev and we did a disc swap or gameshark or something to get it to play. Edit, duh it played on our devkits

Was kinda meh.

My answer to the question posed by the OP has to be OG RE2. I am obsessed with info about it.

Yazuka

Lily Bergamo. =(
I was so hyped when this was announced from Suda51, but then got canceled/turned into another game. I still hope we can get this one day.

Obligatory gif.
lillybergamo-3aakox.gif

Everything I've heard about The White Council sounded great. It seemed like they were hitting milestones too until some behind the scenes fuckery doomed it.

The project got rebooted into Let it Die, so no.

So...Let it Die.

It's not a reboot.

They canned it and started working on something completely different...

I want Lily Bergamo too...

EDIT:

On a separate note...

This bad boy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzsLrcTNfO8

Was initially turned into a Krull-esque 3rd person shooter, nothing like the original premise...

Then later brought back as a F2P MP arena fighter...

None of which remotely interest me like the original Metal-Gear-Solid-In-Space concept video did...

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
The canceled game that hurts the most for me is, Werewolf the Apocalypse: Heart of Gaia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKWK-7YjScE

I remember when I first read about this game in PC Gamer I was so excited for it that I tore out the preview and kept it in my wallet. All through middle school I waited for it to come out, and was CRUSHED when I found out that it was canceled.

latest

curse-of-the-white-wolf-world-of-darkness-videogames-werewolf-apocalypse-asc.jpg

Goichi Suda(51)'s Kurayami. As far as i know this game might have been the one that broke him and made him stop from directing anything since then. Shinji Mikami worked on it in this stage as well (as with killer7) and made it sound like Suda was absolutely destroyed when this got cancelled.

It was basically Suda doing a Franz Kafka story (The Castle) as a video game. It was a horror game where you used a torch to stave off enemies, solve puzzles and navigate through the dark and was set in a macabre and weird world full of paranoid, untrustworthy characters. Since Kafka is one of Suda's biggest influences I think this game would have been incredible. Unfortunately it got canned in favour of Shadows of the Damned which was a decent TPS game but nowhere near his original concept and was directed/designed by somebody else.

kurayami-suda51-ps3-cancelled-kafka-project-1024x690.jpg

Talking about this concept, Goichi Suda said:

“When I considered the visuals, I immediately thought of darkness, and I imagined a hero within this night, with a light that would in a way symbolise his life. That became the core concept of Kurayami: literally, ‘darkness’ (in Japanese). […] It’s not about some hideous monsters or evil creatures coming out of the darkness, but playing on our natural fears of the dark, and the uneasiness that comes from the absence of noise and life. […] “Kurayami’s ideas are not about violence or eroticism, but fundamental problems in the human mind, which may find some conflict with the rating system. […] Though I expect the rating level to be quite high for Kurayami, I also expect the PS3 to be mainly purchased and used by an adult audience. I’m making a game for an adult audience, one that shows what life is and what being human is.”

Players would have had to pay attention to the townsfolk too, as the game would have been ambiguous about their intentions and personality:

“It shows how people change when faced with their fears – in a way, you could see a little bit of what Japan, or the world, is like in this town.”

kurayami-suda51-ps3-cancelled-05.jpg

https://www.unseen64.net/2015/10/27/kurayami-suda51-cancelled-ps3/

Also, always been fascinated in the Saturn version of Shenmue, Cry On (shelved Cavia game developed with Sakaguchi with using Fujisaka's art) and RE1.5. The original concept for Drakengard 3 sounded off the wall as well that Yoko Taro wanted - set in modern day with dragons getting summoned by mobile phones and looked like it had a harder, darker aesthetic to it. Story was probably completely different as well. That Square Japan vampire game looked pretty cool too, shame that got canned and converted into a forgettable mobile game.

I do wonder what it was that Matsuno was working on the Wii before it got canned.

Prey 2 looked amazing, best looking open world cyberpunk game since the original Deus Ex. Still pissed about its cancellation. Versus XIII looked cool back in the day, even as somebody who's never been big on most of the FF games (more of an SMT guy). I was in my teens back then though, so that might have been it.

Cheever

I might have never thought about Gunslinger again, forgot about how much I was excited for it.

That's two games for Surreal Software that were on the high road and then just fell off. Gunslinger and This is Vegas had promise and then just faded away. They also had a LotR game, Lord of the Rings: The Treason of Isengard, which was less shocking in its cancellation since the Sierra LotR games were doomed to be stomped by EA's stunning movie-based product line. Still a possible bummer though.

lotr_tai_inline_01.jpg

https://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/15/lordoftherings-toi-cancelled/

That LOTR title was literally canceled because one Exec Producer was offended by another and used his power to shut it down. It was another blatantly crazy example of how people in power are petty.

My white whale is a bit of an oddity.

As a kid I remember reading about an isometric action adventure game based on the Dennis the Menace (UK Beano) franchise that was in development by I belive Alternative Software (purveyors of the finest/shitest TV license tie ins).

All I ever saw was a single screenshot but my intrigued has been grabbed ever since.
I'd love to find out more about it.

Thisis all I've ever found!

ScOULaris

Just stumbled upon this entry on Unseen64.

https://www.unseen64.net/2010/10/18/bloodlust-international-karate-3-arcade-psx-cancelled/

Being that it was a sort of Killer Instinct clone, I really wish there were some better screenshots or even video somewhere out there. Cancelled fighting games have always interested me the most, given the fact that stuff like Tattoo Assassins and Thrill Kill were some of the earliest examples of cancelled games that I tried to research as a kid.

Also, my Video Games You'll Never Play book arrived today, and it's awesome! I highly recommend picking it up if you have an interest in the digital archaeology of cancelled or otherwise unfinished/unreleased games.

Sam & Max: Freelance Police

Kirby Gamecube

Half-Life 2: Episodes 3 & 4

This.

It's also shocking how people don't have more of a grudge against Valve over it. Think about it:

This game was a smashing success. Not a flop, not on the fence, an all time classic and massive seller.

This company wasn't stuck for financial reasons beyond the success of the game, Valve is insanely rich.

There is no reason for not finishing the story, beyond that they didn't need the money, so stopped caring.

They didn't even have the decency to contract it out to another studio like MG (of TNO fame). It would be a guaranteed financial success.

The only reason that we don't have a conclusion to HL is because Valve doesn't care about the loyal fans that made them.

People joke about it a lot, but it's actually incredibly disrespectful.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
This.

It's also shocking how people don't have more of a grudge against Valve over it. Think about it:

This game was a smashing success. Not a flop, not on the fence, an all time classic and massive seller.

This company wasn't stuck for financial reasons beyond the success of the game, Valve is insanely rich.

There is no reason for not finishing the story, beyond that they didn't need the money, so stopped caring.

They didn't even have the decency to contract it out to another studio like MG (of TNO fame). It would be a guaranteed financial success.

The only reason that we don't have a conclusion to HL is because Valve doesn't care about the loyal fans that made them.

People joke about it a lot, but it's actually incredibly disrespectful.

I think they scared of not living up to the hype and this feeling will only gets worse over time.

JSoup

Banned
I'm bumping this because I just remembered one that really bummed me out.

Breeding Season
It's exactly what it sounds like but more. It's a highly ecchi Harvest Moon clone with monster girls. The art was amazing and the gameplay seemed spot on, could go right along side Stardew Valley with no issue. Sadly, the lead artist was a dick who decided he didn't want to work on the game anymore and took all his art with him when he left, effectively killing the project.

daTRUballin

While the game was technically released on a different console, I've always been intrigued by the GameCube version of Perfect Dark Zero. As far as I know, there is no footage of any actual gameplay whatsoever. I wonder if it would've been any different than what we got in the final Xbox 360 version?

AerialAir

Banned
Prey 2: The Thread

Open world Bladerunner bounty hunting game. Much like how people cursed Fox for dropping Firefly people will curse Bethesda for doing shady shit no matter how much they deny it and blame the "quality" of the tittle as justification.

This game would have been undoubtedly a masterpiece with amazing visuals for its time, great art design and gameplay...and it's something that everyone knew...including Bethesda.

I would love for Unseen64 to do a detailed piece on this but I doubt Bethesda will ever cough up anything about this fuck up.

3tskGS8h.jpg

Yup, pretty much this, but it's Bethesda we're talking about, they only care about a quick $$$$
I still buy some of their games, I mean Dishonored 2 and DooM are great

Crazyorloco

This thread saddens me. Starcraft ghost. Ugh.

And Dragon hopper on virtual boy...I think I'm the only one on gaf that was looking forward for this. Back in the day I was pretty excited for any news on this.

Edit: I was looking forward for Scalebound.

Ainsz

May have been mentioned berfore but for me it's simply the games promised during the run up to the PS3's launch. I used to go back to the same articles over and over in the PS magazine and now live with the fact I'll never get to play 2 Days To Vegas, The Getaway 3 and Eight Days.

I mean they halted the development for The Getaway and Eight Days to make way for Eye Pet... Fucking Eye Pet!!!?????

Borman

While the game was technically released on a different console, I've always been intrigued by the GameCube version of Perfect Dark Zero. As far as I know, there is no footage of any actual gameplay whatsoever. I wonder if it would've been any different than what we got in the final Xbox 360 version?

There is footage of the original Xbox version, which uses a Gamecube controller placeholder, so I imagine at least at one point those two versions were similar, which are somewhat similar to the 360. But I get the impression it went through a few different phases.

May have been mentioned berfore but for me it's simply the games promised during the run up to the PS3's launch. I used to go back to the same articles over and over in the PS magazine and now live with the fact I'll never get to play 2 Days To Vegas, The Getaway 3 and Eight Days.

I mean they halted the development for The Getaway and Eight Days to make way for Eye Pet... Fucking Eye Pet!!!?????

I talked to someone about some of those titles. Eight Days only really got as far as what the leaked Youtube videos showed unfortunately.

Good!!

3HRQ288.png

Ainsz

I talked to someone about some of those titles. Eight Days only really got as far as what the leaked Youtube videos showed unfortunately.

I can see how that was the case, just something for Sony to show off at E3. The bigger casualty is really The Getaway. A properly unique open world sandbox series compared to GTA and clones and Sony decided it best to squander it. Oh well.

You crushed my childhood dreams.

Rambone

Aliens RPG. Would rather of had that game over the one that got released by Turdbox, Aliens Colonial Marines.

daTRUballin

There is footage of the original Xbox version, which uses a Gamecube controller placeholder, so I imagine at least at one point those two versions were similar, which are somewhat similar to the 360. But I get the impression it went through a few different phases.

Do you think the GC version will ever be obtainable for collectors such as yourself? It would be very cool if someone were to somehow find it and show it off or something. I understand that it's probably similar to the OG Xbox version, but it still would be interesting to see.

Did the GC version ever even reach a playable state? Is there even a version of it out there if so?

I can see how that was the case, just something for Sony to show off at E3. The bigger casualty is really The Getaway. A properly unique open world sandbox series compared to GTA and clones and Sony decided it best to squander it. Oh well.

You crushed my childhood dreams.

Yeah sorry about that! I agree though that Getaway was a big loss for what we wanted.

Borman

Do you think the GC version will ever be obtainable for collectors such as yourself? It would be very cool if someone were to somehow find it and show it off or something. I understand that it's probably similar to the OG Xbox version, but it still would be interesting to see.

Did the GC version ever even reach a playable state? Is there even a version of it out there if so?

No one has confirmed a Gamecube version existing outside of Rare, while the Xbox version seems to be at least in one or two hands. The fact that they bothered to use the Gamecube mockup is a good sign for there potentially being something at all playable, but nothing is confirmed. Gamecube stuff seems far harder to come by than Xbox in general, and since it likely was less developed, it was less likely to go onto a system or disc that could sneak its way out.

I've been close to being able to cover the Xbox version in the past, but it has slipped away. If anyone out there wants to talk, you know where to find me.

Top Bottom