• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What cancelled/unreleased game intrigues you the most?

Widge

I would have loved to seen what Ushiro was gonna be.

fsafsa.jpg

Scrolled through before posting, was glad to see someone mentioned this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ6GhpLSEYg

Absolute dearth of jRPGs on PSP at one point so this was massively on my radar.

Hylian7

Scalebound most recently. I had faith in Hideki Kamiya that despite not looking good when shown, it really was a good game, and it certainly seemed like it. Goes double especially if that part they showed behind closed doors is true. I really wish we coudl see video of that some day to imagine what could have been.
cm-vi1.gif

Kirby Gamecube

It was in fact that game, and they even carried over a ton of the stuff from it, including the ability to stack on top of each other in 4-player co-op.

Beegeous

The Wii U F-Zero game that was gonna be made by Criterion, and Diddy Kong Racing Adventure, a true-blue sequel to the original by Climax.

Some things are better off not knowing about. 8'D

I remember rumours but I remember no studio attachments. Any links for further reading?

ffvorax

I actually enjoyed a lot thrill kill... I had a pirated copy my brother had from a friend... I have no idea where he got it... but the game was a lot of fun, like a mortal kombat in a 3d environment with fatalities and fun psycho characters...

Osahi

Starcraft Ghost probably.

Also Chrono Cross, as that never released in Europe and I didn't get a chance to play it yet. I remember reading previews of it over and over and over again.

Clov

As fantastic as Mother 3 turned out on the GBA, I've always been curious about how Earthbound 64 would have ended up. I remember reading that it had a demo at Spaceworld. If that ended up leaking, it would be so interesting to see what it would be like!

I also think that the Virtual Boy Mario Land game looked really interesting. It had both sidescrolling segments and top-down, Zelda-like parts to it. I wonder how that would have worked?

Rainbow 6: Patriot looked absolutely amazing from a conceptual standpoint. I loved that little intro that showed you a glimpse of what would have otherwise been a faceless character's life. If you don't remmebeI, it showed a man and his wife enjoying a lazy day at home with their infant child until terrorists storm in and kidnap the man. You wake up blindfolded on a van and are taken outside into a bridge to see that you have a bomb strapped to you and you have to manually hold the detonator. This is all in first person.

Then you switch to the main character, go on the typical Rainbow 6 terrosist murder spree on the bridge until you reach the civilian you played as earlier. You find out that one of the terrorists activated a timer on the bomb and you have to make a split second decision to either find a way to disarm the bomb, kick the man off the bridge, saving everyone else, or letting fate have its way.

It was a seriously cool concept on morally gray and split second decisions. Not sure how it would have actually translated to a real game, which may have been why they turned it into Siege, but interesting nonetheless.

Recently, I was sooooo hyped for Scalebound. Also, I remember being intrigued by City of Metronome

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
The Thing 2

The original Thing game was such a rough diamond to me that I was really looking forward to the planned sequel. All the available concept art made it seem like a massive improvement.

Then it just faded away.

Rookhelm

I would be interested to see more of the original concepts of Shadow of the Colossus. Like, armies or squads going up against the colossi (multiplayer maybe? I forget if they ever said that). It looked like a very different game originally.

Star Wars 1313 is a good mention, as is Silent Hills.

Also, i'd love to play a 16-bit FF7, that was originally in development.

Titan.

I really want to know what they were trying to achieve with it and what some of the different concepts were within it. One of those became Overwatch or at least small elements were implemented from Titan into it. I'd love for Blizzard to do a public post mortem on the failed project to highlight what they were trying and what went wrong, what was good and what positives if any could be taken away from the project.

Mandoric

Banned
Final Fantasy IV. The Final Fantasy IV that was near-completion for the NES, before being completely scrapped when the simultaneously-announced SNES FF5 was completed first and launched as 4.

aXvEMCL.jpg

JNT

Yup, pretty much this, but it's Bethesda we're talking about, they only care about a quick $$$$
I still buy some of their games, I mean Dishonored 2 and DooM are great
Remaking the game from scratch is quick cash?

The Thing 2

The original Thing game was such a rough diamond to me that I was really looking forward to the planned sequel. All the available concept art made it seem like a massive improvement.

Then it just faded away.
I believe the art work from the cancelled game made it into the 2011 movie.

KORNdoggy

The original premise for Resident Evil 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo_hMbJQeU4

The original premise for Dark Sector

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpr1DCQNyg4

Eight Days (still kinda holding out hope this comes back)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de_iqH93Ywc

Cipher Complex (splinter cell meets rush n attack)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th_dd_0hhzs

there was also a game on PS3 which i liked the look of, but their claims where overblown, and it just seemed like they were milking whoever were finding them. it had machanical enemies with flesh stretched over their faces i think (can't quite remember) and the main character looked a bit like kain from blood omen. it was a hack n slash i think? anyone know what i mean?

Something I've always wanted to play are the Stargate games that were announced and then cancelled, especially Stargate SG-1: The Alliance and Stargate worlds. It's unfortunate that the franchise didn't get a major video game and the most recent show was cancelled, and now they're going to just throw out everything about it and reboot the whole thing because of a reason of basically "It's wasn't OUR Stargate!". If those games had released it might have ended differently.

Borman

Something I've always wanted to play are the Stargate games that were announced and then cancelled, especially Stargate SG-1: The Alliance and Stargate worlds. It's unfortunate that the franchise didn't get a major video game and the most recent show was cancelled, and now they're going to just throw out everything about it and reboot the whole thing because of a reason of basically "It's wasn't OUR Stargate!". If those games had released it might have ended differently.

Did you just catch the latest video I uploaded? Hah

Added a new video to the SG-1 The Alliance playlist, of Mission 12: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvqUUElc5KU&list=PLzFcQjiHTIuXpcstT88f3VMy-vL0Y-q2L&index=1

But if you makes you feel better, the reboot is currently off.

The XCOM FPS before the backlash (based on the divergence from the strategy genre) and subsequent rebuild as The Bureau:

Trailer: https://youtu.be/MHGvNW4fhhI

An FPS with 1950s UFO paranoia setting, built with heavy BioShock influence looked creepy and awesome.

I was ridiculously excited for this, having recently finished the first bioshock at the time. It's a real shame it turned into something totally different.

Just take a look at this demo:

https://youtu.be/IeVTqf0RHHc

Xtars

Besides the obvious ones, Star Wars 1313, KOTOR 3 and Prey 2 one game that didn't see the light of day was the highly controversial, but interesting:

Rainbow Six: Patriots

https://youtu.be/4ZonRWlSy7k?t=14

Story about domestic terrorism in the USA where the terrorists took civilians hostage and forced their loved ones to commit terrorist acts on the american people to save their spouses. At least that was the premise presented in the demo. Looked very interesting but extremely controversial. Never saw the light of day and got re-made to what we know now as Rainbow Six: Siege.

It's probably because no one truly knows what it would of been. There has never been any kind of leak of artwork or anything IIRC.

All we know is that there are "elements" of Titan in Overwatch:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/7/7175677/overwatch-titan-maps

In response to a question about any similarities between the two games, Metzen said that "there are elements to Overwatch" that have "continuity" with Titan, including some maps. Even though some of Overwatch may have originated in Titan, he stressed that the games aren't the same.

It's a really vague statement and for all we know it could be some superficial aesthetic ideas at most. I doubt any actual assets made the transition.

blakep267

I wasn't super excited about svalebound. But I ended up really really enjoying a final fantasy Xbox and I was hoping that Scalebound would be simple to it. I'm the sense of an open world with stylish combat etc

Besides the obvious ones, Star Wars 1313, KOTOR 3 and Prey 2 one game that didn't see the light of day was the highly controversial, but interesting:

Story about domestic terrorism in the USA where the terrorists took civilians hostage and forced their loved ones to commit terrorist acts on the american people to save their spouses. At least that was the premise presented in the demo. Looked very interesting but extremely controversial. Never saw the light of day and got re-made to what we know now as Rainbow Six: Siege.
This looked way too much like uninspired scripted campaign. The direction of RS:Siege was the right way too go, even though it was a shame that they cut out the campaign mid-dev

-shadow-

I know that technically the game is released and most of the content was brought over, but the Nintendo 64 version of Eternal Darkness shows some content that was never brought over to the final game and Dyack has said that some of the content also wasn't ported over for various reasons. Also I'm truly curious how the game itself would just have been on the N64, the idea of that game on older hardware just fascinates me.

GcRayden

Macross VFX 2

kPN2V2M.jpg

Official Playstation Magazine Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPwr_cq7Dn0

They had a playable demo in the Official Playstation Magazine along with a sweet trailer. I spent months playing the demo over and over again waiting for it's release...until my disc got scratched. Then I found the disc way later after I had grown up and looked for the game to purchase online, just to find out it was released in Japan and the English release was abandoned. :(

Ashilyn

All my big ones have been mentioned - Versus XIII, Silent Hills, KHBbS Vol.2, Xenosaga, etc. But there's one big one I haven't seen yet that I'll always be salty about: Legacy of Kain: The Dark Prophecy. Check it out on Lost Worlds (can't get the link since I'm at work).

Dead Sun looked like a fantastic game, but Dark Prophecy always sounded like the game I wanted after Defiance. It wasn't developed directly by Crystal Dynamics - though iirc it would've had staff consulting on the game, since I believe Amy Hennig had already left for Naughty Dog by this point - but rather by Ritual, but for the most part it sounds like it would've been a worthy addition to the franchise, if admittedly likely missing some of the magic due to not having some key personal on it. I would've still liked to have seen the story come together though, if only to help wrap up that cliffhanger from the end of Defiance.

Shadow Hearts 3. (Apparently From the New World wouldn't count as a mainline game)

It was in the really early stages but it was planned as a prequel starring Ben Hyuga and Kurando's dad.

It hurts even more because the series is deader than dead, without even the hope of a digital re-release of any kind.

Lijik

The platformer version of Raving Rabbids (not the two other pitches that all get collectively misattributed as a singular Rayman 4).

It was never really clear what the structure of that game is, other than it was apparently open worldish. A lot of the screenshots/footage from that version have minigame equivalents in the final game so im curious what the actual platforming/minigame ratio wouldve been.

Baleoce

Landstalker PSP
Whore of the Orient
Starfox 2 (even though it's playable via emulation, i'm still intruiged at the politics around it never making it to release)
Half Life 2: Episode 3

Top Bottom