• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What cancelled/unreleased game intrigues you the most?

I would have liked to seen Tiberium been released.

art_fanboxshot.jpg

here's video of gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcBR1ivcHjo

and even leaks of cinematics were put out as well. here's one of the introductory cutscene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoGNaP84kl4

and what would have happened at the end of the first mission (spoilers for those who are holding out)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r6qZibTrJU#t=6.588532

i don't get how this didn't meet their quality control standards, and yet C&C 4 was put out with no reservations. lol

That's a great pick! Post-Total Annihilation, Cavedog had a crazily ambitious line-up, but Amen was the one I wanted the most. Jeremy Soule's score was fantastic. I know people who saw it at E3 1999 and said the presentation was the highlight of their show. Gamespot ran an amazing post-mortem of the project back in 2000. I would love to see a video surface one day, but I'm not holding out hope. :(
screenshot_amen_the_awakening_11.jpg

It was the main reason I backed the Consortium games on Fig and Kickstarter.

I was also super excited about Amen back in the day. I even followed the quasi ARG stuff they were doing on the game's official forum. Very bummed how things went for Cavedog.

Another game I was hotly anticipating back around the turn of the century was Torn from Black Isle. It was a lot of the guys behind Fallout, Icewind Dale and Torment creating an original fantasy setting that sounded very cool. It's kinda hilarious to go back and look at the previews. It's a really homely early 3D RPG.

https://youtu.be/nHJHUVdVxiw

Final Fantasy Versus XIII. Game was meant to be a trilogy of games on a grand epic scale and alot of that is missing in XV. It really feels like Versus XIII was meant to be so much greater than it ended up being

jimmypython

Agreed on FFVXIII

I'm pretty sure KH0.2 in the 2.8 collection is BBS Vol 2 actually. It's even named the same thing afaik

0.2 is only part of the volume 2 story unfortunately.....Volume 2 is 0.5 (the original BbS is 0)..

but Nomura did say the rest 0.3 will be included in the beginning of KH3 LOL

Vlaphor

Steambot Chronicles 2. Loved the hell out of the first one to the point that I kept my PS2 plugged in longer than I would have otherwise in case I wanted to play it again. This was before emulation worked with the game. Emulating the game at the time on either a 60gb PS3 or PCSX2 caused a logic issue in a cutscene about 1/3rd the way in and the game stopped working after that. I even bought the two PSP spinoffs of Steambot Chronicles, one of which is just the game Blokus with sprite representations of Steambot Chronicles characters playing the game and commenting...and I ate it up! So yeah, I followed any news of the sequel very closely...and then it got cancelled.

One of the worst about it being cancelled is that I can't be too angry over why it was cancelled. It wasn't some studio exec looking at the game and saying, "Nahh, fuck that Vlaphor asshole. Cancelled!!". It was due to the effects of the 2011 Japan earthquake and tsunami that forced the developer to halt production on both that and the fourth game in the Disaster Report series, so I can't complain about it unless I want to look like an jerk who whines about his video games over the devastation of a country (though from what I've read, SC2 and DR4 might have been cancelled anyway, since Irem wanted to get back into the pachinko business. It's just that the 2011 disaster solidified those plans).

Still, there is a tiny ray of hope. Disaster Report 4 is back in production and a trailer was released recently with English subs. If DR4 can come back, I fully expect SC 2 to be in full production as well as I type this, and I know I won't be disappointed again.

Nepenthe

The Wii U F-Zero game that was gonna be made by Criterion, and Diddy Kong Racing Adventure, a true-blue sequel to the original by Climax.

Some things are better off not knowing about. 8'D

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
If memory serves me correctly, Midway Games had the XFL license before that league imploded.

We were robbed of an XFL game with the NFL Blitz engine.

KyleSmash

Banned
That's a great pick! Post-Total Annihilation, Cavedog had a crazily ambitious line-up, but Amen was the one I wanted the most. Jeremy Soule's score was fantastic. I know people who saw it at E3 1999 and said the presentation was the highlight of their show. Gamespot ran an amazing post-mortem of the project back in 2000. I would love to see a video surface one day, but I'm not holding out hope. :(
screenshot_amen_the_awakening_11.jpg

It was the main reason I backed the Consortium games on Fig and Kickstarter.

Quite possible that we encountered one another on the old message boards.

Not sure why, but this always struck a cord with me. It may not seem it, with the current era of TWD and zombie games galore, but this was a solid 7 years prior to the release of the original Dead Rising. I've read the referenced post-mortem and was part of the Total Annihilation community at the time everything blew up, but still don't have much familiarity with what occurred. I'd be curious to know what happened with Cavedog, what the real reason for Chris Taylor walking away was, etc.

Mahonay

Banned
YEP.

At the time I was crushed when it became clear it was going into indefinite stand-by before they outright cancelled it years later. It was my most anticipated game. Also looking back on it, it had some aspects of survival games before survival games.

Man, this sounds like a Red Dead prototype.

Yup, that's what it reminds me of now. But back in the day, it seemed way different, and a lot of what they talked about were things that we see a lot more now and started seeing a lot more during the PS2/PS3 days

Before Red Dead came out Cowboy Western games were really difficult to fund. This was being developed by the Drakan team and tech. So it would've been a pretty big world at the time.

Funding disappeared and the team moved onto making The Suffering. Now that's a game I would've loved to play in a new form. I was holding out for a then next-Gen (now last-gen) version of the Suffering. This is Vegas took the whole team though and making Suffering 3 was shelved.

Glad that someone else remembers Gunslinger. I remember convincing myself it would eventually release. I forget when I eventually forgot about it. =P

This was IGN's preview back in May 2000, when the game was slated for release during the summer of 2001. Everything at the time just sounded awesome and not what you may find in a lot of games now:

The RPG system involves gamers in conversation that branches off in different directions depending on how they relate to the people in various towns. The main character, a dark loner suspiciously familiar in looks, stance, and demeanor to Clint Eastwood's character in dozens of spaghetti westerns, can determine his reputation by the way he acts. The reputation system enables you to become famous for the horrible way you treat people, or the nice and friendly way you handle them in time of need. Either way you earn a reputation and can change it depending on your actions. All of the conversations happen in real time, and if you decide to simply end one, you can walk away, or restart the conversation at any time.

Enemy reactions to gun shots are extra cool, too because the enemies are created with responsive locations. So, if you peg an enemy in the arm, he'll grab it in pain. If you're close enough, and hit it just right, you may blow it off. The game spares no one in the violence department, as blood splatters everywhere. You can shoot anyone in town, friendly women, the mayor, or whomever.

Interestingly enough, Way of the Samurai had a concept like that. You could repair stuff at the blacksmith, or just kill him, and the story would adjust.

Perhaps what they were trying to do was too ambitious at the time. It didn't look very good from the screenshots because it was only two months into development, but everything sounded so cool.

Mahonay

Banned

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
My number one would be Twelve Tales: Conker 64, I'm so sad it couldn't be included with Rare Replay.

Runners Up: Rayman 4 and Banjo X.

MAX PAYMENT

TFLO was going to be my first foray into MMORPGs. I was massively let down when it was just canned out of nowhere. It looked like such a lively world.

I was so excited for this game!

I bet it would've made a huge impact on the industry if it was good.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The original vision for Zelda 64, yeah it looked a bit rougher but seemed like it ran at 30 fps at least. Plus you had that cool jump spin slash attack!

URA Zelda as originally planned would have been really cool too.

Sephzilla

Star Fox 2 was basically a completed game that never got released.

Also, mark me down as another person who was excited for True Fantasy Live Online

Somehow this is what always happens. There's never a direct source, but always someone who knows someone else who supposedly saw it.

One person is known by GAF, so Im not dropping thier name. The other person is in a position of trust for one of the big 3. When I say I know, I mean personally know. Not friend of a friend.

Chrono Resurrection could have been great. It was a fan recreation of Chrono Trigger.

It was actually meant to be only a "playable demo" featuring 10 locations of the game (Crono's bedroom and Crono's kitchen counted for 2 locations), and 5 of the main characters. I feel like a lot of people seemed to expect that it was going to be a full recreation...

Star Fox 2 was basically a completed game that never got released.

Also, mark me down as another person who was excited for True Fantasy Live Online

It deserves to be leaked. Even better, Nintendo should stop sitting on it and just release the damn thing on VC.

What do they have to lose? Sales for Star Fox Zero?

Since FF Versus XIII, Lily Bergamo and Silent Hills have already been mentioned a lot I'll say Tomb Raider Anniversary Edition. I don't mind the Anniversary game we got, but having one last Tomb Raider game made by Core as a remake of the first game would've been awesome :/

1, 2

HotHamBoy

Borman

The final version was leaked. It was originally only "incomplete" due to bugs. Those have since been fixed.

No its not. Even the developers have said that its not.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...star_fox_2_nintendos_most_famous_cancellation

"During development we received a copy of the mastered Star Fox 2 ROM to play, and it was quite a blast." This ROM would have been the final game, complete with QA tweaks and ready for a release that never happened. Cuthbert is keen to point out that this version is far superior to the numerous leaked prototype ROMs which are currently doing the rounds on the web - the leaking of which has been erroneously attributed to himself. "There are a few ROMs on the net in various conditions," he states. "But the ones I checked out are all old and they don't have the randomizing Rogue-like stuff working or all the encounters in place, so you don't really get the feel of the game we were making."

Jaeger

No its not. Even the developers have said that its not.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...star_fox_2_nintendos_most_famous_cancellation

"During development we received a copy of the mastered Star Fox 2 ROM to play, and it was quite a blast." This ROM would have been the final game, complete with QA tweaks and ready for a release that never happened. Cuthbert is keen to point out that this version is far superior to the numerous leaked prototype ROMs which are currently doing the rounds on the web - the leaking of which has been erroneously attributed to himself. "There are a few ROMs on the net in various conditions," he states. "But the ones I checked out are all old and they don't have the randomizing Rogue-like stuff working or all the encounters in place, so you don't really get the feel of the game we were making."

Yea, this is not completely true. The only thing missing was the "Rogue-like" stuff. To say the final product was some vastly different game and the unleaked build is some completely different and better game is crap. SF2 was cancelled in the final hour.

Cepheus

I never heard about the Street Fighter sequel? Where can I learn more about that?

I'm not too sure where exactly I can find the information, but I've read a few times about how Capcom started work on Street Fighter 3 right after the first edition of Street Fighter 2 got popular, but then Mortal Kombat came out and they got scared about it stealing the limelight from SF2, so they decided to put the characters they had designed for Street Fighter 3 thus far (Cammy, T. Hawk, Fei-Long and a Fei-Long headswap) into a new version of Street Fighter 2 instead. Though Capcom USA didn't like the idea of two Fei Longs and so created Dee Jay to replace the headswap, and Super Street Fighter 2 was born. You can still see the remnants of the Fei Long headswap idea with Yang and Yun in the final release of Street Fighter 3.

Borman

Yea, this is not completely true. The only thing missing was the "Rogue-like" stuff. To say the final product was some vastly different game and the unleaked build is some completely different and better game is crap. SF2 was cancelled in the final hour.

It certainly changes the game. And it shows that its not the final version of the game, bugs or not. Not to say that the leaked versions arent fun in their own right, but the clarification is needed. Straight from a developers mouth is about as good as it gets :p

CamHostage

Glad that someone else remembers Gunslinger. I remember convincing myself it would eventually release. I forget when I eventually forgot about it. =P

I might have never thought about Gunslinger again, forgot about how much I was excited for it.

That's two games for Surreal Software that were on the high road and then just fell off. Gunslinger and This is Vegas had promise and then just faded away. They also had a LotR game, Lord of the Rings: The Treason of Isengard, which was less shocking in its cancellation since the Sierra LotR games were doomed to be stomped by EA's stunning movie-based product line. Still a possible bummer though.

lotr_tai_inline_01.jpg

https://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/15/lordoftherings-toi-cancelled/

Top Bottom