• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What foreign languages sound like to people who don't speak them

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeleSocho

Banned
Italian sounds like a parody of an american that tries to imitate some italoamerican speaking italian that has not spoken it in decades.

DJ_Lae

Does a good job on them. I should ask my cube mate what random Arabic words she's blending together (if any).

She uses a few real words at the beginning before moving onto the gibberish. That's what lends it the air of authenticity. Her accents are spot on though.

Raiden

Banned
She fucked up speaking Portuguese, even from Portugal the accent is far away from that.

Could have fooled me. But thats kinda the point. If you speak any of those languages i guess it sounds off. But to other people it kinda sounds like it.

Pizza :D

The English was really good

The Hindi sounds more Tamil to me, something seems not right about Japanese but I'd need some Japanese speakers to confirm.

Raide

This is like what people sound like that are trying not to be racist, but do that funny made-up-word stuff to pretend what the actual language sounds like. Kinda like people making up words to sound Chinese or Mexican.

Alx

They should use such gibberish for foreign characters in movies, it would be less offensive than the usually badly spoken lines. :D

genjiZERO

Her Japanese doesn't work because she can't pitch shift. She also doesn't have the cadence right. Her fake Vietnamese was pretty funny though. The Englishes were spot on.

jerry1594

Could have fooled me. But thats kinda the point. If you speak any of those languages i guess it sounds off. But to other people it kinda sounds like it.
Nah
ЯAW;103260953 said:
If you are not native speaker then some languages can sound pure gibberish.
This I can agree with though. I have very little clue of wtf peninsular portuguese people are saying. Sounds like Slavic or something.
(Context being that I disagree with raiden but agree with ^ who is replying to portuguese IceCold whose wack language does sound like gibberish)

Watevaman

She has some good control over her tongue.

MIc68nx.gif

I always thought a good way of hearing what English sounds like to someone who can't speak it is to just turn down the volume so it's difficult to pick up.

I mean, that way you're hearing it but unable to distinguish what is being said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom