• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What foreign languages sound like to people who don't speak them

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry1594

You weren't the only one. I can't believe she didn't do German.

That video you linked is pretty good, btw.
I hate this video. Other people speak normally but they yell the German for funny purposes but that doesn't demonstrate very well how the single shown Germanic language is less pretty than the others (I count English apart because 75% of it's vocabulary is Latin french and Greek at this point)

genjiZERO

They should use such gibberish for foreign characters in movies, it would be less offensive than the usually badly spoken lines. :D

eh, I dunno know. I think you'd end up with a lot of "ching chong ching chong" which is super offensive to a lot of people. It's funny when South Park does it because they do such a good job of getting the sound right, but I don't trust Hollywood to be able to pull it off. Also, it comes across as funny, and I don't think you could do it easily for a serious film.

I hate this video. Other people speak normally but they yell the German for funny purposes but that doesn't demonstrate very well how the single shown Germanic language is less pretty than the others (I count English apart because 75% of it's vocabulary is Latin french and Greek at this point)

Oh c'mon. English is a proper Germanic language. The verbs are mostly Germanic. And anyway it's the grammar that makes the language not the vocabulary. Maybe English is just its own thing at this point though.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
There are a hell of a lot of people who understand a language who apparently somehow completely miss the point of the video, even though it's in the title. Yes, she's getting them wrong and you would know that if you speak the language she's impersonating. This is entirely irrelevant to "What foreign languages sound like to people who don't speak them"

Abounder

Banned
Her Japanese sounded fine for being a gibberish youtube video

I wonder if she took linguistics courses

eh, I dunno know. I think you'd end up with a lot of "ching chong ching chong" which is super offensive to a lot of people. It's funny when South Park does it because they do such a good job of getting the sound right, but I don't trust Hollywood to be able to pull it off. Also, it comes across as funny, and I don't think you could do it easily for a serious film.

South Park does poor impressions; the humor is more in its shock value than anything else (which I am a fan of)

Barzul

Wait she's from Finland? Do all people speak English in Finland that good? Fuck me her English was sublime. Like I wouldn't tell she wasn't a native speaker if I ever met her.

Kinyou

You could make a video response with

house - haus

mouse - maus

bed - bett

etc.

;)

German and english are a lot closer than one would think

jerry1594

Oh c'mon. English is a proper Germanic language. The verbs are mostly Germanic. And anyway it's the grammar that makes the language not the vocabulary. Maybe English is just its own thing at this point though.
I know it is but in the video they are grouped by sounds and not whether italic or germanic. Nowadays English is like 25% words of germanic origin, like 31% latin, 28% french, 15% greek and 1% everything else.
You could make a video response with

house - haus

mouse - maus

bed - bett

etc.

;)

German and english are a lot closer than one would think
Yeah I can definitely hear some similar words here and there but 3 out hundreds of thousands? I dunno

Yeah, that's what makes it funny.

I'm a native English speaker, but majored in German in college. This is how most non-German speakers view the language. It's not just the stilted, guttural sounds, it's also the ridiculously long names caused in German by commonly throwing words together (i.e. Kugelschreiber rather than pen). The video is overly dramatized, but again, that's what makes it funny.

genjiZERO

Her Japanese sounded fine for being a gibberish youtube video

I wonder if she took linguistics courses

South Park does poor impressions; the humor is more in its shock value than anything else (which I am a fan of)

I don't mean there good as in actually realistic. I'm mean they're good in that they've clearly listened to the language to get the feel of it. They're bad, but good at the same time - if you know what I mean. Personally, I think they do a good job with fake-Mandarin. They get all the 'shi' (as in 是 - shr - not xi - shee) sounds in. Their fake Japanese is pretty good too.

Abounder

Banned
I don't mean there good as in actually realistic. I'm mean they're good in that they've clearly listened to the language to get the feel of it. They're bad, but good at the same time - if you know what I mean. Personally, I think they do a good job with fake-Mandarin. They get all the 'shi' (as in 是 - shr - not xi - shee) sounds in. Their fake Japanese is pretty good too.

I see what you mean, and I did like the Princess Kenny board meeting scene.

Isnt one of the creators of south park fluent in japanese? Ive heard lines in the show that are actually correct. Theyre just voiced intentionally shitty

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
lol at her Japanese impression.

South Park doesn't do impressions. When the characters are speaking Japanese, that's Trey Parker (it sounds like his voice usually, and he does have a degree in Japanese too), they are speaking actual Japanese. It's really bad Japanese, of course, but it's intentional that's what makes it funny.

In the Royal Pudding episode, the Native Canadian characters were speaking an Athabaskan and Plains dialect.

http://newspaperrock.bluecorncomics.com/2011/06/native-canadians-in-south-park.html

Her being Finnish, I find it really tough to believe she doesn't have extensive experience with several of those languages -- namely Swedish and English.

Regardless, it's always a cute exercise. Americans, even from different parts of the country, will do very similar impersonations of what French or German or Russian sounds like to them.

ЯAW

Banned
Her being Finnish, I find it really tough to believe she doesn't have extensive experience with several of those languages -- namely Swedish and English.

Regardless, it's always a cute exercise. Americans, even from different parts of the country, will do very similar impersonations of what French or German or Russian sounds like to them.
She does have experience with both. That's why the mock swedish and english sound good.

genjiZERO

lol at her Japanese impression.

South Park doesn't do impressions. When the characters are speaking Japanese, that's Trey Parker (it sounds like his voice usually, and he does have a degree in Japanese too), they are speaking actual Japanese. It's really bad Japanese, of course, but it's intentional that's what makes it funny.

In the Royal Pudding episode, the Native Canadian characters were speaking an Athabaskan and Plains dialect.

http://newspaperrock.bluecorncomics.com/2011/06/native-canadians-in-south-park.html

Er, for Japanese I just mean they do a good (as in good/bad) job of the accent. Their Chinese is straight up gibberish though.

I can do a lot better Japanese.

Yeah, but what GAF needs to understand is not everybody has studied abroad in Tokyo and played Ni no Kuni for 100 hours in the native language. Considering she probably doesn't know 4 words in Japanese and probably doesn't hear the language spoken fluently but a few times a year, she did an okay job showing how it sounds to her.

EDIT: Yeah, well... the follow up video was a lot more daring and worse, I admit. In fact, everything sounded East European.

Ezalc

Her Portuguese was pretty far off, it sounded more like the Portugal version but even then. In the follow-up video she sounds better, but still sounds like the version from Portugal. Also she has a nice looking house.

Yeah, but what GAF needs to understand is not everybody has studied abroad in Tokyo and played Ni no Kuni for 100 hours in the native language. Considering she probably doesn't know 4 words in Japanese and probably doesn't hear the language spoken fluently but a few times a year, she did an okay job showing how it sounds to her.

EDIT: Yeah, well... the follow up video was a lot more daring and worse, I admit. In fact, everything sounded East European.

Who is this GAF you're talking about?

yZlhJYh.gif

ЯAW;103271012 said:
I bet. Her Japanese wasn't moe at all!

I'm more specialized in Kurosawa-esque grunting.

Malreyn

She needs to work on her East Asian...the accents and tones in the countries in east Asia are as drastically different as the various languages in the countries of Europe...the fact that she tried to do various languages from European countries, and just grouped "east Asia" into one language shows how far off the "east Asian" one sounded that it didn't even sound like any of the countries she was trying to emulate

RM8

Even though I'm okay at English, it still sounds like mushy, soft blabber to me, lol. You guys and your weird vowels and hate for the letter T among other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom