• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What foreign languages sound like to people who don't speak them

Status
Not open for further replies.
She's cheating a little, in some of them she's just stringing together real words she knows in those languages. Her Arabic noises were somewhat impressive (certain hard to pronounce sounds) but it didn't really sound like Arabic to me. Usually people have a similar reaction to Arabic like they do German, it sounds like a lot of yelling with all these throaty "khhhhh" sounds in it. I don't think Arabic sounds that way either but *shrugs*.

Miguel81

Nah

This I can agree with though. I have very little clue of wtf peninsular portuguese people are saying. Sounds like Slavic or something.
(Context being that I disagree with raiden but agree with ^ who is replying to portuguese IceCold whose wack language does sound like gibberish)

Sounds like Continental Portuguese is just too manly for your sensitive little ears.

She's cheating a little, in some of them she's just stringing together real words she knows in those languages. Her Arabic noises were somewhat impressive (certain hard to pronounce sounds) but it didn't really sound like Arabic to me. Usually people have a similar reaction to Arabic like they do German, it sounds like a lot of yelling with all these throaty "khhhhh" sounds in it. I don't think Arabic sounds that way either but *shrugs*.

depends on the dialect ;)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Her spanish was spot on, IMO, as someone who has been around old spanish ladies enough.

American-born Hispanic here.

Didn't realize the (US) english was gibberish at first >.>

That's weird lol

That's because about 40% of it is real words. (well, I can't remember, maybe not 40%, but a lot of it)

She shoulda stopped after the first vid, because she exposed that she actually speaks US English fluently, and it takes away the awesomeness of it.

Funny there are people complaining her portuguese doesn't sound like portuguese at all. As another Finnish person her gibberish sounds exactly like I imagine portuguese to be. Of course, if I heard more of the language I might say differently.

Miguel81

Funny there are people complaining her portuguese doesn't sound like portuguese at all. As another Finnish person her gibberish sounds exactly like I imagine portuguese to be. Of course, if I heard more of the language I might say differently.

The problem with Lisbon Portuguese is that we eat our vowels when speaking. We use less syllables so we end up speaking much faster than Brazilians. I grew up with the language so it sounds fine, but the more I look the more I notice how it could be incomprehensible to everyone looking in.

IceCold

The problem with Lisbon Portuguese is that we eat our vowels when speaking. We use less syllables so we end up speaking much faster than Brazilians. I grew up with the language so it sounds fine, but the more I look the more I notice how it could be incomprehensible to everyone looking in.

If anything it would sound kinda Slavic to non-native speakers, but not the way she did it. Not even if you consider Brazilian Portuguese.

Gustav

Banned
Did you manage to understand what she said?

Aside from her horrible Spanish pronunciation, I don't understand why we sound like that to her. I honestly do not know anyone that sounds like that. Or speaks that fast.

Are you kidding me? All the Spanish people I hear talk so goddamned fast, I'm afraid they might travel through time. Holy shit at that language.

i echo the sentiment that her portuguese accent is way off.

true. people tend to ask me to repeat what i say cause i speak so fast.
Lisboetas de um raio.

Not every part of Portugal has the same accent. It's funny I'm from the northern part and I don't have any accent.

Aside from her horrible Spanish pronunciation, I don't understand why we sound like that to her. I honestly do not know anyone that sounds like that. Or speaks that fast.

Not really. I could pull some words out of the sounds if I wanted to, but the point is that it was supposed to be gibberish. She probably didn't mean to make a word. Funny enough, I do know two people who speak that fast, but I have a harder time understanding them sometimes!

Kain

I only understood the insults at the end xD

RM8

"A huevo cabrón" <3

For the record, Japanese and Spanish do sound alike. Almost identical vowel systems, relatively few, rigid sounds.

jerry1594

Sounds like Continental Portuguese is just too manly for your sensitive little ears.
irjMuEG.jpg

This is what Spanish sounds like.
Maybe some secret dialect nobody but you has heard

Her Japanese doesn't work because she can't pitch shift. She also doesn't have the cadence right. Her fake Vietnamese was pretty funny though. The Englishes were spot on.

How funny do you mean? And do you mean her East Asian accent because I didn't see it actually said Vietnamese. I am Vietnamese and it doesn't sound anything like it.

About funny, I agree that it is, but because it sounds like Chinese mixed with Thai or Cambodian.

eso76

I thought a lot of her mock-ups sounded very Spanish, honestly.

Except for her Spanish.
Anyway, it's too easy to find inaccuracies for native speakers from all over the world, but it's still quite impressive that she can at least get close to sounding authentic in more than a few.

And she's hot indeed.

Baci

Banned
So is this or is this not racist. Where does this fall on the I should be offended meter?

J/k that was funny and interesting. She did a great job on many.

Jasup

I'm going to make an youtube comment complimenting her sense of humour and looks.
I hope she'll notice me

Tarsul

I'm going to make an youtube comment complimenting her sense of humour and looks.
I hope she'll notice me
you haven't seen the banana in the second video, have you? ;)

Her German was great. She uses different techniques for different languages (sometimes using real words, sometimes using certain sounds), she has my respect.

As a German I have to disagree with her assessment of Dutch: It's a funny language, sometimes couldn't stop laughin when I did a Dutch course (but this behavior was only amongst Germans, not among other foreigners^^). I love it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
French Canadian sounds like a mix of Russian and Native American. True story.

UK English sounds like German.

edit: Hebrew and Japanese and French are somewhat alike because of the vowels.

Toa TAK

Banned
Watched both videos. Apparently, that USA English segment is spot on from what I'm told.

And lol @ "Apologies to all the butthurt Brazilians" in the second vid. Plus the banana snap was AWESOME.

Glad I saw these, thanks OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom