• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the future generation’s Dire Dire Docks?

I’m 37, therefore the N64 is the apex of nostalgic gaming in my life. I’ll never forget the first time I relistened to Dire Dire Docks as an adult. It hit me like a tons of bricks like the scene in Ratatouille.
time travel animation GIF by Disney Pixar

There are some more recent bangers that still apply to my generation like Halo 3 or Skyrim. But I was in high school by then, less innocent and more responsibilities. But I’m thinking of what will be my sons Dire Dire Docks.

I’m pretty one day he will rediscover “Sweden” from Minecraft and it’ll flash him back to simple times playing the game with me or his brothers.

It has that somber magic to it that I know will affect him. Gaming is a time capsule for all of us, it’s amazing now and it was then, but I do find I am chasing feelings.

Dire dire docks is almost sacred to me at this point. A journal of pure feeling, Bering with my brothers discovering the new magic of 3d Mario.

I guess this is a question for the other parents on Gaf.

Cashon

Banned
This same thing happened to me a couple of years ago when watching a symphony play through songs from Super Mario 64. For some reason, Dire Dire Docks was the one that triggered that reaction in me as well.

I just wanted to say that. I can't answer your question.

Top Bottom