• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the worst farming/grinding you've had to do in a game to get an item?

Matty77

I usually like grinding, it's one of my favorite gameplay loops because I can put on a podcast( music, talk on the phone before pod days) and relax so while I have done a lot never really had examples for a thread like this until recently.

I decided last week to update my Diablo 3 from PS3 to 4 to enjoy and have access to all the content and new stuff. Bought it, transferred over my characters and then found I would have to start at scratch with level 1 no paragon no gear to play season mode so I have to grind up multiple characters from square one for hours if I want to run greater rifts on torment difficulties.

First time I have actually questioned it but end of the day I am doing it, just not going crazy with it,especially since I only play hardcore mode because it makes me play smarter and cut down on wasted time.

Tesser

The elemental types to rebuild Colony 6 in Xenoblade Chronicles. To get 5 of an item that has a 40% drop from an enemy that only appears under certain weather/time conditions in very specific areas of the World environment - said enemy not even dropping an item if it decides to do its self-destruct attack. As much as I love the game, that minute aspect can go straight to hell.

clem84

Gold Member
I spent 2 years, probably averaging around 5h per day farming for a Dragon Slayer in Legend of Mir 2.

So around 3500 hours.

What the? How... is that even possible? Is it normal for that weapon to be this rare? Did you ever think of giving up halfway through?

I'm afraid to ask but, you eventually got it right?

I've always loved grinding. I like trying to optimise and find the best method to obtain maximum results. In my head I'm constantly doing calculations of what I have obtained and what I have left to collect. I also enjoy being able to get ahead of the game by farming heavily.

So many of my favourite games involve a heavy amount of farming. It's why I'm one of the people who miss turned based battles. That shit was like crack to me.

blacklotus

Getting a Windforce from Pindleskin in Diablo 2...

... I got that as well. Was hard enough, it went like this:

in chat:

-Guys, i'm going to stop playing this game, so ill give all my stuff away. Ill create game/game so everybody join in:

*someones creates game/game and everyone enters besides...

... me and the guy giving all his stuff away.

-Guess it's just you then!
me: :DDDD

Got so much end game shit in 1 minute. Remember the Windforce being one.

Stiler

Classic vanilla Everquest.

Literally could spend days and days (in real time) camping for a spawn that would come up, lining up, hoping other players kept the line and no one screwed it up by tagging it or jumping line.

I think the most I've ever really grinded, was when playing SaGa Frontier. You learned skills in battle, and sometimes the shit just wouldn't happen. Then some skills can only be learned by using a specific skill, making it even harder.

Letting strong enemies bash your face in, trying to learn Kasumi, was not fun.

Then there was the Dream Super Combo, which required learning the Fighting skills Sliding, Suplex, GiantSwing, and BabelCrumble. Getting all four could be a biiiitch, even with Liza.

I loved the game so much, the grinding didn't bother me.

I love Saga Frontier, I'm really sad that they never released it as a playstation classic on PSN. I'd love to have it on the go

Piers

Any kind of card in Ragnarok Online, which offer bonuses on equips.
0.01% drop rate babyyyy

boss cards lol

Farming materials for the sword in Destiny.

That game had some of the worst grinding I've ever experienced. I don't mind grinding for stuff but when there's zero fun to be had while doing said grind it doesn't even feel like a chore, it feels like a punishment.

HylianTom

Banned
Hyrule Warriors. In order to 100% the game, you had to play as a Giant Cucco. And in order to successfully complete all stages as the Giant Cucco, you have to grind your levels up until you were powerful enough to survive the onslaught of the later stages. Hours of peck-peck-peck-peck-PECK-peck-peck.. never again!

TheYanger

EverQuest is really the only answer.

I camped the Jboots originally in Najena for like, almost a full day, and could NOT get them to drop when I was next in line.

Farmed Raster of Guk for my ROTLC for like. I don't even know. days of real time (spread out though).

Finally, went back when they introduced Fabled vanilla mobs, camped my Fabled Jboots for something like 50 straight hours. literally passed out on my keyboard while it was my turn to loot, woke up and they were all screaming for me to wake up or someone else was going to loot them, almost missed em.

I got the Time-Lost Proto Drake in WoW.

So glad I happened upon him right after WoTLK launched by just randomly flying through the zone.

My answer is the 4 map pieces for the Eyepatch of Plunder in Everquest. One of the mobs you had to kill I literally stayed up for 36 hours straight staring at my screen to make sure I got him. Fuck Stormfeather.

latest

dropped the Rabbit Charm

this fuckers item eluded me for years. by the time I did get the drop the price dropped from the 2million+ to about 100k-200k on the auction house.

Dingens

Too many Items, parts and recipes to remember in Lineage 2
My clan had to farm 5 recipes for bows, each of them had a drop chance of 1/8000
so... yeah it took a few weeks.
Then there was another item with 1/11k, I farmed two of them

I remember grinding for a specific weapon that I needed in Blade and Soul back when it first came out here in NA. I think it was called the blight bangle or something like that. I remember not getting it despite doing over 40 runs of that dungeon and then quitting the game sometimes afterwards from frustration. RNGesus really hated me in that game.

Soule

Completing the fishing achievements in WoW for the "salty" title. So many hours wasted on such a boring aspect of the game.

But I do love that salty title

I didn't have to grind for Darkmoon Blade. I got it through PvP. Sure it took a long ass time, but there was no way in hell I was grinding those concords with their ridiculously low drop rate.

sakuori

Getting a Lv. 90 Gold Weapon in a solo dungeon back then in Eden Eternal.

Took about a month and a half to drop iirc.

joecanada

Since destiny is a hot topic lately I'll just throw in there that I bought gjallahorn . But I did get another to drop too.

My pet peeve is games that don't let you transfer items like that or at least trade

MrWisker

Farming for pure blade stone in Demon Souls......still farming :(
Screw pure black world tendency and that black phantom black skeleton.

BTW, I really wish Fromsoft would have kept the difficultly of npc red phantoms up like they were in Demon Souls.

Lost Odyssey has some rough stuff if you want to max out everyone and get everything.

FFXIII - Getting platinum ignots (?) that were only dropped by those gigantic quadrapedal dinosaurs roaming gran pulse. I remember needing it for my last trophy. And BOY, was it a pain in the ass. One of those things could take 5 mins to kill, there's a decent chance of dying, and the drop rate feels very low. I spent a week killing countless of them.

This. However, I had fun when things went super well and I'd whup the crap outta those giant turtle dinosaurs. Especially when I could end the fight with Fang flying in the air doing her ultimate and that gong sound goes off. My team Fang, Light, Van made the battles always overly crazy.

Intense disappointment when the drop didn't come, but kinda thrilling at times. All for a damn digital trinket that really didn't mean much considering the level of ass kicking I could do without it.

Pizza

I keep quitting WoW before I get my time-lost proto drake

I'm so fucking close, I only need the weird early-in-the-year event achievements like children's day, Valentine's Day, and elders day(?) or w/e

WoW mounts have everything else I've ever done in game beat, tbh. I love my brewfest and Halloween mounts but I don't think I'd ever get them today if I tried

Fucking want that pink dragon though. I had to trick-or-treat in ALL of the inns. WoW holidays are so weird that I fucking love doing everything you possibly can for each one

Fuck the achievement where you have to throw snowballs at certain race/class combinations, and fuck the achievement where you have to do X things in battlegrounds while wearing a gnome costume you lose the first time you take damage. I spent much too much time in dalaran

KoL

Dark Souls 3: Farming the Silver Knights for the Proof of a Concord Kept.

Destiny: Trying to get the Hawkmoon and the damn warlock boots from Crota's raid.

You all don't know camping or farming unless you did it in old school EverQuest.

JBoots
Regen BP in LGuk
VT Key (fuck Maidens Eye)
PoT Access (fuck you Earth raid)
Rogue Masks

Sayad

The most farming I've don in a game is probably a competitive Pokemon team by breeding for perfect IVs(~300 hours in XY), though I guess that's sort of more than one thing.

Jabronium

All of EQ1.

All of it.

You get it.

I had just started college and had a job on top of a full class load. My other friends were a bit luckier and were able to sink 18+ hours/day into the damn game. Made it impossible for me to enjoy the game, much less get anywhere. Feels like I spent years farming CB belts while they were fighting the giants in Velious. I did wind up through some miracle getting my ranger his Thurg armor set and Swiftwind, at which point I had to sell him and quit.

ThisGuy

basically 2 months almost nonstop on a summer vacation to get a Skeleton Worker Card in Ragnarok Online

xTUcJ30.png

I needed 2 ... I got 1 and a second Whisper Card so I sold the whisper for cheap and got the second one because fuck this shit
God I loved that game. Spent ass tons of time grinding for various cards.

My hunter was king, my crusader was just fun.

Rogue/assassin were always fun to play with as well.

Top Bottom