• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the worst farming/grinding you've had to do in a game to get an item?

Rhanitan

Breeding pokemon with the right egg moves, the right nature, the right ability and good IVs.

Fortunately Its pretty mindless just biking up and down waiting for eggs to hatch so i could binge watch TV shows while doing it.

wrongway

Journeyman Boots immediately came to mind when I saw this. Glad to see them mentioned a few times already. I spent a couple weeks trying to get the post-nerf/relocated version of them. Never saw them drop.

On the bright side, I learned the valuable lesson that grinding for rare drops is for suckers.

31adbe059be592476914e3b313ae0457.png

:(

It was in Aion. I can't even remember the name. This big quest to get end game gear at the time. Had to farm on of scales in PvP zones, then craft them which had horrible proc rate. And that was just the beginning of the quest. Quit because of it.

Shame, the flying around PvP was amazing.

Sanctuary

1. Metal pipe from a Pawbuster in EQ. Worst, piece of shit farm I've ever had to do, and I spent over 40 hours doing it (while other people were getting it on average in under five). Kept getting a bunch of stupid "You're just doing it wrong" tells by people that didn't believe me, as if you could actually control what items dropped. Having the mob spawn wasn't the issue. The damn item just wasn't dropping period.

2. Flowing Black Silk Sash in EQ again. Sat in the camp for 27 hours straight, losing not once, not twice, but eight times to other people by always rolling the second highest. Some had only even been there for twenty minutes too! What kind of fucking probability is that?

3. Tier 2 (Heroic raid) upgrade to the axes I was currently raiding with during Wrath of the Litch King. I was still always the second highest DPS in our raids most of the time, but we had this particular boss on farm for months, and other guilds that were just getting their first few kills already had more than one. Guess I used up all of my luck getting the second Thunderfury on the server, after another guildmate got the first.

Farmed Raster of Guk for my ROTLC for like. I don't even know. days of real time (spread out though).

LMAO. I tried "farming" Raster too, but after losing track of how many days in that camp, without seeing him spawn, I gave up. Stopped playing for a few weeks, logged back in on my birthday in the camp, and there he was in front of me.

inthrall

It was in Aion. I can't even remember the name. This big quest to get end game gear at the time. Had to farm on of scales in PvP zones, then craft them which had horrible proc rate. And that was just the beginning of the quest. Quit because of it.

Shame, the flying around PvP was amazing.

Fenris set? God, the spawn timers on those thirteen lamps you needed was atrocious

And the 0.1% droprate item you needed 30 of.

I well enjoyed it back in the day though, there was nothing else like those fort sieges

dadjumper

I got the Ultima Weapon in Kingdom Hearts 1. I was in high school at the time and I skipped school for three days and grinded instead.

Ploid 3.0

The only thing I can think of are the trial weapons in FFXI, but I really enjoyed the process, and I didn't have to depend on a random number generator chance for a drop. I don't mind grinding in games that I enjoy playing so I can't really think about a worst.

Ultratech

I can think of a few things:

-Farming Osmose Tomes in FF2: This actually sucks bad since the enemy that drops it is relatively rare to begin with and then it's their rarest drop. It sucks.
Did it for one playthrough while watching a SVU marathon. Got 4 of them for the entire Party...may have been overkill.

-FFIII DS: Level Grinding on Dragons just to survive the Iron Giant fight. That too was tedious, slow, and not that fun.
They also dropped Onion Gear, which had a stupidly low chance to drop. Job Grinding tedious as well.

-FFX Legendary Weapons: Fuck that noise. Never doing those again. (For reference, this is probably the worst for me.)

-Capturing SS Cards in Dragon Poker: This too is VERY tedious.
For reference, capturable SS Cards in the game generally have a 0.08 to 0.10% chance to be captured/cardifed.
(Some cards can be Charmed, which increases that by 4x) Spent hours with friends trying to cap cards...ranging from less to an hour up to about 6 hours for a single card.
Worse run was one where we spent about 5hrs trying to get a particular card only to accidentally kill it. :\

How has nobody said the Sword of Kings from Earthbound? That took me days.

TBH, that one's pretty easy. 1/128 is much better than something that's 1/1000.
(Plus the Starmans can be easily ambushed. Not totally worth it though.)

Any materials that has a 2% drop rate in Monster Hunter games. I love Monster Hunter to dead but this shit drives me nuts sometimes.

Yup. Fuck the Desire Sensor.

Netherwing Drake in WoW.

Was totally worth it at the time though. Did come with some amount of bragging rights.

That and the other BC Reps were pretty tedious stuff.

Somehow I did most of those back in the day...

Zafir

Probably something in a MMO. I remember going for the drake mount in Burning Crusade. Sadly I quit the game for other reasons before I actually got it, but I still spent a ridiculous amount of time before that.

Outside of MMOs? Trapezohedron farming in FFXIII was pretty fucking ridiculous. I don't know how much time I spent as you tend to reload if it doesn't drop to save time, thus the game timer isn't accurate for it. I had really shit luck though and it took me quite a few days. I don't even know why I went for that platinum, I think I was just immensely bored at the time.

The full Judgement Paladin set in WoW. Can't even count how many times I ran those raids back during Wrath. It just looked so good, and I was the only one in my guild maining a pally at the time... Then I had to get the purple version later on too for complettionist reasons and whatnot, but i was lvl 90 by that point so it was way less trouble.

Gragen

Everquest, Vexthall key quest line. I joined a guild already doing the raid so I had to do the non raid parts on my own. Brutal, but no regrets.

Wood Man

Also Phantasy Star Online & Universe.

Played PSU online soooo much with my friends & brother. It was our daily thing for a long time. Now we don't play anything together. They're not even on my friends list....

Proof of a concord kept in dark souls 3. I was getting the shaft on the drop rate. I was averaging 1-2 drops every hour. Most bullshit grinding I've every done.

Final Fantasy XIII; grinding to get platinum. Getting it felt like such a hollow victory -- so much so that I instantly felt in retrospect that trophies were a complete waste of time. I shut off trophy notifications from that point onward and never paid attention to them again.

Gaming has been a lot more fun after that, so thanks (I guess) FFXIII.

I started to get trophy and achievement point burnout when I would look at guides BEFORE I played the games to chart how I would play so I didn't miss shit. I don't remember specifically what game broke me of it but I hit the wall with assassins creed IV. Random objects that exist just to take up time with no reward at all. That and Deus Ex. Trying to get the foxiest of hounds achievement and pacifist in one run. Just made me not enjoy it all whatsoever.

Anyway. I grinded a lot in wow. For mounts mostly. Things like the time lost Proto Drake and rivendare's death charger. I killed that fucker over 600 times. By the time I got it I didn't even want it. I barely ride it. I haven't grinded anything hardcore in wow since.

Meier

Probably Everquest. Dark Elf mask or some of the other items in Lower Guk. I don't really consider raid stuff the same since it's inherently rarer and less "farmable."

I never really bothered with the same enthusiasm in WOW.

I did a lot of shit in WoW before they made it easy. Farmed a lot of gold for the Druid epic flying when it was pretty rare to go that fast. I got the Chopper pretty early too. Everyone was asking how to get it and for rides lol. When it first came out it was like a separate entity that would take fall damage for you. Super fun.

I got the Phantom Bow in Battlefield 4. Cool but not great lol.

Meier

Journeyman Boots immediately came to mind when I saw this. Glad to see them mentioned a few times already. I spent a couple weeks trying to get the post-nerf/relocated version of them. Never saw them drop.

On the bright side, I learned the valuable lesson that grinding for rare drops is for suckers.

31adbe059be592476914e3b313ae0457.png

:(
I honestly have so little recollection of how long these took but I don't think it was nearly as bad as the DE mask. Same with my black silk sash, Ykeshas, regent tunic, etc. I can't recall at all how many hours it took.

The DE mask was so amazing. I was in DE form all the time. Became addicted to the ultravision. Just remembered the official name. Guise of the Deceiver.

mrmickfran

The Sai-Fung in Bayonetta.

To do that, you have to complete 100 missions. There's only 18 actual missions. So you just pick the shortest one and repeat it.

RockmanBN

Posting in a Runescape/Monster Hunter thread.

Desire sensors are a bitch.

Good news is nowadays you can get to a reasonably high level in Runescape without completely sacrificing every aspect of your life.

Which one? Cause most people migrated from RS3 to Old School once those servers came out.

Hardcore players in OSRS are keeping the grind real do updates to skills usually wont ever speed up the process, but are usually more afk or easier to do.

The Gold Saucer battle challenges to get Omnislash in FF7. It was annoying. I'd be doing so good, only for one of the slots to turn me into a frog and pretty much remove all of my attack options.

ghibli99

Recently, digging up all the 'worm' spots in Stardew Valley to complete my artifact collection. Everything else in that game is great, but man, that's an annoying system. LOL

Unbounded

Which one? Cause most people migrated from RS3 to Old School once those servers came out.

Hardcore players in OSRS are keeping the grind real do updates to skills usually wont ever speed up the process, but are usually more afk or easier to do.

RS3. I had my fill of OSRS back in 2004-2007.

I actually like RS3 better than OSRS. Being able to get decent levels with a somewhat reasonable commitment is a big part of that.

RockmanBN

RS3. I had my fill of OSRS back in 2004-2007.

I actually like RS3 better than OSRS. Being able to get decent levels with a somewhat reasonable commitment is a big part of that.

Enjoyed that part, but the ugly wings, particles everywhere, and MTX promotions every other week annoyed me to no end. Wish there was an option to disable cosmetics on everyone so I don't have to see that.

Worst grind was the 99 capes like said before.

Just remembered farming the Vault of Glass gatekeeper goblins/hobgoblins for glimmer with a group in Destiny. Such mindless grinding because of the bs glimmer cap

This thread is depressing

theecakee

Getting all 99 stats in Runescape.

Talking years, like 400 some days play time....granted I was probably AFK a lot of those times or watching stuff, doing HW, playing other games...

Question for everybody (might be worth adding to OP?) :

Was it worth it?

I think so, I enjoyed it. I don't wanna go back and do it again though but.

Kevdo

In Baten Kaitos some cards would evolve or change after a certain amount of real time passed, for example "apple" would become "rotten apple" after like an hour or something.

If you wanted to unlock the last few tracks in the sound test, you had to have a Shampoo card age in your inventory for 336 hours, at which point it would turn into a Splendid Hair card. It's not hard or a grind, but it does require you to leave the game on for about six times longer than it would take you to otherwise 100% it...

Ragnarok Online.

Combat Knife from Boss Sniper Cecil.

Anyone who played RO knows how annoying are the bosses of Bio Lab Dungeon since they're incredible hard to defeat and they appear randomly from 6 different classes and if it isn't the boss class you are looking for you have to kill it anyway to make another boss to appear AFTER the respawn time. To that, add you have to coordinate with some party to do the job and you may find another party trying to steal the boss and also the low drop rate of that item. PAIN IN THE ASS. I think my guild spent 8 months to get one Combat Knife for our Stalker Guild Leader.

I spent many hours of my teen years on that, lol. Exciting and frustrating task.

BeeDog

Probably farming for the Pure Bladestone in Demon's Souls. I'll never again put myself up for such a ridiculous challenge.

Also, maybe something from Final Fantasy 13 (like farming the Adamantoises).

ASaiyan

Banned
How has nobody said the Sword of Kings from Earthbound? That took me days.
My first playthrough of EarthBound I spent hours in that spot grinding for it and eventually just gave up.

The second time, we were livestream marathoning the Mother series and I was playing that part. It was the morning of the third day, I was delirious, and figured, what the hell, I'll try farming it. Found it under half an hour and literally screamed.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What the? How... is that even possible? Is it normal for that weapon to be this rare? Did you ever think of giving up halfway through?

I'm afraid to ask but, you eventually got it right?
Yeah it had a negative % drop rate pretty much...

I... i never got it :(

Nosgotham

back in OG ffxi, grinding a the sub job items literally took me days. everyone else got their drops. i was very unlucky

also grinding for the Summoner class took a while too

pretty nuch all if ffXI actually, but i loved it

Dragner

Voidtalon of the Dark Star in World of Warcraft.

A random portal in a random area at a random time.

So this is what hearthstone design came from...

For me it was basically mat farming in Lineage 2. For crafting you needed to be a Blacksmith, for the mat gathering a Scavenger, you cant have more than one job so you needed to make an extra character and that job doesnt have combat aplications...and leveling a char to max took months grinding 8+ hours a day and you needed a party with you since these characters were useless outside of crafting. Then once you have you characters levelend you have to farm de mats...you needed HUNDREDS to make a piece of a set...a set had 5 pieces...some of the mats had a 0.0x percent droprate.

But on the brightside if you had the guts to level a blacksmith to max you would become millionaire in game and wont need to farm anything since you could easily pay for the mats.

Unbounded

Enjoyed that part, but the ugly wings, particles everywhere, and MTX promotions every other week annoyed me to no end. Wish there was an option to disable cosmetics on everyone so I don't have to see that.

Worst grind was the 99 capes like said before.

Totally fair. I didn't even think about that.

At least it's better than seeing literally everyone wearing dragon chainmail with a dragon helm, dragon legs, amulet of power and an abby whip though. I'll take this over the same-ness that used to exist in OSRS. An option to disable cosmetics wouldn't be a bad idea though.

And don't get me started on the OSRS grind.

Fucking runecrafting.

Nydius

Gold Member
Vanilla World of Warcraft. Grinding Argent Dawn rep through the Gahrron's Withering Cauldron and Scourgestone grind so I could reach exalted level and not have to pay a single gold piece to be able to enter the original Naxxramas raid at launch.

Literally spent two weeks grinding whenever I had the game one. Anyone who did it even once will recall the horror. At least being Horde I didn't have to run very far to turn in stones and get more materials.

Hey, gold was worth a lot more back then and no way in hell was I paying the insane attunement cost for entry!

Runner up: Also vanilla World of Warcraft. Being in the Horde side guild that opened the AQ gates, and helping our Scepter of the Shifting Sands guy grind tens of thousands of Silithid carapaces in Silithus. This gets runner up because I wasn't doing it alone and as each person progressed more people were tagged to help. But it still sucked. All for someone else to get the rewards of opening the gates.

E:
High Warlord grind in vanilla Wow. Shit was 12-14 hours a night 7 days a week for 3 months.

Not to mention having to work with other PVP guilds so you didn't screw over anyone else who was also trying to grind higher ranks at the same time. Once I reached Lieutenant General on my mage and realized how much bullshit I had to go through just to level up and how many other people I had to coordinate with, I just said fuck that noise and went back to pure PVE.

ReMaKe

I usually like grinding, it's one of my favorite gameplay loops because I can put on a podcast( music, talk on the phone before pod days) and relax so while I have done a lot never really had examples for a thread like this until recently.

I decided last week to update my Diablo 3 from PS3 to 4 to enjoy and have access to all the content and new stuff. Bought it, transferred over my characters and then found I would have to start at scratch with level 1 no paragon no gear to play season mode so I have to grind up multiple characters from square one for hours if I want to run greater rifts on torment difficulties.

First time I have actually questioned it but end of the day I am doing it, just not going crazy with it,especially since I only play hardcore mode because it makes me play smarter and cut down on wasted time.

I kind of agree with you, that's usually what I do when I'm grinding, play a podcast. That's usually how I listen to GB podcasts. Speaking of diablo 3, is the grinding in it fun? I want to give it a try.

I'm seeing a lot of people mention Dark souls, which I can relate, I'm in the same boat right now. Did the silver knights, and right after the faron convenant. Also seeing a lot of destiny, the only thing with destiny is that the farming was fun in my opinion, as compared to literally just killing the same enemy over and over in dark souls. Also seeing a lot of FF, have never played some of the ones mentioned so can't talk about it but it does sound brutal.

Top Bottom