• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favourite controller?

Mine is the DualSense without a second thought. Smooth curvature, well rounded thumbsticks, overall perfect ergonomics. Sleek futurism themed colour contrast, haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, a touch pad and a mic switch. It has everything you need. I have no idea how Sony is going to top it.

8L5NxHk.png

Last edited:
I'm curious why you chose DS2 over DS3 since DS3 has the same general form but with wireless capabilities and analogue triggers. Not that your choice is wrong or anything.

I just feel like the DS2 was way better than DS3 due to there being no motion control. It was an unnecessary addition and made the controller worse. The DS4, I really love the touchpad and it felt like a much better improvement over DS2. Only issue I have with it is the 10 hour battery life but overall it's a great controller

I just feel like the DS2 was way better than DS3 due to there being no motion control. It was an unnecessary addition and made the controller worse. The DS4, I really love the touchpad and it felt like a much better improvement over DS2. Only issue I have with it is the 10 hour battery life but overall it's a great controller
Fair point. I didn't really notice it that much in the games I played apart from inFAMOUS though tbh, and I had a blast moving the controller around to control thunderbolts falling from the sky. To each our own there.

DS4 felt pretty damn revolutionary at the time with its touch pad, lightbar and options button but like you said the battery life was very short and DualSense makes it hard for me to go back to it.

Last edited:
Fair point. I didn't really notice it that much in the games I played apart from inFAMOUS though tbh, and I had a blast moving the controller around to control thunderbolts falling from the sky. To each our own there.

DS4 felt pretty damn revolutionary at the time but DualSense makes it hard for me to go back to it.

Yeah this console generation haven't interested me at all. So I don't have a PS5/XSX. I just have a gaming PC and Switch. Soon I'll get a Steamdeck OLED. So I never played on a DualSense. I heard lot of good things about the controller though

Robb

Gold Member
Just in terms of ergonomics the Series X/S controller is my favorite. But if I were to consider other features, the Switch Pro or DualSense would beat it.

It’s weird MS don’t include gyro, for example.

kunonabi

Wiimote and nunchuk. I had hoped the joycons would surpass it but they ended up worse in just about every way.

After that it would be the Wii U game pad, the Saturn, dreamcast, super nes, N64, virtual boy and original Playstation 1 controllers.

Robb

Gold Member
Wiimote and nunchuk. I had hoped the joycons would surpass it but they ended up worse in just about every way.
Loved that setup, I was hoping JoyCon’s would feel just like the Wiimote+Nunchuck but without the wires. Freeing your hands/arms was great.

But yeah, JoyCons aren’t even close unfortunately. And the pointer controls are way worse as well.

Hopefully we’ll see some improved JoyCon design for “Switch 2” though.

kunonabi

Loved that setup, I was hoping JoyCon’s would feel just like the Wiimote+Nunchuck but without the wires. Freeing your hands/arms was great.

But yeah, JoyCons aren’t even close unfortunately. And the pointer controls are way worse as well.

Hopefully we’ll see some improved JoyCon design for “Switch 2” though.

Like it boggles my kind that the joycons sometimes won't read simple button inputs if you have them pointed too far away from the system.

sigmaZ

For me it's the Switch Pro controller. I use it on PC all the time.
It just has a really good grip.
The ps5 standard controller is not bad but a lot of its technology feels unnecessary in the scheme of things.
Having the option of plugging in headphones into the controller is an awesome advantage of it though.

Kumomeme

8bitdo is good. especially their software. able to set macro or mapping the key via profile easily.

some of their controller version also allow to use either usb charged battery, AA battery or wired through usb cable. all 3 option at same time. really nice!

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
pigkUHy.jpg

There’s a clickiness and responsiveness to the buttons, especially without any input lag, which is just so much fun to play. The dpad is also vastly superior to anything that came afterwards.

While I do like the original Mega Drive controller was there a specific reason you preferred the older 3 button model? I remember getting the 6 button and using that from then on pretty much exclusively.

Exentryk

I used to swear by PS controllers because I preferred the symmetric analog sticks. But then I moved to pc gaming and DualShock battery life started to annoy me. I was also needing some additional buttons for screenshottng, video capture etc. So I tried the Xbox Elite v2 controller.

This honestly is the best controller I've tried. Amazing battery life, connects seamlessly to pc and doesn't require any third party apps, and comes with additional buttons on the back. It also comes with a different dpad option and allows various customisations like shoulder button depths etc.

The only annoyance with this control is the build quality control from Microsoft. I replaced 3 before settling on one and even that got faulty after a year. Now on my next one which has been great.

images

Last edited:

gtabro

Mine doesn't exist yet - the form factor of the Xbox One is perfect to me... however I prefer the layout of the Playstation ones (both thumbsticks down there). Actually the PS5 can be perfect if they make the handles even more at an angle (to match Xbox and the Switch's joycon one, yes even this one feels better in my hands when it come to strictly holding the 2 sides, the buttons on it, however, are a bit too small still).

Fredrik

Of all time?

Probably the Tac-2 or Wico Command Control. Depends what I’m playing.

For 3D games I’ve used a wired 360 controller for like 10 years, no batteries is great, or mouse and keyboard depending on the genre, nothing fancy there, need to upgrade.

Currently using a Nvidia Shield controller for a docked Steam Deck too and playing Hollow Knight without any issues. Just had to adjust to the ”start/select” buttons, 3 buttons in a row at the bottom and using 2 is odd, feels nice besides that, sturdy.

For 1st party non-premium controllers I'd say:

#1 DualSense
#2 Xbox Series
#3 DualShock 4

Don't really buy 3rd party stuff, but I do have a hori split pad pro for my Switch which is way more comfortable than those shitty joycons (I play in handheld mode a lot).

Last edited:

hinch7

DS4 for me for shape and buttons. If it had the haptics and improved triggers of Dualsense, plus back buttons.. that would be my endgame controller.

Mokus

For me Dual Sense. Recently I'm playing more often on the PC and really feel that something is missing while I'm playing games with the Xbox One controller.

Shakka43

Ergonomic wise I like Dualsense, Elite S2 and 8bitdo ultimate about the same, they are all great and comfortable controllers.

A Dualshock 4 with haptic feedback, adaptive triggers and back buttons would be the perfect controller for me though.

Top Bottom