• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favourite controller?

violence

Ranking!

6521143_rd.jpg

shopping

6532912_rd.jpg;maxHeight=2000;maxWidth=2000

For me, those are the only current controllers worth having.
I’ve been kind of eyeballing this 8bitdo controller. I’ve recently experienced stick drift on my series controller. I really want to try it before buying it though. I don’t like the face buttons on the pro 2, it just didn’t feel good for Mario world.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I’ve been kind of eyeballing this 8bitdo controller. I’ve recently experienced stick drift on my series controller. I really want to try it before buying it though. I don’t like the face buttons on the pro 2, it just didn’t feel good for Mario world.

I hope you get a chance to try it. I haven't come across anyone who bought it and was disappointed. Really is a fantastic controller. Solid, comfortable, great features. Amazing price.

Crypto Reaction GIF by BitPal

xrnzaaas

Xbox 360 had the best controller. Felt great, no gimmicks like the touchpad or adaptive triggers. And most of all it was indestructible - I used the same one for 6 or 7 years and no noticeable wear.

calistan

Xbox 360 had the best controller. Felt great, no gimmicks like the touchpad or adaptive triggers. And most of all it was indestructible - I used the same one for 6 or 7 years and no noticeable wear.
I destroyed one playing Halo - banged it on the carpet in frustration and it popped open and shat a rumble motor on the floor. Had a couple of others that got bad stick drift, so I combined the useable parts into a custom controller.

The thin triggers on the 360 pad were not so great compared to the wider ones on the modern controllers.

xrnzaaas

I'd say the triggers are a matter of personal preference. I've spent thousands of hours playing Forza games on the 360 and I struggled with them a bit when I launched my first Forza on the XONE.

FrankWza

Dualsense is the best controller but I did really love the Logitech action controller from the PS2 /PS3 days that inspired the dualshock 4. The dualshock 4 with backbutton attachment was awesome.

Underrated option is a DualSense with the extremerate back buttons and an upgraded battery. If you don't care about remapping l3r3, you can do this by just removing the backplate.
15+battery life and 4 back buttons. If you only want 2 back buttons the Edge is perfect feeling and performing. The battery life is offset by the modular options and trigger options.

Last edited:

Bungie

Xbox controllers sticks has always made sense to me, feels right. My current favorite is Razers latest Xbox Controller.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

4b5673e6f427e4fa7425254503f93ad7.jpg

The one and only zipstick. Ok it's one button wouldn't fly nowadays but this was an amazing joystick, rugged as fuck, and the clicks of those microswitches were sweet music.
Got to be the Kempston Competition Pro for me. Round buttons only allowed! ;)
They were rugged though ..if you threw one of these at a wall in a rage-induced meltdown you would be getting the builders in...

nick776

Dualsense is the best controller but I did really love the Logitech action controller from the PS2 /PS3 days that inspired the dualshock 4. The dualshock 4 with backbutton attachment was awesome.

Underrated option is a DualSense with the extremerate back buttons and an upgraded battery. If you don't care about remapping l3r3, you can do this by just removing the backplate.
15+battery life and 4 back buttons. If you only want 2 back buttons the Edge is perfect feeling and performing. The battery life is offset by the modular options and trigger options.
I forgot all about the Action controller. It was my primary controller on PS2, that design was good. Plus, it was all wireless when the pack-in controller was wired.

Codes 208

A Tier: XB1s, XS, DSense, 360 (with interchangeable d-pad)
B Tier: XB1, Switch Pro, DS4, GC, SNES, DS2, DS1, 360, xbox s
C Tier: N64, Dreamcast, NES
D Tier: DS3, Sixaxis, the duke

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Got to be the Kempston Competition Pro for me. Round buttons only allowed! ;)
They were rugged though ..if you threw one of these at a wall in a rage-induced meltdown you would be getting the builders in...
The mention of Kempton reminded me of another classic joystick - the Quickshot II.
I had multiple versions with the turbo being the pinnacle as it looked the most badass.
Quickshot_II_Turbo.jpg

ive used my pc one so much that the left analog stick is misshapen.
nubs are all gone, it's no longer a circle, it's a bit lopsided vertically, one of the sides is just starting to come apart a bit...

still feels great to use though.

Naked Lunch

2D games: Sega Saturn Japanese controller
All other games: Xbox Series

All other answers are incorrect.

There seems to be a lot of Xbox haters around the net these days - but it still has the best controller on the market, no contest.

FrankWza

I forgot all about the Action controller. It was my primary controller on PS2, that design was good. Plus, it was all wireless when the pack-in controller was wired.
It was first party quality. That was pretty much unheard of for a 3rd party controller back then

SolidQ

Still use Dualshock 2 from 2003 for every gamepad game. Also, Analog button save me, because pretty lazy devs can't add in metroidvanias switch between Dpad and Analog Stick. Only Afterimage add this option.

wipeout364

Xbox current controller not even close. PS5 feels terrible to me a huge downgrade from the PS4 controllers. The PS4 controllers were not well made though and I had several that failed.

The PS2 was probably the greatest controller at release. It really defined what followed.

The mention of Kempton reminded me of another classic joystick - the Quickshot II.
I had multiple versions with the turbo being the pinnacle as it looked the most badass.
Quickshot_II_Turbo.jpg
This MoFukka was the worst, it broke down all the time. Had to fix the springs every week, and at that time just ordering the lil springs was impossible.
Had to take the springs out, extend them and bend a new "hook" in them.
I curse this Joystick to the deepest pits of hell.

On topic current gen standard controllers:
1. Dualsense (no competition)
2. Switch Controller(Pro)
3. Switch JoyCons
4. Xbox Series ClickydyShit Sticky Controller

Last edited:

Griffon

Dual Shock 1/2/3 are my personal go to.
Gamcube controller is great for a couple of other games.

Some of the controllers I own are 20y old and still work perfectly, that's a lot more than can be said about shitty modern controllers.

violence

Tribute 64. My favorite controller… for N64 games. I’m only mentioning this because it’s is the only third-party controller that I use all the time. Feels great and has built-in rumble, with some tinkering and sketchy drivers, you can get rumble working on pj64.

zfjzRqc.jpg

Last edited:

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Of all time: Tough call here, but I'm going with the 6-button Sega Genesis controller. Loved that thing when I first got it!

Nowadays: Xbox Elite Series 2 for overall feel. DualSense is fine but it's the only controller in my collection that I've had stick drift on, and that's only after around 100 hours of use.
On PC right now, I have been using the 8bitdo Ultimate, which I like really well. The Gulikit King Kong 2 is also amazing. Both have all of the bells & whistles you'd want for a good controller that doesn't break when you look at it, or require a full expensive-ass replacement when you get stick drift.
The King Kong 3 is out now but I haven't snagged it yet.

BlackTron

Tribute 64. My favorite controller… for N64 games. I’m only mentioning this because it’s is the only third-party controller that I use all the time. Feels great and has built-in rumble, with some tinkering and sketchy drivers, you can get rumble working on pj64.

zfjzRqc.jpg

I find these various alternative N64 controllers can feel pretty good in the hand and are fine for Kart or Smash but the whole deal falls apart when it's time to aim in Goldeneye.

The GCN controller is not even as good as N64 at aiming in the same games (OOT). The stick design is far more durable yes but potentially sucks depending on the title.

Stamps1646

• DualSense - All purpose (PC and TV)
  • SEGA Genesis 6-button Arcade Pad - Retro (PC and Switch)
  • Qanba Drone 2 - Fighting (PC)
Runner ups:
Xbox 360, Switch Pro, Hori Real Arcade Pro V Kai, and Dual Shock 4

Last edited:

violence

By the way, anybody thinking of buying the 8bitdo ultimate. The $50 2.4g version was just updated with Hall effect sticks. I decided to get one. Seems less risky than that faulty series 2 pro controller if you want it for back paddles like me.

I find these various alternative N64 controllers can feel pretty good in the hand and are fine for Kart or Smash but the whole deal falls apart when it's time to aim in Goldeneye.

The GCN controller is not even as good as N64 at aiming in the same games (OOT). The stick design is far more durable yes but potentially sucks depending on the title.
I’d say R button aiming is much better than that brawler 64 controller but not as good as an official N64 controller. Goldeneye was the primary reason for me buying the tribute 64. I would love to have that official Nintendo switch online controller but not only is it expensive, it has issues working on PC.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I’d say our button aiming is much better than that brawler 64 controller but not as good as an official N64 controller. Goldeneye was the primary reason for me buying the tribute 64. I would love to have that official Nintendo switch online controller but not only is it expensive, it has issues working on PC.

I'm glad your controller's button aiming is better than some other off brand controller. That you didn't even mention the control stick in-game doesn't make me feel great about it lol

violence

I'm glad your controller's button aiming is better than some other off brand controller. That you didn't even mention the control stick in-game doesn't make me feel great about it lol
Typo. I meant R button or cursor aiming like here.

dkHNSGo.jpg

For the heck of it, this is the video that got got me to think the tribute 74 wireless was the best option available and got me to buy it.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Typo. I meant R button or cursor aiming like here.

For the heck of it, this is the video that got got me to think the tribute 74 wireless was the best option available and got me to buy it.

Ok thanks for clarifying. The guy did a pretty convincing test in the video. Even used my benchmarks (007 and Zelda archery range). Appears to me it's doing better than a real GC stick, probably the only one with the GC style I could tolerate using so far. He also docked points though for squishy shoulder buttons, shape/feel in the hand and a still slightly-jittery stick. For me dealing with the cable of the original is better than worrying about all the flaws and hiccups of various wireless designs (including the scarcity and cost of the official new one)

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
PowerA Switch controls. Although I agree that 8bitDo is a bit sturdier.
360 control was great but that could be nostalgia as I was that guy with the headset on too.
Runner-up would be a draw between Saturn or OG MegaDrive controller.

amigastar

I like the gamecube controller but what was up with the Z button? That was the best button on the n64 but the worst on the GC.
I might have said that the Gamecube controller is not the best design but the fun factor to use one is why it makes it my fav.
Edit: somehow my sentence makes no sense, lol. What i mean is that the GC Controller is not the best designwise but fun to use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom