• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favourite controller?

Roberts

Elite 2 Core by far even though it doesn't have the features of Dual Sense or even Switch controller (which I only had the pleasure of playing with for a few hours). Had it since day one which I think was September 2022. Had played countless hours on it and it still works flawlessly. Only recently I have to charge it once in four or five days.

I still use Elite 1 when I play co-op with my daughter. While it is great, it is not as good.

Hohenheim

This is my new favourite. Haven't had any issues with it so far, and it checks all the boxes for me. Yeah, I know it looks kinda silly, but I don't really sit and watch it while playing.
cxIO2sC.jpg
This is also really great, but lack the precice and gaming mouse-clicky face buttons.
Looking forward to the Elite 3 when it arrives at some point. Hopefully without all the issues the Elite 2 has.
RP93gku.jpg

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I do like most of them in some way or another, but they all have shortcomings.

The Elite controller feels good, but the dpad is shit, and face buttons good be better.

The Dualsense/shock have a great dpads and great buttons, but they are hurting my fingers. I seem to be the only person in the world with this problem, but the edges on sense/shock back where the triggers are keep digging into my middle fingers in a very uncomfortable way. Too bad, because the controllers are really good otherwise.

eqzuJgQ.jpg

So, for me personally, the Switch Pro Controller is by far the most comfortable of them all. But with a garbage tier dpad, of course.

magnumpy

Mine is the DualSense without a second thought. Smooth curvature, well rounded thumbsticks, overall perfect ergonomics. Sleek futurism themed colour contrast, haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, a touch pad and a mic switch. It has everything you need. I have no idea how Sony is going to top it.

8L5NxHk.png

they've topped it with an all black version. though admittedly appearance is just subjective, black is undeniably the superior color :cool:

Forth

It would have to be the Dualsense in the new cobalt blue.
Absolutely stunning and so amazing to hold.

clarky

Gold Member
I used to swear by PS controllers because I preferred the symmetric analog sticks. But then I moved to pc gaming and DualShock battery life started to annoy me. I was also needing some additional buttons for screenshottng, video capture etc. So I tried the Xbox Elite v2 controller.

This honestly is the best controller I've tried. Amazing battery life, connects seamlessly to pc and doesn't require any third party apps, and comes with additional buttons on the back. It also comes with a different dpad option and allows various customisations like shoulder button depths etc.

The only annoyance with this control is the build quality control from Microsoft. I replaced 3 before settling on one and even that got faulty after a year. Now on my next one which has been great.

images
This. Reliability issues aside.

Hate symmetrical sticks and the battery life on the dual sense.

I gotta say, this thing is freaking AWESOME.

SCUF Envision Pro

If you are a pc player and want a Dual Sense replacement, I cannot offer higher praise for this controller. The buttons feel amazing and the lag is almost non existent in wired and wireless mode (sub 3 ms for both).

Cons:
Dongle for Wireless
Only works for PC (none of my brooks adapters make this work on xbox, switch, or ps3/4/5)
Price

Hipster Cons:
No Hall effect sticks
Analogue stick placement

Pros:
Too many to list actually

MdTdAeF.png

But then it is as follows:
Switch Pro for Switch (or 8bit do ultimate)
Xbox Elite (the two tone white/black one) for Xbox
Dual Sense for PS5

Holammer

Playstation controllers from PS1 and forward. Every new iteration of the controller is an improvement and the current Dual Sense is a lovely chunky boy.
The asymmetric stick placement on the Xbox controllers is probably fine for first person shooters, but for everything else it fk'n sucks.

Hudo

The Xbox One controller.

But the original Xbox Duke controller has a special place in my heart because I used it to successfully fend off an enraged dudebro at a Xbox Link party, where I (unintentionally) proceeded to headshot him a couple of times in a row in Halo. Dude wanted to punch my brains out and I used the Duke to give that him a bloody nose.

Good times.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Switch Pro, Xbox 360, Xbox Series and WaveBird, in no particular order. Also loved the N64 controller at the time, although I'll admit it didn't age particularly well.

On the bottom are all PlayStation controllers because of the weird stick placement, as well as the Wiimote/nunchuck because fuck motion controls.

Fbh

I've never had any of those expensive pro controllers.

But out of the regular ones it's easily the Dualsense.
I think it's comfortable, just the right size and both the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers are great and actually do enhance the experience IMO.
The battery life kinda sucks, true, but my days of 6 hours long gaming sessions are behind me, so as long as I plug it in after every other session I generally don't have to deal with a low battery (also I do have a charger with a long cable behind my couch so worst case scenario I can just plug it in while I play).

Dualsense Edge, I've had scuffs, Xbox Elite's, every Dualshock, The OG PlayStation Controller, Dual Analog and OG Dualshock, I had a Duke OG Xbox Pad and an S revision, the 360 Pads, none of them come close to the Dualsense Edge.

I was a huge fan of the offset sticks of the 360/ Xbone/ XSX but having used the dualsense for 2 months and I switched religion.

It's one hell of a controller. I even went a step further and modded my sons DS with extremerate clickers and its even better!

sadmaker

Wii U pro controller > Xbox one > Xbox series > 360 > Dreamcast Madcatz 3rd party

Last edited:

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Tough to split them but love both Series and Duelsense, I dont care for the haptics ect but love the weight and feel of both

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Vectrex because it was the first console to have an analog stick.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Series controller, although it’s the only one I use.

If I had an 8bitdo it’d probably be that.

Mr Moose

DualSense, but the fucking stick drift... Both of my controllers suffer from it (OG white and magma red or whatever it is). Honestly hope they get sued for that bullshit, same goes for Nintendo/MS and anyone else who does controllers that drift within a few months.
Battery life doesn't matter to me all that much because I have mine wired.
Might get the Edge but it's ÂŁ20 per stick.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
8BitDo Ultimate Wireless Controller:

7ed541044f824681a083c9ffc67205bb.jpeg

Excellent build quality, Hall Effect thumbsticks, back paddles/buttons, includes a super nice docking station/charging stand, supports both 2.4ghz wireless for PC or Bluetooth for Switch. All for $69.99 (or $55.99 as they frequently go on sale at this price).

I swapped out the face buttons for Xbox style buttons on mine (you can buy them right from 8BitDo and they're easy to swap) and I've never looked back. Best controller ever.

Davesky

While I do like the original Mega Drive controller was there a specific reason you preferred the older 3 button model? I remember getting the 6 button and using that from then on pretty much exclusively.

I never actually owned one. I may be wrong but from my own childhood perception there really wasn’t much interest for them at all in the more casual UK market, at least the area that I lived in anyway. Gaming was still on the rise and most of the kids were just playing the platformers. More experienced gamers would just own a SNES.

Sushi_Combo

I think the Dualsense has been my favourite iteration from a Ps User however, they have yet to fix the piss poor battery life.

Iced Arcade

If I could mix the series controller and dual sense, that would be perfect.

Would be a chef's kiss if a controller had the shape, layout, none trash battery life, ergonomics of the series and the touchpad, speaker and adaptives of the duelsense

yanhash

This is my new favourite. Haven't had any issues with it so far, and it checks all the boxes for me. Yeah, I know it looks kinda silly, but I don't really sit and watch it while playing.
cxIO2sC.jpg
This is also really great, but lack the precice and gaming mouse-clicky face buttons.
Looking forward to the Elite 3 when it arrives at some point. Hopefully without all the issues the Elite 2 has.
RP93gku.jpg
We really need to murder the "gamer aesthetic", the turtle beach stealth ultra is so fire but the design is so garbage

Majormaxxx

Dualsense for driving on GT7. Driving games now feel wrong without haptic triggers.
Dualshock 4 -> better than dualshock 2/3
Series -> it is better than xbox 360
8bitdo sega
Sega Saturn Pad - it is fantastic for beat em ups like Final Fight and 2d platformers. It was re-released by sega years ago but the dpad had a plastic part that would break. Currently RETROBIT has modern versions.

Rickyiez

s-l1600.jpg

Although on mine I've rearranged the button to be like Xbox.
Best answer. It comes with a dock for easy charging, hall effect joystick which means no more drifting, asymmetrical layout which I prefer, easy to pair to any device with zero software issue. All in all solid build

Ya good luck topping that.

Dualshock is like a toy compared to a real device like this 🤣

While Xbox series controller is too prone to drifting

Last edited:
Top Bottom