• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Midseason TV shows will you be watching? - 2013 Edition -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Had no idea what to expect from Legit. The commercials were all pretty weak but the first episode was really good. Will be watching this one again.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering/returning today:

Nikita on The CW at 8/7c

Real Time with Bill Maher on HBO at 10/9c

Kristen Schaal: Live at the Fillmore on Comedy Central at 12/11c

Vert boil

Cool didn't know Maher was coming back so soon. It will be good to hear some new No-nos again.

Legit was fairly mediocre. It took until the hospital scene for me to remember the origin story that I heard on WTF.

Kroll show was better then expected but I have a soft spot for him from CBB.

ivysaur12

Banned
Legit was just okay, seemed extremely unfocused. I'll watch another episode or two, but I'm not really seeing where the praise is coming from (at least, not yet).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Legit was just okay, seemed extremely unfocused. I'll watch another episode or two, but I'm not really seeing where the praise is coming from (at least, not yet).

Same here. I thought it was decent, but it wasn't very funny (outside of the opening scene where Jim talked about wanting the hypothetical mother of his hypothetical child to die shortly after the child is born) and I thought that the stuff with the disabled guy in the whorehouse was really sappy. I'll stick with it, but I hope it quickly improves.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Ripper Street on BBC America at 9/8c

Reviews:

AV Club - Ripper Street

While there are some interesting ideas in Ripper Street, the show still lacks the spark to transform “interesting” into “thrilling.” There’s a thin line to between the two, to be sure, and as mentioned, anyone with a soft spot for the historical era and/or the rhythms of the cop show will most likely enjoy themselves. But there’s something very stolid about the show, in a way that keeps undercutting the lurid mysteries without offering any substantial depth in return.

There’s something laborious to the series, a sense of basic craft which makes it watchable while at the same preventing it from gripping the imagination. Episode two is a bit more loose, but it’s not quite there yet. In the end, the best and the worst thing you can say is that this wouldn’t be out of place on CBS—old school to the core, but without the characters or the charm to get full value for the years.

Tim Goodman - Ripper Street

Ripper Street is a well-acted, well-written and compelling mystery series. And even better, there’s no waiting around, wishing it would improve. It’s alluring from the start.

SFGate - Ripper Street

"Ripper Street" boasts superb performances, cast and production values, and, beyond the copycat elements, thoughtfully written scripts loaded with surprises and a compellingly complicated moral base: Virtually all the characters are a credible mix of strengths and flaws.

There's nothing terribly original in any of this, but if you go looking for original thinking in any TV series, whether it's made in the United States or the United Kingdom, you're quite likely to be disappointed.

Here's a link to the GAF thread

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

The Following on Fox at 9/8c

Reviews:

Alan Sepinwall - The Following

"The Following" is a show that's disturbing without actually being scary, and that approaches deep, dark subjects without having anything real to say about them. Williamson may have put thought into what this show is about, but what comes across on screen is an empty exercise in fetishizing the charismatic evil of serial killers.

Maureen Ryan - The Following

Ultimately, my dislike for "The Following" has less to do with its gore factor than with its essential laziness, silliness and pretentiousness. Certain aspects of the plot don't make much sense (it's not a good sign when you keep thinking of leads that the investigators ignore for long periods), but that's really the tip of the iceberg. "The Following" wants to tell, not show, when it comes to the creation of Joe's cult, and it expects me just to buy what it's selling regarding its superficial "killer Internet cult" premise. That's just one storytelling shortcut too many.

Tim Goodman - The Following

If you want some scares and Criminal Minds-level inspired sickness, you will find that in The Following. But no matter how you slice it, you won’t find a quality cable series hiding inside.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Same here. I was looking forward to it, but the reviews have been pretty discouraging and there are so many other shows on my plate at the moment that I just can't bring myself to make room for a potentially mediocre show. It's still on my radar, so I'll check back in a few weeks to see if it's improved at all before giving up on it completely.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

The Scapegoat on Ovation at 8/7c

The Taste on ABC at 8/7c

White Collar on USA at 10/9c

Wild Things With Dominic Monaghan on BBC America at 10/9c

Reviews:

Chicago Tribune - The Scapegoat

Based on a Daphne du Maurier novel, this made-for-TV movie strains believability at times.

Still, "The Scapegoat" is a fascinating exploration of the dark side of the self.

Entertainment Wise - The Scapegoat

While at times the story of two men with the same face may seem unrealistic, or the story a tad predictable, there really are enough twists and turns to keep viewers guessing at every turn.

THR - Wild Things With Dominic Monaghan

The extremely engaging Monaghan is the perfect guide for this fun, critter-filled series.

SFGate - Wild Things With Dominic Monaghan

We might not want to kiss a python or tickle the furry, pincered chin of a giant huntsman spider, but Monaghan's obvious love and respect for his little jungle pals alleviate whatever ick factor we may be experiencing in our living rooms. Funny, fearless, down to earth and informative, Monaghan makes a great host and guide and gives us a new respect and appreciation for nature's wild things - from a very safe distance.

Vert boil

You want the crown you gotta go brown.

blam1qkp1h.gif

Bobby B and Chelsea Peretti on top form.

The chicken bit was a bit lame but the Kroll show is good.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Returning today:

Beauty and the Beast on The CW at 9/8c

Project Runway: Teams Edition on Lifetime at 9/8c

Glee on Fox at 9/8c

Acid08

Banned
You want the crown you gotta go brown.

blam1qkp1h.gif

Bobby B and Chelsea Peretti on top form.

The chicken bit was a bit lame but the Kroll show is good.

Totally agree. Have grown to love Kroll through Comedy Death-Ray Radio/Comedy Bang Bang and The League. His characters are way more suited to a sketch than they were for his special(which I didn't enjoy too much).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

The Americans on FX at 10/9c

Reviews:

Sepinwall - The Americans

It’s been more than a decade since FX started making original dramas. Some have been great (“The Shield”), some have been brilliant but flawed (“Rescue Me”) and some simply not to my taste (“American Horror Story”), but all have been interesting in one way or another. Based on the admittedly small sample size of two episodes, “The Americans” feels like it could very comfortably slot in with the upper tier of FX dramas. That’s about as good as it gets.

Mo Ryan - The Americans

Critics were sent the first two episodes, and I was going to keep watching anyway, partly because Elizabeth and Philip are so good at deceiving everyone, partly because Rhys and Russell do a fine job of showing the cost of those deceptions, and partly because both are surprisingly convincing in their action scenes. But knowing Margo Martindale, formerly of FX's "Justified," will recur this season (she turns up in the third episode) is one more reason to put "The Americans" on the must-watch list.

Tim Goodman - The Americans

It's too early to really judge Americans against Homeland, but if the latter is getting away from what hooked you in the first place, then you might find what you're missing on Americans. Here's to more episodes, more espionage and respect for colluding against the enemy instead of merely canoodling with them.

James Poniewozik - The Americans

Maybe the greatest success of the show so far is that, after three increasingly strong episodes, it has a voice and a (secret) identity of its own.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Do No Harm on NBC at 10/9c

Reviews:

SFGate - Do No Harm

It can't make up its mind between its "good side" and its "dark side." Is it a gritty drama or a postmodern farce of some kind? The show is laughable, but I suspect the writers are dead serious. Pasquale probably deserves an award too, for making "Do No Harm" as believable as possible. He does convince us that he's Jason one minute and Ian the next, but then the absurd situations and moronic dialogue get in the way.

In the end, he's just beside himself. So are we - with laughter.

LA Times - Do No Harm

Unfortunately, "Do No Harm" suffers from a split personality of its own. Far more sentimental than thrilling — there are no real monsters under this hospital bed — it plays more like a mash-up of "A Gifted Man" and "The B— in Apartment 23."

NY Daily News - Do No Harm

You'd like to watch NBC’s new medical drama, “Do No Harm,” and not keep seeing the word “Gimmick” flash in imaginary letters across the screen.

In the end, though, the gimmick undercuts what could have been a decent doctor show with benefits — that is, a solid romance between lead characters Dr. Jason Cole (Steven Pasquale) and Dr. Lena Solis (Alana De La Garza).

Alas, there’s no escaping the gimmick.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

House of Cards on Netflix

Reviews:

Sepinwall - House of Cards

It’s a very promising start, at a minimum. The distribution model for “House of Cards” may be looking to reinvent how we watch TV, but the show itself feels very much of a piece with what we’ve been seeing for the last 10 or 15 years.

Mo Ryan - House of Cards

I've only seen two installments of the 13-episode "House of Cards," which will be available in full Friday, so I can't offer a complete assessment of the show, for which David Fincher serves as an executive producer and director of those opening episodes. But I can say that in the early going, it resembles the many other top-dollar cable productions we've seen in the last decade, for good and ill.

AV Club - House of Cards

As a solid, well-executed, oftentimes gorgeously shot series, House Of Cards is a smart move for Netflix. But as a game-changing piece of storytelling, it falls somewhat short of the mark in the early goings. There’s a huge ceiling here, one that I hope gets reached as the show reaches for heights as lofty as the prose put into Spacey’s mouth. But there’s also a chance that we’ve just seen the very best this show can achieve.

Tim Goodman - House of Cards

It’s a heavyweight new contender in the drama category, just as Netflix now is as a content provider.

James Poniewozik - House of Cards

After two hours, I was as ravenous for more scheming and cynical philosophy as Underwood tucking into a second helping of barbecue. Spacey (whose last regular TV gig was 25 years ago in Wiseguy) may well make him into the kind of classic antihero who is as fascinating in failure as in success.

Fry

So, besides The Following and The Americans which are awesome, what's the next good show to watch?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Spies of Warsaw on BBC America at 9/8c

Reviews:

Guardian UK - Spies of Warsaw

Spies of Warsaw appeared to have everything going for it: a first-rate Alan Furst story set in Poland in the late 1930s, David Tennant in the lead role of French military attache Jean-Francois Mercier, and a healthy production budget. Yet it turned out to be as pallid as much of the washed-out photography.

DenOfGeek UK - Spies of Warsaw

It’s good-looking, reliably done, and spy drama fans should find it a robust enough example of the genre. Judging by the first ninety minutes though, it seems unlikely to become a crossover hit.

Vert boil

Probably a better place to ask than the OT OT.

Was anyone planning on doing The Jeselnik Offensive OT?

Just looked through the OP and had a few ideas. I'll claim it in a few days if no one has piped up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom