• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What movie has the best acting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shut up. It's Glengarry Glen Ross.

glengarry_glen_ross_3.png
Jack Lemmon

Alec Baldwin

Al Pacino

Kevin Spacey

Jonathan Pryce

Ed Harris

Alan Arkin

Bruce Altman in HD

I get so angry when I watch this film because you know that if they just broke off some fucking Glengarry leads for Jack Lemmon he would have did it just like the old days.

Come on man

You fucking child

My phone auto-corrected 'Lemmon' to 'Lennon'. Someone pointed it out, so I changed it to 'Lenin' and 'Walter Matthau', thinking it would be funny, but apparently not.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings with my harmless puns, Bobby Roberts. I know how sensitive your thin skin gets when you see people playing on words.

Seriously, I know how it is, man. One time my nephew told me that 'a chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion', and I told him he was an ignorant piece of shit, because the poultry industry is really bad for all of us, man.

I don't like how Oscars get given to actors who go through some crazy transformation. It's like subtle acting isn't recognized anymore

That is like asking which raisin-bread has the most raisins - we can say that this bread here seems to have a lot of raisins, and that one there too, but we can't be quite certain which bread has the most.

With that said, your example wasn't bad. It has some great acting in it. But best acting, out of all movies? Too subjective. Can't say.

Ah well. Maybe I should have just, you know, shut my fingers. :p

Came to post Glengarry Glen Ross based on the thread title, was not disappointed that it was the entire OP. 2nd place goes to Grumpier Old Men, of course.

Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal is best performance of all time.

I don't know that this is the best performance of all time, but I do believe it to be one of the single best examples of Academy robbery ever committed

requiem6.jpg

The way Ellen Burstyn brought Sarah Goldfarb to life was one of the single most heartbreaking things I've ever seen in a movie. And to lose that statue to Julia Roberts gol'darnin' her sweaty, cheezy ass underneath some powerlines for 90 minutes is fucking horseshit.

I don't know that this is the best performance of all time, but I do believe it to be one of the single best examples of Academy robbery ever committed

requiem6.jpg

The way Ellen Burstyn brought Sarah Goldfarb to life was one of the single most heartbreaking things I've ever seen in a movie. And to lose that statue to Julia Roberts gol'darnin' her sweaty, cheezy ass underneath some powerlines for 90 minutes is fucking horseshit.

Is that the biggest travesty of the movie, or the fact that the only thing many people remember about it is the double ended dildo?

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
7-Glengarry-Glen-Ross-quotes.gif

If best implies most realistic/intense this doesn't apply, but I've always loved the characters in the Michael Caine Italian Job. Not the most serious roles or movie, but damn if they ain't some of the most fun to watch characters in film.

Is that the biggest travesty of the movie, or the fact that the only thing many people remember about it is the double ended dildo?

Goddammit. I actually knew a couple guys (emphasis on the past tense) who thought that part of the movie was legitimately hot.

"heh heh heh" they would giggle like Beavis & Butthead, "ass to ass, heh heh heh. That bitch from Labyrinth was fuckin takin it, dude. Heh."

Like, that was the whole movie, so far as they were concerned.

amaretto

Marion Cotillard in La Vie En Rose

Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine?
Love Cate but lol at that being an example of subtle acting. Theatrical, hysterical, loud and chewing the paint off the walls. Her performance in Carol is actual subtle.

I'd also like to mention the two leads in Carol and Blue Is the Warmest Color as acting peaks. In all honesty Rooney Mara may have given the best performance of the century so far.

Also Isabelle Huppert in La Pianiste and Isabelle Adjani in Posession.

Zakalwe

Banned
Aliens was serious btw, Weaver is incredible in that film. Should have won the Oscar.

Not only because her portrayal of Ripley is nuanced etc..., but because a performance
of that quality existed in the genre it did and helped defy the action film protagonist expectation.

Landmark.

EGM1966

Too many to mention and that's just English speaking.

That said GGR is a solid pick. Powerhouse performances in that one right across the board.

Trumpets

Becket.

Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton bring out the best in each other, and John Gielgud pops up in a brilliant cameo.

Also: The Master by PTA!
that's a pretty solid choice. Best in the last decade at the very least. Her would be a high contender from recent-ish times as well.

GGGR is a great movie, and it has my favorite performance in Jack Lemmon's magnificent career.

Zakalwe

Banned
Who else in that movie is turning in an above average performance, though?

Weaver carried ALIENS, absolutely. But there's no way that movie belongs in a discussion about "The best acting."

All of the films mentioned had mediocre turns from supporting cast, seems like an arbitrary line to draw, especially when the lead performance was so exceptional.

To run with you though: how many above average perfomances are required for suggestions to qualify?

PS - Burke, Bishop, even Hicks. Well acted support cast. Exceptional slime ball, very convincing artificial human, grunt with a heart. Not ground breaking, but certainly very good in context imo.

The rest of the cast were made up of dumb, mercenary fodder. They were supposed to be idiots, it's part of the reason they got decimated. I think they were perfectly cast for their roles, not going to win any oscars but they fit and did their jobs perfectly.

I think the film's a bit of an anomaly in this sense. Take away Ripley and you're left with the standard, but the way the film was written around her and the usual action film tropes and perfomances played off her inclusion was masterful.

Cameron at the top of his game. Never again, sadly.

When I think of powerful acting, I think of Paul Dano and DDL in There Will Be Blood. There's so much going on when you see both of them, doing anything.

In Plainview's eyes, you see the hatred and greed that he's trying to hide. It's really telling in how he composes himself when talking to different people and for how long the conversation's been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom