• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck is up with the input lag in Grand Theft Auto V on PS4??

Lol this thread is such a shit show. Rockstar isn't going to do a damn thing, the input delay is in place for a reason. Even Max Payne 3 (where the level design is limited to hallway#2 and cooridoor #4) couldnt get by without a input delay, no fucking shit an massive open world game on the same engine with extremely sophisticated physics, animation, and some of the best AI simulation isn't going to be as responsive as fucking call of duty, and it never will be. You can complain all you want but this will not be resolved, don't waste your time.

Stranya

I have GTAV on X360 and PS4, and I tested this last night (unfortunately I don't have a video to upload). Just so we can get it out of the way, I am obsessive about input lag, and both my TVs (a Panasonic plasma and a Samsung LED) both add less than 20ms lag - I know this because I chose them specifically for that, and did tests. Hopefully the following will make sense!

GTAV's right stick controls definitely feel like they lag, as the videos posted by people above show. However, I do not think that the problem is input lag itself (although there is a little bit of lag, as with all GTAs from 4 onwards); rather it is due to the way right stick/analogue movement/acceleration is calibrated. By this I mean in the code, rather than calibration in the options menu.

The deadzone in GTAV is slightly larger than, say, Far Cry 4, which I am playing at the moment. However, it's not much larger. You can move the stick in GTAV a little bit and still get a little movement.

The issue is that, in most FPS games (including FC4), there is a smooth analogue acceleration as you move the right stick. The "curve" is smooth/linear - you don't move slowly and then suddenly jump across the screen as the acceleration ramps up. However, the latter is exactly what happens in GTAV. As someone posted previously, the curve is not smooth/linear: you can move the right stick a fair amount but get only minimal movement. Then - when you have moved the stick sufficiently - you hit a huge (non-linear) acceleration point, and shoot off in whatever direction. So instead of a gradual and measured increase in speed, it's more like "slow slow slow slow REALLY FAST".

This can appear like input lag, but really it's because moving the right stick a fair amount only results in minimal movement; that is, until you reach the point where it accelerates massively. It's the case in first and third person, but is naturally more noticeable in first. It makes it hard to aim properly, because it is much harder to judge the non-linear "curve" than if it were smooth, resulting in more under/overshooting.

Just my 2c.

Edit: It's easy to test this: just try moving the right stick in one direction very very slowly, at the same rate - you'll see that there is a point where the speed greatly increases in a non-linear way.

Ateron

I feel like goku after training under 100G on the space pod. I'm rolling with free aim and getting gold on every shooting challenge. That doesn't mean the game doesn't have the mentioned lag, it's stupidly annoying and I can't help but blame the engine. My tv has 13 ms of lag and it's still noticeable, so no, it's definitely not our tvs. Some people may be downplaying this because, over the years, they got used to displays with shitty lag. I know, I played for some years on a Philips with an amazing 120ms of display lag so I got used to it. Everygame (barring 60fps games) was like gta for me.

But since I swapped tvs and got this one, it's been so amazing, every game is so responsive and it helps tremendously in every situation.Sometimes it feels like cheating. The only reason I keep playing this game on free aim is cause of pure stubbornness. I get the results I want, but no doubt you have to reaaaaally struggle with the controls and take more time to get them. But what's the alternative? Auto-aim makes the game play itself, there's no fun in that IMO. I get it that not everyone wants to play it as a straight shooter, and I respect every angle in this debate. But I don't think it can be argued that having input lag is beneficial to any kind of game.

It's kinda sad that R* keeps quiet about this, and keeps making gtas built around auto aim. This may be their way to circumvent the input lag, probably caused by the engine. Don't see that changing anytime soon :(

Ateron

The issue is that, in most FPS games (including FC4), there is a smooth analogue acceleration as you move the right stick. The "curve" is smooth/linear - you don't move slowly and then suddenly jump across the screen as the acceleration ramps up. However, the latter is exactly what happens in GTAV. As someone posted previously, the curve is not smooth/linear: you can move the right stick a fair amount but get only minimal movement. Then - when you have moved the stick sufficiently - you hit a huge (non-linear) acceleration point, and shoot off in whatever direction. So instead of a gradual and measured increase in speed, it's more like "slow slow slow slow REALLY FAST".

This can appear like input lag, but really it's because moving the right stick a fair amount only results in minimal movement; that is, until you reach the point where it accelerates massively. It's the case in first and third person, but is naturally more noticeable in first. It makes it hard to aim properly, because it is much harder to judge the non-linear "curve" than if it were smooth, resulting in more under/overshooting.

Just my 2c.

Edit: It's easy to test this: just try moving the right stick in one direction very very slowly, at the same rate - you'll see that there is a point where the speed greatly increases in a non-linear way.

I think you're spot on, the acceleration is atrocious in this game. It takes a while to get used to its quirks, so in the first half a dozen hours I was still trying to get warmed up to it. I kept under/over compensating shots, because of that halfway point where the reticule just goes Sonic on me and you miss. The alternative is to dial the sensitivity real slow, but that makes shooting moving targets with any kind of precision an impossibility at times (sometimes they move faster than the fucking reticule can keep up with). If you set it too high, it's a disaster for long range shootouts. Any setting I choose sucks at some level.

I kinda got used to it, but it still sucks. For all the things WD did wrong, the aiming was a LOT better, even though it had a slight touch of aim assist that you couldn't turn off, but even when aiming at a wall, for example, was good enough to tell you really wouldn't need it. I think it's a bit unfair to compare gta V to another shooter, say, TR:DE, because of the fps difference. But watch dogs is the perfect comparison and it plays so much better, combat wise.

Wavebossa

How are people this oblivious?

I've noticed that when it comes to technical things, a surprisingly high number of GAFers are completely oblivious.

Fps/Resolution/Input Lag etc, etc. You really shouldn't need Digital Foundry to tell you that you're playing a game that dips into 15fps... Like, people really can't notice these things with their own two eyes?

I have GTAV on X360 and PS4, and I tested this last night (unfortunately I don't have a video to upload). Just so we can get it out of the way, I am obsessive about input lag, and both my TVs (a Panasonic plasma and a Samsung LED) both add less than 20ms lag - I know this because I chose them specifically for that, and did tests. Hopefully the following will make sense!

GTAV's right stick controls definitely feel like they lag, as the videos posted by people above show. However, I do not think that the problem is input lag itself (although there is a little bit of lag, as with all GTAs from 4 onwards); rather it is due to the way right stick/analogue movement/acceleration is calibrated. By this I mean in the code, rather than calibration in the options menu.

The deadzone in GTAV is slightly larger than, say, Far Cry 4, which I am playing at the moment. However, it's not much larger. You can move the stick in GTAV a little bit and still get a little movement.

Just my 2c.

Yeah when i played i noticed it but i figured it's Rockstar.. they probably want the gamer to feel this way or something.

Did people try the difference between first person and third person and between different deadzone settings?

Lol, some of the other theories in this thread >D

Thrakier

I've noticed that when it comes to technical things, a surprisingly high number of GAFers are completely oblivious.

Fps/Resolution/Input Lag etc, etc. You really shouldn't need Digital Foundry to tell you that you're playing a game that dips into 15fps... Like, people really can't notice these things with their own two eyes?

They can't, because they are conditioned. On the one hand they are conditioned by marketing to value graphical fidelity more than everything else, so they notice less when a game plays like shit as long as it looks pretty. On the other hand, they are conditioned over time to accept low framerates and shit playability as a standard, because that is what most developers provide since more than a decade.

It's a downward spiral and there is no escape. Only VR can rescue us.

Just my 2c.

The problem is not just the acceleration. For example look at my original video, how do you explain that when I let go of the stick, the view keeps moving for 4 frames and then abruptly stops? This is not acceleration/deceleration. It goes from full speed to hard stop in a single frame, exactly 4 frames after I've let go of the stick. This is input lag.

Lol this thread is such a shit show. Rockstar isn't going to do a damn thing, the input delay is in place for a reason. Even Max Payne 3 (where the level design is limited to hallway#2 and cooridoor #4) couldnt get by without a input delay, no fucking shit an massive open world game on the same engine with extremely sophisticated physics, animation, and some of the best AI simulation isn't going to be as responsive as fucking call of duty, and it never will be. You can complain all you want but this will not be resolved, don't waste your time.

GTA has input lag because Rockstar didn't implement proper controls, not because it's a complex game.

No input lag on my side. I have a cheap Emerson LCD and have had no problems with the way GTA V controls. Once you get used to the weight, it becomes second nature. I actually find that the Remaster controls two-fold better than the PS3 version. Now that controlled like shit.

No input lag on my side. I have a cheap Emerson LCD and have had no problems with the way GTA V controls. Once you get used to the weight, it becomes second nature.

The feel of weight IS the problem. The fact that you're saying you feel that weight means you're experiencing input lag, so you can't say the problem is not there. The fact that you say "Once you get used to it" means there is a problem. You shouldn't have to get used to input lag, it just shouldn't be there in the first place.

Stranya

The problem is not just the acceleration. For example look at my original video, how do you explain that when I let go of the stick, the view keeps moving for 4 frames and then abruptly stops? This is not acceleration/deceleration. It goes from full speed to hard stop in a single frame, exactly 4 frames after I've let go of the stick. This is input lag.
Oh I agree that there is some lag. I just feel that whatever lag there is, is compounded by the analogue acceleration. But either way, it's bad.

The feel of weight IS the problem. The fact that you're saying you feel that weight means you're experiencing input lag, so you can't say the problem is not there. The fact that you say "Once you get used to it" means there is a problem. You shouldn't have to get used to input lag, it just shouldn't be there in the first place.

I'm referring to the weight of the controls because of the Euphoria engine which governs weight, body control, and motor control of playable characters and NPCs. That's where the weight is coming from.

R* has used this in their games since GTA IV.

I don't think it is a problem R* intends to fix. I was under the impression that the game mechanics were designed for third-person auto-aim and even with the introduction of 1st person, it was still that only with a different camera view. The game wasn't designed to play like far cry, it's just a camera view. The gameplay is still an auto-aim shooter. I did certainly notice lag when trying to free aim, but not to the extreme of the OP. Would be nice if they tweaked free aim though.

I wake up and STILL see apologists/deniers? Christ almighty, man. Will complex, thorough frame analysis change people's minds? Is a video with demonstrable proof from several different people not good enough?

I swear.

Some people may be experiencing something different. I doubt everyone got together and decided to lie about not experiencing the problem. You see almost as many people saying they don't have the problem tbh.

I wake up and STILL see apologists/deniers? Christ almighty, man. Will complex, thorough frame analysis change people's minds? Is a video with demonstrable proof from several different people not good enough?

I swear.

Wavebossa

I'm referring to the weight of the controls because of the Euphoria engine which governs weight, body control, and motor control of playable characters and NPCs. That's where the weight is coming from.

R* has used this in their games since GTA IV.

Moving your analog stick and having the character do nothing for 133ms is not weight. Weight could be represented in lower acceleration (or lower jerk depending on the intended feel) but not in absolute stillness. There is input lag and there is a rather large deadzone.

It exists people.

angrygnat

Got the PS4 version. Tried it a few times from first person but I felt like it restricted my view too much so I just played from the traditional third person view. I have to say I may have noticed a little lag but it didn't bother me or affect my experience. GTA game controls have always seemed a bit sloppy to me anyway.

Got the PS4 version. Tried it a few times from first person but I felt like it restricted my view too much so I just played from the traditional third person view. I have to say I may have noticed a little lag but it didn't bother me or affect my experience. GTA game controls have always seemed a bit sloppy to me anyway.

There's an FOV slider. Turn it all the way up and you'll notice that first-person mode looks... Cramped as hell still, heh.

Did you try increasing the field of view? That helps a lot.

ryuken-d

Is your TV in PC/Game mode?

I don't get input lag, but the movement does have more weight to it than I'd like.

I just got a new tv and I haven't tried game mode yet but I don't remember anything more than the classic clunky GTA movements. I'm playing it all FPS and so far I'm a little disappointed.

Lol, okay then, you sure sound like you know your stuff, thanks for clearing that up.

People....

To be fair, neither of is has any evidence to back up our respective opinions. I'm merely using the comparatively flawless controls of every other complex open world game as anecdotal evidence.

tassletine

Rockstar are very lazy when it comes to changing much about how their games play, probably because they have the no1 game on the planet so they don't have to, or see it (because of positive feedback) as being correct.

Personally I think every aspect of the way their games play is sub par. The only exceptional thing about their titles is the size, the graphics, and world detail. They are leagues ahead in that regard. Everything else is average to poor.

To be fair, neither of is has any evidence to back up our respective opinions. I'm merely using the comparatively flawless controls of every other complex open world game as anecdotal evidence.
which ones are these?
do they use euphoria?
do they have loads of post processing effects?
what is the extent of their complexity?

there are plenty of things that could cause input lag. it's not the open world in and of itself causing it. it's probably got to do with how the scene is rendered (like with KZ2 and its 'weight' caused by ludicrous post-processing adding latency) and with how the character animates.

Haxxona

Banned
The gqme has crappy input lag and having the best monitor/tv wont make a difference. The deadzone is just icing on the cake. Came back to gta5 after playing bf4 for a week and the difference in responsiveness is really big and not because of 30 vs unlocked60 but because of gta5s horrible implementation.

scitek

Mine is like that also, and every other game plays just fine. Definitely not a controller issue.

Would you be kind enough to post a video of you doing the same thing?

I've noticed crazy input lag like that when paying The Last of Us Remastered in 30fps. Otherwise, it's rare for a console game.

I can cause it on pc, though.

Fair enough, I just dont think "different" equates to "bad".
I like the floaty controls, makes you feel like a puppeteer directing a meat-marrionette rather than just a point flawlessly sliding along an axis with zero imperfections.

There is defintely a problem with first person aiming, but as for everything else, it's the way the game was designed, it's not an oversight.

heyf00L

which ones are these?
do they use euphoria?
do they have loads of post processing effects?
what is the extent of their complexity?

there are plenty of things that could cause input lag. it's not the open world in and of itself causing it. it's probably got to do with how the scene is rendered (like with KZ2 and its 'weight' caused by ludicrous post-processing adding latency) and with how the character animates.

I have no doubt that it's Euphoria causing this. Euphoria takes a long time to process the various inputs and make an animation out of them.

It has nothing to do with the size or complexity of the game or post processing effects. None of that stuff would produce input lag.

Moving your analog stick and having the character do nothing for 133ms is not weight. Weight could be represented in lower acceleration (or lower jerk depending on the intended feel) but not in absolute stillness. There is input lag and there is a rather large deadzone.

It exists people.

Nevermind didn't do the right math.

It has nothing to do with the size or complexity of the game or post processing effects. None of that stuff would produce input lag.
All of those things can potentially result in input latency. What do you think created latency in the PS3 Killzone games?

heyf00L

All of those things can potentially result in input latency. What do you think created latency in the PS3 Killzone games?

No they can't. It entirely comes down to animations. In GTA's case, animation is tied to physics through Euphoria.

All games will receive the input at the same time. If there's lag, it's either intentional or the game takes a while to figure out what to do with that input. What would cause that? Not the size of the world or effects (unless those things cause framerate drops of course, but that's not the issue here).

In Killzone, I don't know. I didn't play it, but Googling suggests it was intentional and mostly fixed in KZ3.

No they can't. It entirely comes down to animations. In GTA's case, animation is tied to physics through Euphoria.

In Killzone, I don't know. I didn't play it, but Googling suggests it was intentional and mostly fixed in KZ3.

Then how do you explain lnput lag in other non-Euphoria games then? Perfect Dark Zero had pretty horrible input lag.

heyf00L

Then how do you explain lnput lag in other non-Euphoria games then? Perfect Dark Zero had pretty horrible input lag.

"graphics" will only cause lag if it's causing framerate drops. Otherwise having large, shiny objects has nothing to do with animation.

For any game with input lag it's either a bug, part of the game design, or due to a slow animation system (which might be tied to physics).

Big and small, simple or complex games can have slow animation and/or slow physics.

Clockwork5

Yes. There is noticeable input lag in GTA5. It is there. There is also a significant dead zone and an absurdly unintuitive camera movement curve.

Only bothers me in first person view so i still play in third person and use auto lock during combat.

"graphics" will only cause lag if it's causing framerate drops. Otherwise having large, shiny objects has nothing to do with animation.

For any game with input lag it's either a bug, part of the game design, or due to a slow animation system (which might be tied to physics).

Big and small, simple or complex games can have slow animation and/or slow physics.

Any post-processing effect can add input lag. Take motion blur for example... Most will code it by buffering two frames and calculating the resulting difference between the two frames and applying a filter to that to add the motion blur. In that case you've already create 2 frames of input lag because you're buffering frames and not displaying them immediately.

All games will receive the input at the same time. If there's lag, it's either intentional or the game takes a while to figure out what to do with that input. What would cause that? Not the size of the world or effects (unless those things cause framerate drops of course, but that's not the issue here).

It doesn't come entirely down to animations. At least not if you're speaking generally. In most shooter games (especially hitscan FPSes where you're essentially controlling a floating camera with a gun strapped to it) your player character's animations rarely if ever interfere with your control or relate to your control as intrinsically as with this game. The closest thing I can even think of to this is Arma 3.

In Killzone's case, the game had huge amounts of post processing which created a noticeable delay between your input and an on-screen response. Of course it was intentional, but not in the way that a lot of apologists would argue back then ("it's just weight") - Guerrilla had a lot riding on this game's visuals and just put priority on them over responsiveness of control, and the amount of shit applied to each frame caused responsiveness issues. The game was balanced fine around it, though, and multiplayer was a blast so like GTA V I mostly give it a pass.

in Killzone 3's case if you compare it against KZ2 or that KZ Bullet demo it's pretty clear they've pared back a lot of their post processing in favor of other visual effects and enhancements and that's likely a big reason why the game controls a bit more smoothly.

FinKL

Just my 2c.

Great observation. Does this occur on both 360/PS4? Either way, I think it would be present in the PC version I'm looking to pick up

So I finally got a reply back from Rockstar Support.

aQVzPTW.png

I basically told him that every other game I own controls fine with the exact same controller, gave him the link to this thread, and asked if Rockstar are aware of this issue and/or are planning to fix it.

So I finally got a reply back from Rockstar Support.

aQVzPTW.png

I basically told him that every other game I own controls fine with the exact same controller, gave him the link to this thread, and asked if Rockstar are aware of this issue and/or are planning to fix it.

This is their response AFTER having told them that, or...?

Top Bottom