• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck is up with the input lag in Grand Theft Auto V on PS4??

Mr E.

I'm going to contact them via their site now and provide all of the evidence in this thread and ask them if they would look into it.

Is there any way to contact specific people?

Edit: I don't think there is. I'm just going to send them a message using the 'Contact Us' tab.
I think that's a good call. Hopefully a simple patch may suffice.

Mr E.

Probably not since they never mention the shit in their initial reviews. They fucking reviewed the grass on both consoles and somehow miss this mess.
Not sticking up for them but there's people in this thread not seeing it either.

I've bought the PS4 bundle for my son for Xmas so I'm just curious. Seeing the vids here I'm believing there is an issue but others who have it say there isn't.

Hollow

No I am absolutely not having this kind of delay between pressing a button and seeing movement. I wouldn't play if I was, that's horrid. I mean, I really hope rs can address it for those having the problem but regardless it is not affecting my copy of the game, at all.

Wish I had your super special copy of GTAV.

DMAmul

Neo Member
Would be interesting to see a comparison GIF of the PS3 version vs PS4, to see if there really is a difference in input lag compared to last-gen.

Ok, I've sent the message to Eurogamer/DF.

I ended the message with - "Save us, Eurogamer, you're our only hope". Lol.

Now we wait...

Hollow

Ok, I've sent the message to Eurogamer/DF.

I ended the message with - "Save us, Eurogamer, you're our only hope". Lol.

Now we wait...

post-49639-spongebob-waiting-gif-Imgur-co-tfl3.gif

terrible

Banned
Yeah the aiming controls are really awful. If it wasn't for the lock-on aiming it wouldn't be playable for me. It's a nightmare trying to free aim.

Or perhaps my tv? Again, obviously there is an issue with this game. No denying that. But denying that some people aren't having it is just sooooooo dumb.

Aren't having issues =/= not noticing them.

Carrying on posting, blaming people's TV's, and not posting any evidence to prove your claims is sooooooo dumb.

Thanks Lukas.

No problem. I love this game to death, it has barely left my PS4 since it released, and the game is not unplayable for me. But I just want the controls to be better so I can love it even more.

heyf00L

Or perhaps my tv? Again, obviously there is an issue with this game. No denying that. But denying that some people aren't having it is just sooooooo dumb.

Why is that? No one has shown any evidence that they don't have input lag. All we have is their word.

So there are two explanations: something optional is causing it OR some people don't notice it.

The simpler explanation is that some people don't notice it. And it'd be a waste of time right now to try to figure out the cause if we have no evidence that there even is a cause that can be fixed.

Sure, it could be something like installing to the harddrive (a la Xbox 360s problems with the game) cause the problem. But we have nothing to go on so far! Everyone who has posted a video, even the guy saying "I don't see the problem" has shown serious input lag.

Hollow

Denying that no other game on the same system, same TV and same input settings doesn't have this issue is just as idiotic.

Bringing up your "basic troubleshooting logic" from the last page would dictate that it is the software (GTAV) that is the source of the issue if all other variables remain intact.

Not sure why this is so hard for you to accept.

Denying that no other game on the same system, same TV and same input settings doesn't have this issue is just as idiotic.

Bringing up your "basic troubleshooting logic" from the last page would dictate that it is the software (GTAV) that is the source of the issue if all other variables remain intact.

Not sure why this is so hard for you to accept.
Because some software will work differently with different hardware configurations, as evidenced by the fact that many of us aren't having the issue. I'm not saying it's not a problem rockstar shouldn't be trying to fix, but it's a problem I have not encountered. How hard is that to grasp?

Thrakier

I have no means of posting a video. I don't card if you don't believe me and everybody else that isn't having the issue. You're having the issue, it's your problem. I understand that getting a new tv isn't a viable option for everybody, nor should it be. But at least try setting the tv mode to 'gaming' instead of just blindingly insisting that it won't help?

NeoGAF worst post 2014 candidate.

Because some software will work differently with different hardware configurations, as evidenced by the fact that many of us aren't having the issue. I'm not saying it's not a problem rockstar shouldn't be trying to fix, but it's a problem I have not encountered. How hard is that to grasp?

How is this evidence? Lmao. Evidence is what's posted in the OP. Saying "I don't have this issue" isn't evidence. Some people in this thread have said they don't notice it/aren't experiencing it and have posted footage, only for said footage to show blatant input delay which is immediately noticeable to myself and others

You simply do not notice it. Get over it. Move on.

In other news, Mike has replied to me:

U2kqZz0.png

There's only so many ways that I can tell him that it's not my controller...

My reply:

Hi Mike,

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

In regards to your question - I have re-installed the game, hard-reset my PS4, played GTA V on two different TVs, switched TV settings to 'Game Mode', tried different in-game views, tried different Field of View settings, tried different sensitivity settings, all of which have resulted in the same experience.

As I already mentioned, I do not own a second controller, but I really do not think that has anything to do with this as I have used the same controller within minutes of playing GTA V to play other games ( Far Cry 4 mostly) and none of them share the same issue. Switching between Far Cry 4 and GTA V only highlighted the issue even further to me due to the contrast in how each game felt to play. And I think the fact that so many other people in the NeoGAF thread are experiencing the same issue rules out the possibility of it being related to my controller.

I've also contacted Eurogamer/Digital Foundry and asked them if they would look into this further, as there's only so much we can do.

Thanks again.

Luke.

Theecliff

Banned
Is this a problem specific to the PS4 version, or is it the same as it was on last gen? I'm thinking of picking this up for Christmas on PS4 but I'm unsure now.

It was there. I remember it and am disappointed that they didn't get it fixed for the current gen. It's really annoying and I can't stand playing the game for a long time due to it. Feels really sluggish. I was wondering if it was just my controller but I didn't realize it was a common thing.

Omfg...

It's almost as if you ignore the fact that we've said multiple times that every other game we play feels fine...on the same TV...with the same settings.

You don't notice it, that's fine, but it is there. Fact. Now please leave the thread, and leave the people who want this problem fixed to discuss the issue, before you embarrass yourself even further.

Not sure why I picked the quotes I did and I know I am a bit LTTP but I noticed this the very first time I played it. The opening scene when you are busting out of the bank and have to start shooting at the ol Yankton cops I had a hell of a time. It was impossible to aim in first person without constantly OVER aiming.

Since then I pretty much stopped using the FPS controls for shootouts. It is still there in TPS too but it is just so much more pronounced in the FPS mode. To me it really shows why GTA is TPS and will likely always remain TPS.

"I don't care, but I'm going to post in this thread a bunch more arguing for my position."

That's what gets me. If you drop the "I don't care" line, you have to leave after that.

It's the same type of people who come into technical threads saying they don't care about resolution, etc. Not sure why it is tolerated here tbh.

Not sure why I picked the quotes I did and I know I am a bit LTTP but I noticed this the very first time I played it. The opening scene when you are busting out of the bank and have to start shooting at the ol Yankton cops I had a hell of a time. It was impossible to aim in first person without constantly OVER aiming.

Same here. Literally the first thing I did was switch to first-person mode, go into the settings and turn the sensitivity all the way up, and change to free-aim. The moment I moved the right stick I felt the delay.

Garibaldi

I'm not seeing it personally on my gaming monitor. It just seems like the camera is accelerating up to fully rotational speed. It stops pretty much instantly.

My own video, obviously reasonably horrible phone quality.

I'm not seeing it personally on my gaming monitor. It just seems like the camera is accelerating up to fully rotational speed. It stops pretty much instantly.

Yep, there's input latency there.

Holding the analgue isn't the best way to demonstrate the issue, as 99% of the time the screen is rotating. Flick the analogue and it's far more obvious.

Garibaldi

Yep, there's input latency there.

Holding the analgue isn't the best way to demonstrate the issue, as 99% of the time the screen is rotating. Flick the analogue and it's far more obvious.

Its not ridiculously bad though. I agree the aiming in the game is pretty bad. But we've known that since GTA 3, let's be fair. It's not something Rockstar will patch I fear.

Garibaldi

Is it not just accelerating the camera up to speed? I'm not as responsive to this type of stuff so if it's anything it's more evidence to show to Rock star.

Its not ridiculously bad though. I agree the aiming in the game is pretty bad. But we've known that since GTA 3, let's be fair. It's not something Rockstar will patch I fear.

I think we all need to accept that some people can cope with it, some can't. I find first person unplayable, and the delay makes me feel sick. I also know from experience I'm far more sensitive to these types of things than some others are (I fear the first 10 years of VR is going to kill me).

As we've seen in this thread, there are some who flat out don't see it; then there are others who have adapted, knowingly or not.

I can't think of another game that has had such a delay (I joked about Sentinel yesterday, lol) but then I don't play every game so who knows.

First person is far more noticeable than third person, although I believe the delay is identical.

And I agree, this won't get patched out. I'm glad people are chasing R* and the "gaming press" but I just can't see it happening. And we'll all be here having the same conversation when the next Read Dead is released.

Is it not just accelerating the camera up to speed? I'm not as responsive to this type of stuff so if it's anything it's more evidence to show to Rock star.

That's why flicking the pad is better, as you go from absolutes very quickly, you can run quicker tests (like 20 "flicks" in a video rather than 2 longer holds), so it's more apparent.

There is acceleration, the curve we've discussed, but that doesn't come into it until after the delay. To test this, hold the pad only half way and you'll get the idea.

Hollow

I feel like most of the control issues are combination of absurd camera acceleration and poor deadzones exacerbated by input latency to make a trifecta of poor aiming controls.

A lot of the shootouts have been incredibly frustrating because of them.

I noticed it the moment you moved the stick. And when you let go (the camera was still moving).

Sigh...I really wish I was unable to notice it or care so much about it.

If you would be so kind as to replicate my video (first-person view, with short, sharp flicks of the right stick) just to see if it is indeed more apparent in FPV compared to third (which I think it may be), that would be really appreciated.

Same here. Literally the first thing I did was switch to first-person mode, go into the settings and turn the sensitivity all the way up, and change to free-aim. The moment I moved the right stick I felt the delay.

Yep, we did the same things. Sadly, now I play with auto aim on because it is the only way to enjoy the shooting mechanics IMO. It sucks to rely on auto aim but for me its necessary as I have never been able to adjust to the lag.

Oh, BTW I always play with my TV in game mode. Aiming mechanics between FC4 and GTA V are night and day.

Yep, we did the same things. Sadly, now I play with auto aim on because it is the only way to enjoy the shooting mechanics IMO. It sucks to rely on auto aim but for me its necessary as I have never been able to adjust to the lag.

Oh, BTW I always play with my TV in game mode. Aiming mechanics between FC4 and GTA V are night and day.

Indeed. As I said earlier, I stopped playing GTA V until I was done with FC4 because the contrast in controls were too jarring. It's a little better now that I only play GTA V, as I have gotten a little more used to it, but it's still a pain in the ass. Especially when trying to complete some of the higher-level missions on hard difficulty.

I feel like most of the control issues are combination of absurd camera acceleration and poor deadzones exacerbated by input latency to make a trifecta of poor aiming controls.

A lot of the shootouts have been incredibly frustrating because of them.

I noticed it the moment you moved the stick. And when you let go (the camera was still moving).

Sigh...I really wish I was unable to notice it or care so much about it.

If you would be so kind as to replicate my video (first-person view, with short, sharp flicks of the right stick) just to see if it is indeed more apparent in FPV compared to third (which I think it may be), that would be really appreciated.

Yes! I think it is all there in third person mode too but the camera changes in first person mode definitely exacerbates the issue.

I am guessing that most people suggesting nothing is wrong haven't actually tried the FPS mode themselves because I don't see how anybody could play this game with default controls and not notice it.

Yes! I think it is all there in third person mode too but the camera changes in first person mode definitely exacerbates the issue.

I am guessing that most people suggesting nothing is wrong haven't actually tried the FPS mode themselves because I don't see how anybody could play this game with default controls and not notice it.

Mhmm. My aiming improves tenfold if I switch to third-person. But I just love FPV too much to let go.

Anyway, my work is done here for today. I need to go and chill out, smoke some Mary Jane, and watch some TV. I'll return on the morrow and keep you all updated in terms of my replies from Rockstar Support and Eurogamer.

Mhmm. My aiming improves tenfold if I switch to third-person. But I just love FPV too much to let go.

Anyway, my work is done here for today. I need to go and chill out, smoke some Mary Jane, and watch some TV. I'll return on the morrow and keep you all updated in terms of my replies from Rockstar Support and Eurogamer.

Ooh, say hi to Mary for me! :)

FINALLY!!!

Someone made a video comparing GTAV on PS4 and PS3 to show the difference in input lag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwkjaTu8ayY

The difference is NIGHT AND DAY. I knew I wasn't crazy!

Fix that shit Rockstar! :mad:

Can someone make GIFs of the direct side-by-side comparisons to add to this thread??

P.S.: I'm saying finally, but apparently this video was posted on Nov. 25!

iMax

The TV may be contributing to this.

Basic troubleshooting logic, that's how. I know this is impossible to understand but even if the os or no other games have the issue it still could be a problem with THAT SPECIFIC TV AND THAT SPECIFIC GAME. I've had problems like this with other games since the dawn of hd tvs, and often changing the display mode to gaming can fix it. Or just trying another tv. I mean, if it's not a specific issue with the setup then WHY AM I NOT HAVING THE ISSUE???

idWIE1lW88kDr.gif

FINALLY!!!

Someone made a video comparing GTAV on PS4 and PS3 to show the difference in input lag:

Can someone make GIFs of the direct side-by-side comparisons to add to this thread??

Just checked up on this thread before going to bed and HOLY FUCKING SHIT at this video! He even puts the two versions side-by-side at the end, showing an irrefutable difference. Wow. I knew the last-gen version didn't feel as bad as the current-gen version!

I just messaged Mike (Rockstar Support) again and attached this video. Rockstar needs to see this. Fingers crossed.

DMAmul

Neo Member
FINALLY!!!

Definitely a difference.

So strange that input lag was introduced when going next-gen, really doesn't make any sense that this issue exists at all.

gogogow

FINALLY!!!

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea ALL the controls had input lag. I only thought it was the camera controls (with the sticks), but it affects everything, even the weapon selection menu etc.. I really hope Rockstar will fix this. I haven't bought the game yet and now I will only buy it when this issue is fixed. I really can't stand input lag.

abaldwin360

Neo Member
FINALLY!!!

Wow. Never noticed the input lag on the PS4 version until seeing this thread.

Now that it's been pointed out I can't not notice it.

leng jai

So it's even worse than the PS3 version. That's surprising for me because I remember the PS3 version feeling terrible also though that was exacerbated by the poor frame rate.

This makes the "Rockstar are wizards" comment about this port even more embarrassing. Disappointing on so many levels.

FINALLY!!!

Well that's a turn up for the books. The plot thickens....

This does give me hope that a fix can be patched in, although we may find there's an extra render pass or three going on new-gen which is causing this.

There's still input latency in the PS3 video, but it looks a frame or two better than the PS4 version.

FINALLY!!!

It's no wonder I enjoyed the last-gen version more. The input lag was still present, but not as offensively as it is in current-gen.

Top Bottom