• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What to visit in Asia?

Fbh

Hi Gaf.

I'm currently living in Europe in early April im heading back to my home country in south america to start a business idea with some of my family.
I'll stop working at the end of February and I left the whole of March to travel around a bit while I'm still here. I already have a few trips planned (Paris with my mom and Spain with a couple of friends) but I'd love to take this chance to visit some asian country (or countries).
I've always been drawn to the continent, I find the cultures there fascinating and it just seems really different from everything I've visited. I've been to italy, Sweden, Germany, England, Irland and some more and while they are all amazing, in broad terms they all have this western culture that isn't too different from the one I grew up with, and Asia just seems completely different in some ways.

Since it's much cheaper and faster to go there from Europe than from South America this seems like a good chance, but I'm not sure which are the best places to visit.
As someone who grew up loving a lot of japanese media (videogames, manga, anime) I'd be lying if I said Japan isn't the one that interests me the most, but then again I've heard wonderful things about Korea, Thailand, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc.

What I like to do in travels is getting to know the culture, visit touristic and historical attractions and enjoy the food. I'm not that much into parties or nightlife, I'd rather get to bed somewhat early and then get up early to have more time to explore the city and it's surroundings. There is also a good chance I'll be doing this trip alone (not my first solo trip so I sort of know what to expect).

What places would you recommend?

pramod

Banned
Sounds like you can just visit Japan and skip all the rest. Maybe Hong Kong, if you like Chinese food.

Makariel

I'd say focus on Japan and then you can go to Kuala Lumpur, which (thanks to dirt cheap Air Asia flights) can serve as hub to visit any or all nearby countries, including Thailand, Singapore, Cambodia (do check out angkor wat!) etc.

Depending on your passport you can travel to most of them without applying for a visa beforehand.

Edit : argh how I hate auto correct sometimes...

Last edited:

Droxcy

I'd hit Taiwan and South Korea. I have plenty of friends there, let alone awesome internet, good times and good food! Japan is #1 on my list right now. Currently planning a trip in 2019.

Livia

Cambodia basically. The Angkor Wat temples are amazing! Stay out of Vietnam tho, pretty boring country to visit imo

God Enel

Cambodia basically. The Angkor Wat temples are amazing! Stay out of Vietnam tho, pretty boring country to visit imo
Cannot agree with that. Each one of the southeast asian countries is nice.

Visitin vietnam for Sapa alone for some days (2-3) is worth it. The. You have ho chi minh city and a trip to ha long bay. You have some caves (that i havent been to) and other beautiful beaches.

Cambodia is nice for angkor wat, the killing fields (though they made me cry), ko rong.

Thailand is all around 10/10. visit the northern part of thailand too.

And laos is pretty nice as well.

Its quite cheap to get around on SEA. So if youre going on budget visit sea and not japan and korea which I assume are more expensive than the ones I mentioned. though ive never been in the two countries.

Last edited:

Livia

Cannot agree with that. Each one of the southeast asian countries is nice.

Visitin vietnam for Sapa alone for some days (2-3) is worth it. The. You have ho chi minh city and a trip to ha long bay. You have some caves (that i havent been to) and other beautiful beaches.

Cambodia is nice for angkor wat, the killing fields (though they made me cry), ko rong.

Thailand is all around 10/10. visit the northern part of thailand too.

And laos is pretty nice as well.

Its quite cheap to get around on SEA. So if youre going on budget visit sea and not japan and korea which I assume are more expensive than the ones I mentioned. though ive never been in the two countries.

Okay, so I should have elaborate a little more that Halong Bay was by far the highlight for me in Vietnam. But I didn't care for Ho chi minh and Hanoi. Too crowded and the traffic is awful. We had bad weather when we visit Sapa, so thats just bad luck really. But all in all, I was a little dissappointed in Vietnam. Thailand however I agree with you. Been there twice and loved it!

God Enel

Okay, so I should have elaborate a little more that Halong Bay was by far the highlight for me in Vietnam. But I didn't care for Ho chi minh and Hanoi. Too crowded and the traffic is awful. We had bad weather when we visit Sapa, so thats just bad luck really. But all in all, I was a little dissappointed in Vietnam. Thailand however I agree with you. Been there twice and loved it!

Halong is awesome. The two cities I agree with you, but each Megacity in SEA is like that, be it phnom phen (is it written like that? it always confuses me) or Bangkok.. All same same ;) Though I thought Ho-Chi-Minh was the best of those I mentioned. Dunno why..

Sapa we've been for three days. The first two days we had amazing weather so we did a hike through the rice terraces and it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Last they it was pouring and yeah then sapa sucks.

Just curious where have you been to in Thailand?

Livia

Halong is awesome. The two cities I agree with you, but each Megacity in SEA is like that, be it phnom phen (is it written like that? it always confuses me) or Bangkok.. All same same ;) Though I thought Ho-Chi-Minh was the best of those I mentioned. Dunno why..

Sapa we've been for three days. The first two days we had amazing weather so we did a hike through the rice terraces and it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Last they it was pouring and yeah then sapa sucks.

Just curious where have you been to in Thailand?

First time I was in Thailand I were there for two weeks and visited Bangkok and Phuket. The second time I was in Krabi and loved it! Did some island hopping also and visited the James bond island and others 😊

Top Bottom