• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Pokemon news is more likely if it's anything significant, since we know that's coming this month, and the timing is similar to when the first oras teaser was shown

Eradicate

Omg it must be a NX meeting!

Or they're celebrating Reggies birthday by inviting Chucke Cheese :(

image.php

(I bet he sneaks in somehow!)

It's ENTIRELY something important!

Secret meetings are always REALLY secret when they are announced like this! If it was ordinary, why announce it?!

tumblr_lxnyxgKNwK1qgksw0o1_500.gif

Neoxon

That article reads like someone essentially following this thread and summing up the Macronix parts. I'm not sure what other source they have which could indicate 32 GB, although it could just be a misunderstanding of the Macronix 32nm process.
This is a neogaf sourced article, the 32gb claim is probably from someone here speculating about that a few days ago.
So it's a classic case of GAF-Internet-GAF with some misinterpretations along the way.

Akki

While technically true, the evidence of a handheld coming is practically non-existent. We have that Ori dev and... Well, not much else.

You are right, theres little information/"leaks" about the handeld but there are no/just a few reliable news about the console aswell. I´m stil believing Nintendo will release both devices at the same time or close to each other (4 weeks).

One of the most reliable leaks is the WSJ rumor last October which mentioned a handheld part.

WSJ said:
The exact shape of the NX hardware isn’t yet clear. People familiar with the development plans said Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use

We have Matt who talked about the resolution of the handeld in August last year. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=151096244&postcount=209

It's higher than you think, but lower than some hope for.

On the other hand LCGeek said that the NX CPU will be a little better than the XBO/PS4 CPU and Emily Rogers talked about the strong first party lineup in the first year, but she didnt say anything about the hardware/concept of the NX besides "it has good specs". A lot of rumors only mention the console because its easier to compare, more "fun" to speculate and the west simply doesn´t care about the handheld IMO.

We know for sure Nintendo delayed the NX launch because they want to provide a great software support throughout the first year. Assuming the NX console and handheld share nearly all games. Why would Nintendo invest a huge amount of their ressources to develop console games and neglect their strong handheld business? All speculated NX console launch games could be also released on the handheld and move hardware. IMO business wise it makes the most sense to release both devices at the same time and let the consumer decide which one they prefer.

Zelda OoT/MM was a huge succes on the 3ds. The audience is there and im sure would love to play the new 3d Zelda. Even a downgraded Zelda U/NX would be a great showpiece of the hardware power and sell a lot of systems.
Theres going to be a new 3d-Mario from EAD Tokyo. 3d Land was also a great succes and sold for the time more copies than their 2d-part.
Theres no way the next smash wont be on the handheld, nearly doubing the Wii U sales.

One thing was quite remarkable. I´m talking about the DQ XI announcement and the huge interest from Square Enix. Does anyone believe they are excited because Nintendo will release a new console? Its obvious they only care about the handeld. They just want a powerful hardware to sell their games in Japan, the only healthy market for Nintendo.

MuchoMalo

Banned
You are right, theres little information/"leaks" about the handeld but there are no/just a few reliable news about the console aswell. I´m stil believing Nintendo will release both devices at the same time or close to each other (4 weeks).

One of the most reliable leaks is the WSJ rumor last October which mentioned a handheld part.

We have Matt who talked about the resolution of the handeld in August last year. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=151096244&postcount=209

On the other hand LCGeek said that the NX CPU will be a little better than the XBO/PS4 CPU and Emily Rogers talked about the strong first party lineup in the first year, but she didnt say anything about the hardware/concept of the NX besides "it has good specs". A lot of rumors only mention the console because its easier to compare, more "fun" to speculate and the west simply doesn´t care about the handheld IMO.

We know for sure Nintendo delayed the NX launch because they want to provide a great software support throughout the first year. Assuming the NX console and handheld share nearly all games. Why would Nintendo invest a huge amount of their ressources to develop console games and neglect their strong handheld business? All speculated NX console launch games could be also released on the handheld and move hardware. IMO business wise it makes the most sense to release both devices at the same time and let the consumer decide which one they prefer.

Zelda OoT/MM was a huge succes on the 3ds. The audience is there and im sure would love to play the new 3d Zelda. Even a downgraded Zelda U/NX would be a great showpiece of the hardware power and sell a lot of systems.
Theres going to be a new 3d-Mario from EAD Tokyo. 3d Land was also a great succes and sold for the time more copies than their 2d-part.
Theres no way the next smash wont be on the handheld, nearly doubing the Wii U sales.

One thing was quite remarkable. I´m talking about the DQ XI announcement and the huge interest from Square Enix. Does anyone believe they are excited because Nintendo will release a new console? Its obvious they only care about the handeld. They just want a powerful hardware to sell their games in Japan, the only healthy market for Nintendo.

I don't know how much stock I'd put into Matt's comment simply because dev kits or even SDKs would not have been out that early. Perhaps the "mobile unit" isn't a new handheld, but something else instead?

Menitta

One thing I'm hoping for is that the NX will have at least 500gb of storage. That was a huge problem with the Wii U. Wouldn't surprise me if it was something they don't want to repeat with the NX.

ozfunghi

One thing I'm hoping for is that the NX will have at least 500gb of storage. That was a huge problem with the Wii U. Wouldn't surprise me if it was something they don't want to repeat with the NX.

Eh, please no? Keep the cost down, and those who want plenty of storage can buy external storage like they did with WiiU.

I don't understand why people want lots of storage in the consoles. It only drives the price up. Everybody nowadays buys external drives anyways.

Lothars

Eh, please no? Keep the cost down, and those who want plenty of storage can buy external storage like they did with WiiU.
That makes no sense, it adds extra cost that doesn't need. It needs lot's of storage. so at least 500 gb is the minimum the NX should have.

I don't understand why people want lots of storage in the consoles. It only drives the price up. Everybody nowadays buys external drives anyways.
Since it adds at least $50 dollars in cost for an external drive when they can put a hard drive in and not have to worry about it. They should also add external hard drive support but the system needs a internal hard drive.

MuchoMalo

Banned

This is not the way to think in 2017. Storage isn't just some extra for power users. Digital distribution is likely to be a huge part of Nintendo's strategy, especially if it's a console using a storage medium that tops out at only 32GB (unless they're intentionally shutting out western third-parties from the get-go and we end up with Nintendo 64 the Second).

Lothars

So does your wish.
lol My wish of it having an internal hard drive should be a given. Anyone saying it should only support external hard drives and that it shouldn't have an internal drive is not only wrong, they are out of touch with reality.

This is not the way to think in 2017. Storage isn't just some extra for power users. Digital distribution is likely to be a huge part of Nintendo's strategy, especially if it's a console using a storage medium that tops out at only 32GB (unless they're intentionally shutting out western third-parties from the get-go and we end up with Nintendo 64 the Second).
Exactly if they want to sell games digitally, they need to have space on the console. Yes it should also have an external hard drive but it needs space on the system.

I don't like to nitpick, as the summary in the OP is helpful, but I think highlighting the software being ready as the reason (singular) as to why the console is missing the holiday season doesn't totally reflect Kimishima's quote, which is used as proof of this. He only said it was one of the reasons.

I know it's splitting hairs, but I think there's an important distinction there.

MuchoMalo

Banned
So does your wish.

But much less. I doubt that Nintendo would pass the savings anyway.

If it doesn't have storage, its perceived value will be obscenely low to the market. At the very least, there has to be a SKU with an HDD. Only having expensive external storage isn't going to cut it. Besides that, even if you don't and to buy digital games, it still needs an HDD for patches and DLC (and no, they can't be saved on the cartridge because that would use ROM and it would require DRM for the DLC even if it could). Putting out a console without an HDD is no longer doable, and you'll appreciate it after a while. I really don't know some of you think that the only use for an HDD in a console is installing games for faster loading times. It's kinda ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure no one is advocating getting rid of a HDD all together, rather, the idea is that they can use a relatively small (128gb) internal drive then maybe sell a cheapish Nintendo branded external drive or SCD separately or as a bundle.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I'm pretty sure no one is advocating getting rid of a HDD all together, rather, the idea is that they can use a relatively small (128gb) internal drive then maybe sell a cheapish Nintendo branded external drive or SCD separately or as a bundle.

Some people don't want something extra hanging out of their console. Besides that, a 120GB drive isn't even a good deal. They don't really make those anymore, so a 500GB (or perhaps a 7200RPM 320GB) drive would be so close in price that the effect on the BOM won't matter unless they're only like $5 away from taking a loss.

Nintendo fans are seriously the only ones who would even consider wanting something like this to happen. I don't get it, but I think I do get why Nintendo is as far behind the times as they are.

Lothars

That might be okay depending on how much the system costs and how much storage they have in the console. If they pull a wii u and have barely any storage with a high price than that's not acceptable even with external hard drive support.

They need to have a good mixture with enough storage for some games and a chance to up the storage if need be.

Yep. Nobody is saying "don't put any hdd in there". Some are saying if it raises the price to much for 500GB then put less.

Just like I don't care for BC if it raises the cost. I don't care for a controller with a screen either. Yeah, the Gamepad is cool don't get me wrong, but again I hope they don't do it again if it raises the price.

Some people don't want something extra hanging out of their console. Besides that, a 120GB drive isn't even a good deal. They don't really make those anymore, so a 500GB drive would be so close in price that the effect on the BOM won't matter unless they're only like $5 away from taking a loss.

Nintendo fans are seriously the only ones who would even consider wanting something like this to happen. I don't get it, but I think I do get why Nintendo is as far behind the times as they are.

What I'm saying is no one in this thread is even implying that they don't want a hard drive (or SSD) in the console at all, so your arguments about people not wanting internal storage at all aren't really relevant here.

And I'm not terribly knowledgeable about HDD pricing but if the price jump from 128GB to 512GB is relatively low as you said then yeah, it wouldn't make much sense not to use a 512GB drive, unless they want to go super low or even potentially use a solid state drive which, frankly, wouldn't make much sense to me.

Edit:

Yep. Nobody is saying "don't put any hdd in there". Some are saying if it raises the price to much for 500GB then put less.

Just like I don't care for BC if it raises the cost. I don't care for a controller with a screen either. Yeah, the Gamepad is cool don't get me wrong, but again I hope they don't do it again if it raises the price.

Right, and the endgame here isn't necessarily to bring the MSRP down, but also to bring down some areas of the BoM so that other areas they can go a bit higher end, like on the CPU or GPU. That's also one of the main ideas about the removal of the optical drive- that's $20-$30 more which can be spent on CPU/GPU/RAM/whatever they want.

ozfunghi

This is exactly the way for Nintendo to think in 2017. Especially after the WiiU, a console where the price was too high due to features not everybody cared about.

Some people don't want something extra hanging out of their console. Besides that, a 120GB drive isn't even a good deal. They don't really make those anymore, so a 500GB drive would be so close in price that the effect on the BOM won't matter unless they're only like $5 away from taking a loss.

You are thinking about an actual disk. I think Nintendo would opt again for SSD/Flash.

Exactly. I'd say 320GB tops. Somewhere between 120 and 320. Nintendo will likely go for SDD/Flash storage again, which is faster, smaller, quieter, has no moving parts...

That makes no sense, it adds extra cost that doesn't need. It needs lot's of storage. so at least 500 gb is the minimum the NX should have.

This makes no sense. Why does it need so much storage out of the box? For those that buy digital and lots of DLC. Raising the price for everyone, while not everyone will need it, isn't the best idea if you're struggling to get your product in people's homes. You think Nintendo will add that 500+GB for free? Plenty of people won't need it, and plenty of people have external HDD's to spare, especially smaller HDD's since those have likely been replaced by 2+TB HDD's in their PC setup.

NX won't be bought exclusively by hardcore gamers. It will also be bought for 8-12 year olds that may not purchase any games or DLC digitally.

MuchoMalo

Banned
What I'm saying is no one in this thread is even implying that they don't want a hard drive (or SSD) in the console at all, so your arguments about people not wanting internal storage at all aren't really relevant here.

And I'm not terribly knowledgeable about HDD pricing but if the price jump from 128GB to 512GB is relatively low as you said then yeah, it wouldn't make much sense not to use a 512GB drive, unless they want to go super low or even potentially use a solid state drive which, frankly, wouldn't make much sense to me.

I just want to note that the drive capacities you're using here apply to SSDs, not HDDs. HDD storage comes in multiples of 10.

Here's an example of how retail pricing looks:

The column right before the star ratings is the price per GB. Looking at the capacities and speeds, it seems safe to say that the best options are either 500GB @5400RPM or 320GB @7200RPM. With that said, PS4's 500GB HDD at launch was just $1 more than PS3's 320GB drive at the time, so it's even closer than it seems.

I don't want to kill Nintendos thinking differently because that's what makes them so great, but I think there's just stuff gamers and devs expect today.

Nintendo is like the red headed step child right now lol. They need to dye their hair blonde or brunette and can still be themselves to appeal to more gamers. If they cut the disc that would look cool to gamers. I think many would love the idea of carts and it saves Nintendo money so they can add to the CPU/GPU(obviously this is done by now). But they can't add too much to drive the cost up because they have an image of "why should I buy your expensive console when I know you won't have third party games for another generation?"

Once Nintendo can show they have third party games, like the big ones, then in the future they can have more expensive systems because by that point people will feel they can buy a more expensive Nintendo system since it will come with Nintendo and third party games.

Of course there's other things like having a "standard controller". Too many people want Nintendo to have a standard controller and I think they should do it for atleast one generation. Even though, the screen controller may be cheaper now I still think they should go with the "standard controller" which btw they made the standard lol.

ozfunghi

I just want to note that the drive capacities you're using here apply to SSDs, not HDDs. HDD storage comes in multiples of 10.

The column right before the star ratings is the price per GB. Looking at the capacities and speeds, it seems safe to say that the best options are either 500GB @5400RPM or 320GB @7200RPM. With that said, PS4's 500GB HDD at launch was just $1 more than PS3's 320GB drive at the time, so it's even closer than it seems.

I will cut off my left nut (we have a tree in the garden) if Nintendo opts for a slow-ass moving parts, mechanical, noise making disk.

I feel like it should be a forgone conclusion that they're going to use an SSD/flash memory.

We can cut off our nuts together.

Oh interesting, not sure why I've never noticed that. Thanks for the correction!

beril

Some people don't want something extra hanging out of their console. Besides that, a 120GB drive isn't even a good deal. They don't really make those anymore, so a 500GB (or perhaps a 7200RPM 320GB) drive would be so close in price that the effect on the BOM won't matter unless they're only like $5 away from taking a loss.

Of course they're not going to put a 100 GB spinning magnetic disc in there. That would indeed be a bad deal and completely pointless.
but a 100GB onboard nand chip wouldn't be very expensive and it would mean much smaller console, lower manufacturing costs and no moving parts

Taker666

Since it adds at least $50 dollars in cost for an external drive when they can put a hard drive in and not have to worry about it. They should also add external hard drive support but the system needs a internal hard drive.

250GB would be my guess (if not less).

Don't forget, the majority of Nintendo's first party games have pretty small file sizes for the Wii U...usually between 2GB and 8GB . I don't expect most Nintendo made NX games to be much bigger.

MuchoMalo

Banned
This is exactly the way for Nintendo to think in 2017. Especially after the WiiU, a console where the price was too high due to features not everybody cared about.

You are thinking about an actual disk. I think Nintendo would opt again for SSD/Flash.

Exactly. I'd say 320GB tops. Somewhere between 120 and 320. Nintendo will likely go for SDD/Flash storage again, which is faster, smaller, quieter, has no moving parts...

This makes no sense. Why does it need so much storage out of the box? For those that buy digital and lots of DLC. Raising the price for everyone, while not everyone will need it, isn't the best idea if you're struggling to get your product in people's homes. You think Nintendo will add that 500+GB for free? Plenty of people won't need it, and plenty of people have external HDD's to spare, especially smaller HDD's since those have likely been replaced by 2+TB HDD's in their PC setup.

NX won't be bought exclusively by hardcore gamers. It will also be bought for 8-12 year olds that may not purchase any games or DLC digitally.

So, you think that Nintendo cares about cost and their solution is to spend more on expensive storage, rather than just going for a more cost-effective option? Why not, you know, hope that they would go for the cost effective option?

Well, I'll humor this. With flash, 128GB is the absolute max they could include and that's really pushing it at about $30 (32GB chips cost roughly $7.50 a pop). And yes, I'm aware that it'll be cheaper in a year, but like I said $30 is really pushing it. It works though, if you assume that Nintendo won't be making a push for digital distribution at all and will expect it to only be something that power-users care about. This is backwards thinking IMO. Nintendo sees that digital revenue is rising and you think their response to that is to stifle it just to eliminate moving parts? If that seriously happens, several people need to be fired. Absolute insanity and mismanagement. If Nintendo seriously does this, NX will fail for sure because a company that makes suck a stupid decision is sure to make many, many, many more.

Also, as I noted earlier, they'll completely alienate a lot of third-parties without that storage due to limited cart sizes and less space for DLC. Nobody's going to hedge their bets on customers spending an extra $50+ on a peripheral.

Lothars

IT needs internal storage, using the excuse that plenty of people have external hard drives and they should be required to use that is not a good argument.

ozfunghi

So, you think that Nintendo cares about cost and their solution is to spend more on expensive storage, rather than just going for a more cost-effective option? Why not, you know, hope that they would go for the cost effective option?

Well, I'll humor this. With flash, 128GB is the absolute max they could include and that's really pushing it at about $30 (32GB chips cost roughly $7.50 a pop). And yes, I'm aware that it'll be cheaper in a year, but like I said $30 is really pushing it. It works though, if you assume that Nintendo won't be making a push for digital distribution at all and will expect it to only be something that power-users care about. This is backwards thinking IMO. Nintendo sees that digital revenue is rising and you think their response to that is to stifle it just to eliminate moving parts? If that seriously happens, several people need to be fired. Absolute insanity and mismanagement.

I'm sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong. Smaller power envelope, prices only going down, less mechanical failures hence less after sales costs, smaller, quieter, cooler, faster... You name it. It makes NO sense for them to go with a cluncky mechanical drive. If you want a clunky mechanical drive, you can connect the one of your chosing through USB.

Insanity indeed.

IT needs internal storage, using the excuse that plenty of people have external hard drives and they should be required to use that is not a good argument.

And it will get internal storage. What are you talking about?

Why shouldn't it be a valid argument? I've been using a USB HDD since launch, it was one i ripped out of an old defect laptop, works like a charm. Why should i pay $40 bucks extra for a console because you want me to?

According to Wikipedia, the Wii U internal storage was eMMC flash memory, so I suppose it wouldn't be hard to believe they'd go flash or SSD at this point, though the low price of HDDs is pretty enticing.

Do we have any idea who provided the Wii U flash memory? Maybe that could give us a hint about which way we go for the NX, based on that old article about Nintendo's suppliers gearing up for production.

Menitta

Freaking Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is 10 gb, which is more than 1/3 of the entire Wii U storage. I can't play that game anymore because that would require me to uninstall a lot of games and reinstall it which can take a long ass time. Its not unreasonable to want a bigger storage drive.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I'm sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong. Smaller power envelope, prices only going down, less mechanical failures hence less after sales costs, smaller, quieter, cooler, faster... You name it. It makes NO sense for them to go with a cluncky mechanical drive. If you want a clunky mechanical drive, you can connect the one of your chosing through USB.

Insanity indeed.

I think you're focusing more on what you want than what's actually best for Nintendo. Discouraging digital distribution is the last thing Nintendo needs right now. You might as well say that they should go back to friend codes and not having accounts because the hardcore will deal with it and the average user won't need those features anyway. People complain about Nintendo being out of touch, but if their fans are so out of touch that they think that kids download games in 2016 it's not wonder they have trouble keeping with the times.

How about this: 32GB SKU for you, 500GB HDD + 32GB flash SKU for other people. Makes sense?

Freaking Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is 10 gb, which is more than 1/3 of the entire Wii U storage. I can't play that game anymore because that would require me to uninstall a lot of games and reinstall it which can take a long ass time. Its not unreasonable to want a bigger storage drive.
I don't think anybody is asking for the Wii U's storage.

ozfunghi

If you want a bigger storage drive, you can buy one. If they were to include it, you'd be paying for it too. Maybe a bit less, but still. So what's the best for consumer. Have everyone pay $40 more while half of the consumers won't need it. Or have have those that need it, pay $50 in a store of their chosing?

I think you're focusing more on what you want than what's actually best for Nintendo.

This is funny because it's as if you're talking to yourself ;)

I think you're focusing more on what you want than what's actually best for Nintendo. Discouraging digital distribution is the last thing Nintendo needs right now. You might as well say that they should go back to friend codes and not having accounts because the hardcore will deal with it and the average user won't need those features anyway. People complain about Nintendo being out of touch, but if their fans are so out of touch that they think that kids download games in 2016 it's not wonder they have trouble keeping with the times.

How about this: 32GB SKU for you, 500GB HDD + 32GB flash SKU for other people. Makes sense?

No, two SKU's don't make sense from a retailer perspective, i believe. How about one 128GB SKU for everybody, and those that want more, can add more externally.

But by all means, you can stop the misplaced patronizing tone. If there is anyone who's doing the backwards thinking, it's you. I'm not discussing this anymore with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom