• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrawlMan

SalvaPot

OH BOY.

March 17 can't come soon enough, I need to know What's NX.

THAT IS GOING TO BE THEIR SLOGAN

CHECK OUT WHAT'S NX.

Nanashrew

Banned
Nintendo did think the visuals produced by the GCN were sufficient to last another generation, so even if this console starts out strong, it wouldn't surprise me if they try to drag this tech out far longer than the hardcore care for.

Edit: just depends on how successful this round is

I don't think it has much to do with that but more that this is built from the ground up with iteration in mind. Patents of the supplemental computing devices even show they're also thinking ahead with this strategy by adding additional power when needed.

I don't think it has much to do with that but more that this is built from the ground up with iteration in mind. Patents of the supplemental computing devices even show they're also thinking ahead with this strategy by adding additional power when needed.

This made me think of the patent showing the modular, upgradeable system as well.
It would also fit the statement of not selling the console at a loss = basic, casual SKU.

Eradicate

Here are the translations for the three paragraphs that have information about Nintendo. The translation is rough due to time constraint. BTW, if you find any Chinese articles in the future, feel free to pm me. I may give you a brief summary, or translation if I am free. :)

Paragraph 1:

非挥发性记忆体厂商旺宏(2337)昨(28)日公布第1季每股净损0.25元。旺宏董事长吴敏求表示,“最糟情况已过”,预期今年第3季很有机会 摆脱亏损,届 时大客户任天堂订单将有关键性影响,该公司目标全年损益平衡。

Yesterday, non-volatile memory vendor Macronix (2337) announced that net loss per share of 0.25 yuan in the first quarter. Wu Miin, chairman of Macronix, stated that "the worst situation has passed". He expects that the company can potentially get rid of loss in the third quarter as the orders of an important customer, Nintendo, will have critical impact. The company targets a profit-loss balance annually.

Paragraph 4:

过去旺宏全年业绩高峰大多出现在第3季,第4季则会下滑,但吴敏求指出,因为任天堂已宣布新平台将于明年3月推出,应会提早备货,旺宏今年第4季营 运可能和第3 季一样好。

In the past, Macronix sales performance usually peaked at third quarter, while declined at the fourth quarter. However, Wu Miin pointed out that because Nintendo has announced that the new platform will be launched in March next year, orders should be placed in advance. Therefore, the operating revenue of Macronix in the fourth quarter may be as good as the third quarter.

Paragraph 6:

吴敏求指出,在任天堂新平台推出之前,今年ROM营收估计持平,但有成长潜能。至于NOR Flash业务,全球市占到去年已达21%,位居第二位,预期在今年接下来的某一季,有望跃升为第一大。旺宏预期今年75奈米以下NOR Flash制程产品会提升至五成,并销售更多高容量产品,车用领域业绩也会持续增加。

Wu Miin noted that before the launch of Nintendo's new platform, the sales of ROM is expected to remain unchanged in this year, but there is growth potential. In respect of NOR Flash business, market share in the global market has reached 21% last year, ranked second. It is expected to climb to first rank in a quarter next year. Macronix expects the sales of 75 nm, or below, NOR Flash process products will increase to 50% and more high-capacity products will be sold. Revenue of automobile sector will continue to increase.

3YlO9Ud.gif

Awesome job Jim_Cacher! I'll be remembering your offer in the future for Chinese translations!

Does this article appear "legitimate" as far as being from a respectable enough website and not some rumor mongering place? It did to me just browsing through, but your take would be helpful!

OP, it'd be great to get Jim_Cacher's information with the other quotes!

It looks like this is going to be a fairly sizeable order they are predicting from Nintendo. The timing of the order is also really interesting! That last paragraph is really great too to finally read properly. So...it looks like ROM will have some "growth potential" due to this order...but they are also expecting NOR Flash products to really take off where they will be number one in the world in "a quarter" next year. Hard to tell if it's related to the NX or not though. (I'm guessing not, but who knows!)

Am I missing something here? It seems to be pretty clearly talking about reading the first and second "basic program" off the card.

That's what I get off of that description as well, but I'm not sure!

Rösti;202562117 said:
Regarding Macronix, I believe they do not provide transcripts of their earnings release conference calls. Such would have to come from other sources. Best at the moment is the webcast.

Thank you for sharing the link! Maybe someone wants to listen to it and transcribe it? (I'd never expect that, haha!) I'm sure it's in Chinese and every time I'd hear a "NX" sound I'd freak.

I'm hopeful maybe some business site will do a written version, even if it's in Chinese, just as we sometimes get here for like EA or AMD. Not holding my breath, but it'd be great!

Read Only Memory

usually for storing the BIOS (which in turn stands for Basic Input/Output System which is the code that boots up the computer and lets it work, unexciting)

but also in carts for storing games, exciting!

Go with the exciting option!

Jackano

Thanks for the translation Jim_Cacher.
Great news, pretty much confirms cards on NX home.

Question now is, in what extent this confirms the shared library because there is not that much of a point to have the same medium if the game cards cannot be inserted on any form factor.

I take back what I said after I thought about other factors, but still I don't see Nintendo doing two systems in a row with a controller in the screen.

I still think we have more "evidence" that it will have a screen than we do against that:

-Zelda confirmed cross gen
-Splatoon/Mario Maker heavily rumored (would not REQUIRE the screen but it would greatly diminish the experiences without it)
-Quote about "absorbing Wii U architecture," though that could mean anything really
-Keep console parity (for shared library) with a dual screen handheld (if they go that route, which I suspect they will)
-Analyst expecting a large increase in shipments of 3.1in-5in screens (Source)

The only point I can think of against continuing with a screen controller is the price, and I'm fairly sure a controller screen would be MUCH cheaper to manufacture in 2016-2017 than it was in 2011-2012, due to the emergence of streaming technologies like Miracast.

Thanks for the translation Jim_Cacher.
Great news, pretty much confirms cards on NX home.

Question now is, in what extent this confirms the shared library because there is not that much of a point to have the same medium if the game cards cannot be inserted on any form factor.

As others have said it could simply be the ROM chips for the BIOS of the console, which is part of the hardware rather than the software itself being cartridges. I would certainly love them to use more cartridges and I believe it was Eradicate who made a great thread about the pros and cons of a return to cartridge, but this isn't quite a confirmation. Edit: Link to cartridge thread.

Awesome job Jim_Cacher! I'll be remembering your offer in the future for Chinese translations!

Does this article appear "legitimate" as far as being from a respectable enough website and not some rumor mongering place? It did to me just browsing through, but your take would be helpful!

OP, it'd be great to get Jim_Cacher's information with the other quotes!

It looks like this is going to be a fairly sizeable order they are predicting from Nintendo. The timing of the order is also really interesting! That last paragraph is really great too to finally read properly. So...it looks like ROM will have some "growth potential" due to this order...but they are also expecting NOR Flash products to really take off where they will be number one in the world in "a quarter" next year. Hard to tell if it's related to the NX or not though. (I'm guessing not, but who knows!)

Thanks for the praise! You are welcomed! I believe the site is a "newswire" site which links articles from other news outlet. After doing some quick searches, I found that the article appears at a more reputable site like this, so the article should be legit.

There is another discovery. I found this article has interesting information which I don't know if it is true or not. Please take it with a huge grain of salt. Sames as last time, I will only translate the paragraph having the information about NX.

旺宏ROM晶片主要供貨給遊戲機大廠任天堂,第1季雖是銷售淡季,但營收表現仍與去年同期相當,吳敏求表示,由於任天堂才剛宣布,明年3月將推出新一代遊戲機,並會在日、歐、美等三地同步開賣,所以今年下半年ROM可望擴大出貨,將有很大的成長潛力。

Macronix's ROM chips are usually supplied to videogame console maker, Nintendo. Although the sales is in off season during the first quarter, the revenue is similar compared with the same period last year. Wu Miin suggested that as Nintendo had just announced it will release a new generation console in March next year, and the console will be launched at the same time in Japan, America and Europe, so ROM's sales is expected to increase in the latter half of this year, and it will have a large growth potential.

BTW, the NOR Flash products are for internet and automobile sectors, so the business is not related to NX.

EDIT: Oh, I don't know Nintendo use the word "simultaneously" for the launch of NX. Don't need to take the salt, it should be legit.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Here are the translations for the three paragraphs that have information about Nintendo. The translation is rough due to time constraint. BTW, if you find any Chinese articles in the future, feel free to pm me. I may give you a brief summary, or translation if I am free. :)

Paragraph 1:

非挥发性记忆体厂商旺宏(2337)昨(28)日公布第1季每股净损0.25元。旺宏董事长吴敏求表示,“最糟情况已过”,预期今年第3季很有机会 摆脱亏损,届 时大客户任天堂订单将有关键性影响,该公司目标全年损益平衡。

Yesterday, non-volatile memory vendor Macronix (2337) announced that net loss per share of 0.25 yuan in the first quarter. Wu Miin, chairman of Macronix, stated that "the worst situation has passed". He expects that the company can potentially get rid of loss in the third quarter as the orders of an important customer, Nintendo, will have critical impact. The company targets a profit-loss balance annually.

Paragraph 4:

过去旺宏全年业绩高峰大多出现在第3季,第4季则会下滑,但吴敏求指出,因为任天堂已宣布新平台将于明年3月推出,应会提早备货,旺宏今年第4季营 运可能和第3 季一样好。

In the past, Macronix sales performance usually peaked at third quarter, while declined at the fourth quarter. However, Wu Miin pointed out that because Nintendo has announced that the new platform will be launched in March next year, orders should be placed in advance. Therefore, the operating revenue of Macronix in the fourth quarter may be as good as the third quarter.

Paragraph 6:

吴敏求指出,在任天堂新平台推出之前,今年ROM营收估计持平,但有成长潜能。至于NOR Flash业务,全球市占到去年已达21%,位居第二位,预期在今年接下来的某一季,有望跃升为第一大。旺宏预期今年75奈米以下NOR Flash制程产品会提升至五成,并销售更多高容量产品,车用领域业绩也会持续增加。

Wu Miin noted that before the launch of Nintendo's new platform, the sales of ROM is expected to remain unchanged in this year, but there is growth potential. In respect of NOR Flash business, market share in the global market has reached 21% last year, ranked second. It is expected to climb to first rank in a quarter next year. Macronix expects the sales of 75 nm, or below, NOR Flash process products will increase to 50% and more high-capacity products will be sold. Revenue of automobile sector will continue to increase.

This is a confirmation of there not being a disc drive IMO. That should free up about $20 of the BOM. I'm still betting on 14nmFF; you can all call me crazy, but it seems like the most likely outcome when I put the facts and Nintendo's history together. Thus, every dollar counts.

beril

As others have said it could simply be the ROM chips for the BIOS of the console, which is part of the hardware rather than the software itself being cartridges. I would certainly love them to use more cartridges and I believe it was Eradicate who made a great thread about the pros and cons of a return to cartridge, but this isn't quite a confirmation. Edit: Link to cartridge thread.

It seems unlikely that Marconix would be making a big deal about some small component in a console though. A single big 3DS release would probably be a bigger deal in terms of rom sales for the next couple of years. There are several 3DS games that has sold more than Wii U LTD

Eradicate

Thanks for the praise! You are welcomed! I believe the site is a "newswire" site which links articles from other news outlet. After doing some quick searches, I found that the article appears at a more reputable site like this, so the article should be legit.

There is another discovery. I found this article has interesting information which I don't know if it is true or not. Please take it with a huge grain of salt. Sames as last time, I will only translate the paragraph having the information about NX.

旺宏ROM晶片主要供貨給遊戲機大廠任天堂,第1季雖是銷售淡季,但營收表現仍與去年同期相當,吳敏求表示,由於任天堂才剛宣布,明年3月將推出新一代遊戲機, 並會在日、歐、美等三地同步開賣,所以今年下半年ROM可望擴大出貨,將有很大的成長潛力。

Macronix's ROM chips are usually supplied to videogame console maker, Nintendo. Although the sales is in off season during the first quarter, the revenue is similar compared with the same period last year. Wu Miin suggested that as Nintendo had just announced it will release a new generation console in March next year, and the console will be launched at the same time in Japan, America and Europe, so ROM's sales is expected to increase in the latter half of this year, and it will have a large growth potential.

BTW, the NOR Flash products are for internet and automobile sectors, so the business is not related to NX.

Thanks for checking out that that link is worthwhile after all!

That global launch! Kimi mentioned it, but now we've got another source saying that that's expected and the plan! They are really planning on rolling this puppy out in a big way!

NBKvs.gif

(Also, console!!!....hybrid!) Great find!

And thanks for pointing that out about the NOR Flash things. I am ignorant with these different memory products and what they primarily get used for! I guess I should have figured since it talked about automobiles right after mentioning it, but I never know how these things translate!

Also, Wu Miin...Miin...Mii....

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
If they do use cartridges for the home console...the SCD makes even more sense now...

I think whatever the limitations in using cartridges will be bypassed with SCD. That way it could be 1 game that ran different on home and handheld. Or SCD could give a home experience on handheld.

SCD is the big gimmick this time. Not willing to bet but still...lol.

Eradicate

Hate to double-post, but Skittzo0413 reminded me about that thread, and there were two posts floating around that were very interesting and related:

Poking around Macronix's Q1 2016 QR report it seems they have a 32nm node in the testing phase for full XtraROM production later this year. Current 3DS games use a 75nm production line (maxxing out at 8GB last we'd heard), which means quite a density jump! Maybe cheap 32GB+ NX Game Cards aren't so farfetched after all.

(From http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202026303&postcount=122)

It's been heavily speculated that Nintendo would move to cards for NX game media, based off comments Macronix have made about NX being a major future contributor for them as well as the cross device shared software theory. If an NX console and an NX handheld can play the same games a card rom makes more sense than an optical disc.

I also recently discovered by looking through their QR reports that Macronix has a 32nm XtraROM production line in the testing phases being readied for mass production later this year. XtraROM right now is pretty much only used for 3DS game software (not flash), it's not even sold through retail supply vendors and it uses a 75nm production node. I feel like the obvious takeaway here is the new line's likely being developed for higher capacity roms for Nintendo.

(From http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202226393&postcount=447)

Woo doggy!

(Thanks MacTag! I won't let these posts ever get lost!)

The_Lump

Banned
I'd love for the NX to use cartridges instead of discs, and who knows; maybe it will?

However, the Macronix press release does not tell us that this is the case at all. With or without carts, the NX console is going to have some form of ROM (flash) built into it and Macronix will be the ones making it. Ergo, this is almost certainly what they are referring to.

Occum's Razor and all that ;)

Edit: Although the above post by MacTag lends it a bit more credence. Still not the most likely scenario imo...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It seems unlikely that Marconix would be making a big deal about some small component in a console though. A single big 3DS release would probably be a bigger deal in terms of rom sales for the next couple of years. There are several 3DS games that has sold more than Wii U LTD
That's the only logical conclusion.

That definitely seems like the case, but we really don't know for sure what if any ROM components will be part of the hardware. For all we know it could end up being a major focus of the console or SCD or something else- all I mean is that we shouldn't be taking the Macronix release as 100% confirmation of a return to cartridges, even though it makes it look more likely.

I'd love for the NX to use cartridges instead of discs, and who knows; maybe it will?

However, the Macronix press release does not tell us that this is the case at all. With or without carts, the NX console is going to have some form of ROM (flash) built into it and Macronix will be the ones making it. Ergo, this is almost certainly what they are referring to.

Edit: Although the above post by MacTag lends it a bit more credence. Still not the most likely scenario imo...

I'd tend to agree with Beril's reasoning that it actually seems more likely that this does refer to ROM for software aka cartridges, but I agree with you that we can't take any of this info as any sort of confirmation.

Edit:

Actually all this cartridge talk should remind us that we really have no idea how the whole console/handheld idea will come to be, or if there even will be a traditional home console or a traditional handheld or both, or neither. For all we know they could very well be planning a simultaneous release of 2 handheld SKUs and 2 console SKUs, and the ROM chips are for the handheld cartridges, with one (or more) of the console SKUs playing optical media.

Basically all I'm trying to say is that Macronix release doesn't really strongly hint to cartridges for a home console, though it could certainly be the case.

TunaLover

Cartridges are faster yeah, but still I'm worried about the big sized ones, we are talking about 50gb as the standart right now, that think is not cheap.

I just don't want 3rd parties make excuses again about media capacity.

I still think we have more "evidence" that it will have a screen than we do against that:

-Zelda confirmed cross gen
-Splatoon/Mario Maker heavily rumored (would not REQUIRE the screen but it would greatly diminish the experiences without it)
-Quote about "absorbing Wii U architecture," though that could mean anything really
-Keep console parity (for shared library) with a dual screen handheld (if they go that route, which I suspect they will)
-Analyst expecting a large increase in shipments of 3.1in-5in screens (Source)

The only point I can think of against continuing with a screen controller is the price, and I'm fairly sure a controller screen would be MUCH cheaper to manufacture in 2016-2017 than it was in 2011-2012, due to the emergence of streaming technologies like Miracast.

I'm still not seeing it. Kimishima said the NX is a brand new concept. I don't know how many times he's said this. Another controller with a screen is not a brand new concept. If anything the Super Mario Maker port or Splatoon port could mean the Gamepad is compatible with the NX and/or there's a NX handheld that can be used as a controller for the NX console.

The_Lump

Banned
I'd tend to agree with Beril's reasoning that it actually seems more likely that this does refer to ROM for software aka cartridges, but I agree with you that we can't take any of this info as any sort of confirmation.

Edit:

Actually all this cartridge talk should remind us that we really have no idea how the whole console/handheld idea will come to be, or if there even will be a traditional home console or a traditional handheld or both, or neither. For all we know they could very well be planning a simultaneous release of 2 handheld SKUs and 2 console SKUs, and the ROM chips are for the handheld cartridges, with one (or more) of the console SKUs playing optical media.

Basically all I'm trying to say is that Macronix release doesn't really strongly hint to cartridges for a home console, though it could certainly be the case.

Fair points. And yep, everything is on the table at this point!

Thraktor

Macronix's comments could be taken as a confirmation that a device Nintendo launches in March 2017 will use game cards, but not necessarily that every device Nintendo launches in March 2017 will use game cards. That is, they could launch both a home console and a handheld at the same time, with the home console sticking to optical media.

Neoxon

True, and Nintendo going for cartridges may be more likely given how Macronix is hyping up their involvement with Nintendo. But there's also the possibility of Macronix giving a different kind of major contribution, whatever form that may take. Though overall, I do agree on the possibility of using cartridges. If the console & handheld use the exact same cartridge type, that could save Nintendo shelf space & money in the long-run.

Eradicate

This is a confirmation of there not being a disc drive IMO. That should free up about $20 of the BOM. I'm still betting on 14nmFF; you can all call me crazy, but it seems like the most likely outcome when I put the facts and Nintendo's history together. Thus, every dollar counts.

I think you're right! 14nm is seeming very likely now, and whatever they can do to help pay for it, they likely are! Isn't it crazy that a disc drive can save so much money per unit?

If they do use cartridges for the home console...the SCD makes even more sense now...

I think whatever the limitations in using cartridges will be bypassed with SCD. That way it could be 1 game that ran different on home and handheld. Or SCD could give a home experience on handheld.

SCD is the big gimmick this time. Not willing to bet but still...lol.

Hmmm...that's actually an interesting idea! I never thought about SCDs being used to give extra juice (all the different things they are claiming the SCDs can do!) for cartridges! No, bet on it!

I for one welcome our cartridge future.

If that's what's in store, me too!

I'm trying not to get carried away with the thought either because it could be just for the system, but they're making it so hard with all these different pieces of evidence coming out! It is a wild scenario, but who knows?

That's the only logical conclusion.

blu does!

That definitely seems like the case, but we really don't know for sure what if any ROM components will be part of the hardware. For all we know it could end up being a major focus of the console or SCD or something else- all I mean is that we shouldn't be taking the Macronix release as 100% confirmation of a return to cartridges, even though it makes it look more likely.

Yeah, the SCD! Didn't think about extra ROM for that either if that is coming out!

Gosh, it really could be about anything, couldn't it?!

Cartridges are faster yeah, but still I'm worried about the big sized ones, we are talking about 50gb as the standart right now, that think is not cheap.

I just don't want 3rd parties make excuses again about media capacity.

And that's the thing too. Hopefully most third-parties are fine with cartridges since many are putting games out on 3DS (plus they have the digital option too). But, yes, excuses!

I'm still not seeing it. Kimishima said the NX is a brand new concept. I don't know how many times he's said this. Another controller with a screen is not a brand new concept. If anything the Super Mario Maker port or Splatoon port could mean the Gamepad is compatible with the NX and/or there's a NX handheld that can be used as a controller for the NX console.

A brand new concept doesn't exclude an included screen controller though.

The "brand new concept" could even be the shared library (that would be kinda boring) or something else software based rather than control based or hardware based, although I do believe they're going to introduce a new control method (I personally think it'll be based on eye/head tracking and direct game control based on eye/head movements, with a camera on the controller doing the sensing) but a new control method certainly doesn't preclude the possibility of a screen controller.

I think the screen controller will become the new standard for Nintendo consoles, it just offers too many benefits and will go nowhere but down in manufacturing costs.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Do we have older Macronix's financial briefings, around the period before Wii U's launch? That could tell us if Macronix used similar wording even for ROM used for BIOS.

Well, at this stage the brand new concept can refer to everything. What if the concept is not about how we play the games, but rather how the consoles output the games? Like using SCD? This is possible, as well as all other things like free-form display etc. We are still in the dark and really have no idea about the new concept. The discussion is easily falling into pure speculation / wishful thinking that I don't think OP wants to see in this thread.

Meanwhile, I do agree that another controller with a screen is happening. The evidence is summed up by Skittzo0413 so I am not going to repeat. I think, while gamepad is certainly a new concept in 2011/12, it can become a traditional idea which Nintendo wants to adopt to future console, like NX. In addition, we cannot buy a Wii U gamepad separately (for now), so I think the chance of compatibility is quite small as the new players cannot access to it easily. There is also no hint for a NX handheld so I don't know if there is really one in development. Therefore, I am inclined to believe NX controller is going to have a screen.

The_Lump

Banned
Do we have older Macronix's financial briefings, around the period before Wii U's launch? That could tell us if Macronix used similar wording even for ROM used for BIOS.

Good question. I could be wrong but I vaguely recall Rosti having the scoop on that. Unless I'm thinking of something else (in which case sorry Rosti!)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Good question. I could be wrong but I vaguely recall Rosti having the scoop on that. Unless I'm thinking of something else (in which case sorry Rosti!)
You may be thinking of a post I wrote regarding MoSys not supplying 1T-SRAM for Wii U. Macronix briefings mentioning Wii U do not seem available from Macronix's IR page. Only annual reports from several years ago available there.

Mpl90

To my knowledge, no.

When's the next investor briefing for Panasonic? Also, any link to both Panasonic and Macronix's IR pages? I'll see if I can find anything in the next few hours.

Mpl90

Other question (suggestion by a friend of mine :p): do we know what kind of numbers Macronix produces for ROMs? In that way, we could understand better how much their numbers would be influenced by a growth sustained by NX using ROM carts.

Panasonic not mentioning Nintendo or disc drives? Ok I'm fully on board of the NX being cartridge based!

@_@ please show me

Eradicate

So there hasn't been any announcements from Panasonic who usually provide optical media?

Great question! I haven't seen anything yet, but it may not be in the "normal" news or anything at the moment! Maybe something is out there?!

When's the next investor briefing for Panasonic? Also, any link to both Panasonic and Macronix's IR pages? I'll see if I can find anything in the next few hours.

Panasonic actually just had their briefing on April 28 as well! Here are the main IR pages for both:

Macronix - http://www.macronix.com/en-us/InvestorRelations/FinancialResults/Pages/QuarterlyResults.aspx (You can browse the different results right to the left)

Panasonic - http://www.panasonic.com/global/corporate/ir/library.html

No mention of game consoles and/or Nintendo in Panasonic's recent annual financial report
http://www.panasonic.com/global/corporate/ir/release.html

Do they provide drives for the Xbox One or PS4?

Feels like drives for the Wii U successor might be a small enough business proposition for Panasonic that it could feasibly be omitted from financial reports.

Thanks for looking there! I agree...probably just chump change to really include there. It could be in another report though...maybe? Also, I don't know if they have any press releases or anything (maybe on the Japanese site?) that mentioned they'd be providing anything?

Also, I THINK they do provide the drives for the other consoles...

Other question (suggestion by a friend of mine :p): do we know what kind of numbers Macronix produces for ROMs? In that way, we could understand better how much their numbers would be influenced by a growth sustained by NX using ROM carts.

Their latest release has a bunch of numbers for sales, shipments, etc., including charts with historical data:

http://www.macronix.com/Lists/QuarterlyResults/Attachments/214/2016Q1%20webcast%20PPT_en.pdf

Ooooh...some of the charts do go back to 2012...(like Slide 13)

MuchoMalo

Banned
Macronix's comments could be taken as a confirmation that a device Nintendo launches in March 2017 will use game cards, but not necessarily that every device Nintendo launches in March 2017 will use game cards. That is, they could launch both a home console and a handheld at the same time, with the home console sticking to optical media.

While technically true, the evidence of a handheld coming is practically non-existent. We have that Ori dev and... Well, not much else.

No mention of game consoles and/or Nintendo in Panasonic's recent annual financial report

Feels like drives for the Wii U successor might be a small enough business proposition for Panasonic that it could feasibly be omitted from financial reports.

Eh... If they mention it for other systems, I expect... Oh shit I just realized something... Um, I expect them to mention it for NX. If they weren't mentioned, then NX would not be mentioned.

Uh, I need to do some important fact checking. Be right back.

Fake edit: I can't find what I was looking for, but wasn't there some report from TSMC hinting at NX being produced there? If so, there goes my 14nm theory. :/ Well, unless they were to supply something other than the APU.

KingBroly

Banned
I don't think getting rid of the second screen in Splatoon would be a significant loss, as it can be implemented in other ways for strikes, going to teammates and looking at the ink breakdown on-screen.

Mario Maker, on the other hand, needs the 2nd screen for making levels. So unless they change things around and or build an app to create levels, I wonder what they're going to do if NX doesn't have a 2nd screen.

Neoxon

Fair argument. But if they're providing the physical medium for a new system, they probably would be hyping it up about as much as Macronix is hyping up their involvement with Nintendo this fiscal year.

what-ok

So no NX at E3. CHECK
Ok so the focus is on Zelda and its anniversary. CHECK
Anyone think nintendo will have a NX exclusive event before or shortly after E3 so all focus is on the new system and not overshadowed by the competition?

MuchoMalo

Banned
So no NX at E3. CHECK
Ok so the focus is on Zelda and its anniversary. CHECK
Anyone think nintendo will have a NX exclusive event before or shortly after E3 so all focus is on the new system and not overshadowed by the competition?

Just expect to wait until September or later.

The_Lump

Banned
Rösti;202609057 said:
You may be thinking of a post I wrote regarding MoSys not supplying 1T-SRAM for Wii U. Macronix briefings mentioning Wii U do not seem available from Macronix's IR page. Only annual reports from several years ago available there.

Haha, that's EXACTLY what I was thinking of! Sorry. My brain just thought "Memory Supplier + Financial Breifing = Rosti > Searching........Ping!"

thefro

Fair argument. But if they're providing the physical medium for a new system, they probably would be hyping it up about as much as Macronix is hyping up their involvement with Nintendo this fiscal year.

Panasonic is a giant international company. Selling disc drives to Nintendo is going to have minimal impact on their bottom line.

Macronix is relatively small in comparison.

Panasonic had $69 billion in revenue last year... Macronix only had $628 million.

LewieP

Panasonic is a giant international company. Selling disc drives to Nintendo is going to have minimal impact on their bottom line.

Macronix is relatively small in comparison.

Especially for something as rote as a "standard DVD or Blu Ray drive" rather than custom hardware.

Eradicate

A hardware-related thing hidden in the original thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=195616892&postcount=5575

Rösti said:
I'm not sure about the business of this company in relation to Nintendo and NX, but I think it can still be of interest to bring up (mainly because a better translation than the one I can provide is needed). Anyway, Yashima Denki Co., Ltd. today announced that it will split its Electronic Device / Component Business into a separate company, tentatively called Yashima Electronic Components Co., Ltd. Yashima's listed major customer for this segment is Nintendo. Exactly what they provide Nintendo for the current systems I don't know, but Hitachi Display sold the TFT liquid crystal display module for DS Lite to Nintendo through Yashima Denki.

Yashima Denki is a hardware provider for Nintendo and will be for NX...for what, who knows, but here are some of their suppliers:

Microcomputers, SRAMs, EEPROMs, general-purpose semiconductors - Renesas Electronic Corporation
Liquid Crystal - Japan Display Inc. (merged into Sharp?)
Power Semiconductors - Hitachi Power Devices
Batteries - Hitachi Maxell Co., Ltd. and TWS Industrial Ltd.
DRAM - Etron Technology, Inc.
Capacitor - Holy Stone Polytech Co., Ltd
Laser Diodes - Oclaro Japan
Sensor - Touchence Inc.
Middleware - Data Technology Inc.
Built-In Communication Modules - HMS Industrial Networks

Can check it out here: http://www.yashimadenki.co.jp/yds/solution_denshi.php

I will hunt around and see if Panasonic has mentioned Nintendo in any press releases or anything! The latest one I saw doing a general Google search is here:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/09/nintendo_acquires_27_percent_of_panasonicrs_pux_technology_which_includes_voice_recognition

http://news.panasonic.com/jp/topics/2013/38141.html

Variety of inputs eh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom