• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would you change about the PS3?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Fight for Freeform said:
You asked for it... :p

i dont think that'd be a good shape, especially since the sharp edge at the bottom can be used for impaling it in your chest or in the top of someone's head

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
If keeping it at the same price, double the RAM, get a slightly better GPU and ditch Blu Ray.

If lowering the price, then just get rid of blu ray.

Kabouter

1) 4x blu-ray drive
2) 512MB of XDR RAM + 512MB of GDDR3
3) A controller design completely ripped off from Microsoft and of course sans waggle
4) Windows Vista instead of stupid Linux
5) (make the architecture x86 to help with #4 :p)
6) G80 based GPU
7) 3,5" 7200RPM 250GB HDD in high-end model. 120GB in lower-tier model.
8) Release in Europe in 2006
9) Quantities of the console

If I was in charge:

*I would add a port in the pack on the core pack for a wifi addon, or just add a usb port on the back

*I would add a port under the flap on the core pack for a card reader addon (as opposed to there being just nothing there), and included with this card reader (in the addon, and in the premium) would be a PS2 memory card port.

*Would include a composite/component bundle cable like the 360 premium.

*Would change the look and feel of the sixaxis just a little bit, to make it not look so industrial, and more fit the look of the system. Would also make the PS button change colors, the same colors as the triangle, circle, square, and X buttons.

That's about it.

Forsete

:lol @ BD hate.

Yeah, lets dump BD and give the devs some extra headaches.

The only thing I'd change is the availability of the system and more system RAM.
Oh and bring back the “banana” controller. :)

Hmm, is "make Sony act less arrogant" an option? No? "Lower price with all of the same expensive features"? Unlikely? Then I'll just talk about the controller...

Scrap the controller and replace it with something actually decent. Two generations in a row with the winning console having by far the worst controller is far more than enough...

My basic opinions in controller design:
1: six face buttons is better than four.
2. triggers are better than shoulder buttons.
3. more than one shoulder button per side is bad design.
4. analog in upper position, d-pad below, if they need to be next to eachother. (ie the N64's "separate prongs" solution was one I liked. Make BOTH comfortable, instead of having one be in the right place and the other one (whichever one is in the lower spot) be a bit uncomfortable...

Thus, the N64 and Saturn have fantastic controllers, the GC and Xbox decent ones, and the PSX/PS2 poor ones. And I think I prefer the Genesis 6-button controller to the SNES pad, but that's closer (one with both the six face buttons and shoulder buttons (which, while annoying, are good for stuff like racing games -- F-Zero proves the worth of shoulder buttons...) would be better... oh wait, the N64 and Saturn had that. :) The N64 controller and Saturn analog controller even had (a) true trigger(s), which is better than any shoulder button... GC didn't, and cut back on the face buttons, which was dissapointing; Xbox badly messed up the black/white button placement in both controllers (though it is better in the original than the S -- at least they're near where they should be (that is, the standard 6-button layout)), and has bizarre start/select button placement in the S as well... and the Dreamcast? Saturn analog controller, minus two face buttons. Bad move. Still decent, but the loss of C and Z was dissapointing...)

... as for the Wii, it's too different to even compare to any other controller. We'll see, but I would have liked if it'd had a few more face buttons... I understand style-wise they didn't want to do it, but... (and darnit, the classic controller BADLY needs six face buttons for proper Genesis and N64 play! Four face buttons for N64 and Genesis? Particularly for N64, it won't work, as OoT for GC proved...)

Anyway, the question. Bring back the boomerang (design-wise so much nicer looking than the SNES-with-handles design they're still using...) , but with six face buttons, only two triggers, and the d-pad and analog switch switched. :) And with rumble. Just pay Immersion already...

Acosta

2006 release in Europe without any type of region restriction (ps/ps2/ps3 games compatible no matter what region they are for) and/or universal 110/220 power supply for easy import option.

I´m very convinced for PS3 specs and features, I think is going to be a great machine with ton of potential. Some import loving would be welcomed but in the actual scenario, I think is going to be harder to import from this point.

Tieno

-Make it smaller
-Less expensive
-!Better controller, with rumble and more up to date and modern controller design (think 360 controller)!
-Can't say anything about online as I have to play and see that for myself

Everything else is pretty good. My list for the 360 is a lot bigger.

Aske

Bebpo said:
1)More ram. 1gig
2)Faster BRD. 4-8x
3)RUMBLE

That's about it. I'm pretty much happy with all the other areas or they don't effect me so I don't care about them :p

Total agreement here.

Fredrik

Johnny said:
4) Replaceable battery packs.
5) Proper concave triggers, racing games demand it.
Yes that plus rumble, $399 and achievements is enough for me. And I would like a Tekken at launch.

To the people saying the left analog stick should be in the top position:

Doesn't the controller have to be symmetrical so its weighted properly for the motion sensor? I'm sure the sensor would still work, but wouldn't it be less comfortable.

Tobor

sugarhigh4242 said:
To the people saying the left analog stick should be in the top position:

Doesn't the controller have to be symmetrical so its weighted properly for the motion sensor? I'm sure the sensor would still work, but wouldn't it be less comfortable.

So I should be uncomfortable playing every game released on this system so that i can hold the reins on a ****** dragon properly?

We have gone through massive revisions and changes in the gaming world in the past 11 years, but I should be happy about using the same stupid design that was uncomfortable back in 1995? But I guess I'll have dragon reins, so that rocks!

Hopefully Logitech will step in and fix this mess.

VALIS

NO

BLU

RAY

!!

This is why I'm not buying one for the foreseeable future. Without BRD, and the price adjusted accordingly, I'd own one ASAP.

Ain't gonna pay for your HD disc format war, sorry Sony.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
A built-in TV tuner would be nice. I would also have liked to see the PS3 ship with Linux in the box.

For gaming purposes they should have redesigned the controller. While lots of people are used to the PS controller design its ergonomics are crap.

ORANGUTAN

Banned
Remove Blu-Ray then add 512mb of RAM and spruce up RSX a little bit

It's a shame we, consumers, had to get a format forced upon us to help Sony financially (and it will make billions if BR wins), instead of getting a better gaming console

1gb of ram would've been incredible... the 'generational leap' and 'orders of magnititude more powerful' quotes would actually fit

Also, rumble in the controller...

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
temjin said:
Aesthetically?

Spiderman font.

And the actual PS3 design.

I don't think its a terrible design, but the original PS2 wasn't so sexy either. I expect great things from the PSthree.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
- cheaper ($400 max) and smaller
- non-ugly design
- no blu-ray
- WiFi as standard
- stop using dualshock

h_a_t

Fight for Freeform said:
You asked for it... :p

davepoobond said:
i dont think that'd be a good shape, especially since the sharp edge at the bottom can be used for impaling it in your chest or in the top of someone's head

haha, I think there would've been a lot more game related deaths with that thing and the frustration certain games like DMC3 can cause.

As for the thread:

-Make it about $100 cheaper.

-Include Rumble, seriously now, the controller is $50. I don't care if many developers don't know how to incorporate rumble correctly, let's just not punish the gamers by excluding that function from developers that do.

-The top of the analog sticks to be concave.

-If you are going to charge $600 and pusing 1080p, at least include some hdmi or component cables; they don't have to be Monster cables.

Forsete said:
:lol @ BD hate.

Yeah, lets dump BD and give the devs some extra headaches.
Lack of Blu-Ray would be no problem since a lot are developing for X360 and they aren't exactly crying either.

Cutting Blu-Ray would:

-Lower the cost of PS3 by as much as $100
-Help produce significantly more PS3

That seems pretty important to me. And let's be honest, Sony doesn't want Blu-Ray to make things easy for developers (because they certainly didn't thanks to Cell), but because they want to push their proprietary formats like they've always done (think Sony Memory Sticks, UMD).

These are the things I would do:

One SKU (one version with one HDMI output, 2 USB ports, 20GB HDD (upgradable) for $400
Cut Blu-Ray
Copy the Wii controller

NinSoX

Banned
Mr. TV Goggles said:
Lack of Blu-Ray would be no problem since a lot are developing for X360 and they aren't exactly crying either.

Cutting Blu-Ray would:

That seems pretty important to me. And let's be honest, Sony doesn't want Blu-Ray to make things easy for developers (because they certainly didn't thanks to Cell), but because they want to push their proprietary formats like they've always done (think Sony Memory Sticks, UMD).

It's too late. Sony basically designed the whole PS3 around blu-ray :lol

bigfurb

VALIS said:
NO

BLU

RAY

!!

This is why I'm not buying one for the foreseeable future. Without BRD, and the price adjusted accordingly, I'd own one ASAP.

Ain't gonna pay for your HD disc format war, sorry Sony.
And replace it with what, dvd? That makes no sense to me. It's a new generation of hardware, one that pimps supercomputer processing power and hi-def graphics, a higher capacity disc media is a must. Sure taking out blu-ray makes it more affordable to those who are to broke to be early adopters, but it hurts the system in the long run. If you can't afford it now, tough, buy it later when the price eventually drops. But don't downgrade the system to make it more affordable to charlie cheapass. If you want something cheaper, buy a 360 tardpack

7Th

sugarhigh4242 said:
If that little piece of near-junk can do it, why can't I listen to music while browsing the web on the PSP?!

QFMFT

The fact that there's no music multi-tasking kills it as a comic/manga reader for me.

davepoobond

Mr. TV Goggles said:

Cutting Blu-Ray would:

These are the things I would do:

One SKU (one version with one HDMI output, 2 USB ports, 20GB HDD (upgradable) for $400
Cut Blu-Ray
Copy the Wii controller

you honestly think that Sony would be selling the PS3 at any price other than what they've announced if they changed anything in that box?

they're selling it at a price point because that's the price point they planned to sell it at. If they took the blu-ray out they'd STILL be losing money on it at the current price points, and would still be charging what they have announced already.

Raistlin

gofreak said:
I'll stick to things that can be changed via software:

1) Add RSS feed support ala PSP
2) Add DVD upscaling
3) Multi-tasking in the OS, and between games and the OS (e.g. I can bring up a web browser in-game etc.)
4) The whole in-game xmb accessing/messaging/friends interaction/etc. etc. stuff sorted out
5) DLNA compliance
6) '3D' Infrared Eyetoy (OK, don't know if this is a change or not, but it's a pet thing of mine :p)
7) Web browser downloads (IGN's article was a bit ambiguous on this..was Harrison just talking about gmail attachments being restricted, or downloads generally?)
8) Simultaneous GameOS/Linux operation (again, we don't know how this works yet, so don't know if it'd be a change or not)

Although I wonder how much I care about some of these things now that Linux is there..they could add a lot to the xmb, but for the media stuff, Linux would probably still be always more flexible and bear more potential.

If I think of more, I'll edit..

nice list

Odysseus

Banned
davepoobond said:
let's see it then buddy

B000B6MLUA.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64257959_.jpg

^Whipped that up in Paint in 5 minutes. ;)

Tarjeta Prepagada said:
Absolutely nothing.

Its perfection from where i stand.

It would need to play every game made in order to be perfection. Well, actually, play every game made and do so without waggle.

davepoobond

Odysseus said:
B000B6MLUA.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64257959_.jpg

^Whipped that up in Paint in 5 minutes. ;)

what version of Paint do you have?

i have the one that only lets you save in bitmap.

and for the record, i think the 360's controller has cheapish plastic

Odysseus

Banned
davepoobond said:
what version of Paint do you have?

i have the one that only lets you save in bitmap.

and for the record, i think the 360's controller has cheapish plastic

I think mine is a beta of Paint Vista.

I've just never liked the dualshock design. Needs longer handles. And offset sticks. It seems they've made the shoulder buttons more trigger like, so that's cool.

Kangu said:
In this thread we make thinly veiled trolls depending on our biases.

Yea, seems like some people think this thread is called "How much would you cripple the PS3 so it would bomb immediately?" :/

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
One more thing.

Make it compatible with Zelda: TP, and have the ability to upscale to 720p with high res textures, HDR lighting, and ridiculously complicated water effects.

That is all. :)

Odysseus

Banned
_leech_ said:
Yea, seems like some people think this thread is called "How much would you cripple the PS3 so it would bomb immediately?" :/

I don't think any suggestion that removes Blu Ray is something that would cause PS3 to bomb. In fact, I've said multiple times that if Sony had elected to use DVD and combat Microsoft directly on price, there's no question in my mind it would be another bloodbath that would see Sony out front by 80 million consoles once again. Their decision to use Blu Ray is one that might win them the next-gen DVD war, but it certainly will make this console race closer than it has any business being.

Top Bottom