• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the worst game you've played to completion and why did you stick with it?

I don't know really, but the one that first came to mind was Sonic: Lost Worlds. Probably my most hated game in recent memory. I only stuck with it because it wasn't all that long and I had nothing else to play at the time.

Curufinwe

This gen I'd say Tales of Xillia. Not a bad game, but I didn't like the battle system so it was a real chore to finish.

JaseMath

SSX. Parts of the game were so frustrating, I almost wonder if the game was play tested. I only stuck with it out of pride; I convinced myself that a "real" SSX fan would get the platinum.

Dead Island. I couldn't stand the game, but every once in a while, it felt like everything came together and the game was actually fun. Then it would all fall apart again and was just a chore to get through. I finally just grit my teeth and powered through the last chapter of the game just to get it over with. After finishing that garbage, I have no interest in Dying Light. I just can't trust Techland.

Phatcorns

Darksiders. Got it free on PS Plus and was determined to see what all the hullabaloo was about. Turned out to be a boring game with decent production values. Ugh.

Kssio_Aug

Assassins Creed III.
The game had a HORRIBLE and long start, and I kept going because I believed it would be much better when you would control Connor. Then, the game was still very clunky, with many bugs that forced me to restart missions, its same old poor gameplay, and a addition of many horrible missions.

Pushed it till the end for 3 reasons:
-The game took long to start and I did it.
-I played all main AC game before it, and was interested to see the end (and I still cant believe how they could shit that much on it).
-I paid full price for it.

antitrop

FFXIII

I don't think it's a terrible game now...but while I was playing I was having a terrible time with it. I kept playing hoping the story was going to make sense at the end.

But I was still confused and angry. D<

I played through Final Fantasy XIII because I was enjoying the battle system, but after I beat the game I realized I had no idea what had happened in the story or why I should care about any of the characters. It left me feeling hollow and empty inside. It was one of those games I didn't realize I hated until I had finished it.

Probably Back to the Future for NES. It was one of the only games I owned that I hadn't beaten yet. Plus, I was a really big fan of the movie.

In more modern times, probably Sonic Adventure. I kept telling myself it wasn't a pile of crap and that it would get better.

Phhhh

Remember Me. So many interesting ideas and great visual design. So many frustrating moments that made me want to throw the controller through the screen. I didn't want the game to beat me and I expected this super cool plot twist just because it was a game based on memories, but the twist was kinda meh.

takoyaki

Golden Axe Beast Rider - because I thought it would get good at some point, like PLAY magazine told me ;-)

Matt Hazard on 360 - the game was horrible, but the dialogue was quite fun

Deadly Towers. It was my first game I chose for myself so I had to make it worth it in the end. Also I hadn't yet discovered game rentals and this was pretty much all I had besides the two games I had beaten.

Amagon was the second game I chose for myself. Frustrating and not very good, last boss was so goofy. Thankfully I started to make better choices by subscribing to Nintendo Power.

Marjar

Banned
Duke Nukem Forever.

I wanted to see how terrible it got and how it ended.

It actually got better at the end. I thought the final boss was the only decent part of the game.

The ending is utter shit though.

Metroid Other M.

I beat it because it's Metroid. The whole game was just me thinking, "Okay, this is a Metroid game, it has to get better, right?" But it only got worse and worse.

Bennicus

L.A. Noire, I hoped the that eventually story would redeem the game it in the end... ...it did not.

I'm torn between this and Heavy Rain. In both cases I was expecting the ending to be a load of balls but was curious as to the degree of balls-ness so I finished them.
They were both balls polished to the nth degree

DJ_Lae

Eternal Sonata I played the majority of it while high that got me through that part. Then I started playing it sober and was like, "main this is pretty easy". I kept waiting for the "action-packed battle system that continually keeps you on your toes" (Kevin Van Ord, Gamespot) and "the pseudo-real-time system has a surprising amount of depth" (Erik Brudvig, IGN) to kick in. It never did.

Haha, I did the same thing with that game. It's amazing that unlike most RPGs the combat actually gets worse the further you get, as the additional mechanics do the game no favours.

Then you've got stuff like Fort Fermata, which I'd put up there with some of the worst dungeon design in JRPGs. And the annoying characters, and the insane story, and the more I think about it the more I wonder why on earth I actually played the game.

I must have been starved for JRPGs at the time.

I'm the kind of gamer that is more likely to play through a truly bad game than a mediocre one.

Probably Drakengard 1.
I have a long write-up from several years ago that explains it. (SPOILERS)

More recently? Definitely Duke Nukem Forever.
A game so shockingly bad that I just had to see what happens next.

bobawesome

I don't remember Baten Kaitos having too many redeeming qualities but I stuck with it because it was the only game I had one Summer
aside from Resident Evil 0.

bigace33

Mafia II probably - it was crap but it had amazing atmosphere

Crap? Mafia II was amazing. It had a couple hard as nails boss fights but it was a great game. Hardly a chore. I'd say Aliens Colonial Marines. I love the universe and lore so I held out with hopes that it would some how lose it's jank and become a good game. I had some fun with it but it was a serious chore to finish.

Pro

Bravely Default - cause I could leave it on auto-battle for Chapters 5-8 to include the final boss.

Verelios

Luminous Arc. God what a piece of shit game, absolutely putrid. But hell if I wasn't going to complete it with the smallest hopes of a redeemable quality, of anything, no matter how little. Characterization, plot, a twist, amusing jokes, I'd even take a song and dance.

What a miserable excuse for an SRPG.

The Walking dead just to see the hype. After 10 minutes realized that this is not even a game. You just click on things.

Spec Ops The Line, same reason as above the hype. The shooting mechanics were bad and the entire key binding was ridiculous. Still played to the end and liked the ending.

spliced

Mark of Kri.

I was really in the mood for gaming but it was the only game I had access to at the time.

I also beat Ratchet and Clank Size Matters on PS2. This was probably the worse game but being a R&C fan I powered through.

I also beat Drakhen for the SNES. Not sure why I played because I found the combat and walking around to be atrocious. To be honest I think the only thing that kept me going was the amazingly strange soundtrack and audio. The enemies were rather surreal at times so maybe that quirk had something to do with it.

Skyward Sword. I have never before found a Zelda title too frustrating to control, too boring, too repetitive, too empty, too many tutorials, etc. The weird thing is that this is still a great game compared to almost any other game, its just unfortunate that it happens to have Zelda in the name. I stuck with it because I am a 'finisher' for better or worse, especially with the franchises that I hold dear. The next 3D Zelda will redeem the series, I'm sure.

mantrakid

Back to the Future (using save states) for NES because i always wanted to get to the end as a kid.

Fucking sucked.

jimi_dini

GTA IV

Took me quite some time until I finished it and even got platinum. Was pretty sick at that time and had literally nothing else to play. What a piece of shit.

Oh right and Resistance 2. Forced myself through the single player. Played coop, that so many people love. I hated it. And the fucking deathmatch, oh god. It's so bad. I forced myself through quite a few boosting sessions just to get platinum and this only happened a few months before they closed down servers. Hated everything, it's so terrible.

2 perfect examples to show how bad trophies actually are. Normally I would have sold those games immediately.

galvatron

Deadly Towers. It was my first game I chose for myself so I had to make it worth it in the end. Also I hadn't yet discovered game rentals and this was pretty much all I had besides the two games I had beaten.

Amagon was the second game I chose for myself. Frustrating and not very good, last boss was so goofy. Thankfully I started to make better choices by subscribing to Nintendo Power.

OMG...I had a no BS policy even as a kid. After getting Deadly Towers for Christmas I started making detailed lists of every acceptable game release for a given year to avoid ever having quantity over quality again.

I've probably got the cart in storage and only finished a few screens to this day.

Sergiepoo

Final Fantasy 4: The After Years

As a fan of FF4, I wanted to find out what happened to Cecil and the gang in the sequel, plus after years was the next stop on my play-through of the entire series. What I got was maybe a couple dozen lines of new story mixed in with a 60 hour slog through repetitive dungeons and whole scenarios recycled from the original game.

I pushed forward because people told me the final chapter was the best part of the game, but the final dungeon pretty much consisted of
fighting copy and pasted bosses from all the other 2-D games
, which is the same gimmick they used in the FF1 & 2 remakes. In the one area where a little original content would be appropriate, Square cribbed one of their most unoriginal ideas from equally lazy projects. And fans back in the day praised Square for this shit.

Furthermore, Cecil's son is a tool, the moon phases add nothing, and the ending establishes that the creator of all Final Fantasy universes is
an inter-dimensional space bunny
. Fuck After Years.

bumpkin

The three that come to mind immediately...

Resident Evil 6 - I probably don't even need to try and explain this. Bottom line, I enjoyed Chris' campaign the most (or hated it least)... And given what RE is supposed to be about, that says a lot.

Assassin's Creed 3 - ...simply because I had completed all of the prior games and I wanted to know how it ended. Too bad Connor was an insufferable, annoying, un-charismatic, whiney pain in the ass.

F.E.A.R. 3 - I never played the first game and somewhat enjoyed the second, but good god, one time through the game with a buddy and I was all set. I can't put my finger on why... I think it was the game's abundant areas where you're outnumbered and under-equipped on ammo.

Kurod

Banned
It was the first game I bought with my own money and I was damn determined to conquer this piece of crap.

23mfVoW.jpg

ref

Probably Alone in the Dark.

It was an awful, unpolished and frustrating mess, but it had an amazing soundtrack and really neat gameplay ideas.

Hexa

Sonic 2006. It was the first game I got for PS3. Was the only game I had for like 6 months, since I was 12 and my parents wouldn't buy me any more. :(

Claneko

Vanilla Ninja Gaiden 3 on the 360 is the most recent I can think of. Why did I do it? I don't know...I don't. It bored the hell out of me and I think it was the fact that I spent money on it that motivated me to see it through. Promptly sold it after completing it. I am, however, in the camp that feels Razor's Edge is a much better, more competent game all around. Not perfect at all, but so much better than the original version which I loathed.

Top Bottom