• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the worst game you've played to completion and why did you stick with it?

milena87

Gears of War.

I hated pretty much every second of it, but my brother wanted to play together because I suppose there was an achievement for the higher difficulty or something.

Sonic Adventure, horrible game but I had nothing else to play at the time and Halo 3, so boring it took me a year to take it back up after the first stage.

There's been far worse games I've played but I don't usually finish them.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Resident Evil 6 - Friend forced my hand and I had to play the game so that I can openly criticize what a piece of shit it is.

Gears of War.

I hated pretty much every second of it, but my brother wanted to play together because I suppose there was an achievement for the higher difficulty or something.

Dude, if that's the worst game you've played... You've played some all-time historically great games.

Sonic 2006. I view it as a rite of passage, everyone should be forced to go through it at least once. Only then will you understand what a 'bad' game actually is.

This and Shadow the Hedgehog for story line purposes. Ironically these two games were so bad that I ended up becoming primarily Gameplay focused afterwards even to the point I could judge a game's depth through a video.

For me it's Bioshock.

256px-BioShock_cover.jpg

I played it to understand what all the hype was about and by the end, I still didn't understand what all the hype was about.

This, i understand what people saw in the game, but it hit all the wrong notes with me every one of them.
On another note afterfall insanity is a pretty bad game, but a really "good" bad game for me i don´t recomend anyone to play it except if they are into the insane sci-fi movies of the seventies, eighties
Other one is Rage, it did so many things wrong, except the character movement and the shooting wich for me was great and made me went to the end, but is a game with too many problems, but i liked the shootgun and the pistol with the big mommas? bullets, can´t remember its name, but i could expend hours shooting those guns, and in fact i did

Pryor

Assassin's Creed: Revelations
Bought it on the back of the AC II / BH hype train. I got platinum in II and everything but a couple of MP trophies in BH so I came into this thinking the good times would continue to roll... How wrong I was.
It started off bad and it got worse as it went along. I hated it but the need for closure drove me on. What was my reward at the end of this horrible journey? A slap in the face!

I usually abandon games I don't enjoy, but Project X Zone I finished for no reason I can adequately explain, despite being a repetitive, boring, time-consuming game with no actual tactical skill or strategy required.

Because of boobs? I'm ashamed to say that's probably the only reason I played till the end. My waifu kaguya had me coming back for more.

It's not a bad game per se, but hated almost everything about the Tomb Raider reboot. The characters, the story, the XP system, lack of puzzles and more.
I actually stopped playing for a while, but a buddy told me that I was close to the end, so I manned up and finished it.

Also, this. The bow and arrow headshots and general shooting was good, but everything else was just a really predictable boring experience.

Alice, Madness Returns. It's a very pretty game, but by god it gets boring and repetitive. I remember enjoying it a lot at the start, then gradually getting bored doing the same thing over and over again, then getting frustrated by the unfair difficulty spikes, then wondering how much longer it was going to go on, then just wanting it to end, then starting to actively hate it. It's the only game I've ever completed out of spite.
That's too bad that it felt like a waste of time to you. One of my favourite audiovisual games, love the last chapter especially and one of the best stories I've experienced in a game but I can see if you got tired of the combat encounters or platforming (triple jumps tho) as it's very drawn out. I like to crank it up to Nightmare because I love the combat and have played it twice, though.

milena87

Dude, if that's the worst game you've played... You've played some all-time historically great games.

Uhm, I don't know. I mean, I've played and enjoyed games that are commonly thought as bad, so, even if technically Gears of War is considered good or even great by most, it really didn't click with me.

Mostly because I strongly dislike the cover mechanic and I much prefer action games like Max Payne 1&2. But also because I didn't care for the story and the characters at all and the visuals of the game didn't "wow" me at all.

Jito

Banned
And here come the baffling posts such as Bioshock and Gears of War as the worst game you've completed. I guess you guys don't complete or play many games then.

My most recent would be Aliens: CM just for the lols on co-op, it was totally worth it.

Radec

Crysis 2.

My god. That game is so forgettable that the only thing i remember is how awful that game is.

Bought it new thats why i managed to fight thru the awfulness.

Thank god I sold it for almost bnew price.

skeebs

100% not a flame post. I love the multi-player

I despised pretty well every second of every Halo single player campaign I ever played. I figured everyone loved it so much that there had to be more to it.

Linkark07

Banned
Star Ocean 4 on PS3. Why? I spent $70 on that game (couldn't import games back then) and my PS3 library was quite scarce.

Fasty

Probably Binary Domain. Just because I heard that there was an awesome story twist at the end. Can't even remember what it was so it can't have been that awesome.

Donos

Probably Binary Domain. Just because I heard that there was an awesome story twist at the end. Can't even remember what it was so it can't have been that awesome.

Worst game ever played? How much games have you played? Was really suprised that i had more fun with Binary Domain as expected. Good gunplay. Story... well. Would say a solid 8.

Fasty

Worst game ever played? How much games have you played? Was really suprised that i had more fun with Binary Domain as expected. Good gunplay. Story... well. Would say a solid 8.

Not worst game I've ever played, worst game I've *fnished*. I'd probably give it a 6.5 or a 7. I don't generally finish truly terrible games!

Eternal Sonata I played the majority of it while high that got me through that part. Then I started playing it sober and was like, "main this is pretty easy". I kept waiting for the "action-packed battle system that continually keeps you on your toes" (Kevin Van Ord, Gamespot) and "the pseudo-real-time system has a surprising amount of depth" (Erik Brudvig, IGN) to kick in. It never did.

The game is a joke. It's ridiculously easy. I don't know if my favorite characters from the story ended up being the ones that completely break the gameplay, but the combat is crazy easy. The most difficult thing is moving your character to the enemy but the controls are fine and the enemies are stationary so it's not like this is a deep task. Hell, one character has a bow and you don't even have to move. You don't even have to aim it despite being given the option to (when I was high I was trying to aim and that challenge made it seem a lot harder than it was).

Every evolution of the combat system, which IGN described as "just when you think you've got it all down, the combat system evolves and new options emerge as it becomes faster and more intense," actually just makes the game even easier. You can only land one major super attack, then it evolves to easily let you land two back-to-back. It got to a point where I had to setup a person thing that if I couldn't beat all enemies in one turn, I'd consider that as a failure and try to start over.

There is a light and dark mechanic where certain attacks only work in one or the other, enemies transform in one or the other, or enemies become stronger in one or the other. None of it matters. I had a healer for a while and her first heal spell could only be cast in the light. I thought maybe that would be challenging because I'd have to maneuver her around to not be in shadows and any night battle would be rally tough. A few level ups later she gets a night time heal so it doesn't matter. Everything is like that. You get ass kicking attacks in light and shadow. Enemies are easy hell so it really doesn't matter if they transform or get stronger. You can blow through them with button mashing in a single turn anyways.

As for why I kept playing it, I did like some of the characters (although my favorite disappears from the story for like half the game), I played much of it while intoxicated and didn't know any better, and I did kinda want to see how many powers I could get.

I did beat it though. Terrible final boss. I didn't even know he was the final boss until the credits started rolling. Having said all of that, I've heard that the PS3 version is way harder and makes the light/dark thing actually a serious factor. If it gets down to like $10 on PS3 I'd probably buy it and play it again. I did like the cute little moe girls who would wisecrack and the elf chick with the bow.

ohlawd

Uncharted 2 or Final Fantasy X

I can't say worst is the best word to use as I legtimately can't remember a really bad game I've finished. But I do hate these games greatly so I'll leave them to the forefront.

I finished them thinking they'd get better but didn't.

Crysis 2. I kept hearing about how awesome it was hoping that it would get better. I was wrong.

More recently, Lightning Returns. I don't think I've cussed out a game so much in the last decade. Of course, since I spent time reading up on the story from XIII and XIII-2 (and a twist ending), I wanted to force my way through all the mindless fetch quests and shoddy graphics. It wasn't worth it.

SentryDown

I finished many bad games because of my job but the worst one was Adams Venture Chronicles. If you don't know it yet, it's a kind of mix between christianism, Uncharted and a boring point & click, without any violence/shooting, simply with badly designed puzzles.

And they told me I was lucky to play video games all day

joecanada

Easily dragon age 2. I went back to it a year later and finished it... Fortunately it is very short, a great feature in a terrible game

Majukun

final fantasy 13

because people keep telling me that it gets better later in the game
kept playing it looking for that moment,but it never came.
also because i had to give it to gamestop to get bayonetta,so i wanted to finish it just to not have regrets later

RPG

Either Knights Contract or Quantum Theory.

Knights Contract I played because I enjoyed Game Republic's output and wanted to see what their final game was like. Quantum Theory I have no idea about, I guess I wanted to punish myself and play a really, really poor Gears of War clone...

SoldnerKei

Resident Evil 6

because I left Leon Campaing for the end.. I wish the whole game would have been like that and erase Chris campaing from the game completly, I was playing that shit in autopilot, at least with Sherry I had an ass to look at

impact

Banned
Puppeteer

I stuck with it because platformers usually get better later on and GAF is nuts about it. It never got better, it only got slightly less square mash happy. That game is abysmal.

I'm not sure if I have ever actually finished a game that I've thought is legitimately bad.

Final Fantasy 7 is probably the closest one. Played it last January. It's not a bad game really, but I don't think it's a good one either, and I quite disliked the game personally. But still I wanted to finish it as it is sort of a classic and as it's quite highly regarded I wanted to see if my opinion would change. But nope, it pretty much got just worse towards the end. Felt so incredibly bloated even for a JRPG.

Edit:
Starcraft 2's (Wings of Liberty) single player campaign is one legitimately bad part of a game (the multiplayer's good obviously). I was always a huge fan of Blizzard games, and the narrative of the original Starcraft and its expansion Brood War was awesome, but I don't know how they managed to mess it up so bad for SC2. Such a bad, generic story full of stupid cliches. I still finished it as I hoped it'd get better towards the end. Not buying the other 2 parts of SC2 now.

massoluk

Banned
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

Was waiting for the fun, then it's over and the fun never come.
Level Scaling was BS, and I dreaded entering those boring repetitive gates.

DryvBy

Postal 2 - Because I like immature games sometimes. The game is a polished turd. It's still a turd, but one that doesn't make me sick.

Ocaso

Alice, Madness Returns. It's a very pretty game, but by god it gets boring and repetitive. I remember enjoying it a lot at the start, then gradually getting bored doing the same thing over and over again, then getting frustrated by the unfair difficulty spikes, then wondering how much longer it was going to go on, then just wanting it to end, then starting to actively hate it. It's the only game I've ever completed out of spite.

Great description that largely mimics my experience as well. It's a game I desperately wanted to like more than I did because it's brimming with beauty and imagination, but it's also the poster child for overstaying your welcome. They could have trimmed hours of content from the game and it would arguably have been much better.

That said, the worst game I ever finished was almost certainly Sphinx on the Xbox. Someone somewhere described it as a great game in the Zelda vein, and while the Zelda influence is clear, it is most certainly not a great game.

In a few weeks it'll probably be Starlight Inception. Just an unfortunate game from top to bottom--it's as though the devs didn't know about a decade's worth of game mechanics and development practices, and set out to recreate them from scratch. First-person mouselook doesn't work the way it's worked in every other game for the past two decades. If you hit the keyboard or mouse while playing the game with a controller, the game switches to M/KB input and doesn't let you use the controller again until you escape back to the settings menu and reset the input device manually. And so on and so forth. The storyline is also pretty amateur, with plenty of jargon-y modern military phrases thrown in just because. I feel bad because the people behind Starlight Inception seem like very nice people (I backed their Kickstarter), and it doesn't seem like it'll be that long so I'll try to finish it. But yeah, an abysmal first, second and third impression.

Before that, I probably would've given the award to Homefront or Hydrophobia, but both those games were at least somewhat competent when it came to core mechanics.

Top Bottom