• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the worst game you've played to completion and why did you stick with it?

Gonna say either Nier or Deadly Premonition. I love both games dearly, two of my top games of last gen, but I'm under no delusions that either game is "good" by traditional standards. Sticking with them til the end wasn't challenging - they were both fun, had excellent stories, and exuded quirky charm. To be fair Nier's gameplay was simply mediocre, while Deadly Premonition was almost comically bad. Don't regret beating them. Will gladly beat them again someday.

MattyG

Banned
Medal of Honor 2010 (I like the game, but I remember it being generally regarded as a bad game).

I guess I stuck with it because I liked the campaign, no matter how ugly and generic it was, and the shooting mechanics were solid in both modes (mp was better though). Probably 40 hours later, I 1000/1000ed it.

Barakov

Milon's Secret Castle. The reason I solved that game was that I had the flu and was quite delirious. That's the only reason I can think of that would suffer through that awful game.

All my "worst" games are based on story, not game breaking bugs or anything like that.

FF13: Had to see if it got better with my own eyes.

Dragon Age 2: Got hyped with Dragon Age:Origins and wanted to see all the different outcomes. Foolish mistake.

MGS2: Love the MGS series but I hate Raiden. Needed to complete 2 because I wanted to do a complete run of the franchise, from the first canon game to the last.

DukeBobby

Most recently, it has to be Killzone: Shadow Fall.

It was my first PS4 game and I paid £48 for it, so I felt the need to see it through to the end. I hated almost every minute of it. Mind-numbingly boring game.

Easy. Wraith of the black manna(sp*) on Nes. Between the clunky controls and the anti drugs message it was god awful . I had no other choice though because we were poor and my house had burnt down and Red Cross gave it to me. I still don't wish the game on anyone.

Resident Evil 6

I had nothing else to play at that time. Borrowed it from my brother and I wanted to give it back to him soon so I sticked to it. The gameplay was horrible and I don't even want to talk about QTEs. The story was mostly dumb but since I liked the previews RE games it was sometimes interesting. Still a pretty shitty game.

Danchi

Deadly Premonition. An unusual and interesting game, but broken in many ways.

In what ways was it broken? I remember the map system being kinda useless, but I can't think of anything else (off the top of my head anyway) that didn't work.

Dragon Age 2: Got hyped with Dragon Age:Origins and wanted to see all the different outcomes. Foolish mistake.

Disregard my previous posts, this is my one true answer.

Like Nier and Deadly Premonition there's something redeeming to be had in DAII, but unlike those games there aren't enough redeeming qualities to make me remember it fondly. I liked a couple of the characters. That's it.

MizzouRah

Gone Home.

My girlfriend and I played through it, expecting a nice twist or an interesting development to happen. Instead it was a dull romp through disproportionately sized props from the mid-90's.

How many times can a family buy the same dresser/ hall table?

MaDKaT

Dantes Inferno

The game started off so well but just devolved to complete and utter crap when you got to the final circles. It was like they couldn't figure out what to do or just stopped caring and just made them a bunch of arena style challenges. Completely ruined the game for me. I still completed it but it left such a sour taste in my mouth.

ChuyMasta

TMNT for the NES
I had nothing else to play back then. And damn it I finished it! I encountered the game ending glitch a couple of times(Where the technodrome doesn't show up), but that didn't stop me! Later I noticed another glitch where enemies disappear the screen if you scroll it correctly and I abused it. That plus the Donatello awesomeness made this nightmare of a game possible to finish.

Now, back then with no internet, I actually had to pay attention to the game and notice details. I even got to the water level and calculated the height gain per insta button press.

Nerd to the max

Pro

Skyward Sword. I have never before found a Zelda title too frustrating to control, too boring, too repetitive, too empty, too many tutorials, etc. The weird thing is that this is still a great game compared to almost any other game, its just unfortunate that it happens to have Zelda in the name. I stuck with it because I am a 'finisher' for better or worse, especially with the franchises that I hold dear. The next 3D Zelda will redeem the series, I'm sure.

I can definitely agree with this.

Facism

Final Fantasy 13. Even though i was at the threshold of giving up gaming entirely because of this shitfest, i felt i spunked away too many hours not to finish the last 3rd.

Fucking horrible, horrible game.

jelly

Breakdowncover.jpg

I liked the story and the driving was quite fun. It also got to the point, I can beat you!

Camwi

Bullet Witch. Why? Because I guess I was anticipating the game to be better than it was, so even though it sucked ass right out of the gate, I felt determined to beat it out of spite, I guess. Doesn't make much sense.

Kingdom Hearts, I know many people like these games but I strongly disliked the first one. I stuck with it purely for the Disney characters; it made it worth the slog through repetitive combat and awkward animations to simply see what new world or new Disney characters I would meet (I don't really care about Final Fantasy characters, and I reeeeally don't care for Sora, his waifu, Rikku/Ansem, and anything else KH specific). Eventually the Disney ran out and I was left with really weird, large, boring levels and like 13 iterations of a final boss, and then I found out Kingdom Hearts is light! Yaaaay I beat it? Good. Never again, shit was garbage. I only don't regret it because of all the trolling fodder it gave me for my friends who love those games.

Dead Rising 2.

It not only had the same problems as the original (oh, those freaking game saves... that time based mission structure that doesn't let me explore the world to my liking.. among others), but introduced a few ones as well, most notably that I had only a few places where I can combine items, and the items needed were only on specific locations... and to get them, I'd traverse the mall, while losing precious time... see the problem here?

Also, some bosses were stupid, cheap, and the control was awful, bad reaction times. It was frustrating at times.

I finished it, because I was already halfway past it when I started to become really frustrated, so I have to finish a game I get that far, it's like a self challenge. (I did leave it for 6 months or more though)
I only got the "bad" ending, I wouldn't endure doing the necessary stuff for the real one (and that'd mean playing the game more... which I really didn't want)

Soma

Star Ocean 4 (360)

I was just really itching for a new JPRG at the time.

Yeah the battle system was good; enough for me to keep going until the end but not good enough to ever recommend this terrible game to anyone.

z1ggy

Final Fantasy XIII. Last FF i played was IX, so this was beyond terrible. It looks pretty and sometimes has nice music, but that´s it. The whole cast of characters is awfull, their design as well, the world doesnt make sense, Lighting is a dull doll, etc. Only reason i finished it it's because i wanted to see if the ending would pay off. But it didn´t.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Peter Jackson's King Kong. I'm not gonna lie. I played it in it's entirety just for the 1000 gamerscore.

It was pretty good as far as movie licensed games go.

Anyway, as for myself, I got 100% synchronization on Assassin's Creed III. I think I was avoiding doing a lot of other things at the time and ACIII was easy.

FloatOn

Assassins Creed. The first one. Otherwise known as tedium the video game.

I heard there was some batshit insane ending and I talked myself into believing that making it to the end would be worth it.

The game was so bad I never want to play another in the franchise.

Muffdraul

dinocrisis3_ps2box_fake_org_01boxart_160w.jpg

The heinously broken camera meant that you were victimized by cheap shot attacks coming from off screen, you had to be some kind of jedi ninja to avoid getting killed often. With limited continues, the game was basically unfinishable. But I tried switching to easy mode, and it seemed like the only difference was that it gave you unlimited continues. Therefore you could virtually ignore the combat, just fumble your way through it... and concentrate on exploring the huge space ship and solving its awesome transformation puzzles. That aspect of the game was really cool, so I played it the whole way through.

mcflyOS

Banned
I played the entirety of Altered Beast with a total stranger in coop over PSN. We died every 5 secs, and I laughed my ass off the entire time at how absurd the game was and how determined we both were to beat it.

Melchiah

Definitely Blood Omen 2. It was a pain the ass, but I wanted to see it through just for the series' lore. Unfortunately, the game also had a mediocre story.

I finished the single player campaigns of both Battlefield 3 and Halo 4 for the trophies/achievements despite both being horrible experiences. Just boring, predictable, repetetive and awful on both accounts, with Battlefield 3 being the worst of the 2 due to bugs. In the ps3 version, I ran into a bug where if you shoot enemies in the wrong order, the game crashes. Redic.

modeyv2

Banned
Sonic 06 on PS3, because the Co-op was funny as hell.

Although recently it's hard to play bad games, as I get great games from PS Plus and I tend to only buy good games.

NaviLink

Not the worst game but I remember very vividly how I had to force myself to finish Far Cry 2. The last part was dull and boring, I can't even remember how it ends.

Top Bottom