• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the worst game you've played to completion and why did you stick with it?

Duxxy3

God of war ascension. Huge fan of the series and I just wanted to get it done because it had god of war in the title.

Gears of War 2, by the middle of it my buddy and I could not stand it, but neither of us wanted to be the one to turn it off. We got kinda masochistic at the end and enjoyed how miserable each other were.

JoelsGuitar

Neo Member
Duke Nukem Forever.

I'm not jumping on the hate train. It's not a TERRIBLE game but it's not good, either. I remember kinda mindlessly moving and shooting with the only goal of getting to the end. I didn't care about anything but just finishing it and uninstalling it immediately after.

Resistance 2

Not only did i play it to the end... i even started a secon run of it (but didn't complete it).

I really dislike the game, so why did i do that?
Up to that point i was very consistant in buying games that i really like, i pretty much never failed and felt always well informed before the game was released by reading about it in different mags and on the inet.
And so i developed a habit of playing a game to the end and starting a second run a few months later to experience it again.

You could say that Resistance 2 killed that habit, i also never sold a game ever before! I was in disbelieve, how could my judgement fail me?

After that i sadly had to experience that a couple of times more (realising i've bought the wrong game for my tastes)

koopas

Alice, Madness Returns. It's a very pretty game, but by god it gets boring and repetitive. I remember enjoying it a lot at the start, then gradually getting bored doing the same thing over and over again, then getting frustrated by the unfair difficulty spikes, then wondering how much longer it was going to go on, then just wanting it to end, then starting to actively hate it. It's the only game I've ever completed out of spite.
Too be fair, this is a LONG game. But I guess you get your money's worth ...

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Dragon Age 2
I thought that the story is going to get better(at every point) throughout the whole game, boring muck to finish. But it was a disappointment overall, could have been a very good game.

Yasawas

Tony Hawk's Underground 2. I wish he was. Only kept going because the series had been my favourite until they shat the bed with the first THUG and I couldn't believe I'd wasted £35 again so stuck with it. I have more money and less free time now so hopefully I won't have to endure this kind of thing in the name of entertainment again.

Resident Evil 6. I only finished it so I could say I had completed everyone of the mainline series. Will be there for Resident Evil 7 no doubt about it

Could also say BF4, although I have no idea why I bothered playing that until the end of the campaign it just kind of happened one afternoon

Shane

Plenty of guff on the C64, Master System and Amiga. I'm sure some names will come back to me eventually...

Nowadays I just stop playing if it's plop. Time is more important to me. Last Tomb Raider being case in point.

LiamR

Sonic 2006. I view it as a rite of passage, everyone should be forced to go through it at least once. Only then will you understand what a 'bad' game actually is.

First post nails it. I played it for similar reasons. I just had to understand how bad it was. It more than lived up to its name.

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes on PS3. I damn well payed for it and I wanted that platinum for my effort. I lost 3 hours of my life because it crashed and I'd forgotten to manually save in a while. Also the controls were shit.

Vitor711

Resistance 2

Not only did i play it to the end... i even started a secon run of it (but didn't complete it).

I really dislike the game, so why did i do that?
Up to that point i was very consistant in buying games that i really like, i pretty much never failed and felt always well informed before the game was released by reading about it in different mags and on the inet.
And so i developed a habit of playing a game to the end and starting a second run a few months later to experience it again.

You could say that Resistance 2 killed that habit, i also never sold a game ever before! I was in disbelieve, how could my judgement fail me?

After that i sadly had to experience that a couple of times more (realising i've bought the wrong game for my tastes)

Eh, don't beat yourself up. Resistance 2 has a ridiculous average score on metacritic and yet is hot garbage. Seriously one of the worst games I've ever played. I hated it.

And this is coming from a big Insomniac fan. What a disappointment. I at least enjoyed the first one despite its issues but the second, ugh. It was ugly (worst case of bullshots I've ever seen in marketing), played poorly and the bosses were atrocious.

Still beat it. Lord knows why. Guess I was hoping it would get better and justify those insanely inflated scores.

Never tried the MP, which I hear is where the real game was, but can't say I feel like I missed out.

Tomb Raider: The angel of darkness. Kept on playing in hope I would see glimpses of what made the previous games good... It was sooooo bad :(

Time and Eternity.

I watched as our own RyougaSaotome played through the game for a review.
I, perhaps foolishly, took pity on him and made a promise to play through it when it was released in the US as well.
I even live streamed the whole thing.
The one plus was that interacting with viewers while playing that awful game was a trip.

ANIME TEA PARTY HYPE TRAIN AIN'T GOT NO BRAKES

Ploid 3.0

Resident Evil Code Veronica.

I dragged myself through it because at the time my friends considered me to be the best at games, and asked me to beat the game. I think it was the longest most boring game I've played. I'd think it was almost over then a new character to control and it seem like there's no end in sight. For all I know the game was shorter than it seemed, but like watching paint dry or a clock, time moves slow when you're not having fun.

mocoworm

Friend fo mine just got 1000g on the new Spiderman game on XONE. He said it was the worst £49.99 he has ever spent.

CassSept

Battlefield 3 SP. I had a new PC and wanted to see some eyecandy.

The game was impressive and pretty but it's possibly the most vapid, bland and uninteresting game I ever played.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Kill.switch_Coverart.jpg

A game who's sole selling point is it's cover and fire mechanic...

Kept thinking the story would get better and the levels would be less repetitive... Never did...

Ending was short and sweet though...

Final Fantasy XIII

I wish I could give you a good answer why I finished it, but I can't. I have no idea why I did it, because I hated the game. Maybe I just closed my eyes, mashed X a lot, and just listened to the music.

Assassins Creed IV

Seemed great at first. Then I just wanted it to end. Also it PS4 launch drought made me play it.

Edit: Also Oblivion.

XMen on NES.

I spent my birthday money on it and I was determined to beat it despite how horrid it was. As a young kid I didn't get games often so I played what I had or rented once a month at blockbuster.

I actually beat the game.

Abysmal game

Eirulan

SWTOR.
Played 2 classes to max-level and finished their class stories.
Maaaaan this game was such a chore and a mess!

En-ou

depends on your definition of bad games. a bad game to me is one that is no fun at all within the realm of its genre. i dont play bad games. why would i when i can have fun.

Coxy

Time and Eternity because I like the whole mixing of 2d and 3d and wanted to learn a bit about it in case I ever want to use it in a game I'm making.

my main takeaway was dont reuse stock animations too much and you need a hell of a lot more frames of animation than it has to pull it off convincingly

As of recently, God of War Ascension. I could not get into it and I loved the previous titles. I finished the game because of trophies.

mclem

I've posted this before, I'll post it again:

hlBtxxx.jpg

I stuck with it to the end because it's about an hour long.

Vazduh

Probably The Fifth Element.

Such an ugly, horribly designed game. I honestly don't know how I managed to finish that one, probably because I was obsessed with the movie when it came out.

Heavenly Sword.

I found the pretty much all of the fighting tiresome and frustrating, but I was enjoying the cutscenes and liked the main characters. I didn't have a lot else to play on the PS3 at the time, otherwise I think I would have given up.

Altered-Beast-copertina-Mega-Drive1.jpg

This game came free with my newly purchased Sega Mega Drive (and Sonic the Hedgehog if I remember correctly). Since I only owned this game and Sonic for a while I played it quite a bit, including finishing it. A couple of years ago I bought some Sega collection on Xbox 360, so I gave this game another go for old time sake. Wow is this game bad. Seriously just horrible. I have literally no idea how I would have played it all the way through.

FUSE

The only reason I played through it was because I dropped $60 on it and could play with a few buddies. What a steaming pile.

Assassin's Creed III because at some point I started collection EVERYTHING on the maps. After a certain point, sunk cost fallacy began to sink in. I grit my teeth and finished it, tried to start the GW campaign, but was out of fucks to give about the game and its characters.

The most recent would be Far Cry (PC), not quite the classic I remembered back in 2004 - it's tedious and far more linear than people's nostalgic memories wish to admit.

Also, Borderlands. The first one is insanely boring, incredibly repetitive and tops off with extremely lackluster DLC. The only one I might have vaguely enjoyed was The Secret Armory of General Knoxx.

I really had to fight my way through to finish it and due to my compulsiveness at the time, acquire all the achievements the game had (especially that incredibly annoying collection based one in Claptrap's New Robot Revolution... ugh.)

Recent: Uncharted 3.

I stuck with it because I loved UC2 and I thought, "this is going to get better, this is going to bet better..." I thought that for like 10 hours. Then I thought "well... I'm already almost done I may as well finish it." I think I had my epiphany that this is my least favorite game that I've played around the water level. Usually I give up much quicker than that.

I hate it more than games that are worse because I wasted time playing it. Usually, if I playa game and it's worse, I just stop playing it... but I kept thinking this would get better. It didn't.

(also, talking about modern games. As a kid, I beat every game I played, even terrible ones... I just can't remember them all... I'm sure there's some horrible game from ages ago)

All time: Hmm.. Maybe Nightmare Creatures. A game that had a GREAT demo, one of the best demos, and so when I got it for PSX I thought.. this game is going to be awesome. And then I played it through and it was very boring, bad level design, repetative characters, predictable boring gameplay. But, I beat it because the demo was good.

Surprisingly, when I was a kid, I would stop playing the game.

Now I feel like an obligation to finish a bad/highly disappointing game if I'm going to hate it on the Internet and to follow the story to the end to see if it magically improves e.g. Ass Creed 1, any recent Rockstar game. Of course these aren't the typical games to call bad but then why would I play a buggy objectively trash game with the reviews we now have compared to bad games back then that I would just give up on.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm having a hard time remembering, so the only one I can come up with is FFXIII. Not only did I finish it, but I was at like 85 hours or so. By the time I beat it, I couldn't believe how much I hated it.

I don't remember ever finishing a game I didn't enjoy or didn't find some redeeming quality that was enough to drive me through it. I dropped Final Fantasy XIII after I got to the "oh let me just cast death on your team leader and gameover you" enemies, but before that point I was already struggling to justify returning to it.

Fjordson

I really never stick with a game if I get bored or start to dislike it. That being said, for reasons that I no longer remember I rented Dante's Inferno when it came out and played it to completion.

Combat was a dull echo of God of War, I don't remember a single thing about the story or the characters (I think it was just the Divine Comedy in video game form?) and it was all sort of stupid. But I was admittedly somewhat interested in seeing all of the weird ass enemies and the different circles of hell in the game. Like I remember fighting these creepy babies with scythes for hands.

somehow the most memorable thing from the game is the final boss fight showing off Lucifer's gigantic penis

mclem

Also, Borderlands. The first one is insanely boring, incredibly repetitive and tops off with extremely lackluster DLC. The only one I might have vaguely enjoyed was The Secret Armory of General Knoxx.

I really had to fight my way through to finish it and due to my compulsiveness at the time, acquire all the achievements the game had (especially that incredibly annoying collection based one in Claptrap's New Robot Revolution... ugh.)

...why did you even buy the DLC?

Terminator Salvation

Very easy 1000GS. That's why :p

I will finish it again, probably, on PS3, just to get another platinum trophy....

GeometryHead

Neo Member
Lego Lord Of The Rings for the Vita. I could not see why people were praising these games all the time, because this was complete shit. I didn't realize that it was a port from the 3DS-version of the game, and not the real console version. Horrible game. I have no idea what made me keep playing.

But, since I had already endured the shitty campaign (I mean, it's so incredibly boring), I went ahead and got the platinum.

Bullet Witch.

The comedic value (Humor? No! Just laughs at the expense of how broken the game was.) that stems from this piece of garbage not only convinced me to complete the campaign (three times), but also convinced me that it was worth every dollar and then some.

For me it's Bioshock.

256px-BioShock_cover.jpg

I played it to understand what all the hype was about and by the end, I still didn't understand what all the hype was about.

Top Bottom