• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where is the Great, All Encompassing, Harry Potter Game?

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
Finding myself entrenched in a Harry Potter weekend on ABC Family last weekend, I couldn't help but wonder why someone has yet to create a be-all, end-all, Harry Potter experience.

Personally, I would love to see it as a JRPG - leveling up skills and magic, etc. The world is so rich with possibilities. I know a JRPG is a tough sell to the mass American market, but I would love anything that's done well.

How would you guys imagine a great Harry Potter gaming experience? MMO? Third person action adventure? Arkham City style?

Others will have to answer this for me, but I believe the GBC and GBA games of the first couple movies were done in the style of a JRPG, am I right Gaf?

sn00zer

I think Mass Effect style gameplay would work better...having a "squad" of classmates, extensive dialogue trees.....

kazebyaka

Banned
Recipe for the best HP game ever:

Take Persona 4, make it about Hogwarts. Done, simple solution, best game ever guaranteed.

TehOh

The GBC Chamber of Secrets game was a JRPG, and is pretty fun.

A Persona style game set in the Harry Potter universe would be amazing. Give it a new story, and let the player create their own Hogwarts student, then go to classes, forge social links, and explore dungeons. I'd play the hell out of that.

Kind of sad isn't it? I feel like there's a lot of material and potential to make an awesome game based in the universe if not the actual books/movies.

.la1n

With the movies wrapped up I doubt we will see any more licensed products but you never know. I do realize there have been more games released within the LotR universe but there is also still movies released in that universe (The Hobbit trilogy.)

Vashetti

Banned
The Gamecube/PS2/Xbox version of Philosopher's Stone and the PC versions of Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban are genuinely great games.

Packed full of content and rewards for exploration.

Lumyst

Ah, I'd imagine it as a fixed-camera, cell-shaded game like Tales of Vesperia. You'd be darting around corridors and rooms in Hogwarts and through forests, using class time to learn how to upgrade weapons and make potions, spending time talking to people and building relationships...so basically a JRPG. I haven't played any of the HP games though, so it's all just my imagination. If they hadn't already made all those games already, I'd want it to be like a JRPG.

harry_potter_and_the_sorcerers_stone_profilelarge.jpg

I've always envisioned a Bethesda-esque RPG set during the first rise of Voldemort where you went through every year of Hogwarts, deciding what your speciality was going to be (Potions, DaDa, Broom flying, Transfiguration), and at some point you could choose which side to take in the growing war, which would escalate throughout your time at Hogwarts. You could either quit school and join the Order of the Phoenix, or defect to the Death Eaters. Alternate endings in which you kill Voldemort, etc.

Will never happen. My dream game though probably, next to Intelligent System's Game of Thrones.

Fantastic, can't wait to see how they turn a bestiary book into a Gears of War ripoff. Seriously, that was fucking atrocious. I'll buy the LEGO version two years down the line thanks.

SmithnCo

I just want to roam the school and take classes without being HP and doing the story junk from the books.

Basically Bully: Wizard edition.

I too love the idea of harry potter meets bully and have more interest in it than an all-in-one story adaptation of harry's life.

Considering the number of star wars games we've seen over the decades, I'm sure it'll happen someday if the entertainment world continues using the IP.

I remember playing the gbc and even the GameCube games and thinking how amazing of a game they'd make on the new consoles (360/PS3). I heard one or two were servicable but they really blew the chance to make something great.

Hopefully with this new movie stuff there will be excitement over the series and make either a Bully or Persona style game.

I'd take something on the level of Pokemon battling on the 3DS/Vita too.

Ath

I loved the GBC Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets games and the GBA Prisoner of Azkaban game. Great RPGs that really got the feel of Hogwarts right.

I'd love a game just about Hogwarts in the Bully mold with the whole castle and grounds to explore. You create a student, get sorted, and go through a single year with an original story. What a waste giving the license to EA.

Genius ideas;

- Making Goblet of Fire a co-op hack and slash with light puzzle elements, and no hacking or slashing.
- Making the final two games Gears of War ripoffs where you could casually use the Crucio curse because that's something Harry would totally do.

tumblr_lrhwtwbr611r0ojhto1_250.gif

Very telling that these were better than anything EA put out:

Or anything better Lucasarts or EA again (LotR) put out. In fact, Lego LotR is the only time we've got an open-world Middle Earth. Ponder that, and cry.

Keyouta

Yep, I've always wanted an all encompassing game, and the Persona 4 suggestions in this thread I think are bang on.

daydream

Banned
Others will have to answer this for me, but I believe the GBC and GBA games of the first couple movies were done in the style of a JRPG, am I right Gaf?

Yes, and pretty serviceable ones, I thought, and I'm not even a HP fan. The Quidditch game on GBA was pretty much broken and way too easy, though, iirc.

I'd actually love a realistic Harry Potter RPG. Not all happy fairies and Goblins though for kids. I'd love an entire game set in the mood and tone of the last few books/movies. Wehre people die and there are consequences.

But it won't happen that way cos money and audiences

BD1

Banned
I thought for sure we'd get it on the Wii, and the. I was positive we'd get it on PS3 with the move. Oh well, I put it up there with the missing Lightsaber game...

The GBC Chamber of Secrets game was a JRPG, and is pretty fun.

A Persona style game set in the Harry Potter universe would be amazing. Give it a new story, and let the player create their own Hogwarts student, then go to classes, forge social links, and explore dungeons. I'd play the hell out of that.

It'd be great if it were occuring during the years that Harry and Co were there, so you can see the events unfold but you're separate enough to have your own story crafted.

I've been wanting a FF-styled Harry Potter game for years. Do one per year or cover the entire storyline in one mega, epic game. Either way!

SpartanN92

Banned
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban for GameCube is genuinely one of my favorite games of all time. It was amazing!!!

Assuming it's based on the films the Emma Watson social link alone would guarantee huge sales.

Don't base it on the movies, the books are so much better. It's no coincidence that the first HP games were by far the best, when they followed the books and created their own style, instead of trying to recreate the movies.

Grief.exe

Persona 4 and Bully for the school experience.

Unreal Championship for the combat. Roll dodgeing, leading spells, Blocking spells in real time, 3rd person combat.

Would be epic.

Top Bottom