• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where to shop for dress shirts - business casual look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've purchased so many dress shirts from H&M over the years and I never learn my lesson. I wear a size medium for nearly all of my shirts with the exception of a few small shirts from Banana Republic due to the way they run, but god damn it, H&M, why must my chest nearly explode out of your shirts? I can't go to a large because that'd be too big and a medium the shirt is already a little baggy in the back. Perhaps I'm too wide-chested/shouldered?

That is a problem with all stores, you would have to tailor the large shirt if you want a correct fit. The only one that comes close to fitting properly out of the rack is Express, because their extra slim fit shirts are not as constrained in the chest. But they are still not perfect.

H&M has some pretty quality stuff that's really inexpensive. It's where I buy all of my work / business casual shirts.

This, some (not all) H&M have a more quality department with pricey yet quality clothing. I haven't bought any but having tried some on I want to buy some gear.

SeanR1221

Bonobos.com if you can afford it.

I second bonobos.

They have the best fitting pants. They even make an athletic fit (which is bigger in the seat and thighs). Their shirts are awesome and come in 3 fits. Regular, slim and tailored (basically super slim). I swear a slim and it's very flattering.

Since thanksgiving I've switched my entire wardrobe to bonobos. I used to do all uniqlo but the fit is waaaay better at bonobos

Yeah it's way more expensive but you can get some good deals with discount codes on the sale items.

Oxn

It still boggles my mind when people recommend express.

They are the botton of the barrel in terms of quality.

Get banana republic or gap for business casual.

Charles tywitt for business.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Do you guys typically like the fit off the rack? Feels like off the rack shirts never fit just how I like it, they need to be tailored in some way. Especially in the mid section, I cannot stand the bunching of material that happens at the waist.

Clipse

+1 for Banana Republic. Good quality clothing and they have store-wide sales like every other week, so never pay full price.

*Current promo is 40% off your entire order online or in-store. Ends tonight.*

Do you guys typically like the fit off the rack? Feels like off the rack shirts never fit just how I like it, they need to be tailored in some way. Especially in the mid section, I cannot stand the bunching of material that happens at the waist.

I get most of my off-rack clothes tailored. My tailor does $5 for pants and $5 for shirts, and so if I'm buying off the rack I think that's pretty fair, given that I'm saving probably $50-$100 on the shirt itself, so I'll eat the $5 for tailoring.

Has anyone tried The Tie Bar's shirts? I'm waiting for them to restock.

They're on par with JackThreads and most of the recent modern look, low quality but affordable online clothes sites.
I bought 4 shirts on JAckThreads last year and all of them either fell apart of became unwearable after 6 months.

$70 for a polo??!?!?! That's insane.

Pro-tip: Buy several polos from a site like Bonobos or store like Nordstrom. Pay like $70-$120/ea. Try them on and see how they fit, then return them. Then, go on Ebay, Amazon, or some of the other secondary markets for clothes and buy the same brand, color, and size for $30 or $40. I do that for polos and casual button shirts. I have trouble finding polos that fit well and look good on me. I should probably just lose 20lbs. .

It still boggles my mind when people recommend express.

They are the botton of the barrel in terms of quality.

Get banana republic or gap for business casual.

Charles tywitt for business.

dude people here are recommending Kohl's and H&M.

Yep. CT are excellent. I get all my work shirts there now and have like twenty at the moment.

I would still advise going to a few stores and seeing which brands and ranges are a good fit, though. Nothing worse than a shirt that doesn't fit.

I would buy CT if they had Tall sizes. Being 6'2, their Medium is way too short while the Large fits like a tent. There's nothing in between that.

In fact the vast majority of men clothing brands are cut this way for some reason.

So far, only Banana Republic has shirts that actually fit me: Medium Tall Slim/Grant fit.

Chuckl3s

Pro-tip: Buy several polos from a site like Bonobos or store like Nordstrom. Pay like $70-$120/ea. Try them on and see how they fit, then return them. Then, go on Ebay, Amazon, or some of the other secondary markets for clothes and buy the same brand, color, and size for $30 or $40. I do that for polos and casual button shirts. I have trouble finding polos that fit well and look good on me. I should probably just lose 20lbs. .

Thank you! I have a hard time finding clothes. Doesn't help that I'm overweight and I'm only 4'3". So my everyday office wear is Polos and nice slacks. I'll take your advice.

SpecX

Jcpenneys has a great selection at good prices. No seriously.

I was honestly shocked when I went there late last year for some new shirts. I almost always shopped Macy's, but the shirts tend to be a little too tight in the chest area for me. Pennys had a large selection with better fit shirts for my body type that also didn't look like I was swimming in them. The prices could be beat neither, so now I find myself there more than ever before.

Woffls

I would buy CT if they had Tall sizes. Being 6'2, their Medium is way too short while the Large fits like a tent. There's nothing in between that.

In fact the vast majority of men clothing brands are cut this way for some reason.

So far, only Banana Republic has shirts that actually fit me: Medium Tall Slim/Grant fit.
Might be worth trying their formal and business casual shirts. I'm also 6'2" and struggled to find shirts that were long enough, but the current CT formal fit (in the UK at least) is very long. I think it changed in the last year or two.

Hero

Please do not buy H&M shirts unless you really like throwing away money. You save a little bit of money in the short term but their clothes are garbage tier for how long they last. Would you rather spend 40 bucks on a shirt that will last you 4 years or 20 bucks on a shirt that will last you 1 year?

ch4fx_

9sxHPBx.jpg

SeanC

Banana Republic, Express, Nordstrom's own line is usually good with sales, J. Crew.

There's a lot of places. If it's just business casual you can get some nice off the rack shirts at any good mid-tier place for 40-50 bucks.

Brandson

After several years trying many different brands of dress shirts, including expensive Italian, British, and American ones, I have settled on Taylor Stitch "Hyde" shirts. They make a few different styles but I prefer their Hyde cut the best. They have a good blend of cut, materials, and craftsmanship. They're not cheap, but also not as expensive as some other brands. Hydes are made in Portugal. Some of the rest from them are made in the USA.

https://www.taylorstitch.com/

Takuan

+1 Banana Republic. Their Medium Tall Camden fit is as good as it gets for me (6'4" 205). Their non-iron selection is a godsend.

I wouldn't pay regular price, but everything seems perpetually on sale.

Oxn

dude people here are recommending Kohl's and H&M.

I dont wear the ones from kohls, but i have looked at them before, and they dont seem too bad.

I also havent seen h&m dress shirts, but if the quality is like their other clothing, then yes they also suck, but atleast you get what you pay for with h&m, express is over priced garbage.

Brooks Brothers.

There are outlets out there that offer only moderately reduced prices, but once in awhile you can get a great shirt for something like $35. I like their quality, I like their fit.

Oxn

I second bonobos.

They have the best fitting pants. They even make an athletic fit (which is bigger in the seat and thighs). Their shirts are awesome and come in 3 fits. Regular, slim and tailored (basically super slim). I swear a slim and it's very flattering.

Since thanksgiving I've switched my entire wardrobe to bonobos. I used to do all uniqlo but the fit is waaaay better at bonobos

Yeah it's way more expensive but you can get some good deals with discount codes on the sale items.

Moving up. I like it.

One day i should head to the bonobos store near my work to try their stuff on.

SeanR1221

Moving up. I like it.

One day i should head to the bonobos store near my work to try their stuff on.

Definitely. They don't have a lot of stock in store so think of it as a way to try clothes on and then they'll ship them to your house. You also get a beer while shopping (at least at mine). Shipping is fast though. I bought some polos Monday and they'll be at my house tomorrow.

Are CT shirts really that good? I'm really eyeing that $35 sale to try a shirt or two.

Also, people recommending H&M... really? That'll last like 6 months tops. Don't waste your money there, OP.

Davidion

Are CT shirts really that good? I'm really eyeing that $35 sale to try a shirt or two.

Also, people recommending H&M... really? That'll last like 6 months tops. Don't waste your money there, OP.

Their quality is very good and not what you'd expect for their often basement bargain prices.

I tend to like their cuts (and that of other British shirtmakers) over that of their American counterparts and low-cost fashion houses like Zara and H&M. The dress shirts I've gotten at Banana Republic and J Crews of the world all seem to have a tendency to run tight in the wrong places, particularly the arms and chest. Zara and H&M shirts are just...yeah. YMMV

seconded. surprisingly well made shirts and almost always some kind of promo.

Their quality is very good and not what you'd expect for their often basement bargain prices.

I tend to like their cuts (and that of other British shirtmakers) over that of their American counterparts and low-cost fashion houses like Zara and H&M. The dress shirts I've gotten at Banana Republic and J Crews of the world all seem to have a tendency to run tight in the wrong places, particularly the arms and chest. Zara and H&M shirts are just...yeah. YMMV

Well, that seals it.

The next question: monogram or not? :p

I've always wanted to get a shirt with my initials. Just looks dope.

Thomas Pink if you're willing to spend money
Banana Republic for reasonable prices for the quality

H&M is garbage like someone pointed out already, maybe for other casual stuff but definitely don't buy shirts from there

Why are people laughing @ Tom Ford? Too expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom