• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where to shop for dress shirts - business casual look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont wear the ones from kohls, but i have looked at them before, and they dont seem too bad.

I also havent seen h&m dress shirts, but if the quality is like their other clothing, then yes they also suck, but atleast you get what you pay for with h&m, express is over priced garbage.

Kohl's clothes look okay but if you try them on they all seem to have weird proportions. And yeah, H&M shirts are thin and wrinkly messes. But appropriately priced.

I have several Express polos and they all fit nicely and have held up for years.

Kill3r7

Both.

If the wash & dry is no longer doing work on the collar grime, then it's dry cleaner time.

Washing machine and dryer.

My shirts are wrinkle reistsant non iron shirts. Just remember to take out the collar tab.

This. Buy non-iron shirts and you don't have to worry about ironing them. Wash and dry per directions.

If you have expensive dress shirts then maybe consider having those dry cleaned.

Guevara

Also while on the subject, do you guys wash the dress shirts in washing machines or have them dry cleaned?

I bring my dress shirts to the dry cleaner however, they just wash them in a washing machine and then iron them for me. You probably don't need to dry clean a normal dress shirt.

Costs about $2 each and is well-worth it.

Kittygirl

Women's trick.

Go to a store, try what you want on, then buy what you want online.

Fit, wrinkleness, and colors in the store let you know what to expect. Takes maybe an hour to find what works, if you pull several styles at once.

Hero

Women's trick.

Go to a store, try what you want on, then buy what you want online.

Fit, wrinkleness, and colors in the store let you know what to expect. Takes maybe an hour to find what works, if you pull several styles at once.

Also rule of 3 when pulling items to try on in the dressing room.

Pull the size you think you are, plus one size up and another one sized down. Different labels have different fits despite identical measurements.

xJavonta

Banned
Been down the H&M road many times. They're good for undershirts and underwear. If you want something higher quality, at a slightly higher price here's what I recommend.

Uniqlo (I love their OCBDs but they tend to run a bit bigger, go try them on first)
J.Crew (My absolute favorite place to buy shirts. But they're on the pricer side ($60 a shirt)
J.Crew Factory (Second favorite place to get shirts. They're half the price of the normal store but 100% of the quality)
Banana Republic (Slightly higher price and quality than Old Navy)

If you're looking for cheap, I'd recommend Old Navy. Their OCBDs are the perfect fit for my body type, and feel nice.

Don't get Kohl's clothes. Shit fits awful and looks awful too.

Any suggestions? I had a uniqlo button down shirt but it crushed / creased real easily and looked pretty disheveled by the end of the work day.
Get a steamer. Seriously, they're much better than irons and a lot less work.

Oxn

Ive only found jcrew to be decent. Have a couple of their casual dress shirts. Their fit however is right for me, but just a tad tight.

Davidion

Well, that seals it.

The next question: monogram or not? :p

I've always wanted to get a shirt with my initials. Just looks dope.

Tyrwhitt shirts are often on sale for ~$30. Try it first then monogram!

Uniqlo make good cheap t-shirts, though banana tees are better.

Hero

Well, that seals it.

The next question: monogram or not? :p

I've always wanted to get a shirt with my initials. Just looks dope.

As I said earlier in this thread, use the /subway promotion to get a shirt + tie + shipping for 35 dollars. It's one per address though, but that's a steal of a price to try it. Monogram isn't really necessary. Also, no pocket = dressier, pocket = casual.

Kayhan

Browsing amazon I came across "local mode" brand. It seems like a no-name brand with a shitty website, but their shirts are exactly what I'm looking for.

q2yZW7c.png

B3pKlxa.png

But I almost never buy clothes online because I like to try them on first. And I really don't want the hassle of ordering them, trying them on, then returning if they don't fit. Where do you shop for dress shirts like these in person? Malls never have the size I want.

These two shirts are hideous. Just my two cents. Which incidentally is the most I would pay for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom