• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Vanillaware game do you think has the best art style?

ScOULaris

I have a great deal of respect for George Kamitani and his ragtag team of artists at Vanillaware. As a group, they continue to operate independently in a space that most developers and publishers have completely abandoned. Kamitani's unique painterly art style is recognizable instantly to anyone who has played any of Vanillaware's games, and the studio's dedication to hand-drawn 2D assets and RPG/action gameplay is unique to them in an industry where the race toward photo-realism in 3D worlds dominates the market.

Since I've been on a traditional 2D animation kick (inspired by my recent playthrough of Rayman Legends), I have been revisiting some Vanillaware games and marvelling at their artistry. Interestingly enough, all of their games manage to have their own aesthetic identity despite certain elements of Kamitani's artwork being unmistakable. All of their games are unequivocally gorgeous and largely unmatched in the 2D realm, but I'm interested to hear which of their games' art styles appealed to people the most.

I'll post a few pics of their most widely known games below to help refresh the memories of those of you who haven't played a Vanillaware game in a while.

Princess Crown (Sega Saturn)
54366-Princess_Crown_(J)-14.jpg
54366-Princess_Crown_(J)-1.jpg
54366-Princess_Crown_(J)-6.jpg

This is the only Vanillaware game that I never got the chance to play, but I've see enough of it in motion to know that it was a gorgeously animated game for its time. Combining traditional pixel-art sprites with some 3D background elements, Princess Crown looks quite different from the Vanillaware games that would follow because they would go on to use hand-drawn artwork as opposed to pixels for all of their visual assets. This lends the game a very unique look that I can see fans of pixel art preferring over Vanillware's other offerings.

Odin Sphere (PS2)

This was my first exposure to Kamitami's exquisite hand-drawn artwork, and man did it leave an impression on me. As a fan of 2D gaming that lamented its decline in the face of 3D dominance, this game was like a dream come true. It's clear that this was a passion project for Kamitani, and its success allowed him to continue operating independently with his team and making the type of games that only they can produce. While this game suffered a bit from overuse of the same environments and enemies (as all Vanillaware games do to an extent), I still adored the huge bosses, painterly backdrops, and Kamitani's uniquely Japanese take on Norse Mythology.

Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Wii/VITA)

For some reason, Muramasa didn't click with me when I first picked it up years ago. It must have been the mood I was in at the time, because I recently started a new playthrough and am loving every minute of it. This game was more firmly entrenched in Japanese culture and visual traditions than Odin Sphere, and from what I've seen so far there is already an even greater variety of environments, enemies, and bosses in Muramasa than its predecessor. The animation of the characters seems more energetic and fluid as well. To me, Muramasa represents Vanillaware's maturation and confidence with whatever tools they use in-house in crafting these 2D experiences. That being said, I still find myself preferring some of the character designs in Odin Sphere more. Muramasa wins hands down in the backdrop department, though.

Dragon's Crown (PS3/VITA)

Lastly we have Vanillaware's first foray into HD game development and their most expensive project yet at over $1 million. Summarily, the extra time and budget dedicated to this game is evident right out the gate. The amount of detail on display in crisp 1080p is astonishing at times, and the quantity and quality of animations for the main characters, enemies, and bosses are a clear notch above Vanillaware's previous releases. The boss fights, in particular, look like an animated film come to life at times. Technically, I believe that Dragon's Crown is their greatest achievement in the realm of 2D art.

Stylistically, however, DC is a bit more divisive. With this game, Kamitani was going for his own take on the old-school fantasy designs of yesteryear. This means that men are hulking brutes and women are impossibly endowed and pretty absurdly sexualized. Whether or not that offends you is one thing, but I can see people preferring the look of Vanillaware's previous efforts over this in terms of art direction. Even with all the added detail and resolution, Dragon Crown's divergent art style simply isn't for everyone.

Note: I'm aware that I left GrimGrimoire out of my list of games, but that was only because I was running short on time writing this OP and don't find its art style to be different enough from Odin Sphere's to warrant its own write-up. Feel free to nominate it as your favorite, however, if that's how you feel.

Edit: D'oh! Looks like I also left out Grand Knights History, which some of you might have played despite it not having been released outside of Japan.

Laconic

Banned
Dragon's Crown.

No contest.

Old school High Fantasy art, hearkening back to when no apologies were needed.

wiibomb

Muramasa all the way, the artstyle is amazing there, even more when you get to see the HD version in a OLED Vita, it really comes to life..

one of my favorite games

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Though I prefer Dragon's Crown as a game, Muramasa has much more interesting and vibrant environments.

The fish eye effect in the tall castle/monastery areas are really neat.

Skyzard

Banned
So many people like Muramasa for the art style.

I hated the colours used. - I played it on Vita, OLED screen. I hear it was out on Wii before, maybe that's why.

So much saturation for 90% of my playtime. I stopped playing.

Big fan of Dragon's Crown though. Also played it on Vita.

studyguy

Vanillaware feels like one of those companies that keeps refining their art style with each release. I can't say the older ones look better simply due to how much they build on the elements I see in them on Dragon's Crown.

ScOULaris

I cant pick, they are all so good. Its alaso amazing that you can tell they are teh same developer, yet they all look so unique

Even if Kamitani's work wasn't so distinctive, you'd still be able to tell because there are no other developers out there making hand-drawn 2D games to this scale. Vanillaware is the last of a dying breed. Even indie developers rely on simple pixel art most of the time, which looks good but is a totally different ballgame from these hand-painted backdrops and sprites.

One of the only other developers who thus far have stuck to hand-drawn 2D is Supergiant Games, and they did some fantastic work on the look of Transistor IMO.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Wow. I didn't know that made more than half of these games. Im going to pick up Oden Sphere for the PS2. Would love to try out Princess Crown.

Syril

Even if Kamitani's work wasn't so distinctive, you'd still be able to tell because there are no other developers out there making hand-drawn 2D games to this scale. Vanillaware is the last of a dying breed. Even indie developers rely on simple pixel art most of the time, which looks good but is a totally different ballgame from these hand-painted backdrops and sprites.

One of the only other developers who thus far have stuck to hand-drawn 2D is Supergiant Games, and they did some fantastic work on the look of Transistor IMO.
Don't forget Skullgirls.

Reknoc

Muramasa, but Dragon's Crown is a very close second.

edit: actually; both. They're both as equally gorgeous so it really depends on if I'm in the mood for high fantasy or japanese mythology

Sanctuary

Never played much of Muramasa, because the gameplay was just too simplistic, but the aesthetics were absolutely amazing. I'd probably have to pick that, even though I played the hell out of Dragon's Crown for about five weeks.

amarito69

Muramasa for the style.
The japanese language level they use is insane!

By the way,I found their games not very fun...quite repetitive,especially Dragon's Crown.
Any recommendation?

SerTapTap

Muramasa for sure. Dragon's Crown looks great and has the HD edge, but the exaggeration (not just the boobies) is a bit much and Muramasa comes off as better looking as a complete package.

Don't forget Skullgirls.

Best animation by far too. I know it's way, way cheaper, but the animation in Dragon's Crown is occasionally really obviously paper-dolled.

Muramasa for the style.
The japanese language level they use is insane!

By the way,I found their games not very fun...quite repetitive,especially Dragon's Crown.
Any recommendation?

Sorry but that's kinda...a Vanillaware thing as well from my limited experience (odin sphere, dragon's crown, muramasa). I think they're good enough but dangerous to binge on.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I prefer Dragon's Crown art style because despite some criticism they stuck to their vision of going over the top on the character designs...not to mention there's alot of eye candy in that game if you catch my drift.

Celegus

Odin Sphere will always hold a special place in my heart, but Muramasa is quite nice as well. They're an incredibly talented team, as far as art goes.

Tie between Dragons Crown and Grand Knights

Love their fantasy stuff!

Cannot wait to see what they are working on next. They have been silent for a long time now

Since 2013?

Tarsul

I love their style overall. However, due to me being a fantasy fan I'll have to go with Dragon's Crown. I love every character in this game. I love the style, I love the colors. Artistically, it's my favorite game ever.

They are all excellent. But my favorites are Dragon's Crown and Odin Sphere due to Medieval/Fantasy setting.

Muramasa is also gorgeous.

Re-release them all for my PS4 and let me put it up on my LED and I'll let you know! lol

Nah, I'll go with Dragons Crown though. Magnificent. Even though Odin Sphere is phenomenal too

Love Vanillaware. Have we heard what they are currently up to?

Don't forget, while not Vanillaware titles, Kamitani had a hand (including art wise) with the Capcom Dungeons & Dragons brawlers (Tower of Doom, and Shadows over Mystara).

It's hard to choose but I think Muramasa JUST edges out Dragon's Crown for me, especially with the release of the DLC. Some really unique and refreshing character and enemy designs shine through.

It's a toss-up for me between Dragon's Crown and Muramasa

I absolutely love his takes on high fantasy, and I couldn't give either the upper hand in this selection. They're both so excellently designed as far as medieval and Eastern fantasy are respectively concerned. I absolutely cannot wait to see what they're working on next.

Bittercup

They are all really great. If I have to pick I would give Dragon's Crown and Muramasa a tied top position. Both are absolutely gorgeous games.

Dambrosi

Banned
Dragon's Crown has the most consistent style throughout, but Muramasa just stands out more, especially on an OLED Vita. Both of them are tied for me as well.

I've often wondered how Vanillaware's painterly, exaggerated, yet smoothly-animated style would translate to the 3D space. I wonder if the tech is even there yet to do such a translation justice?

Top Bottom