• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Vanillaware game do you think has the best art style?

RyoonZ

Banned
The one designed by 14 year old teenage boy.

What it's name again? Dragon's Crown, yeah sounds right, mighty impressive that one.

Princess Crown.

I like how it was pretty and colourful and had a female protagonist. And wasn't too sexualized. It's one of my favourite SEGA Saturn games. I wish Vanillaware would make an HD version of it and put it on Steam.

SerTapTap

Dragon's Crown has the most consistent style throughout, but Muramasa just stands out more, especially on an OLED Vita. Both of them are tied for me as well.

I've often wondered how Vanillaware's painterly, exaggerated, yet smoothly-animated style would translate to the 3D space. I wonder if the tech is even there yet to do such a translation justice?

Frankly I don't think so. GG Xrd shows a very clean anime style can translate over, but much like Amano's art I'm not sure Vanillaware's stuff CAN be moved to 3D properly, and if it can I don't think we're near the level of graphical fidelity to do that...and even if we were there's no way Vanillaware's team or budget are remotely up to the task.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I've rarely seen that Kumatanchi game before, that's actually pretty unique for them.

For the rest of the games, save for Princess Crown, they pretty much feel like a mix of growths of the execution of the same style, and a varied selection of characters from within the same basic universe. I love the fact that what we're playing in DC looks like the boss monsters all the way back in Princess Crown or Odin Sphere.

Vanillaware seems to have one of the few styles that seems to have fused the strengths of traditional hand-drawn animation and more "puppet like" skeletal animation together to make something great.

Dragon's Crown wins for being the strongest showing so far. I normally fall for the pixel styles, but the textures and colors of Princess Crown look much less meant to be together than his more recent hand-painted sprite pieces.

I heard Kamitani made some of the bosses of Capcom D&D arcade single-handedly. I'd love to see what would happen if Vanillaware made a 100% old school pixel art style arcade game, with none / very little of the skeletal stuff.

JimPanzer

1. Dragons Crown
2. Grand Knight History
3. the obscure DS game

btw. any news on what they are up to? need some more vanillaware in my life.

baconcow

I have Muramasa and Dragons' Crown. While I enjoy the wonderful moving scenery in Muramasa, Dragon's Crown has the best art.

Protome

Muramasa, especially the Vita version.

Dragon's Crown looks nice too but it was a little bit too fanservice-y for me.

sn00zer

Muramasa. Only game I could tell what was going on onscreen at all times. Vanillaware tends to over design so the characters, enemies, items, and backgrounds all sort of blend together. This was a HUGE issue for me in Dragon's Crown. Muramasa kept the art in check resulting in a beautiful and readable game.

BasilZero

Muramasa was good but what got me into them was Odin sphere - not only the fantastic artwork which I am a huge fan of but the music and the characters too *-*

Sakujou

Banned
odin sphere all the way.

was my first vanillaware game and the reason i bought the ps2 in the US.
i also enjoyed dragons crown and muramasa, but odin sphere was just perfect. awesome characters, plenty of story, awesome english voices and the amazing crippling of fps felt just right.

if fps are going down, i feel like shit yeah, there is something going on on the screen.

SerTapTap

Muramasa, especially the Vita version.

Dragon's Crown looks nice too but it was a little bit too fanservice-y for me.

I mean, if you pay attention pretty much all of them are. The difference in Dragon's Crown is simply the exaggeration. Not just boobs either, there's one guy with like 5 foot long arms, everyone looks weird. There's still the Kitsune with the massive tits and the hot springs stuff in Muramasa too. Honestly the primary difference is your character model isn't one of the fanservice ones.

odin sphere all the way.

was my first vanillaware game and the reason i bought the ps2 in the US.
i also enjoyed dragons crown and muramasa, but odin sphere was just perfect. awesome characters, plenty of story, awesome english voices and the amazing crippling of fps felt just right.

if fps are going down, i feel like shit yeah, there is something going on on the screen.

Slowdown, not FPS drops. Extremely different result in feel and responsiveness. Slowdown can be good if rare, and doesn't generally impede player performance (it improves it in most well designed shmups). FPS drops are universally bad.

LogN

Odin's Sphere for me. I loved the character and level design. Dragon's Crown would be a second, though I honestly hate the Sorceress' look.

Espada

Dragon's Crown has the most consistent style throughout, but Muramasa just stands out more, especially on an OLED Vita. Both of them are tied for me as well.

I've often wondered how Vanillaware's painterly, exaggerated, yet smoothly-animated style would translate to the 3D space. I wonder if the tech is even there yet to do such a translation justice?

The techniques Arcsys used to create Xrd could easily recreate Vanillaware's style in 3D. GG characters are ridiculous in terms of attire and proportion, so it wouldn't be too difficult to make the Amazon or Velvet or Momohime in 3D.

Anyway, this is a difficult choice. I love the artwork that goes into Vanillaware's games, and when I see exceptionally well done 2D games (like Rayman Legends or Child of Light) my mind uses Vanillaware as a reference.

I'd have to say Muramasa simply because of the sheer variety of locales, the palettes ranging from vivid and surreal to earthy and dull. That ascent through the burning tower while Bloody Battle plays? Complete with fisheye effect? Damn.

I really hope Vanillaware gives Grand Knights History another shot

We really really missed out with that one

So pretty and soooo good

JordanN

Banned

Dragon's Crown uses polygons. At least for a lot of the backgrounds and environments pieces. Not everything was 2D.

injurai

Banned
You also left out Kumatanchi. :p I thought its sprites and background were pretty impressive for the DS:

kumatanchi_screenshot01.jpg

that looks adorbs, i must play it

Espada

I really hope Vanillaware gives Grand Knights History another shot

We really really missed out with that one

So pretty and soooo good

Man, I still remember the day I found it that the localization was scrapped. I was looking forward to that one quite a bit.

Ultimadrago

Dragon's Crown straight up. That gorgeous art kept me playing (and replaying and replaying through all the shamelessly recycled content).

You also left out Kumatanchi. :p I thought its sprites and background were pretty impressive for the DS:

D'aaw

Man, I still remember the day I found it that the localization was scrapped. I was looking forward to that one quite a bit.

Its been mostly localized by fans at this point

Without the Online play though its missing a few things. Still a blast to play though

I wish they had implemented a way to go to war with friends locally

Dambrosi

Banned
The techniques Arcsys used to create Xrd could easily recreate Vanillaware's style in 3D. GG characters are ridiculous in terms of attire and proportion, so it wouldn't be too difficult to make the Amazon or Velvet or Momohime in 3D.
Yeah, but I feel that the texture work and animation would have to be absolutely spot on for it to work as intended, especially for the characters. I don't know of anyone except Arcsys and Vanillaware themselves who could do it properly. I love Xrd, though, so nice reference.

Puru

I'd say Muramasa personally but Dragon's Crown is quite close.

I didn't knew the guy who made that Habanero girl comic worked for Vanillaware (then again i barely follow who works where). Looks cute enough.

Dragon's Crown uses polygons. At least for a lot of the backgrounds and environments pieces. Not everything was 2D.

They do a really good job disguising them as 2d though! Everytime i go up the spiral staircase outside a castle in one of the levels, i do a double take... Cause it looks like a looping 2d animation that gives the impression of 3d. Honestly i'm still not 100% sure, looks damn good either way! And in the credits sequence on normal at least (need to get back to this game!) what appears to be a 1st person dungeon walkthrough also looks like a cleverly scaled, looped and masked 2d image.

Karkador

Banned
I think Odin's Sphere hits the right blend of fantasy for me. There's such a variety of weird and colorful things happening in that game. The other games are good, too, but a bit more monochromatic in theme.

I adore the look of Dragon's Crown. The art book that came with it is pretty dope, too. I just have to like, hide it from my girlfriend basically.

Even if Kamitani's work wasn't so distinctive, you'd still be able to tell because there are no other developers out there making hand-drawn 2D games to this scale. Vanillaware is the last of a dying breed. Even indie developers rely on simple pixel art most of the time, which looks good but is a totally different ballgame from these hand-painted backdrops and sprites.

One of the only other developers who thus far have stuck to hand-drawn 2D is Supergiant Games, and they did some fantastic work on the look of Transistor IMO.
and now you have depressed me...I do have transistor, havent gotten around to playing it yet

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Although I think Dragon's Crown looks better in motion (better animations mainly), Muramasa has the overall better art design, so I guess Ill go with Muramasa.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken but wasn't Grand Knight History an online only game? So even if I imported it I'd be kinda screwed wouldn't I?

Muramasa's backgrounds are so nice to gawk at that it makes their repetition throughout just a bit more forgiveable than it should be.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken but wasn't Grand Knight History an online only game? So even if I imported it I'd be kinda screwed wouldn't I?

Its totally playable offline

It has a single player "Campaign" of sorts thats meant to train up troops. Then you can play offline WAR against the CPU and thats about it

They dont even have the servers up in Japan anymore.... Like I said I really hope they revisit the series and its ideas. Its was a very satisfying strategic RPG

Odin Sphere for me.

I should really replay that game sometime. I remember loving the game's art design and gameplay but I'm not sure how much it will hold up for me now. I say this because it was one of my first niche JRPGs.

Apathy

Muramasa for me personally. The world was brought to life with the art. I cannot wait to see what they do with their first game on the new consoles.

1. Dragons Crown
2. Grand Knight History
3. the obscure DS game

btw. any news on what they are up to? need some more vanillaware in my life.

They have been silent since finishing Dragons Crown in 2013

Like they have done Updates for DC and DLC for Muramasa but the new core project is a mystery

I saw a Kamitani interview last year saying he wants his next project to go back to the roots of Japanese culture or something.

He didn't want to do another Western Fantasy inspired game. Ill see if I cant find the interview

Dragon's Crown. Muramasa is a close second mind. Muramasa Rebirth on OLED looked beautiful, made the game's style more bright and colourful. And the improved quality of art for the DLC looked even better probably because it was drawn/designed for the Vita version, not ported from the Wii.

Wait, I might like Muramasa Rebirth over Dragon's Crown

ScOULaris

Wow. I didn't know that made more than half of these games. Im going to pick up Oden Sphere for the PS2. Would love to try out Princess Crown.

DO IT. It outstays its welcome a bit, but the story/characters are the best of any Vanillaware game and the seed planting system is neatly implemented.

I always got a kick out of planting sheep or chicken plants, letting them sprout, then chasing them down and killing them for their meat. Japanese quirkiness at its finest.

Fredrik

Dragon's Crown is my favorite, the sorceress is a bit distracting with all the jiggly bits but it's still one of the prettiest 2D games ever made, and it plays great too, feels like a modern Golden Axe.

wrowa

Muramasa. Loved the Japanese-inspired art. Never cared for Dragon's Crown's graphics on the other hand.

In the end, it doesn't really matter though, since their games make me fall asleep after a few minutes. :p

Top Bottom