• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Vanillaware game do you think has the best art style?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Probably Muramasa by a thin margin. Dragon's Crown had amazing background and enemy art, but I don't care much for the character art.

Dio

Banned
I'm going to be the contrarian here and say I prefer the animation/style of Princess Crown because it's not a static picture with bones in it being moved around. They've been doing this since the PS2 days, sure, but I much prefer it when 2D games aren't done with those kinds of techniques. It makes a game look a bit too much like it was made in Flash.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
wouldnt even know they were different games if you didn't label them
Really now
Momohime_VS_Orge.jpg
vs

Japanese mythology vs medieval high fantasy. Seems obviously different to me...

Teknoman

This just makes me want a 1080p RPG with turn based battles that looks like Grand Knight History but in a universe similar to Muramasa, especially if he wants to go all historical Japanese.

Actually...it makes me realize that i've been waffling back and forth on Odin Sphere for way too long.

Princess Crown pretty easy to play without knowing Japanese?

Pejo

Gold Member
Ah Vanillaware, one of my top 3 developers. It's really hard for me to make a choice on "best" art style, as that's one of the main reasons I buy their games, but overall I'd have to say Dragon's Crown slightly edges out Muramasa.

I've always been a fan of the high fantasy stuff, even though I really like the Japanese designs too, plus there was just so much more diversity with Dragon's Crown.

I too am reminded that the DLC for Muramasa is now done, and I have to pick them up asap.

Can't wait to see their next project!

ZdkDzk

Muramasa. I feel like Dragon's Crown has better animations, but in terms of art, Muramasa blows it out of the water.

nampad

Only played Muramasa and Dragon's Crown and of both, I would pick the former. I am not offended by the over exaggerated character design of Dragon's Crown but I don't think the hulking thighs of the amazon or the watermelons of the sorceress look nice.

Don't like the design of the ultra hard first DLC boss in Muramasa though.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Man I loaded up my Kumatanchi half a year ago after some long period of neglect. She was dead dead ;-;

Fun fact, the guy that did Kumatanchi was responsible for the food eating animations in Muramasa. It shows!

You are a bad, bad, bad person.

I did the same thing. D:

vato_loco

As far as art style is concerced, Odin Sphere is the one for me. I still look at it and love it with every fiber of my self.

Muramasa is amazing as well, but I fell in love with Odin Sphere's characters. Dragon's Crown showed what they could do on HD, but it felt cluttered and with four players on screen there was no telling who was doing what.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I have a hard time choosing between Muramasa and Dragon's Crown. If forced to pick, I guess I would go with Dragon's Crown, as the art really drew me into the world and made me feel like I actually was going on a medieval adventure (okay, that sounds pretty nerdy). I do wish Vanillaware hired more employees, which would hopefully lend itself to more variety in terms of art, but also enemies, bosses, dungeons. They did make a shit ton of money with Dragon's Crown, so who knows, maybe they will for their next project.

That GKH trailer definitely wowed me the most.

Breaks my heart

That they never gave it a chance

During the time it was supposed to come out i think it would have sold really well. Vita was having a lull in games and people were hungry for something

It was an excellent online war RPG and i think a lot of people would have loved it

ScOULaris

Actually...it makes me realize that i've been waffling back and forth on Odin Sphere for way too long.

Do it, man. I recommend the PSN version if you have $10 to spare. It has the best characters and story of any Vanillaware game, even the combat is comparatively a little clumsy compared to their later offerings.

Reknoc

I've seen the 2015 image a lot (I love it) but I'm just now noticing how uh, interesting the ones on the side with their chest piece down look.

Looks like Kamitani doesn't give any fucks about taking the backlash against his DC female character designs into consideration. Haha.

I wonder what this is all about. Maybe they're making some kind of cyberpunk game with a female protagonist?

It's just standalone art. Kamitani makes a new image each year that shows up on their frontpage. It's never anything connected to their actual games.

ScOULaris

It's just standalone art. Kamitani makes a new image each year that shows up on their frontpage. It's never anything connected to their actual games.

Oh, okay. Hopefully we'll get some insight into what they're working on at one of the trade shows this year. Tough to say, however, as Dragon's Crown took like 3-4 years to develop. DC's success means that they are almost certainly working on something, though.

Well, DC was originally unveiled in 2011. That was at Sony's E3 conference that year. Vanillaware's artstyle is so distinctive that people instantly knew that it was one of their games. So, even with a long dev schedule we could still get to see whatever they're working on this year. I'm guessing that with the success of DC that it also means that their next game will likely be multiplatform.

On a side note, it seems that a lot of Japanese devs loved DC. 4gamers 2013 Best Games list saw 12 devs pick it as their favorite games. That was tied with GTAV as having the second most votes. TLoU had the most with 14. Interestingly a number of Capcom devs picked it as their favorite game, and Kamitani has said that Capcom rejected it. Anyway, I do hope that we'll see some more beat 'em ups out of Japan in the future. DC's sales should show that there's still a market for the genre.

LOVE all of them but I think I'll go with Oden Sphere since it's the one that actually got me hooked on their art style. and consider the power of PS2, that's really impressive the animation they were able to express on it (not counting slowdown). also love the more fantasy -ish design all the characters got, and their signature food animation is wonderful here too.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
This thread inspired me to pick up GrimGrimoire, Oden Sphere and Muramasa Rebirth.

I already own Muramasa Rebirth because of PS+. But thanks to the PlayStation TV, I was able to play this masterpiece and bought it anyway for my collection

My Vanillaware collection so far:

DSC_0291_zpsjdxtuulu.jpg

Well they all use the same artist, so it's the same artstyle. You can look at all them and definitely tell it. The settings are just different not the style.

So hard to choose.

Dragons Crown was amazing. Amaaaaaazing.

But Odin sphere...goddamn that resource hogging game was gorgeous.

Can't choose. Both numero uno. Highly anticipating the next VW game.

Top Bottom