• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Vanillaware game do you think has the best art style?

so1337

Toss-up between Muramasa and Odin Sphere. Those two have the strongest character designs out of any Vanillaware game.

ScOULaris

Toss-up between Muramasa and Odin Sphere. Those two have the strongest character designs out of any Vanillaware game.

Yeah, I agree with you on that. I think that the main cast of Odin Sphere is their best work in terms of character design, while Muramasa takes the cake in the boss design department IMO.

Probably Muramasa. The feudal Japan, ninja, samurai etc. theme is more appealing to me than fantasy. They all have 10/10 aesthetics, though.

Lucain2.gif

DC seems to have the best art but I prefer Muramasa's setting.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Dragons Crown because it made tons of people salts over the art style.

With that being put aside Kumatanchi was awesome just due to one of my favorite artists Shigatake being behind the project.

ThaPhantom

Odin Sphere. I remember being completely absorbed into the game and a big part of that was the gorgeous art style. I was enamored by it and it adds a lot of atmosphere to that game's universe. Odin Sphere hands down.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Odin Sphere, easy. I wish I could erase it from memory, and play it again fresh.

The art and music blended so beautifully, which really drew me into the story

batbeg

I really need to play some other Vanillaware games some time. Odin Sphere is probably in my top twenty or thirty games ever made, but the only one I have played to date. I was super hyped for Dragon's Crown but wanted to co-op it and had nobody to play with.

kiryogi

Banned
You also left out Kumatanchi. :p I thought its sprites and background were pretty impressive for the DS:

kumatanchi_screenshot01.jpg

Man I loaded up my Kumatanchi half a year ago after some long period of neglect. She was dead dead ;-;

Fun fact, the guy that did Kumatanchi was responsible for the food eating animations in Muramasa. It shows!

so1337

Yeah, I agree with you on that. I think that the main cast of Odin Sphere is their best work in terms of character design, while Muramasa takes the cake in the boss design department IMO.
YES. My thoughts exactly.
Man I loaded up my Kumatanchi half a year ago after some long period of neglect. She was dead dead ;-;

Fun fact, the guy that did Kumatanchi was responsible for the food eating animations in Muramasa. It shows!
Oh man, I forgot about those. Such an insane amount of detail for something so extraneous.

ScOULaris

YES. My thoughts exactly.

Oh man, I forgot about those. Such an insane amount of detail for something so extraneous.
My wife was watching me play Muramasa earlier, and she was confused as to why all of the food animations were so damn elaborate.

I personally really enjoy all of the extra detail Vanillaware puts into the various foods in their games. It's a cool signature quirk of theirs.

Zaventem

With the exception of princess crown they all look have a similar look. It's probably come down to people picking which games they prefer more ITT.

The first time I saw the rolling detailed fields of Muramasa, I knew I was in for something great.

Then it became a repetitive slog through 2 story campaigns even with cheats to unlock all of the weapons.

Game was still beautiful as fuck though.

Man, I would love a Muramasa collection on PS4 as well as a Dragon's Crown port (preferably with extra content). I think both of those games look amazing. With Sony throwing money at Capcom, I hope they look at throwing some Vanillaware's way to make my requests and future games happen. Total package art though I probably would give to Muramasa as it definitely feels more varied compared to Dragons Crown.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Muramasa is the most beautiful looking.

Heck to be honest I had more fun with it than Dragon's Crown.

Ninja Dom

I've only played Dragons Crown and Muramasa, both on Vita.

Really nice art on them both, I can't decide which is best. But very boring games.

HardRojo

Muramasa definitely.
Odin Sphere is a close second since it's basically the same art style. I'd mention Dragon's Crown too but I don't really like the exaggerated characters so yeah.

kubricks

Thanks OP for bringing up my favourite developer!

Dragon's Crown with the best animation, Odin Sphere for best atmosphere.
(I don't understand the controversy behind DC, the designs are high fantasy, and a great one.)

What are they working on currently?

wapplew

Odin's Sphere have better character design.
Now, Dragon's crown 2 on PS4/PS3/PSVita cross play, thanks.

cybroxide

Tough call between Muramasa and Dragons Crown.... if I had to pick one I guess it would be Muramasa.
Those backgrounds were truly inspiring.

Top Bottom