• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

White Knight Chronicle Site Updated w/ message from Mr. Hino~

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Jun 9, 2005
34,533
0
0
33
Puerto Rico
twitter.com
Kagari said:
Yep. And I know I'm not alone in feeling that it was a good concept, poorly executed.
Well, that's funny because that's exactly how I feel about every single Level-5 game I've played. With the exception of DQ8 of course.

When I was playing IU I said on IRC that it reminded me more of a Level-5 game than a tri-Ace game. Lots of ideas without any proper execution.
 

rykomatsu

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2008
4,493
201
1,135
Kagari said:
There's a rumor on 2ch that this game is 1080p or at least supports it and the online portion is co-op... don't know how true that is.
Was able to procure the dengeki scans and here is the new info for WKC

-First RPG on the market to be native 1080p
-Storyline quality on par with that of DQ series story lines
-Image quality approaching that of Final Fantasy
-Aspects reminiscent of Monster Hunter
 

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Mar 3, 2007
7,282
0
0
rykomatsu said:
Was able to procure the dengeki scans and here is the new info for WKC

-First RPG on the market to be native 1080p
-Storyline quality on par with that of DQ series story lines
-Image quality approaching that of Final Fantasy
-Aspects reminiscent of Monster Hunter

This may be the first game since my Dreamcast days that I import a game from Japan despite not understanding one jot of Japanese.
 

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Feb 9, 2007
15,496
0
0
rykomatsu said:
Was able to procure the dengeki scans and here is the new info for WKC

-First RPG on the market to be native 1080p
-Storyline quality on par with that of DQ series story lines
-Image quality approaching that of Final Fantasy

-Aspects reminiscent of Monster Hunter
Hmm, may have to import.

Sounds fascinating.
 

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nov 28, 2007
60,685
1
0
Noblesville, IN
www.novacrystallis.com
rykomatsu said:
Was able to procure the dengeki scans and here is the new info for WKC

-First RPG on the market to be native 1080p
-Storyline quality on par with that of DQ series story lines
-Image quality approaching that of Final Fantasy
-Aspects reminiscent of Monster Hunter
OH SHI--

:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
 

klee123

Member
Dec 18, 2005
6,664
0
1,135
rykomatsu said:
Was able to procure the dengeki scans and here is the new info for WKC

-First RPG on the market to be native 1080p
-Storyline quality on par with that of DQ series story lines
-Image quality approaching that of Final Fantasy
-Aspects reminiscent of Monster Hunter
Awesome
 

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Jun 7, 2004
23,294
25
1,480
www.dcharlie.com
-Image quality approaching that of Final Fantasy
what does this even MEAN at this point in time?

amazing list of games to be compared to though

FF + MH + DQ...

why that's like the three big Japanese non-Nintendo games!

-Aspects reminiscent of Monster Hunter
i wonder if "aspects" means "the online bits" ?
 

badcrumble

Member
May 12, 2006
26,793
5
0
rykomatsu said:
Was able to procure the dengeki scans and here is the new info for WKC


-Storyline quality on par with that of DQ series story lines
r
So, more of a 'fun romp through crazy places' game than a story-driven fantasy epic. Interesting, and not necessarily what I had been expecting, but I hope it can live up to this hype.
 

PillowKnight

Member
Jan 15, 2007
2,487
0
0
rykomatsu said:
Was able to procure the dengeki scans and here is the new info for WKC

-First RPG on the market to be native 1080p
-Storyline quality on par with that of DQ series story lines
-Image quality approaching that of Final Fantasy
-Aspects reminiscent of Monster Hunter
No way...that's impossible.
 

rykomatsu

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2008
4,493
201
1,135
we'll see if this game lives up to Hino's hype

he's put some top franchise names out into the fray...lol

DCharlie said:
i wonder if "aspects" means "the online bits" ?
That would be my guess too...translation is off there...more directly it would translate roughly into something like "Tension similar to monster hunter" whatever that means...though i thought the really popular aspect of MH was the adhoc playmode or something..sorry took some liberties there.
 

Jonnyram

Member
Jun 8, 2004
19,828
0
0
Neo Tokyo
rykomatsu said:
-Aspects reminiscent of Monster Hunter
Well it actually says tension like _____________, but everyone has guessed that the blanks are MH and you've translated tension as "aspects reminiscent of".
 

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Jun 7, 2004
23,294
25
1,480
www.dcharlie.com
we'll see if this game lives up to Hino's hype

he's put some top franchise names out into the fray...lol
well yes, if i was hyping my product, i think i'd be comparing it to all the top series out there.

I'm not sure why people have jumped on the hype from the games creator as fact! Seems a bit odd! :)
 

zoku88

Member
Dec 25, 2006
19,497
0
0
31
rykomatsu said:
Was able to procure the dengeki scans and here is the new info for WKC

-First RPG on the market to be native 1080p
-Storyline quality on par with that of DQ series story lines
-Image quality approaching that of Final Fantasy
-Aspects reminiscent of Monster Hunter
Wait, according to who? The devs? Dengeki?
 

rykomatsu

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2008
4,493
201
1,135
Jonnyram said:
Well it actually says tension like _____________, but everyone has guessed that the blanks are MH and you've translated tension as "aspects reminiscent of".
well, it does say below that the title for #3 is a very popular hunting action game so pretty sure MH is a given. and i would think that tension that can be created by a game is one aspect of the game itself...like i said, sorry for taking some liberties there.

details will be revealed about #3 @ TGS.

DCharlie said:
well yes, if i was hyping my product, i think i'd be comparing it to all the top series out there.
haha, well, it sounds like a lot of gamers in Japan are sore about Hino overhyping RG for the JPN release. hope he's learned from the past and isn't overhyping this time.
 

rykomatsu

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2008
4,493
201
1,135
Preorder campaign started too

"Level 5 x Playstation" soundtrack
Selected works from WKC and previous Level 5 titles (i'm assuming for PS related games)

I wonder if there's going to be a ltd edition too



 

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Jun 7, 2004
23,294
25
1,480
www.dcharlie.com
haha, well, it sounds like a lot of gamers in Japan are sore about Hino overhyping RG for the JPN release. hope he's learned from the past and isn't overhyping this time.
it.... doesn't look like it does it? haha :)
 

Rpgmonkey

Member
Sep 29, 2007
6,794
0
0
rykomatsu said:
Was able to procure the dengeki scans and here is the new info for WKC

-First RPG on the market to be native 1080p
-Storyline quality on par with that of DQ series story lines
-Image quality approaching that of Final Fantasy
-Aspects reminiscent of Monster Hunter
Oh cool, at least it sounds like the story won't be all crazy and convoluted then. A simple little grand adventure while meeting lots of interesting people is usually all I need for me to think the plot was enjoyable. :)
 

nelsonroyale

Member
Sep 16, 2006
21,981
0
0
story approaching DQ hahaha....hardly the bench mark at all...but funny and charming none the less, I guess thats what he means...the same type of story and characters...
 

nelsonroyale

Member
Sep 16, 2006
21,981
0
0
Kagari said:
Doesn't surprise me.
I hope there's more to come.

SCEJ, YOU ARE ON NOTICE.

anyway, I enjoyed the story and characters in DQ8, but it wasnt particularly epic...which is what they keep asserting concerning this game
 

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Aug 30, 2005
22,609
0
0
32
Toronto, ON
nelsonroyale said:
anyway, I enjoyed the story and characters in DQ8, but it wasnt particularly epic...which is what they keep asserting concerning this game
They want to make an epic game that appeals to everyone from kids to adults like DQ, what's wrong with that?
 

Jonnyram

Member
Jun 8, 2004
19,828
0
0
Neo Tokyo
nelsonroyale said:
anyway, I enjoyed the story and characters in DQ8, but it wasnt particularly epic...which is what they keep asserting concerning this game
DQ8 was one of the most epic RPGs I have ever played. The epic sense of adventure is still unsurpassed by ANY game IMO.
 

Rolf NB

Member
Apr 22, 2007
12,914
0
0
Error said:
Well, that's funny because that's exactly how I feel about every single Level-5 game I've played. With the exception of DQ8 of course.

When I was playing IU I said on IRC that it reminded me more of a Level-5 game than a tri-Ace game. Lots of ideas without any proper execution.
Tri-Ace makes games for non-gamer graphics whores. Their combat systems are shit and so are their plots, and their being so enamoured with piling on junky auxiliary systems doesn't help either. Then they make it pretty at 60fps and call it a day.

Level 5 on the other hand makes good games, with sensible combat mechanics, good progressions, adequate rewards, gradual introduction of any layered systems, and they make sure the layered systems add to the game as a whole, and not just to the list of check-boxes ticked off.

There's something I still don't quite understand about Tri-Ace lovers. At first I thought you were just oblivious. It would make some sense if you simply lack the sensory capability to discern good games from shitty games, and so you come to accept whatever you spend your time with, which may then fall upon one of Tri-Ace's works. However, that theory can't explain why you then turn around and hate on solid, if not spectacular games made by actually competent studios. This is far beyond just crappy taste. You're actively seeking out your shitty games, and as such you can't be fully oblivious to quality. But why? Is this some wilder form of sticking up for the underdog? If Tri-Ace's fecal products bomb all the time, that'd be exactly what they deserve of course, but I haven't actually checked. Why do you forgive them all the terrible decisions they have made, but then hate on quality games when other studios make them?
 

nelsonroyale

Member
Sep 16, 2006
21,981
0
0
Jonnyram said:
DQ8 was one of the most epic RPGs I have ever played. The epic sense of adventure is still unsurpassed by ANY game IMO.
epic world yes, not epic storyline, thats what I meant....ffxii felt much more epic to me in general though...much bigger world, bigger citys, larger scale story...DQ8 had the best overworld however
 

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Jun 9, 2005
34,533
0
0
33
Puerto Rico
twitter.com
rykomatsu said:
Was able to procure the dengeki scans and here is the new info for WKC

-Storyline quality on par with that of DQ series story lines
-Image quality approaching that of Final Fantasy
-Aspects reminiscent of Monster Hunter
bwahahahahahahahaha :lol :lol

Did Hino really say this? All that name dropping makes me even more worried about this.
 

Enron

Banned
Jul 6, 2006
18,535
3
0
Atlanta, Ga
bcn-ron said:
Tri-Ace makes games for non-gamer graphics whores. Their combat systems are shit and so are their plots, and their being so enamoured with piling on junky auxiliary systems doesn't help either. Then they make it pretty at 60fps and call it a day.

Level 5 on the other hand makes good games, with sensible combat mechanics, good progressions, adequate rewards, gradual introduction of any layered systems, and they make sure the layered systems add to the game as a whole, and not just to the list of check-boxes ticked off.

There's something I still don't quite understand about Tri-Ace lovers. At first I thought you were just oblivious. It would make some sense if you simply lack the sensory capability to discern good games from shitty games, and so you come to accept whatever you spend your time with, which may then fall upon one of Tri-Ace's works. However, that theory can't explain why you then turn around and hate on solid, if not spectacular games made by actually competent studios. This is far beyond just crappy taste. You're actively seeking out your shitty games, and as such you can't be fully oblivious to quality. But why? Is this some wilder form of sticking up for the underdog? If Tri-Ace's fecal products bomb all the time, that'd be exactly what they deserve of course, but I haven't actually checked. Why do you forgive them all the terrible decisions they have made, but then hate on quality games when other studios make them?
:lol

hi-five, brother!
 

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Jun 9, 2005
34,533
0
0
33
Puerto Rico
twitter.com
Level-5 did Dark Cloud 1 and sorry but the Dark Cloud series is trash. Dark Cloud 1 is one of the worst rpgs I've ever played.

it's like level-5 had a list in hand and thought of the most annoying shit possible to put in a rpg and decided that was a good way to make a game.

Thirst system? check
weapons breaking? check
lame world building aspects? check
awful combat? check
Terrible item crafting system? check
no character customization? check

then they released Dark Cloud 2... Didn't even bother to fix what was wrong with the old game and decided to tacked in a lot more shit without any real coherence when it comes to game design. Bubububu you can control a robot now!

I haven't played Rogue Galaxy, because honestly the first two games they did were such trash that I couldn't even feign interest for this one.

Oh and before you take out the "they did DQ8!" card, they were just code monkeys for that as actual game design/scenario design was by Horii.

I don't get Level-5 lovers, really... They have yet to make a good game, yet they are heralded as a top RPG studio. 'The new Square' they say. Square didn't make itself huge by making crappy games and having a fanbase without any taste, so I think the situation is quite different here.

Level-5 only good games are the ones they don't design (Layton/DQ), which is completely awesome for such a 'competent studio'.
 

Baha

Member
Apr 5, 2008
7,268
0
0
Canada
Error said:
Level-5 did Dark Cloud 1 and sorry but the Dark Cloud series is trash. Dark Cloud 1 is one of the worst rpgs I've ever played.

it's like level-5 had a list in hand and thought of the most annoying shit possible to put in a rpg and decided that was a good way to make a game.

Thirst system? check
weapons breaking? check
lame world building aspects? check
terrible plot? check
terrible characters? check
awful combat? check

then they released Dark Cloud 2... Didn't even bother to fix what was wrong with the old game and decided to tacked in a lot more shit without any real coherence when it comes to game design. Bubububu you can control a robot now!

I haven't played Rogue Galaxy, because honestly the first two games they did were such trash that I couldn't even feign interest for this one.

Oh and before you take out the "they did DQ8!" card, they were just code monkeys for that as actual game design/scenario design was by Horii.

I don't get Level-5 lovers, really... They have yet to make a good game, yet they are heralded as a top RPG studio. 'The new Square' they say. Square didn't make itself huge by making crappy games and having a fanbase without any taste, so I think the situation is quite different here.

Level-5 only good games are the ones they don't design (Layton/DQ), which is completely awesome for such a 'competent studio'.
Jeanne D'arc was good, even used a henshin system with gems.
 

Mrbob

Member
Jun 7, 2004
63,747
2
0
Eventually, there does need to be some sort of monster RPG franchise successor to Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. Some company, some day, will come up with something just as huge. Maybe it will be WKC? Maybe not? Not really concerned about this...all I know is Level 5 makes some fantastic games, and I truly believe WKC is going to be the pinnacle of everything they have done so far. Can't wait to play it.
 

Zoe

Member
Jan 3, 2007
45,107
2
1,075
37
Austin
rykomatsu said:
-Storyline quality on par with that of DQ series story lines
Well you could see in the trailer that they ripped the
'meeting the Princess at the lake'
thing from DQVIII :lol
 

zoku88

Member
Dec 25, 2006
19,497
0
0
31
Zoe said:
Well you could see in the trailer that they ripped the
'meeting the Princess at the lake'
thing from DQVIII :lol
Well, copying is one way to get something on par :p
 

Riskbreaker23

Member
Sep 5, 2007
1,643
0
0
rykomatsu said:
-Aspects reminiscent of Monster Hunter
My prediction is that you will be able to do co-op online mission with your custom character to get material for synthesis.

this is a level 5 game so you gotta be combining stuff in some way and online co-op monster hunts would give people a reason to invest in there custom character.

many, including myself, would have just made the custom character and used them until a better story character joined the party (if you can remove the custom character from the party that is).

if level 5 were to give the CC an important role like being the only character you could use online, they would be come much valuable to the team.

also this system would allow for a lot of DLC in the form of new armor, weapons, and missions